[mod.mac] INFO-MAC Digest V4 #74

INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (Moderator Dwayne Virnau...) (05/27/86)

INFO-MAC Digest          Tuesday, 27 May 1986      Volume 4 : Issue 74

Today's Topics:
                            Beta System Files
                             PICT Resources
                      Multi-Scrap and Scrapbook bug
                     Thawing a frozen mouse (cursor)
                         Creator and Type flags
                   Alternative keyboards for Macintosh
                         MacDraw, Times and Tabs
                          MacTerminal and Mac+
                        Mac Plus cable hardware.
                               Finder Bug
                         Re: New LaserPrep file
                       scrolling menu bug in Mac+
                             SetFile 2.0 Bug
       A "gotcha" for user routines on the vertical retrace queue
                        Usenet Mac Digest V2 #40
                        Usenet Mac Digest V2 #41
                        Delphi Mac Digest V2 #20
                             FontDisplay 4.0
                            Latest TechNotes
                              FONT-BOSTONII
                               LINT again
                  new software support plans from Apple

Date: Wed 21 May 86 08:20:15-PDT
From: DBECK@SRI-KL.ARPA
Subject: Beta System Files

There are several beta version System 3.2 files wandering about.  In
particular, beware of 3.2b4.  It has a debugging artifact that will
hang the processor if... 1. you are in Switcher (4.9 in this case)
2. using MacWrite and 3. Attempt to print to the LaserWriter.
Returning to System 3.1.1 eliminated the problem.   ...Doug Beck  dbeck@sri-kl

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 21 May 86 10:22 EST
From: CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: PICT Resources

Since there have been several questions of this nature
lately on infomac, so i thought i would outline a more
GENERAL procedure for getting PICT resources from other
types of data.  This hold true for just about any program
that generates PICT type data in the first place.

1) Bring up the document in your favorite program.
(MacDraw, f'rinstance)
2) Select all of the document you want to make
into a PICT.  (In MacDraw, i usually reduce to fit,
and highlight the whole thing)
3) Select COPY from EDIT.
4) Open the scrapbook.
5) PASTE.

Now, the scrapbook contains a PICT resouce with your
PICT in it.  So, quit the application, go into ResEdit,
open the Scrapbook file, open the pict resources,
find the one with your picture in it.
Select Copy from Edit menu.
Close the scrapbook file.
Open your application where you want to paste the
PICT.
Select PASTE from EDIT.

And viola.  You have a PICT resource from a document
into your application.  By the way, this is a GREAT
way to do help screens, esp for small utility programs.

I should point out that the resource you
copy from the scrapbook will have a strange resource
number.  Just do a GET INFO on the resource after you
paste it into your application and change the number
to whatever you want it to be.

Hope this helps.
Tom Dowdy
"If it jams, force it, if it breaks, it needed fixing anyway."

------------------------------

From: stew%lhasa.UUCP@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
Date: 	21 May 86 14:07 EDT
Subject: Multi-Scrap and Scrapbook bug

Does anyone have the sources to the Multi-Scrap DA?  There is a bug in
this and in the Scrapbook DA, in that if you cut out something that
has a resource of type other than PICT or TEXT, the other type does
not get removed from the resource file.  If you then paste something
in that has that type, you end up with two resources with identical
ID numbers.

Thanx
Stew

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 May 86 22:23:45 mdt
From: dlc%b@LANL.ARPA (Dale Carstensen)
Subject: Thawing a frozen mouse (cursor)

I notice that lots of little bugs I can put in my programs will not totally
crash the Mac or even damage the ramdisk I am using, but will get a system
error.  An ES command in macsbug will return me to the shell with only one
problem.  The one problem is a frozen mouse (cursor.)  To get the mouse
moving again, I've found that running prsetup for the vertical and term for
the horizontal frees one axis at a time (perhaps selecting both ports in
term would free both).  But not always.  The vertical movement is tougher.
Both prsetup and term are programs that come with Aztec C68K for the Macintosh.

Of course, what's happening is that the SCC registers are getting clobbered
by stray writes in memory, with slightly negative bases and small offsets
missing all the RAM, but attacking the SCC with a vengeance.  So I wrote a
program to re-initialize the SCC.  And it always thaws the mouse (so far.)
But it also always disables the printer.  Usually any attempt to write data
to port B will cause a hang at 40141a-40141e (64K ROMs,) which MacNosy tells
me is in "Write" (actually before Write, but Write jumps back to "com_23".)
I have an "improved" version which results in a system error -14 when any
attempt to use port B of the SCC happens.  Page III-176 of IM says:
    I/O system error:  The File Manager is attempting to dequeue an
    entry from an I/O request queue that has a bad queue type field;
    perhaps the queue entry is unlocked.  Or, the dCtlQHead field was
    NIL during a Fetch or Stash call.  O, a needed device control
    entry has been purged.
for ID 14.  Typical.  Exciting reading.  What does it mean, though?

