Date: Wed, 14 May 86 16:14:40 EDT
From: Gavin_Eadie%UMich-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: RedEdit Problem tracked down!

Remember this ?

====

 Message: 1193226, Posted: 1:39pm EDT, Mon Mar 17/86, 6 lines
 To: Gavin Eadie
 From: OR.LUSTIG@SU-SIERRA.ARPA
 Subject: Re: ResEdit 1.0D5 problem

 Please keep me informed if you hear from them. Ephraim Vishniac
 reported on the net.micro.mac bboard that he has gotten the same
 reply from Apple as you have.

 -Irv Lustig

====

Well, I finally figured it out! I was booting off a floppy with
an old system and finder. My HD-20 had all the latest stuff on it
but the boot process installs patches and they came from the sony
disk and not the HD-20 ... I updated my boot disk to new system
and all is now well.

ResEdit was not the only program with problems; LightspeedC was
also in *big trouble* - I can do without ResEdit but not that!!

------------------------------

Date: 14 May 86 21:51:50 GMT
From: hplabs!well!hosoda@ucbvax.berkeley.edu  (Craig Hosoda)
Subject: Sequencer problems
Sender: usenet@ucbvax.berkeley.edu

Is anybody else having problems getting Darin Adler's Sequencer program
to autostart?  I've downloaded it, put it on my MacTerminal disk, used
ResEdit to insert my strings for the Document name and MacTerminal.

The Sequencer works fine when I double-click on it from the desktop.
If I select it, choose "Set Startup", shutdown and reinsert the disk,
Sequencer doesn't run and all I get is the desktop.

I'm using System 3.1.1.  Has anybody else tried to use it with similar
results?  I've tried both versions of the Sequencer.

Thanks, Craig Hosoda

------------------------------

Date: Thu 8 May 86 10:33:53-EDT
From: Frank da Cruz <SY.FDC@CU20B.COLUMBIA.EDU>
Subject: Discussion group for technology for the handicapped

A mailing list has been set up at North Dakota State University for
discussing computer and other technology for people with any kind
of handicap, plus meetings, conferences, funding agencies, and so
forth.  It is run by Bob Puyear, NU025213@NDSUVM1.BITNET (via Arpanet,
NU025213%NDSUVM1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU), who will add you to the
mailing list if you send him a request to do so.  To send mail directly
to the list itself, replace NU025213 by L$HCAP in the addresses above.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 May 86 08:53:37 pdt
From: gould9!joel@nosc.ARPA (Joel West @ CACI)
Subject: Solution to non-standard AppleTalk cables

It's always bugged me that Apple's AppleTalk connectors are so non-standard.
They're hard to find (except at Apple dealers who've bought the large
kit), and a pain to solder.  This comes to mind because we're recabling
this week.

Over at the SD Supercomputer Center I saw a nice solution.  The wall plate
consists of a single DE-9 outlet (I suspect female, but I can't recall).
This contains three wires from the previous node, and three wires to the
next node.

If you want to plug in an AppleTalk node, you hook up a DE-9 to 2 X mini-din3
(for lack of a better name) adapter.  What you end up with is using the 9
as a non-standard extension cord.  (The end nodes require a special
DE-9 to 1 X mini-din3, I suspect)

If you don't want to plug in a node -- this is the payoff -- you use just
a male 9 jumpered to pass the signals straight through.

None of those mini female-to-female extenders required.  Plus -- and
this is a big concern -- you can buy a standard wall plate.

	Joel West	 CACI, Inc. Federal, La Jolla
	{cbosgd, ihnp4, sdcsvax, ucla-cs} !gould9!joel
	{seismo!s3sun, hplabs!hp-sdd, sun!pyramid} !gould9!joel
	joel%gould9.uucp@NOSC.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Tue 13 May 86 14:12:25-EDT
From: Alberto M. Magnani <MAG@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Dungeon of Doom.

