Date: Mon, 26 May 86 23:54:19 mdt
From: dlc%b@LANL.ARPA (Dale Carstensen)
Subject: Re: Mac Plus cable hardware

As of March 14, 1986, male mini-DIN-8 connectors were $3.90 each from:
    H-B Associates
    P.O. Box 857
    Union City, CA 94587
  1-800-423-3014

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 May 86 23:47:56 mdt
From: dlc%b@LANL.ARPA (Dale Carstensen)
Subject: Re: MacTerminal and Mac+

If quitting MacTerminal drops your modem connection, perhaps the line the
modem sees as DTR is being dropped.  You may be able to keep the connection
by setting an option (switch, strap, or escape sequence from the Mac while
in MacTerminal) in the modem to drop the connection only manually by assuming
DTR is always present from the Mac.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 May 86 14:43 PDT
From: Dave Platt <Dave-Platt%LADC@HI-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject: Switcher memory sizes for various applications

Here's some information I gleaned from the new "EchoMac" mail-exchange
area on the MacQueue bulletin board.  Hope it helps...

16  8 21 May 86  23:20:21
From: Mike Borsetti
To:   All
Subj: Application sizes for use with Switcher

v. 1.1,  May 1, 1986.

Here are the preferred memory sizes for some applications (useful to know when
     running under Switcher).  A plus after the preferred size means that the
     application can take advantage of more memory than the preferred size.

* For APPLE stuff (source: Switcher Construction kit Docs from Apple and
     MacWorld's? April 1986 issue)

Font/Da Mover        128K
MacWrite             128K  See note
MacPaint             179K  (178K according to MacWorld)
MacDraw              128K+
MacProject           128K

     Note: Apple says that MacWrite needs 144K with the LaserWriter, and
          according to Microsoft's literature, MacWrite prefers 179K.

* For MICROSOFT stuff (source: Using Switcher w/MS Applications booklet that is
     bundled with EXCEL and MacWorld's April 1986 issue)

Excel                304K+
Word                 160K
File                 288K+
Multiplan            160K
Chart                192K

* For OTHER software (source: MacWorld's April 1986 issue, which lacks to
     specify most version numbers)

Finder 4.1           106K+
Helix                512K+
Jazz                 512K+
MacDraft             256K+
OverVUE              128K+
PageMaker            256K+
Paint Cutter         244K+

>> Compiled by Mike Borsetti

>> Please FidoMail updates to me at Consult-Net, Fido 115/444, 312-475-5442 (24
     hrs)

 * Origin: Consult-Net - Evanston, IL (115/445)
SEEN-BY: 115/444 115/445 125/2

------------------------------

From: John T Kohl <jtkohl@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 May 86 17:47:54 EDT
Subject: Re: Creator and Type flags

    Date: Tue, 20 May 86 14:56 PDT
    From: PUGH%CCV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA

    I have tried setting the Creator and Type flags of a file with Resedit from
    Sumex (versions 10D4 and D5) and it fails. Is there a version available that
    works, and if so would someone a) mail it to me and/or b) post it?

    Or is there something I am missing?

I have run into this problem too.  If the field appears blank before
you set it, it actually contains four nulls which have zero width when
printed, so if you type in a new name, it will be in characters 4-7
which are truncated.  You need to double-click to select the nulls,
press <backspace> to delete them, and then you can change the fields.

John Kohl
...!mit-eddie!jtkohl
jtkohl@ATHENA.MIT.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 May 86 13:24:57 pdt
From: Bernard Aboba <bernard@ararat>
Subject: "Phone-Net" Connectors

"Phone Net" connectors are available from:

Farallon Computing
1442A Walnut St. #64
Berkeley, CA 94709

The "Phone-Net" connectors come in the following varieties:

Kit                                  $18
Assembled and Tested, 9 pin output   $26
Commercial Version                   $49
(Mac + or 9 pin connectors)

25% University or Dealer Discounts are available.

Phone Net is considerably cheaper than AppleTalk due to large savings on
cable; it is run using ordinary telephone cable, and modular phone boxes.

I am not associated with Farallon Computing.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 May 1986 20:07:53 CST
From: Craig Knelsen  <CRAIG%UREGINA1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Junction boxes info request

        One of our techs is looking for some information on the apple-talk
junction boxes. Here is the relevant part of the mail message I received:

> Anyway, could you please put out a request for information on the apple-talk
> junction boxes? These are the parts that connect the serial port on the Mac
> to the apple-talk cable. The local supplier sells these for $80 a shot. The
> only thing special about them is the isolation transformer. Unfortunately, I
> can't find out anything about this transformer by looking at it...I was
> hoping someone else had.

                                                Craig Knelsen
                                                Dept. of Computer Science
                                                University of Regina
                                                Regina, Sask.