So I'm curious if someone has solved this problem and has a mouse thawer that
doesn't cause printer hangs.  If there is such a program, I think it should be
put in a FKEY resource so the "rest of them" (including me, when I'm running
a purchased or public domain program) can save their hard-won data and not
be forced to re-boot when the mouse gets frozen.  Fortunately, macsbug saves
the day whenever mascbug is around.

I could post my program, but it seems to be dangerous enough that I think it
is better not to.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 May 86 14:56 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Creator and Type flags

I have tried setting the Creator and Type flags of a file with Resedit from
Sumex (versions 10D4 and D5) and it fails. Is there a version available that
works, and if so would someone a) mail it to me and/or b) post it?

Or is there something I am missing?

Jon

[from the moderator:

Others have reported this problem.  Inside the Dr. Mac package is a program
called SetFileAttributes, which I have used with success.  The entire file
(which includes some hints on Finder 5.x) is archived as
[SUMEX-AIM.ARPA] <INFO-MAC>DRMACV1-HINTS.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 May 86 08:11:36 edt
From: Pat Mcconnel <mcconnel@nrl-b43.ARPA>
Subject: Alternative keyboards for Macintosh

I am interested in software that would allow a Macintosh
user to use a keyboard other than the stock-from-the-box
unit that comes with it.  I have in mind substituting a
keyboard from a Digital VT220 for the original Macintosh
unit.  I prefer the "feel" and responsiveness of the VT-220,
and they are close in price.  The VT-220 also has a built
in key pad.  What I would envision is a 'choose keyboard'
driver ala 'choose printer'.  I believe it would also be
much easier for the Mac to emulate a VT-100 with a VT-220
keyboard than with the original.

Pat McConnel
Naval Research Laboratory
Code 7009
Washington, D.C. 20375-5000
ARPANET address:  mcconnel@nrl-b43
202-767-3020 (commercial)
297-3020 (AUTOVON)

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 20 May 86 09:39 EST
From: CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: MacDraw, Times and Tabs

Someone here has been having problems with MacDraw
and the Times font.  It seems that when using the text
tool with the Times font the Tab key doesn't seem to
work.  The tab goes in okay (you can backspace), but
doesn't seem to appear on the screen.  Anyone else had
this problem or know either why it happens or its
solution?

Subject: MacTerminal and Mac+
Date: Tue, 20 May 86 16:50:14 -0800
From: Kathleen Huddleston <gregory@ICSE.UCI.EDU>

I've noticed something somewhat annoying now that I've upgraded to the MacPlus.
With the 512, when I quit MacTerminal if I did not physically reset the Mac,
the terminal line would stay open.  I would not have to re-login each time I
started up.  This is not true with the Plus.  If I quit MacTerminal, it
disconnects the session.  This is not too pleasant.

One solution.  If I use MacTerminal under Switcher (4.9), it does't disconnect
when simply moving to another application under switcher.  Does anyone have
any idea why this happens?

------------------------------

Subject: Mac Plus cable hardware.
From: KNIGHT%MAINE.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Michael Knight)
Date: Tue, 20 May 1986 10:50 EDT

Could anyone tell me where I can mail order the 8-pin mini-din
connectors.  Thanks much.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 May 86 13:53 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Finder Bug

I found a nifty Finder bug in 5.2 and here's how you can repeat it.

First, open a disk or folder.  Take a file and drag it to the trash.
Close the disk or folder.  Open the trash and drag the icon back into
the closed disk or folder.  Open the disk or folder.  All your other
files will not be there.  Only the formerly trashed icon appears.
Now close and reopen the disk or folder and voila, your stuff reappears,
with the trashed icon underneath one of them.

Isn't that nifty?  Are you listening Apple?

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Thu 22 May 86 14:07:21-CDT
From: Brian H. Powell <CS.Powell@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: Re: New LaserPrep file

     I did most of the work putting together the LaserPrep file from the
version 3.0 LaserWriter driver.  It was appledict version 36.
     Then I found out Apple is testing an even newer version, so I abandoned
the project until Apple makes up its mind.
     The newest version I have seen is appledict version 38.  It was part of
LaserWriter 3.1 distributed with the System 3.2B4.  (Do you have all those
version numbers down?)

