[net.sources.d] More info on larn 12.0 bugs

soussan@ihlpf.UUCP (Soussan) (09/04/86)

I have some more info on the bug in larn 12.0 which gives you armor
classes >200.

It seems to happen when a rust monster hits you, depleting your
armor class.  Instead of getting a lower AC, you get a better one
(>260!).

Hopefully, this will help you net.source.larn.players/fixers to
trace this, or if someone in-the-know e-mails to me which routines
to check (so I don't have to go through all of them), I can try
checking it out myself.

By the way - thanks for larn!

Daniel Soussan @ AT&T Bell Laboratories, Naperville IL

email: ihnp4!ihlpf!soussan

"No, ma'am, I don't spend ALL my company time playing games"

metro@asi.UUCP (Metro T. Sauper) (09/05/86)

In article <691@ihlpf.UUCP>, soussan@ihlpf.UUCP (Soussan) writes:
> I have some more info on the bug in larn 12.0 which gives you armor
> classes >200.
>
> It seems to happen when a rust monster hits you, depleting your
> armor class.  Instead of getting a lower AC, you get a better one
> (>260!).

The problem comes from the System V C complier (mine is level 3.1) treats
characters as unsigned.  The array for Rust Monster Damage in module
monster.c is a character array and has negative numbers.  Just change the
array type to be "short" and everything will be fine.

Metro T. Sauper, Jr.
ihnp4!ll1!bpa!asi!metro