UUCP: {ihnp4 | utcsri | alberta} !sask!regina!cknelsen

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 May 86 15:42:28 edt
From: rls@mitre-bedford.ARPA (Robert L. Shaffer)
Subject: ISSCO Graphics - MAC (Message resend)

Does anyone know of a way to convert graphics generated on the MAC (PICT
format) into a format that is compatible for use with ISSCO Graphics
TELL-A-GRAF software.  I am aware that TELL-A-GRAF graphics can be
downloaded into a MacPaint file using Tekalike by Mesa Graphics but this is
nothing more than a screen dump of the image.  Some people here at NASA
Headquarters would like to upload graphics generated on the MAC to a VAX 782
running TELL-A-GRAF so that MAC generated graphics can be incorporated into
other TELL-A-GRAF slides and transparencies.

Thanks,

Bob Shaffer

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 26 May 86 15:37:20 BST
From: Gorry_Fairhurst%NEWCASTLE.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: SIMULA for the Mac??

The Mac's one of the best machines arround.  I think SIMULA is one
of the best programming languages around...  Is there anyone out
there with any ideas about mating the two????  There could be some
very interesting offspring!!!!!

Second question:  Back here in the UK nobody seems to know anything
about Pascal COMPILERS!!  Is there a good Pascal compiler available,
and where could I find out more???

Cheers, Gorry Fairhurst

------------------------------

Date: Tue 27 May 86 10:45:57-CDT
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: looking for compile-statistics on MPW

[ ... if MPW doesn't mean anything to you then please ignore this message ]

given that LighSpeed-C is quoted with statistics for compiling the PD-source
of xLisp-1.4, I'm interested to get these statistics for the same under MPW.

or any other statistics of non-trivial programs, for that matter.

... just trying to get a better grip on comparing thing (even apples & oranges)

------------------------------

Date: 27 May 1986 15:16:37-EDT
From: koch@NADC
Subject: MAC-OKIDATA compatibility

I have an OKIDATA 92 printer and would like to use it with a fat-Mac.  Has
anyone had experience with this configuration?  Is a hardware interface
necessary?  Is a software driver available?  Will the output have the
distinctive MacIntosh look?

Please address replies to me,  since I am not directly hooked up to the
info-mac net.

Thanks,

		Chuck Koch

		koch@nadc
		215-441-3794

------------------------------

From: John T Kohl <jtkohl@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Wed, 28 May 86 17:45:38 EDT
Subject: Re: Alternative keyboards for Macintosh

Let me know if you have any success; I also *much* prefer the LK-201
(the generic name for the vt220 keyboard) to the Mac keyboard.

John

------------------------------

Date: Wed 28 May 86 11:21:22-EDT
From: William Holder
Subject: file transfer

        We are about to purchase an Apple desktop purchasing system and
plan to integrate it with our current configuration of Digital Rainbows
connected to a DEC-20. We are unsure how best to move text from the
Digital system to the Mac; whether KERMIT is the best file transfer
program; whether there are particular word processing programs that
are better for this use than others. We are particularly interested in
preserving coded information so that we don't, for instance, wind up
converting hundreds of soft carriage returns to hard returns. Any
information would be appreciated. Please send a REPLY directly to me;
I'm not on the list.
        Thanks.

--Bill Holder

------------------------------

Date: 27 May 86 21:22:36 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #42

Usenet Mac Digest          Wednesday, 28 May 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 42

Today's Topics:
     Whats happened to Megamax
     Mac+ SCSI pseudo dma question
     MacDraw 1.9 patches (error in Delphi-digest)
     Interleaf vs Mac
     Catching CHK and TRAP exceptions
     mac video failure
     Re: recipe: getting HFS to run on the TECMARs
     New MacLightning Release
     Re: MacWrite question
     Re: MacWrite question
     Re: Steven Jobs
     Laserwriter + MS Word Problem on Print Merge (with fix)
     Review of the Rascal Development System

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-42.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 May 86 10:46 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Stop dropping the quarters in the pool table at the bar!

I find it difficult to believe that no one has posted this yet.

This is the Billiards game written in Rascal.  It is pure public
domain and is quite fun, although I hate the sound effects.  It
is a good thing they can be turned off.  This game can play
billiards, straight pool, eight ball, nine ball, snooker, and
slop.  It even knows how to lag.  You can apply english to the
ball and even cheat if that's your game.  It's fun stuff.

The computer does not play, or even moderate the game.  You can
smack the balls as hard as you like, but you cannot get them to
leave the table.  I seem to be better at the side pockets than I
am on a real table and lousy in the corners, unlike the real
version.  All in all, though, it is a marvelous implementation.

This is brought to you by me from the BMUG bboard.