Brian H. Powell		brian@sally.UTEXAS.EDU
			brian@ut-sally.UUCP
			CS.Powell@r20.UTEXAS.EDU

------------------------------

Date: 24 May 1986 1159-JST (Saturday)
From: Hisao NOJIMA <nttlab!nojima@su-shasta.arpa>
Subject: scrolling menu bug in Mac+

  [ I was asked to pass the following message to people interested in
    Macintosh.]

Date: 23 May 1986 16:39-JST
From: ariza@srava.sra.junet
Subject: scrolling menu bug

I found a bug in Mac+'s menu scrolling.
When there are more than eight menu items with icons
in a menu, Mac+ lets you scroll it up and down and
the menu will be ... corrupted.

The following program is written in Mac Pascal;  it installs
a menu of 10 items with icons (10 is more obvious than 9)
and reveals the bug.   The system file used was version 3.0
but I don't have the later versions.
Is it already known and patched or still sneaking around...?

			Michiharu Ariza
			Software Research Associates, Inc., Tokyo, Japan
			JUNET:  ariza@srava.sra.junet
			UUCP:	...mcvax!kddlab!koudai!titcca!srava!ariza
------------------
program Test;
 const
  { Traps }
  NewMenu = $A931;
  AppendMenu = $A933;
  InsertMenu = $A935;
  DrawMenuBar = $A937;
  DeleteMenu = $A936;
  DisposeMenu = $A932;
  GetNextEvent = $A970;
  MenuSelect = $A93D;

  mouseDown = 1;
  MyMenuID = 20;
 type
  MenuHandle = LongInt;
 var
  myEvent : record
    what : Integer;
    message : LongInt;
    when : LongInt;
    where : Point;
    modifiers : Integer;
   end;
  MyMenu : MenuHandle;
  tempL : LongInt;
  temp : Integer;
  done, tempB : boolean;
begin
 writeln('Select "My Menu" and try scrolling it ...');
 MyMenu := LInlineF(NewMenu, MyMenuID, 'My Menu');
  { ^1 means ICON # 257, in this case the bug icon of MacPascal }
 InlineP(AppendMenu, MyMenu, 'bug 1^1;bug 2^1;bug 3^1');
 InlineP(AppendMenu, MyMenu, 'bug 4^1;bug 5^1;bug 6^1');
 InlineP(AppendMenu, MyMenu, 'bug 7^1;bug 8^1;bug 9^1');
 InlineP(AppendMenu, MyMenu, 'bug 10^1');
 InlineP(InsertMenu, MyMenu, 0);
 InlineP(DrawMenuBar);
 done := false;
 while not done do
  begin
   tempB := BInlineF(GetNextEvent, -1, @myEvent);
   if myEvent.what = mouseDown then
    begin
     tempL := LInlineF(MenuSelect, @myEvent.where);
     done := true;
    end;
  end;
 InlineP(DeleteMenu, MyMenuID);
 InlineP(DisposeMenu, MyMenu);
 InlineP(DrawMenuBar);
end.
-------

Date: Mon 26 May 86 17:05:56-EDT
From: WEINSTEIN@G.BBN.COM
Subject: A "gotcha" for user routines on the vertical retrace queue

Beware of the following oddity when installing user routines on the vertical
retrace queue, as when following Apple's instructions (in the technical notes)
on how to produce continuous sound through the sound driver without annoying
clicking:

Some routines in the Macintosh ROM seem to use A5 as scratch, in violation
of all conventions. Hence, if your interrupt routine accesses program globals,
and just happens to be called while one of these screwy ROM routines is
executing, it will not find those globals where it expects. The result is
likely to be mysterious addressing exceptions and other failures which will
be excruciatingly difficult to pin down (ever tried to set a break point on
a vertical retrace interrupt routine? I doubt it would work -- I was too
scared to even try it). The solution is simple -- save the current value of
a5 on the stack on entry to your interrupt routine, and reset it to the
proper value by using the CurrentA5 value in low memory. Then, restore its
original value before exiting your routine.

I haven't even attempted to do anything like this under Switcher yet, but
there are warnings about interrupt routines accessing program globals in
the switch documentation so I assume that getting it to work under switcher
would be even more complicated.

