Date: 7 May 1986 16:10:07-EDT
From: Bob.Walker@faraday.ECE.CMU.EDU
Subject: cryptic posts (documentation please!)

Several messages lately have simply been of the form "This message contains
foobar.hqx", followed by a message from the moderator stating that the file
has been stored as <info-mac>foobar.hqx.

Either the sender didn't include a description, or the moderator stored it
with the file and deleted it from the message, but either way there's
nothing but the name to help us decide whether or not we want to take the
time to download if from SUMEX, and then to our Macs.

PLEASE include at least a brief description of the program you are
supplying, and please, Moderator, leave that description in the Digest as
well.  It's rather annoying to have to guess the functionality of a program
from its name, go to all the trouble to download it, and then find out it's
not what you think it is.

A little documentation goes a long way...

                - bob
                  bob.walker@faraday.ece.cmu.edu

[
from the moderator:

I never remove the description of a program from the message announcing
it.  If there is no description, I didn't get one.

Some sources I try out before posting -- but I am WAY behind in checking
out all the sources and just don't have time.  I may post it without a
description, BUT I AGREE that ALL sources should come with some word on what
they are and do.

Thanks.

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 May 86 07:40:10 PDT
From: jww@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Joel West)
Subject: Re: Ecology, MiniAda, etc.

Re: Ecology, MiniAda, etc.

Do you think the author could include a 1-line explanation of what
they are?  There's so much PD stuff now that many of us have to
consider whether we have a use for anything before we upload it.

	Joel West
	{ucbvax,decvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!jww
	jww@SDCSVAX.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 10 May 86 12:36:29 cdt
From: hammen@gumby.wisc.edu (Robert J. Hammen)
Subject: Current Apple software list as of April 21, 1986

Here is the official list (assuming I didn't make any typos) of current
Mac Software as of April 21, 1986.  This was given to me by our local
Apple rep, Phil Okun.

MACINTOSH PLUS SYSTEM TOOLS DISK			P/N 690-5064-A

File				Version Number		Last Updated
System File			3.0			1/86
Finder				5.1			1/86
Clipboard File			1.0			1/86
Scrapbook File			2.0			1/86
Font/DA Mover			3.0			1/86
ImageWriter			2.1			1/86
AppleTalk ImageWriter		2.1			1/86
LaserWriter			1.1			1/86
Laser Prep			1.1			1/86
The Namer			2.0			1/86
Chooser				2.0			1/86
Installer			2.0			1/86
Installer Scripts		1.0			1/86

HARD DISK 20 STARTUP DISK				P/N 690-5067-A
System File			2.1			9/85
Finder				5.0			9/85
Hard Disk 20			1.0			9/85
Hard Disk 20 Test		1.1			9/85
Font/DA Mover			2.5			9/85
Choose Printer			1.3			9/85

PRINTER INSTALLER DISK					P/N 690-5075-A
System File			3.1			2/86
Finder				5.2			2/86
Clipboard File			1.0			1/86
Scrapbook File			2.0			1/86
Printer Install			1.0			2/86
ImageWriter			2.2			2/86
AppleTalk ImageWriter		2.2			2/86
LaserWriter			3.0			2/86
Laser Prep			3.0			2/86
The Namer			2.0			1/86
Chooser				2.2			2/86
Installer			2.1			2/86

OTHER SOFTWARE
Font/DA Mover			3.1			2/86
LaserWriter Fonts		1.0			2/86  P/N 690-5077-A
MacWrite			4.5			6/85  P/N 690-5009-B
MacPaint			1.5			5/85  P/N 690-5009-B
MacDraw				1.9			7/85  P/N 690-5014-B
MacTerminal			2.0		       12/85  P/N 690-5017-B
MacProject			1.0		       11/84  P/N 690-5015-A
MacPascal			1.0		       12/84  P/N 690-5010-A
				2.0			2/86  N.A.
MacWorks XL			3.0 (D)			8/85  P/N 682-0087-D
Switcher Construction Kit	4.4			8/85  P/N 690-5066-A
Mac 68000 Development System	1.0 (A)			5/85  P/N 690-5012-A,
								  690-5013-A

Robert J. Hammen     {seismo,allegra,ihnp4,harvard,topaz}!uwvax!gumby!hammen
UW-Madison CS Dept.   hammen@gumby.wisc.edu
UW-Madison Plasma Physics Dept.     plasma%wiscpsl.bitnet {@wiscvm.wisc.edu}
---
Working here is like being in a nightmare.  You'd like to get out of it, but
you need the sleep.