Jon

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>BILLIARDS.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 28 May 86 10:40:29 PDT
From: chuq%plaid@SUN.COM (Chuq Von Rospach)
Subject: ADVSYS.Pit

Here's another goodie off of CompuServe.  ADVSYS is an adventure writing
system that uses a syntax similar to lisp. I've played with it a bit, and
it is a LOT of fun.  finally, people can write their own text adventures
without having to worry about the hassles of writing the parser. Let's
write and share, folks!

Please note:  ADVSYS is a copyrighted work that is being posted to the
network by permission of the Author, Dave Betz.  You can use it for
non-commercial uses only (i.e. don't write and SELL an adventure without
clearing it). Even BETTER, this isn't shareware -- it's FREE! Just use
and enjoy!

chuq
-----

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>ADVSYS.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Sender: "Antoinette_Azevedo.osbunorth"@Xerox.COM
Date: 28 May 86 14:15:14 PDT (Wednesday)
Subject: News about Macintosh TeX
From: furuta@mimsy.umd.EDU

GVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGV
From: Richard Furuta <furuta@mimsy.umd.edu>
To: laser-lovers@washington.arpa, unix-tex@washington.arpa
Cc: furuta@mimsy.umd.edu, info-mac@sumex-aim.arpa, info-postscript@su-score.arpa
ReSent-Date: Fri 23 May 86 13:18:26-PDT
ReSent-From: John Reuling <Reuling@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
ReSent-To: INFO-POSTSCRIPT: ;
ReSent-Message-ID: <12209054322.13.REULING@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
GVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGVGV

I've just received an announcement of the Macintosh version of the TeX
formatting package.  It's available now in prerelease form ($495 from
Addison-Wesley/contact Brenda Cavallaro at (617) 944-6795---price includes
version 1.0 update when released).

The package corresponds to TeX version 2.0.  The package requires a 512K Mac
or larger with at least 800 Kbytes of disk.  It supports the PostScript
printers and the ImageWriter (I and II).  They use the new TeX Computer
Modern fonts and also say they support the PostScript printers' built-in
Helvetica and Times fonts.

They include a built-in editor that handles multiple document windows and
handles very large documents quickly (multiple megabyte files with quick
relocation within the file---they quote a one second time to move from point
to point in a 1 megabyte file using an Apple HD20 hard disk).  They also
provide a built-in previewer.

LaTeX is not yet included.  An enhancement promised for the first released
version is the ability to paste in pictures from MacPaint and
MacDraw---that's not in the prerelease yet.

The stated timings seem to be very good---10 to 20 seconds per page for TeX
processing and 2 to 4 seconds to display a new typeset page.  They don't say
how long it takes to print a page on the Imagewriter.  These timings compare
very favorably with the IBM PC versions.  The XT TeX's took about two times
as long to process a page.  The AT versions took about half the time per
page.

Since I'm sending this note to some lists that I do not moderate, let me
state that I have no commercial interest in this product or in the firm that
created it (Barry Smith of Kellerman and Smith in Portland, OR).  I have
known the author of the port for a number of years and we both serve on the
steering committee for the TeX Users Group.

					--Rick

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 27 May 86 17:11:47 PDT
From: brydon%newton@BERKELEY.EDU (Louis B. Brydon)
Subject: SAT/GRE software for Macintosh..

I am looking for a software package that asks questions of the user
to train you for taking the SAT and/or GRE tests.  This request is
for a friend, who has a Macintosh.  She said she had seen something
like this for an IBM, and wanted to know if anything was available
for the Mac.  Public domain?  Shareware?  Commercial?

Please respond to this account.  Thanks,

-Louis

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 22 May 86 14:42 PDT
From: Dave Platt <Dave-Platt%LADC@HI-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject: Rumors re production of Jonathan

Here's a hot news flash, which may or may not have some correspondence
with reality.  Take it for what it's worth!

15  7 21 May 86  21:30:26
From: Mike Borsetti
To:   All
Subj: News on the New Mac

I've found this message on another board, and I thought it is of interest to
everybody.  I hope the information is correct, but I cannot guarantee it.

As printed in the May 19 issue of Computer+Software News, Apple has started
production on Jonathan, the most powerful member of the Mac family.
Indroduction is scheduled for this fall with a price of $2495.  Features
include: 68020 microprocessor, capable of 4Mbytes RAM, 68881 math co-processor,
 dual internal floppy disk drive, and a black-&-white screen.  One Apple
source who has used Jonathan at a beta test site stated: "Performance-wise,
this will give the IBM PC RT a run for it's money." Apple, as always, declined
comment.

Well, I just got my Mac Plus upgrade and by the time I come back from summer
vacations it's going to be already obsolete!!  I really don't care, because
such a Mac would only reinforce the position of the Mac in the personals
market.

MikeB.
---
 * Origin: Consult-Net - Evanston, IL (115/445)
SEEN-BY: 115/444 115/445 125/2

End of INFO-MAC Digest