[mod.mac] macplus and disk initialization: bug report!

DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET (03/18/86)

Date: 17 March 86 16:53-PST
From: DAVEG@SLACVM
To: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM
Subject: macplus and disk initialization: bug report!

Date: 17 March 1986, 16:44:49 PST
From: David M. Gelphman
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD

We just got a macplus and already I have found two bugs in
the disk initialization package. On one occasion when a disk failed
a double sided initialization, the mac reported with the initialization
failed dialog and then the mouse froze forcing a reboot. On two other
occasions, the mac got an address error during the disk initialization.
These problems occured on a MacPlus (NEW ROMS!!!), system 3.1.1 and
Finder 5.2.
  One interesting note is that out of 20 Sony DOUBLE SIDED disks, two
failed initialization the first try, then were initialized properly on a
second try. From what I have seen on the various BBOARDS regarding the
use of SINGLE sided disks formatted as 800k disks, there is
(from this small statistical sample) about the same difficulty formatting
both single sided and double sided disks as 800k disks!
David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          USENET address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538
usual disclaimer #432 applies: my employer apologies for the fact
that I have access to this net.