Regarding the editorial note saying that DoD version three has problems
with HFS and Version two does not.  I do not know where you got this
information, but it is exactly wrong.  Versions one and two do not understand
HFS, version three DOES.  I have version three on a Mac+ and have not
encountered any bugs.  I have also talked to John Raymonds about this, and
he has assured me that it (v. 3) not only works on the Plus, but also the
512, 512e, xl, and a 512 upgraded, if this does not cover the range I
apologize (you 128ers should upgrade).  Another prominent problem he
mentioned is all the bug inquiries he gets.  99 and 44/100's percent of them
has been due to the fact that the person did not understand the problem.
There are many peculiar happenings that are not bugs... it is up to you
to figure them out... that's the fun of the game after all anyway... isn't
it?  If you do however find an obvious bug ("it gives me a system bomb every
time I do this...") by all means send him a clear and concise description
of the problem.  If you have something like, oh I found the orb but it
won't let me in the hall of legends, then go back and log in some more hours...
you haven't played the game enough...
					-al

[
from the moderator:

I do not play Dungeon of Doom and I am not a registered user.  I only pass
on information given to me by my friends who have less work to do.

Thanks for clearing up any inaccuracies.

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 8 May 1986 22:54 CST
From: Craig Knelsen  <CRAIG%UREGINA1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Aztec C compiler bug?

#include        <quickdraw.h>
#include        <window.h>
#include        <control.h>

main()
{
    register ControlHandle        p;

    f((*p)->contrlTitle);
}
----

-? cc c.c
c.c: line 9: error 29: illegal use of structure:

Compiler:        Aztec C 1.06G for the Macintosh

        The problem seems to result from the fact that Aztec changed the
declaration of the member 'contrlTitle' in control.h:

        1.06D release:
                        char        contrlTitle[1];
        1.06G release:
                        Str255        contrlTitle;

where Str255 is a typedef for: char *

        I have tried this example under the Vax 4.2bsd and Sun 2.0 compilers
with no complaints from either. Changing the declaration back to what it
was in the 1.06D release makes the problem disappear. Removing the register
storage class declaration doesn't make a difference as far as the error is
concerned.

                                                Craig Knelsen
                                                Dept. of Computer Science
                                                University of Regina
                                                Regina, Sk.

UUCP: {ihnp4 | utcsri | alberta} !sask!regina!cknelsen

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 86 10:26:53 EDT
From: Meredith Lesly <mlesly@BBN-LABS-B.ARPA>
Subject: LightspeedC math bugs

I've found three math bugs so far, with the first partially credited to someone
else on the net:

1.  (double)(i - CONSTANT)       always fails, not just in more complex
    arithmetic expressions.

2.  The function ceil() is wrong.  It works by adding .5 to
    a double and then convering it to a long.  LS's double-to-long
    conversion method rounds, rather than truncates, and 1.5 rounds to 2,
    and so ceil(1.0) == 2, rather than one.  The fix is to change .5 to
    .49(999?).  Actually, it'll fail with numbers slightly greater than an
    ineger, but it'll almost always work.  floor() may be wrong too for
    similar reasons.

3.  Decform, in sane.h, is declared wrong.  It should be:
    typedef struct
    {
        char style;
        char pad;
        int digits;
    } Decform;

    Obviously LightspeedC didn't test their floating point stuff too well.
Oh yes, I almost forgot, there are two typos in sane.h, which you'll find
if you try to recompile math.c.  One of them is FFEXT, which should be FCEXT,
and I forget the other, but it's obvious.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 12 May 86 16:25:57 -0200
From: Dolf Starreveld <mcvax!uva!dolf@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Subject: Finder flags bit assignments and protect bit.

A bit of experimenting revealed the following bit assignments for
bits in the ioFndrInfo.fdFlags field. (To be obtained by calling
PBGetFInfo):

/*
	Following bits can be set in the fdFlags field of the
	ioFndrInfo struct.
*/
#define	fLocked		0x8000	/* File is locked when accessed from Finder */
#define	fInvisible	0x4000	/* File is invisible on desktop */
#define	fHasBundle	0x2000	/* File has bundle */
#define	fSystem		0x1000	/* System file */
#define	fBozo		0x0800	/* We would like to know what this is ? */
#define	fBusy		0x0400	/* File is in use */
#define	fChanged	0x0200	/* File has changed (info ?) */
#define	fInited		0x0100	/* File has been located by Finder */
#define	fShared		0x0080	/* Multiple user busy with file ? */
#define	fCached		0x0040	/* Enable caching of file ? */
#define	fAlwSwitch	0x0020	/* Could somebody tell me please ? */
#define	fNevSwitch	0x0010	/* Could somebody tell me please ? */
#define	fOnDesk		0x0001

