[net.sources.d] LQ

chris@pixutl.UUCP (chris) (08/05/86)

why are all those PC binaries and sources being posted in net.sources?
don't they belong in net.micro?

Chris

--

 Chris Bertin       :  (603) 881-8791 x218
 xePIX Inc.         :

brown@nicmad.UUCP (08/06/86)

In article <27@pixutl.UUCP> chris@pixutl.UUCP (chris) writes:
>why are all those PC binaries and sources being posted in net.sources?
>don't they belong in net.micro?

[The following is my opinion.  Add a grain of salt and it is yours!]

I've also wondered that, but for probably a reason completely out-of-phase
with what you are expecting.

I have always considered net.micro and net.micro.pc a forum for discussion,
while net.sources just that: a place for sources.  There isn't a
net.sources.micro, nor is there a net.sources.[name-your-favorite-machine].
Also, net.sources is more likely going to be archived, while net.micro isn't.
At least that is the way I set it up on our machine.

But, what about binary code?  I guess they also should go in net.sources.
Why?  Archiving again.  Maybe, instead of net.sources it should be
net.programs (or whatever the new naming convention will be).

Enough said.
--

		  ihnp4------\
		harvard-\     \

lawrence@nvanbc.UUCP (Lawrence Harris) (08/17/86)

In article <27@pixutl.UUCP> chris@pixutl.UUCP (chris) writes:
>why are all those PC binaries and sources being posted in net.sources?
>don't they belong in net.micro?
>
>Chris
>
>--
>
> Chris Bertin       :  (603) 881-8791 x218
> xePIX Inc.         :
> 51 Lake St         :  {allegra|ihnp4|cbosgd|ima|genrad|amd|harvard}\
> Nashua, NH 03060   :     !wjh12!pixel!pixutl!chris

I personally prefer all sources posted to net.sources!  I keep net.sources but
not net.micro.  I find it very anoying having to move sources from where ever
somebody decided to post it to a safe directory so I don't loose it during a run
of expire.

If people don't like PC stuff in net.sources then maybe a net.sources.pc should
be created.  I wouldn't mind seeing a 'net.sources.xxxx' where xxxx was the
machine type the sources were intended for (ie. pc, SV3, SV5, etc.).

--

Lawrence Harris      : (604) 985-4785 evenings
                     : (604) 736-9241 days