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 May 86 19:30 EST
From: CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Re: DA Number limit

Regarding the question about the Font/DA mover not letting
you install more than 15 DAs.  It's not the font movers
limitation, but a limit in the number of DA drivers
permitted in the system file.  I beleive that only
a certain number of drivers are available for use with
DAs.  As I've never found that many (15) useful DAs,
i can't say Ive run into the problem before.  Here's
a thought, how about some clever person writting a
program that will allow you to "install" DAs into
the program's resource file, and open tons of DAs that way,
you could run the program under Switcher.  Hmmm, if I
get bored this summer I know what I can do.

-Tom Dowdy
CML5A9@IRISHMVS.BITNET
"If it jams, force it, if it breaks, it needed fixing anyway."

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  7 May 86 10:06:10 PDT
From: <DAVEG%SLACVM.BITNET@Lindy>
Subject: Re: tex and times roman fonts

Date: 7 May 86 10:02-PST
From: DAVEG@SLACVM
To: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM

Date: 7 May 1986, 09:56:33 PST
From: David M. Gelphman         415-854-3300 x2538   DAVEG    at SLACVM
To:   INFO-MAC at SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD, SIMSONG at MEDIA-LAB.ARPA

Regarding the question of using TeX and times-roman fonts instead
of the standard computer modern fonts normally used with TeX:
I'm not sure exactly what the question refered to, TeX or the
Mac or just driving the LaserWriter. There is a version of TeX
on the Mac from Kellerman and Smith but I don't know whether they
support the LaserWriter fonts (I suspect they do, it must be a
reasonable thing to do). As far as driving the LaserWriter, there
is a company called TextSet -> 313-996-3566 which sells drivers
for DVI->Postscript on a variety of computers, most notably the
Vax. They were kind enough to send me documentation and in it they
claim you can use any of the default LaserWriter fonts in your
documents. I'm not sure if this has answered the original question
but it was an answer nonetheless.
David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538
usual disclaimer #432 applies: my employer apologies for the fact
that I have access to this net.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 May 86 09:43:56 PDT
From: borton%sdcc3@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Chris Borton)
Subject: Exit_To_Shell in ROM Debugger

Courtesy Darin Adler, the call to the ROM debugger (hit interrupt) for
Exit_To_Shell is:
			G 40F6D8

This will save many a crash!

-Chris
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS; Micro Consultant, UCSD
borton@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU || ...!{ucbvax,decvax,noscvax,ihnp4,bang}!sdcsvax!borton

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 May 86 13:41 EDT
From: BELSLEY%BCVAX3.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (DAVID A. BELSLEY)
Subject: MacPaint non MacPlus

Several infomac's ago, stew%lhasa.UUCP@Havard.harvard.edu complained that
MacPaint wasn't copying and pasting properly with MacPlus.  I've noticed the
same thing.  I've no problems when using MacPaint on a disk that has its
own System and Clipboard, but when using it on the external drive w/o system,
problems arise.  Making sure there is a clipboard file on the MacPaint disk
allows for cuts and pastes within MacPaint, but does not allow one to save
items to the Scrapbook on the system disk or to carry them over to applications
on the system disk.  Very weird, since it used to allow all this with the 512K
and old ROM.  Apple just wants to keep us all aware that good things don't come
without costs.

david a. belsley    belsley@bcvax3.bitnet
boston college

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 6 May 86 22:28:54 PDT
From: woody@Juliet.Caltech.Edu (William E. Woody)
Subject: StUpCr -- An application

  After getting an init resource which keeps the startup screen to stay on
the screen permanately (replacing the background pattern with whatever was
there), and after being unable to find a public domain program which was
able to create the startup screen file "StartUpScreen", and having spent
a weekend figuring out how to make resources properly, I sat down and wrote
an application which converts a paint file to a startupscreen, and visa-versa.
  I have included the application and the source (written in MegaMax C).
It's public domain software; if you like the program, please send me mail
and tell me so!  I have this insecurity thing; I like to think I can
program right.   :-)

  The file is a PACKIT file in .HQX format; included is the application
"STUPCR", the source "STUPCR1.C", "STUPCR2.C", "STUPCR.H", and "STUPCR.R",
and instructions "INSTRUCTIONS", a paint file.