/*
	Following bits may be set in the ioFlAttrib field.
	NOTE: These are not finder flags !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
*/
#define	fFileBusy	0x80	/* File is busy (data or resource fork) */
#define	fFileProt	0x40	/* File is protected */
#define fDirectory	0x10	/* Node is a directory */
#define fResOpen	0x08	/* File has resource fork open */
#define fDataOpen	0x04	/* File has data fork open */
#define	fFileLocked	0x01	/* File has OS lock set */

NOTE:	These values are valid under HFS. The nit assignments for
	the older flags such as fSystem, fBozo etc. are correct, but
	they are not the same as mentioned in IM, except for the
	Alpha Draft version of the HFS file manager, or later!!!!

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 9 May 86 08:54 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Bus'd Out

This is where I learned about Bus'd Out, have fun!  Be aware that
this runs off the modem port and not the printer port like other
Appletalk games.  It is a beta from Apple and it is best played
with more than three people (although I haven't been able to get
that many people together at one time).

I should repost my desire to form a LARGE Mazewars and/or Bus'd Out
pizza party in the Bay area.  Let me know if you are interested.
It promises to be a fun time.

Jon

[
archived as [sumex-aim.arpa]<info-mac>busdout.hqx

DoD
]

------------------------------

Sender: "trm:rochx2:xerox.ns"@Xerox.COM
Date: 12 May 86 13:40:15 PDT (Monday)
Subject: Paradise drives
From: "trm:rochx2:xerox.ns"@Xerox.COM

I think this question has been asked before, but I never saw an
answer. Does anyone have anything good or bad to say about
Paradise hard drives for the Mac? The prices are getting very
cheap. Are they bankrupt or still a viable company. There are no
local dealers so I'd hate to buy a pig in a poke.

Tom Moenter

------------------------------

Date: Thu 8 May 86 08:14:06-PDT
From: Malcolm B. Brown <MBBROWN@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: PostScript errors arising while printing

In the past month, with the arrival of the Mac+, Laserwriter+, new versions
of the System, Finder and Laserwriter drivers, I've noticed an increase in
PostScript errors arising while printing.  You get a message saying that
while your file is intact, it can't be printed due to some PostScript error.
Sometimes the error message generated by the Postscript interpreter will be
flashed on the screen (e.g. "Offending Command: ").
   When this occurred in a MS Word file of mine, no amount of copying of the
file could get rid of the bug.  I finally saved the file as text and then
reformatted the text, and this worked.
   I have a user who is reporting the same thing, only with all kinds of
files--MacWrite, MacDraw, macPaint.
   I would be grateful if anyone might share any information on this problem.
I'm not even sure about the exact locus of the difficulty: is this an error
in the generation of Postscript on the Mac, or is it symptomatic of a problem
in the Appletalk?
  If you send mail to my account (MBBROWN@SU-SCORE) I'll summarize to INFO-MAC.

thanks!
Malcolm Brown

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 13 May 86 7:35:39 EDT
From: "Robert E. Yellen" (IMD-TSD) <ryellen@ARDC.ARPA>
Subject: Word Tools

I read with interest a full page ad in the June 86 issue of
MacUser, page 103. It describes Word Tools, a puncuation, spelling, and
grammer checker of text files. Has anyone used this piece of software
yet? If so can you post a little review ot it so I can determine if it's
worth buying. I'd be willing to post the results to the net.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 7 May 86 11:48:12 mdt
From: ihnp4!alberta!cavell!david@seismo.CSS.GOV (David Gordon)
Subject: Software Engineering Tools on the Mac

We are inquiring as to the existance of software engineering tools
available on Macintosh or IBM PC.  These are to be used by students
in a third year software engineering course for their course project.

We would like tools for the following areas:
   o requirements analysis and specification
   o software design and documentation
   o software verification and testing tools
   o DP project management tools

At this time the tools used are on the order of MacWrite, MacProject, and
MacDraw, and we wish to improve on them.

BTW is there a product using the diagramming techniques of Martin and McClure?

David Gordon, Department of Computing Science
  University of Alberta, Edmonton, Alberta, Canada T6G 2H1

{ ihnp4, sask, decvax!uw-beaver!ubc-vision }!alberta!david

------------------------------

Date: 13-MAY-86   17:11  MEZ
From: U02F%CBEBDA3T.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Franklin A Davis)
Subject: Mac-Textile?

