Date: Wed, 12 Mar 86 11:18 PST
From: Dave Platt <Dave-Platt%LADC@CISL-SERVICE-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject: MacDraw document format

I believe that the internal MacDraw format is proprietary, and is
deliberately left undocumented.  It's not hard to coerce MacDraw into
giving you a more transportable QuickDraw file, however... simply
select "PICT format" in the Save As... dialog box, and you'll receive
a file containing a standard QuickDraw picture.  You can also do a
Select All, Copy, and then Paste into the Scrapbook;  your drawing will
be saved as a QuickDraw PICTure, and can then be pasted into another
application.

------------------------------

Date: 12 MAR 86 20:11-EDT
From: BOB%BCVAX3.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Creating non-standard applicion icons

Icon question...

I have created the resources necessary for a non-standard Icon to appear
with an application I am developing.  I have the BNDL, FREF, ICN# (=GNRL),
and WIN2 (=GNRL) resources set up.  Question - Is there a way to tell the
linker through the resource file (or any other file for that matter) what
the CREATOR of the application is (in this case WIN2)?  There should be
a better way than using FEDIT to change the finder file attributes.

Any help ?

Thanks,
Rocko        <BOB@BCVAX3.BITNET>
Boston College

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 86 09:58:16 EST
From: Shane_D._Looker%UMich-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Sound effects

Does anybody on the net have source code for generating video game type
sound effects on the Mac.  Source in C or Pascal would be very helpful.

      Shane Looker
      Looker%UMich-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Mar 1986 01:23 PST
From: POOL  <71263%UWACDC.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Epson Printer Drivers for Macintosh

I have been using Epstart for several months and it works fine on my
FX-100.  Epstart is made by SoftStyle and is advertised by some of the big
vendors in MacUser, MacWorld, etc.  However, it does not support 50%
reduction, and SoftStyle is not responsive to inquiries or problem reports.
It would not work right with the April '85 release of the System file, so I
continued using the '84 System along with Finder 4.1.  Epstart is lots
cheaper than Mac Epson Connection.  The vendor of that (Assimilation)
wouldn't answer my questions either.  Then there is Dresselhaus's
(818-914-5831) ROM upgrade for the FX that lets it allegedly emulate the
Imagewriter, for $80.  They say it comes with a 30-day unconditional
guarantee, so you could order it and see how it works.  I haven't tried it.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Mar 86 00:22:14 est
From: Roy Leban <roy%farg.umich.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: HFS Aztec C

According to the folks at Aztec, version 1.06H is supposed to be compatible
with HFS.  I'm not positive, but it might also have the symbolic debugger
too.  It think it's supposed to be released around the middle of March
which is right now, so I think I'll call them soon.
  -Roy.Leban  (roy%farg@umich)

------------------------------

Date: 12 Mar 86 12:51:35 est
From: Martin David Connor <mdc@MIT-HTVAX.ARPA>
Subject: DIN-8 is not mini-8, Apple's got a deal for you though.

I dug through the archives and found messages on the new mini-8
connector on the Mac+.  The moderator has thoughtfully added them to
SUMEX:<INFO-MAC>MACINTOSH.RS232 for all of us people who cringe at the
thought of paying $30 for a cable we can make ourselves for less.

I then went to my local (Harvard Coop) Macintosh dealer to see what
the back of the Mac+ looks like first hand.

Well, the DIN-8 on the back of the MODEL-100 is not the mini-8 on the
back of the Mac+.  So, there went one great idea.

Then I thought, well, mabe I should by one of these $30 cables with a
mini-8 connector on both ends and make myself a cable by cutting it in
half and putting my own DB-25 connectors and hoods and electrical tape
on.  An hour's amusement, tops.

Then I saw it.  It was just what I wanted (for $25 more than I wanted
to pay...).  Something called an "Apple// Modem Cable".  This thing
has a mini-8 on one end, and a male DB-25 on the other.  Ready to plug
in to my modem.  Whatta rip.

\{dialect-shift
So I plunked down my scratch, and was history.  I got back to the
crib, and pulled out the VOM and checked the pinouts, and all looked
righteous compared to what has been reported on this list about
working home-made cables.  Solid.
 }

So, for $30 I will be able to plug my Vadic "Triple Modem" into my
Mac+ and dial myself into telecommunications bliss as usual.

It was nice to find Apple did make this cable.  The mini-8 looks a
little hard to solder, unless 3rd party connectors are easier to deal
with on the soldering end.

Anyway, there's a tale to make you smile.
Next mission:  TML Pascal.

------------------------------

Date: 12 MAR 86 10:30-EDT
From: BOB%BCVAX3.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: A reply on 240 emulator's for the mac

  There is a company that puts out a VT240 emulator for the Mac...

  The address is:

        White Pine Software
        68 Route 101A
        Amherst, N.H.  03031
        (603) 673-8151

  I have seen the product in work at both the MacWorld Expo (last August)
and the DecWorld Convention (two weeks ago).  It seems to handle graphics
allright, but it does NOT allow font uploading, and appeared to be very
buggy.  Try it before you buy it !!!!

  Good luck,
  Rocko
  Boston College        <BOB@BCVAX3.BITNET>

-- As usual, I have no connection with, receive no money from, or even
talk to WPS...

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Mar 86 10:17:01 cst
From: dlnash@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU (Donald L. Nash)
Subject: Re: Beyond the horizon

> Date: 04 March 86 15:21 EST
> From: RGG%CORNELLC.BITNET@ucbvax.berkeley.edu
> Subject: Beyond the horizon
>
> Recently the micro press has waxed eloquent about the products expected
> to be based on the 80386, and some rumors are starting to surface about
> the 80486.  In the meantime, the best we have to look forward to is the
> 68020 (not to knock it...).  Is Motorola planning the next generation?
> What will it look like? Does anyone have any juicy rumors?
> Tom Dimock

:-)------------------------------

Whatever Motorola may be up to, they're keeping it quiet.  However, they
did just announce a digital signal processor chip (I don't have the
number), and will soon anounce (if they have not done so already), a new
MMU, the 68851.  Of course, improvements to the 68020 and 68881 are sure
to come as well.  However, any "next generation" chip they may be up to
is under wraps at this point.

					Don Nash

UUCP:    ...!{ihnp4,allegra,seismo!ut-sally}!ut-ngp!dlnash
APRA:    dlnash@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU
BITNET:  cceu001@utadnx

------------------------------

Date: 13 Mar 1986 00:02:14-EST
From: Walter.Smith@K.CS.CMU.EDU
Subject: ResEdit 1.0D4 likes HFS

I managed to delete all my copies of ResEdit 0.8 when I got 1.0D5 (I didn't
have a hard disk then!), and I couldn't find any accessible copies on the
Vax, so I thought I'd download 1.0D4 and try it.  It works fine under HFS.
At least, it edits files that aren't in the root directory.

- Walt
--
         Walter Smith, CS undergraduate, Carnegie-Mellon University
       uucp: ...!seismo!cmu-cs-k!wrs          ARPA: wrs@k.cs.cmu.edu

End of INFO-MAC Digest