------------------------------

Date: 21 May 86 11:14:24 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #40

Usenet Mac Digest          Wednesday, 21 May 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 40

Today's Topics:
     HELP!  with HyperMac+
     Re: Modula-2 for Macintosh (commercial-MacMETH)
     Word Tools
     Experience with 512K -> Mac+ upgrade.
     Lightspeed C and Ram disk
     Re: right to left word processing
     Re: Lightspeed C and Ram disk
     remember those Verbatim refunds?
     Mac output on HP LaserJet?
     SCSI pronunciation query
     System Update for Fokker Triplane?
     LW 3.0 is very slow printing A4-sized documents
     icon in buttons (My solution)
     Re: MacAuthor_review (long)
     Anybody know of a good general ledger program?
     MS-Basic on Mac+
     Interrupts on the Mac
     Bad Bundle Bombs Finder
     Re: Finder tip
     Lightspeed C Bugs
     Mac News and Rumors
     New 512 without new ROM
     Printing on a LaserWriter
     Traveling with my Mac

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA] <INFO-MAC>USENETV2-40.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 24 May 86 21:30:22 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #41

Usenet Mac Digest          Saturday, 24 May 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 41

Today's Topics:
     Seen GKS for Mac?
     Acta/Symmetry Software
     SCSI disks
     Re: HFS again
     Re: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #19
     Re: Mac+ (attention: Apple)
     Cheap ($5) fan for a hot Mac
     Loads and loads of SCSI drives for Mac+ -- Which to choose?
     Apple buyout?
     Fanny Mac cooling fans
     Pointers needed to Spelling programs and hard disks
     Info on Setting up Mac Lab wanted
     recipe: getting HFS to run on the TECMARs
     Apple, please interchange ZOOM-Box and CLOSE-Box
     CAUTION, WARNING, DANGER ThinkTank 512 and 128K ROMS
     Re: Loads and loads of SCSI drives for Mac+ -- Which to choose?
     Re: List Manager availability (was: ICONS in buttons)
[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA] <INFO-MAC>USENETV2-41.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 25 May 86 17:57:27 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #20

Delphi Mac Digest          Sunday, 25 May 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 20

Today's Topics:
     Re: MIDI, SIGs, et al.
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #39 (Re: Msg 8301)
     Apple SCSI
     RE: getting screen dumps with menus (Re: Msg 8258)
     128K ROM/keypad bug
     RE: Large screen display (Re: Msg 8292)
     Note to Apple Developers
     MacServe...
     Jonathon report
     RE: MacDraw 1.9 patches (Re: Msg 8198)
     Re: HELP!  with HyperMac+
     re: Interrupt switch problems on the Mac
     RE: re: Interrupt switch problems on the (Re: Msg 8389)
     Re: How does one make PICT resources?
     Re: How does one make PICT resources?
     List Manager
     PCB Layout Software
     Hayden Software bought
     Maybe this was asked on Usenet or Info-Mac
     Purging HFS Desktop
     RE: Purging HFS Desktop (Re: Msg 8460)
[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA] <INFO-MAC>DELPHIV2-20.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 25 May 86 20:48:06 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: FontDisplay 4.0

This is FontDisplay 4.0, a program that allows you to display and print files
containing fonts.

In addition to numerous bug fixes, version 4.0 features:
               Sample Window text saved
               Can now print Sample Window text as part of the Style Sheet
               Indexed documentation with edit history
               Better printing error messages

[ This is a BinHex'ed PackIt II compressed file (saved 20K over
non-compressed ]
(This file must be converted with BinHex 4.0)

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-FONTDISPLAY-40.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 21 May 86 20:41:47 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Latest TechNotes

The following messages contain the latest Apple TechNotes brought to you by
Apple and Delphi.

Tech Note 0:  Introduction to Mac Tech Notes May86 edition.

Tech Note 2:  describes what you should do in your applications to be sure of
compatibility with future Macintoshes.

Tech Note 6:  describes how a Desk Accessory locates resources which are owned
by it, even if it has been renumbered by the Font/DA Mover.

Tech Note 7:  describes several handy debugging techniques, with instructions
for using them with both MacsBug and TMON.

Tech Note 8:  describes a problem with the AppleTalk Pascal interface.

Tech Note 9:  describes Internets, a method of connecting together AppleTalk
networks to form a larger distributed computing facility.

Tech Note 12:  this is an update to the MacWrite 4.5 file format documentation.

Tech Note 14:  describes how to write INIT resources that reside in files other
than the System File.

Tech Note 17:  describes new low-level printer calls.