A friend is designing textiles with MacPaint, and has heard rumors of
a real textile design program for the Mac.  Any info?  Please respond
directly.

Thanks --  Franklin  <U02f@CBEBDA3T.BITNET>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 14 May 86 20:59:58 PDT
From: <CER2520%RITVAXC.BITNET@Lindy>
Subject: MacCOBOL

Date: 14 MAY 86 14:20-EST
From: CER2520@RITVAXC
To: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM

Hi there!

I received a copy of the flyer from Micro Focus about Mac COBOL and I thought I
would share this with you.  There is other information that is not included in
the flyer I received are:
                *   Suggested Retail Price is $495  (rather steep)
                *   Comes with two thick volumes of documentation
                    *  User Guide and language reference
                *   Software Support by Micro Focus

If any of you have any questions or have more information on this, please send
me a line.

        C. Reid
        Rochester Institute of Technology

[Exerpted from the flyer by MicroFocus]

Mac COBOL (tm)

Announcing the first high performance integrated COBOL Compiler on the
Apple Macintosh (tm)

   Mac COBOL (tm) is a fully integrated high level certified ANSI 74 compiler
for the COBOL programmer.  Mac COBOL takes full advantage of the features of
the Apple Macintosh and allows its user to switch programming tools with a
single click of the mouse and get instant response time.

Mac COBOL Programming Tools                     Mac COBOL Advantages for the
                                                the COBOL Programmer

*  EDIT - general purpose text editor           * High quality professional
                                                  applications can be quickly
*  COMPILE - a high performance, High             developed in an environment
   Level GSA certified ANSI 7 COBOL              tht enchane
   compiler.                                      creativity.

*  GENERATE - generates Micro Focus             * Single click transition among
   intermediate code to 68000 object              tools allows the programmer
   code.                                          to use appropriate tool from
                                                  instant to instant without
*  RUN - allows execution of applications         frustrating delays.
   which have been generated.
                                                * Large applications with
*  BUILD - creates distributable,                 virtually unlimited numbers
   executable modules which combine               of sub-programs can be
   application programs with Micro Focus          developed.
   Application Support Modules (tm).
                                                * Macintosh ROM routines can be
The Application Support Modules (ASM's)           utilized directly from COBOL.

The Micro Focus Application Support Modules     Mac COBOL Advantages for the
are a group of sub-programs which have been     Manager of a Large Installation
developed by Micro Focus to enable Mac          or an Application Vendor
COBOL applications to be high performance,
feature rich and tailored when executing        * The use of standard High Level
on the Apple Macintosh.                           ANSI 74 COBOL means manage-
                                                  ment can make use of the vast
Operating Requirements                            pool of existing COBOL skills.

Apple Macintosh Computer or Lisa 2(tm)          * Create useable standalone
Series running under Macworks(tm).                applications on the Macintosh
512k bytes RAM.                                   for the Macintosh.
Exteral drive hard disk strongly recommended.
                                                * New markets for existing
Note: Finished applications can be designed       applications can be opened by
to run on the Apple Macintosh computer with       transferring Micro Focus
128k RAM.                                         COBOL source files from other
                                                  micros and recompiling for use
                                                  on the Macintosh.
Mac COBOL, Applications Support Modules, and Macworks are trademarks of Micro
Focus.  Macintosh, Lisa 2, amd Macwork's are trademarks of Apple Computer, Inc.
In the U.S.A.:
Micro Focus Incorporated                 Micro Focus Incorporated
Sarah Rebecca Hart                       (Sales Office)
2465 E. Bayshore Road                    1700 Rockville Pike, Suite 400
Suite 400                                Rockville, MD 20852, U.S.A.
Palo Alto, CA 94303, U.S.A.              301/231-9877
415/856-4161

In the U.K.:                             In Germany:
Micro Focus Limited                      Micro Focus GmbH
26 West Street                           Burozentrum West Park
Newbury, Berkshire                       Edelsbergstrasse 8-10
RG13 1JT                                 8000 Munchen 21
United Kingdom                           West Germany
(635)32646                               (89)576-091

In Japan:
Micro Focus Japan (KK)
Microsoftware Associates
Odakyu Minami Aoyama Bldg. 4F