[net.sources.d] S.2575 Elec Comm Priv Act text on net.sources

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) (08/28/86)

In article <3313@brl-smoke.ARPA> bogstad@brl.arpa (William Bogstad (JHU|mike) <bogstad>) writes:
>	First, I would like to thank Glenn for keying in the original
>Senate Bill 2575.  I recently received a copy of the changes made
>on August 12th and have merged them into the original posted by Glenn.
>The uuencoded, compressed, context difference file of these changes
>have been posted to net.sources.

It seems appropriate that I read this announcement in net.crypt.
Pardon the volume, but PLEASE DO NOT POST COMPRESSED AND UUENCODED
TEXT.  First, doing uuencode causes a 4/3 expansion, so you've
already thrown away most of the advantage of compress.  Second,
most sites already compress all news before sending it over a phone
line.  Compressing text twice often leads to EXPANSION.  Third, many
sites on the net don't have uuencode/decode, though public-domain
versions are available.  These people will all post articles to
net.sources (the wrong group) asking for uuencode.  Fourth, it
prevents people from using their favorite news interface to read
the text.  Fifth, a lot of new users will write and post asking
"what's this gibberish? what's uuencode? what's compress?"  Several
already have.

uuencode should only be used for binary files.

I don't intend to flame anyone because the intention was good.  But
it increases, rather than decreases, phone costs.  If on the other
hand, you read this and still do it, I hope you have an asbestos
suit.

Followups have been directed to net.sources.d.  Sorry for the wide
distribution, but I was afraid I'd miss someone who'd do the same
thing again when the bill is revised.

--
- Joe Buck 	{ihnp4!pesnta,oliveb,nsc!csi}!epimass!jbuck
  Entropic Processing, Inc., Cupertino, California