Tech Note 22:  describes a minor bug in TextEdit routine TEScroll in the 128K
ROMs.
-------

[
from the moderator:

archived as [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA] <INFO-MAC>TN00.HQX
				       TN02.HQX
				       TN06.HQX
				       TN07.HQX
				       TN08.HQX
				       TN09.HQX
				       TN12.HQX
				       TN14.HQX
				       TN17.HQX
				       TN22.HQX

the previous files TN00.HQX and TN14.HQX have been renamed TN00-OLD.HQX
and TN14-OLD.HQX.

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 May 86 10:28:43 PDT
From: chuq%plaid@SUN.COM (Chuq Von Rospach)
Subject: FONT-BOSTONII

Instructions for installing and using the Boston II font:

There are four parts to this Boston II distribution:

o FULMAN.BOS -- The manual for the Boston II font. This manual must
	be formatted by Macwrite 4.5 on a 512K or larger machines. It
	will NOT work on a 128K machine, and it is too complicated for
	Word to successfully convert.  There is a 128K version of this
	document (in four pieces) available on CompuServe, but I didn't
	download it due to cost.

o MACWRT.BOS -- The Boston II font set up for MacWrite. Use these fonts
	to format the manual regardless of your normal Word processor.

o WORD.BOS -- The Boston II font set up for Microsoft Word.

o NY.BOS -- The Boston II font set up for Microsoft Word, but numbered
	to act as a replacement for the New York Font, allowing it to
	be the startup Word font.

All fonts are in Font/DA mover format.

Notes:

This font is copyrighted and is shareware ($10), cheap at twice the price.
I have been using Boston, the original version of this font, for a number
of months now as my main font, but Boston II makes the original Boston
look like San Francisco font. There are also new sizes available (such as
a VERY readable 7 point) a LOT of special characters, and a special 1 point
leading font. Read the manual, it explains all about using this stuff and
is a work of art besides.  You have to look VERY closely to see that this
isn't laserwriter output, and it is significantly cleaner than a typewriter.

[
the rest of this message is archived as:

      [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>FONT-BOSTON2.README

the other files are:
      [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>FONT-BOSTON-FULMAN.HQX
      [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>FONT-BOSTON-MACWRT.HQX
      [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>FONT-BOSTON-NY.HQX
      [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>FONT-BOSTON-WORD.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 23 May 1986 16:17:28 EDT
From: Robert L. Wald  <6090617%PUCC.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>

(Also posted to USENET)
I'm trying to compile a list of Macintosh magazines, newsletters, etc...
I'd appreciate any help in getting names, contact addresses, and the aim
of the publication. Please send mail, I'll post it to the net when compiled
if there is a demand.
Thanks.

-Rob Wald
(PUCC User Services)
BITNET: 6090617@PUCC  (preferably)
UUCP: ...ALLEGRA!PSUVAX1!PUCC.BITNET!6090617

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 19 May 86 11:40 EST
From: CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: LINT again

I would also like to see LINT for the Mac.  ANY lint.
Of ANY kind.  I remember a while back someone was talking
about something along these lines and pointed out something
interesting.  In order to have a really USABLE lint for
the mac, someone also has to take the time to type in
all of the function definitions with types as per Inside
Mac into header files.  That is, lint without the toolbox
descriptions wouldnt be as useful.  I remmeber that the
person was looking for people to help split the task.
But then again, without lint, it's pretty useless.

Subject: new software support plans from Apple
Date: 20 May 86 09:26:14 EDT (Tue)
From: cdh@BBN-VAX.ARPA

Strange though it seems, the following is not a joke:

Summarized from the May 12 edition of Electronics magazine, p. 24:

John Scully, chairman of the board, announced that Apple will offer
MS-DOS support via an add-on board for the Macintosh personal
computer.  Furthermore, they will also add ATT Unix in a renewed bid
to penetrate the business and technical markets.  The announcements
were made at a closed meeting of financial analysts at the company's
Cupertino headquarters.

Development of the UNIX system for the Macintosh is taking place
inside Apple, the company says, using proprietary software bought from
Cadmus Computer Systems, Inc. of Lowell, Mass.  The MS-DOS
implementation, on the other hand, is being done by a third party, and
will be supported as an add-on board.

The publisher of the California Technology Stock Letter, Michael
Murphy, was at the meeting and said, "Sculley specifically said they
are going to announce, during the next 12 months, more products than
Apple has announced in its entire corporate history to date."

The rest of the article primarily deals with other companies'
reactions to the announcement.

Just thought people would be interested.

Carl

End of INFO-MAC Digest