[net.sources.d] which is the 'official' shar?

jlh@loral.UUCP (Jim Vaxkiller) (10/16/86)

At the prompting of our sys admin I'm going through my directories clearing
out cobwebs. Guess what boys and girls, I have 8 - 12 different shar/unshar
pairs!  I've got a compiled set in my .bin directory that has served me well
for over a year but don't know what sources they came from and don't feel
like compiling everything to find out.

What I wanna know is, is there a shar/unshar preferred by the net?  If
so, what's it's name and where do I get it??  Should it be posted so
everybody is on the same wavelength???  Except wizards, whom everybody
knows posts sources using macros in vi.

Note I make no mention of what machine or operating system I'm on.  It
would really be nice if the official shar worked on everything from a
cray running 4.7BSD to my little TI58 calculator.  I'm sick of unsharing
things, then using fpack on them to get them on other machines.

I await a flurry of mail with bated breath.

					Jim

Jim Harkins
Loral Instrumentation, San Diego
{ucbvax, ittvax!dcdwest, akgua, decvax, ihnp4}!sdcsvax!sdcc6!loral!jlh

jaw@nike.UUCP (James A. Woods) (10/17/86)

re: shar wars -- consider 'bundle' your baedeker.  it's in k&p, p. 98.

ems@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (10/17/86)

In article <674@nike.UUCP> jaw@nike.UUCP (James A. Woods) writes:
>re: shar wars -- consider 'bundle' your baedeker.  it's in k&p, p. 98.

   Almost called you on the phone to ask, but maybe others wish to know
also ( or am I once again, the only person who has yet to be told), but
what the heck is "k&p" ?
                              Thank-you,

 Gordon P. Vickers, (408) 991-5370,
 Signetics Corp., PO Box 409, M/S 69, Sunnyvale, Ca 94086
 {allegra,decvax,ihnp4}!philabs!prls!ems
  or
 {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amdcad!amdimage!prls!ems
*  Kick the habit: ask the American Lung Association about their          *
*   "Freedom From Smoking" class. It worked for me and 75% of the class.  *

jewett@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Bob Jewett) (10/19/86)

> What I wanna know is, is there a shar/unshar preferred by the net?  If
> so, what's it's name and where do I get it??
> It would really be nice if the official shar worked on everything from a
> cray running 4.7BSD to my little TI58 calculator.
> Jim Harkins

    "Bundle", mentioned in another response is a minimum shar.
    (see The UNIX Programming Environment, Kernighan and Pike, Prentice-Hall)

    It lacks the following features which I feel are essential (and available):

    1. Written in C for speed.
    2. Detect and pack binary files in an ASCII form.
       (include an unpacking program)
    3. Detect special input that might cause problems in mailers (lone ".")
       and perhaps prepend X.
    4. Optionally do error checking on receipt by "wc" or "sum".

    I doubt that you could get a TI58 to do the above.  Are you willing to
    grant a C compiler and standard UNIX utilities?

crayinc@mhuxi.UUCP (Rick) (10/20/86)

> In article <674@nike.UUCP> jaw@nike.UUCP (James A. Woods) writes:
> >re: shar wars -- consider 'bundle' your baedeker.  it's in k&p, p. 98.
>
>    Almost called you on the phone to ask, but maybe others wish to know
> also ( or am I once again, the only person who has yet to be told), but
> what the heck is "k&p" ?
>                               Thank-you,
>
>  Gordon P. Vickers, (408) 991-5370,
>  Signetics Corp., PO Box 409, M/S 69, Sunnyvale, Ca 94086
>  {allegra,decvax,ihnp4}!philabs!prls!ems
>   or
>  {ucbvax,decwrl,ihnp4,allegra}!amdcad!amdimage!prls!ems
> *  Kick the habit: ask the American Lung Association about their          *
> *   "Freedom From Smoking" class. It worked for me and 75% of the class.  *

Now Gordon,

   Everyone knows it's Kernighan and Pike(k&p) for UNIX, just like it's
Kernighan and Ritchie(k&r) for 'C'.

-- Rick Tillbrook
   ihnp4!mhuxi!crayinc

bill@sigma.UUCP (William Swan) (10/20/86)

In article <2320002@hpl-opus.HP.COM> jewett@hpl-opus.HP.COM (Bob Jewett) writes:
>>[...]It would really be nice if the official shar worked on everything from a
>>cray running 4.7BSD to my little TI58 calculator.
>[...]I doubt that you could get a TI58 to do the above.  Are you willing to
>grant a C compiler and standard UNIX utilities?

I will grant a C compiler (but I'll bet it could even be done in -ugh- Basic),
but Unix utilities aren't necessary.

Example: I am using a shar utility on my CP/M machine (no Unix utilities like
"sh" there!), written by a fellow named Mike Kerstenbrock (I hope that's
right) in Oregon (great job, Mike!). It works quite well, as long as somebody
hasn't tried to make a Trojan Horse shar file.

ems@prls.UUCP (Gordon Vickers) (10/22/86)

In article <842@mhuxi.UUCP> crayinc@mhuxi.UUCP (Rick) writes:
>> In article <674@nike.UUCP> jaw@nike.UUCP (James A. Woods) writes:
>> >re: shar wars -- consider 'bundle' your baedeker.  it's in k&p, p. 98.
>>
>>    Almost called you on the phone to ask, but maybe others wish to know
>> also ( or am I once again, the only person who has yet to be told), but
>> what the heck is "k&p" ?
>>                               Thank-you,
>>
>>  Gordon P. Vickers, (408) 991-5370,
>
>Now Gordon,
>
>   Everyone knows it's Kernighan and Pike(k&p) for UNIX, just like it's
>Kernighan and Ritchie(k&r) for 'C'.
>
>-- Rick Tillbrook
>   ihnp4!mhuxi!crayinc

   Of course I've heard of K&R, and everyone in the world has written to tell me
 of K&P. - Thank you all.
  I already have a few UNIX books but due to the number of responses and their
enthusiasic  content, guess I will be buying one more.

------------- fold, spindle, mutilate at will ------(it's your CRT) ----

simon@einode.UUCP (Simon Kenyon) (10/22/86)

>    Almost called you on the phone to ask, but maybe others wish to know
> also ( or am I once again, the only person who has yet to be told), but
> what the heck is "k&p" ?

The Unix Programming Environment
by Brian W. Kernighan and Rob Pike
Prentice-Hall Software Series
ISBN 0-13-937699-2
ISBN 0-13-937681-X {PBK}
THE book on Unix externals!

as for bundle
# To unbundle, sh this file
echo bundle 1>&2
cat >bundle <<'End of bundle'

# bundle:  group files into distribution package

echo '# To unbundle, sh this file'
for i
do
	echo "echo $i 1>&2"