         - William Woody
      NET  Woody%Romeo@Hamlet.Caltech.Edu
   USNAIL  1-54 Lloyd, Caltech / Pasadena, CA 91126

[
An old application on <info-mac> exists:  <info-mac>screenmaker.rsrc
This application was written by Bill Atkinson in 1984 -- and still works
under HFS and Finder 5.2 and System 3.1.1 !!!

It can be downloaded as a resource file using macput /r (macput -r).

Mr. Woody's version (with source and documentation) is archived as:

       [sumex-aim.arpa] <info-mac>utility-startupscreen-creator.hqx

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 8 May 86 20:47:37 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #34

Usenet Mac Digest          Thursday, 8 May 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 34

Today's Topics:
     Bizarre MacWrite problem...
     Suggestions for music typesetting systems?
     Help in planning computer fair
     Re: Bizarre MacWrite problem...
     Re: ETHZ Modula-2 for Macintosh
     2 Meg upgrade for Mac+
     Lightspeed C and/or TML Pascal
     Re: Ocular/Eye Control of Cursor??
     System 3.0 on Mac XL
     request for Japanese fonts
     Re: Graphics Help Needed
     Re: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #16 (DiskBench)
     Mac tote
     templates and rescsource editors
     Re: Paradise (and general) Hard disk icons
     Troubles with TDI Software, Inc.
[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-34.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 8 May 86 20:48:05 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #35

Usenet Mac Digest          Thursday, 8 May 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 35

Today's Topics:
     Re: Cache bit--retraction & questions
     A QuickDraw bug.
     Sony diskette labels...
     Re: Info requested on MacServe
     Ten Challenges  (long)
     Packit + BinhHex; All in one; Is that possible?
     how to add RAM
     Mac rebate extension
[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-35.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 8 May 86 20:49:29 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #18

Delphi Mac Digest          Thursday, 8 May 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 18

Today's Topics:
     PCPC's HFS Backup
     RE: PCPC's HFS Backup (Re: Msg 7688)
     RE: Need help with JCLOCK utility
     Mac SCSI connection problem
     MacPaint Pasting Problem
     good disk prices
     LaserWriter and VMS
     Re: Apology to Micah
     ROM Resources
     Bug in LightspeedC
     RE: Warning about HP disks (Re: Msg 7731)
     To John Bass
     cache setting
     RE: cache setting (Re: Msg 7775)
     RE: cache setting (Re: Msg 7779)
     Microsoft Updating Word...
     Re: Changing the default font
     Mac+ games
     HFS Backup bugs
     MacPCBridge
     Desperately Seeking Software
     LoadSeg problem
     Printing Errors
     Setting file protect bit in ResEdit
     RE: Setting file protect bit in ResEdit (Re: Msg 7883)
     RE: Setting file protect bit in ResEdit (Re: Msg 7893)
[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV2-18.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 11 May 86 21:29:50 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #36

Usenet Mac Digest          Sunday, 11 May 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 36

Today's Topics:
     Copying 400K Copy Protected Files to 800K Mac+ ???
     MacAuthor_Review
     re: uSoft Word and Mac+
     Re: Re: Info requested on MacServe
     Re: Suggestions for music typesetting systems?
     ResEdit enhancement (Apple, are you listening?)
     Re: ET Icon Editor Question...
     Re: Suggestions for music typesetting systems?
     Re: Rental Software?
     MAC look-alike for MS-DOS PC's
     mac scheme
     Problems of a Beginner
     Re: CAD/PC layout wanted for mac
     Software to use the Mac as a LW print spooler
     tftp on vms or ftp on macs
     Re: Power Supply Troubles?  Now Kids, don't try this at home...
     Modula-2 for MacIntosh (commercial)
     ICONS in buttons (HELP)?
     Re: A QuickDraw bug.
     Re: 2 Meg upgrade for Mac+
     Re: Delphi Mac Digest V2 (mac scsi)
[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-36.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 13 May 86 16:02:44 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #37

