[net.sources.d] Another question re: "grotwin"

barnes@infinet.UUCP (Jim Barnes) (07/17/86)

In article <277@cirl.UUCP> das@cirl.UUCP (Dave Steffens) writes:

>> Grotwin has been developed on a Sun 2 running release 2.2.  It should
>> however, run on any BSD 4.2 or 4.3 system, or indeed any system
>> which has pseudo terminals and the ability to poll a file descriptor
>> (select(), ioctl(FIONREAD) or otherwise).
>
>'Taint so.  Compilation of manager.c fails on 4.2bsd and Ultrix 1.1 because
>these systems don't have support for window size changes using SIGWINCH.

I tried compiling grotwin on our Ultrix 1.2 system and got the
following errors in manager.c.  Does anyone have any ideas where
'ttysize' and 'TIOCSSIZE' are defined?

"manager.c", line 955: unknown size          >> this references ttysize

	... other errors ...

"manager.c", line 960: TIOCSSIZE undefined
--
-------------------------

decvax!wanginst!infinet!barnes 		Jim Barnes

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (07/20/86)

In article <346@infinet.UUCP> barnes@infinet.UUCP (Jim Barnes) writes:
>I tried compiling grotwin on our Ultrix 1.2 system and got the
>following errors in manager.c.  Does anyone have any ideas where
>'ttysize' and 'TIOCSSIZE' are defined?

These are Sun specific features to get and set the window size.
TIOCSSIZE is the ioctl to set the screen size (which a window manager
must do) and in termlib, the corresponding ioctl TIOCGSIZE is used
to find out the size for vi and curses.  ttysize is the structure
passed to these ioctls.

There is no corresponding feature in vanilla 4.2BSD, which lacks a
window manager and the concept of a window size.  It is not heard
to add such a feature to the pty driver, however.  It has been added
in the AT&T 5620 window manager, for example, using the JWINSIZE
and JSWINSIZE ioctls.  Presumably X has yet a third incompatible
set of ioctls.  Sure would be nice if P.1003 would standardize this.
Fortunately, only window managers and termlib/curses care, it's
transparent to ordinary applications.

	Mark