[net.sf-lovers] Cover Art

dim@cbuxc.UUCP (Dennis McKiernan) (05/18/85)

I agree with Steven (Brust), the lettering on _To Reign in Hell_ clashes with
the cover art.

And, Steve, I think that on your next book
artwork by Alan Lee ought to be just super...
You see, he did the work on my _Iron Tower Trilogy_
and I was *stunned* by the results.
The rest of the world will get to see it in August, September, and
October of this year when the Signet paperbacks hit the market.

Dennis L. McKiernan
...ihnp4!cbuxc!dim

boyajian@akov68.DEC (05/31/85)

> From:	yetti!oz

> For those of you who enjoy cover art as much as the contents of
> any SF book, check out Chris Foss. He is the one who appears
> on some of the British prints (Asimov: Currents_of_Space,
> Gods_by_themselves, Blish: Cities_in_flight to name a few..)
> and draws spaceships that look like space trashcans....

I second the motion. Chris Foss is one of only two artists
(Darrell Sweet is the other) whose art on a book cover will
guarantee my buying the book. I almost bought one of his
originals (for Zelazny's FOUR FOR TOMORROW from Ace), but
couldn't really spare the money ($200!) at the time.
	And his covers for the British paperbacks of the
Foundation series also fit nicely together to form one huge
painting. I think the CITIES IN FLIGHT boxed set (five
paintings altogether --- a wraparound on each book, plus a
different wraparound on the box) are my favorites though.

> (This is partly due to his excellent command of 3-D design,
> and attention to detail..  His work is never a quick
> air-brush washout with trivial touch-ups..)

Agreed. One of the things that grabbed me about the first
cover paintings of his I'd seen was the myriad and minute
windows on his spaceships, which made the ships look like
they were miles long.

> A book of his artwork was published in late seventies, which
> contains most of his SF cover art as well as his earlier cover
> art for WW2 novels. (U know, the spitfires, U-boats, dogfights
> etc.) This book is a must for any SF cover-art lover.

Actually, his WWII novel cover paintings are no older than much
of his sf art. They grace the (British) paperbacks of most of the
thrillers by Geoffrey Jenkins, in addition to others.

But his most esoteric (from the viewpoint of an sf art lover)
work is the illustrations for THE JOY OF SEX. (No, I am *not*
kidding --- it *is* the same Chris Foss!)

--- jayembee (Jerry Boyajian, DEC, Maynard, MA)

UUCP:	{decvax|ihnp4|allegra|ucbvax|...}
	!decwrl!dec-rhea!dec-akov68!boyajian
ARPA:	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.ARPA
   soon to be:
	boyajian%akov68.DEC@DECWRL.COM

<"Artography is a silly word">

	How many of you have seen the dust jacket on the new Larry
Niven/Jerry Pournelle book "Footfall"? It is excellent. I even
recognized the alien from the advance description I had of it.
--

				Sarima (Stanley Friesen)

{trwrb|allegra|cbosgd|hplabs|ihnp4|aero!uscvax!akgua}!sdcrdcf!psivax!friesen
or {ttdica|quad1|bellcore|scgvaxd}!psivax!friesen

psc@lzwi.UUCP (Paul S. R. Chisholm) (06/07/85)

In article <488@psivax.UUCP>, friesen@psivax.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:

> 	How many of you have seen the dust jacket on the new Larry
> Niven/Jerry Pournelle book "Footfall"? It is excellent. I even
> recognized the alien from the advance description I had of it.

I disagree.  The Fithp are the size of baby elephants, not full grown
ones.  And there is *no* fi' carrying a teddy bear in the whole novel,
not even Harpanet.  (If none of that makes sense, read the novel.)

At least it wasn't giant chickens.  (Not yet, anyway.  Right, Alan?
Right, Dale?)
--
       -Paul S. R. Chisholm       The above opinions are my own,
       {pegasus,vax135}!lzwi!psc  not necessarily those of any