Usenet Mac Digest          Tuesday, 13 May 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 37

Today's Topics:
     Summary of Macintosh Techical Documentation
     Re: ResEdit enhancement (Apple, are you
     ResEdit is *already* customizedable (Re: Ten Challenges)
     Re: ResEdit is *already* customizedable (Re: Ten Challenges)
     Re: Microsoft Fortran
     Finder 5.2 bug.  Sort by size bomb.
     Re:  Power Supply Troubles?
     Re: Microsoft Fortran
     LaserWriter on VMS
     Quit under Special in Finder
[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-37.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 14 May 86 15:22:50 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #38

Usenet Mac Digest          Wednesday, 14 May 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 38

Today's Topics:
     Re: Suggestions for music typesetting systems?
     Re: 2 Meg upgrade for Mac+
     Finder flag bits and protection bit assignments.
     Current volume under SFGetFile ?
     Re: Vertical Bar Crashes...
     printer problem
     Re: MacAuthor_review (long)
     MacNifty Sound and Music products: Review
     Re: Ten Challenges  (long)
     A question concerning the memory maneger .
[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-38.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 May 1986 17:45 EST
From: Dave Elbon  <SYSDAVE%UKCC.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Tape Backups

Are there any tape drives that will attach to AppleTalk that aren't
part of a disk or file server?
Acknowledge-To: Dave Elbon <SYSDAVE@UKCC>

------------------------------

Date: 7 May 1986 1126-EDT
From: name "Daniel Allen Deufel" <DEUFEL@MARLBORO.DEC.COM>
Subject: TML Pascal .vs. Turbo Pascal

    I have an upcoming project that will need to run on a Rainbow (MS-DOS)
    and a Macintosh. I would like to keep as much code as possible common
    to both machines with separate, machine specific modules for I/O and
    user interface code.

    I would dearly love to do the entire project in Turbo Pascal. However,
    since the compiler for the Macintosh might be more appropriately
    named Vapor Pascal, and since calls to Borland over the past six
    months have produced answers from "I don't know" to "Soon, we hope",
    and since I am fast running out of time available to me I am forced
    to examine other alternatives.

    Can anyone out there share their experiences porting Turbo Pascal
    code to the Macintosh using the TML Pascal compiler?

    I would like to hear anything...flames...non-standard inplementation
    pitfalls...hints...rumors...magic...

    Also, if anyone has any examples of code they have transported that
    they would be willing to show to the world in general (and me
    specifically) please post it.

    Thanks in advance for the feedback and information.

    			Cheers,
    			-Abdul-

   --------
- - - - - - - End forwarded message

------------------------------

Date: 14-MAY-86   11:13  MEZ
From: U02F%CBEBDA3T.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Franklin A Davis)
Subject: How to fix rotated screen image?

My screen image is rotated, displacing the corners about half a
centimeter.  It's a problem for graphic design use.

My guess is that the yoke on the tube must have a simple rotation
adjustment.  Anyone know the procedure for fixing this?  Necessary
precautions?  Please reply directly.  --Thanks.

Franklin <U02F@CBEBDA3T.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 11 May 86 16:15:01 PDT
From: woody@Juliet.Caltech.Edu (William E. Woody)
Subject: The value of a thing...

You really never know the value of something until it's gone...

About three million four hundred seventy thousand years ago (subjective time;
objective time is about four days), my Mac broke.   MY MAC BROKE!!!

When this happened, I realized that there were only two classes out of my five
class load here at the California Institute for Technologists which didn't
heavily depend upon my having the Mac.  But of the other three...

I now wonder about aimlessly, looking for something to do.  Class work
and games are just not the same without the poor Mac.  Even writing mail
to this mailing list is just not the same without the Mac; it misses
a certain umph! creating a letter to send.

I even consoled myself by going down to the local store and buying more
floppy disks, as if the poor Mac was well, and not sick with a life threatening
desease.  How I miss her!  I even thought of sending flowers but I didn't
think the repair shop where she sits alone would understand.  *sigh*

I hope she lives; life just wouldn't be the same without her.   :-(
         - William Woody
      NET  Woody%Romeo@Hamlet.Caltech.Edu
   USNAIL  1-54 Lloyd, Caltech / Pasadena, CA 91126

End of INFO-MAC Digest