[mod.mac] INFO-MAC Digest V4 #78

INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (Moderator Dwayne Virnau...) (06/17/86)

INFO-MAC Digest          Tuesday, 17 Jun 1986      Volume 4 : Issue 78

Today's Topics:
                         Re: 800K Drive Nuisance
                         Re: 800K drive troubles
                        Sources for ls or whereis
                        Standardizing file names
                   Imagewrite II mechanical adjustment
                    Bug in Edit, version of 28 Oct 84
                             Disk Librarian
                            DiskLibrarian 1.7
                           Sound and Switcher
            Strange problem with Appletalk and Lightspeed C.
                      Appletalk under Lightspeed C
                           Copy Protection...
                        Usenet Mac Digest V2 #46
                        Delphi Mac Digest V2 #23
                        Usenet Mac Digest V2 #47
                        Delphi Mac Digest V2 #24
                          camera desk accessory
                         Busd'out on Appletalk?
                         RedRyder and MacPut???
                      Sorting packages for the Mac
                          BBS Hostware for Mac
                  Request for terminal emulation types
               video power supply failure and Mac+ Upgrade
                           Paradise Drive Bug
                               Tincan info
                Royalities on locally produced Softstrips
                         Printing Softstrips...
                                 MacSpin

Date: Mon 09 Jun 1986 13:37:35 EDT
From: <OBRIEN@LL.ARPA>
Subject: Re: 800K Drive Nuisance

>From: Kathleen Huddleston <gregory@ICSE.UCI.EDU>
>I picked up a few Public Domain disks from my local user group
>that had apparently been created on an 800K drive.  They were unreadable
>on my 400K drive at home even though they were initialized as 400K
>disks.

   You probably have disks that were initialized under System 3.1, which
had precisely that bug.

                                       -- Tom O'Brien
                                   arpa:  obrien@LL

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 86 12:56 EST
From: CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Re: 800K drive troubles

The problems that someone was experiencing with 800K drives creating bad
400K disks could stem from the method used to duplicate the disks.  If each
disk is EXPLICITLY formatted from the finder, you are okay, but if you
(like myself) use the 512K Disk Copy utility to make multiple copies, the
disks will NOT work if you let the utility copy them.  I think this might
be because the default initialization routines on the 800K drives are for
double sided disks.  This is just a guess however.  The lesson is:  format
the disks first, then do a 512K disk copy.

-Tom Dowdy
"If it jams, force it, if it breaks, it needed fixing anyway"
Long live Megamax C!

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 86 23:27:09 PDT
From: kegel@Juliet.Caltech.Edu (Dan R. Kegel)
Subject: Sources for ls or whereis

A friend is trying to write the Mac equivalent of the MS-DOS program 'whereis',
which searches the HFS for filenames matching a given pattern.
Do sources for such things exist (in C, Megamax, preferably)?
Actually, we'd settle for an explanation of how to get a list of files
in a certain directory from a C program, without running ls.
Thanks in advance...
- Dan Kegel (kegel@juliet.caltech.edu)

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jun 86 06:09:49 edt
From: Gail Zacharias <gz@ht.ai.mit.edu>
Subject: Standardizing file names

Is there any way to obtain the name of a file as it appears in the directory
entry?  I'm trying to get the correct capitalization of the name, i.e.
"foobar" ==> "FooBar" if that's what the user called it when he created it.
_GetFileInfo seems to leave the name as you pass it except in the indexed
case.  As far as I can tell however, there is no way to get the index of a
file from its name or its file number (short of walking thru the whole
directory, which is too costly), so that's not helpful.  Any other
suggestions?

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 15 Jun 86 19:37:13 EDT
From: Howard Walter <howard@BRL.ARPA>
Subject: Imagewrite II mechanical adjustment

I have an Imagewriter II connected to a MAC+. The imagewriter prints much
lighter on the left side of center than on the right side. Can someone
please describe how to adjust the distance from the platen?

Yes, it is under warranty but I would prefer to do the adjustments myself!

Thanks

Howard

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 86 10:10:09 cdt
From: wmartin@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU (Wiley Sanders)
Subject: Bug in Edit, version of 28 Oct 84

  There is a nasty bug in the Consulair Editor, "Edit" that came with
my version 2.0a of Absoft (now Microsoft) Fortran. This is the "ver-
sion of 28-Oct-84" of Edit as noted in the "About Edit" menu item.
  If you hack on your file for a while, then select "Quit", and click
the "yes" button when edit asks you if you want to save your changes, your
changes will not be saved and you can lose the work you have done. This will
happen if you have changed the display font or fontsize of the file; Edit
saves the change to the font, but not any changes you have made to the text of
the file. If you have made changes to the file, and have not changed the
font, the quit seems to work properly, i.e. the file is saved first.
   The fix seems to be to explicitly select "Save" before quitting Edit.
   I presume there is a newer version of Edit that has corrected this problem.
I submit this to warn those who are using the older version.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 86 22:00 pst
From: "pugh jon%e.mfenet"@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Disk Librarian

I downloaded Disk Librarian and it still crashes with surprising regularity.
I get a Segment Loader error all the time now.  Is anyone else having troubles
or is it just me?  I don't want to pay to be a beta test site, but I do want
to see this program work better.  From what I've seen of it it looks very
nice.  Is the author out there?

Jon

------------------------------

From: John T Kohl <jtkohl@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Thu, 12 Jun 86 21:04:08 EDT
Subject: DiskLibrarian 1.7

Beware that although the librarian works from a volume without a
system/finder on it, it will *not* work from an HFS folder on such a
volume.  It must be in the root of the volume to work.

John Kohl
jtkohl@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
 -or-
...!mit-eddie!ci-dandelion!jtkohl

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 16 Jun 86 15:32 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Sound and Switcher

I have noticed that sound generation under Switcher 4.9 is pretty flakey. I
have been running Klondike and Capt. Magneto under the Switcher and getting
different responses than if I run it by it's lonesome.  Notably, Klondike
does not play the intro "Sting" music regularly.  Sometimes it plays and
sometimes it doesn't.  I can't see a pattern.  Capt. Magneto doesn't talk,
although if I quit the other applications and fire it up by itself, it works
fine.  Is Switcher to blame?

I am running Switcher 4.9 on a Mac+ with Finder 5.2 and Versaterm in rotation
with each of these games.  Maybe I'll check out Concertware+...

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 1986 03:14:58 EDT
Subject: Strange problem with Appletalk and Lightspeed C.
From: Robert L. Wald  <6090617%PUCC.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>

  I'm having a strange problem with Appletalk & Lightspeed C.

I am just doing some simple functions in Appletalk before diving into
writing a real program with it. I am opening an ATP socket and giving it a
name (NBP). These seem to go alright.  After doing this I immediately
remove the name from NBP, which also seems to succeed. But when I try to
remove the socket with ATPCloseSocket, I get an error -1099 (badATPSkt).
This error also prevents me from opening any more sockets if I rerun the
program! (Error -91) I think I am giving it the correct numbers:

ATPOpenSocket(0L,&socketnum);
(Byte socketnum) (socketnum=0 initially) and immediately
ATPCloseSocket(socketnum);

which returns -1099.  The problem occurs even when I don't use NBP.  I can
create a socket again only after using the control panel to turn Appletalk
off and then on.  But the same problem reoccurs.  Also, Setting socketnum
to 0 should give me a dynamically assigned socket, but it assigns socket 0,
is this a legal socket?  Any suggestions?

-----By the way, reguarding the posting about the SFGetFIle problem,
the problem is that you must give SFGetFile a POINTER to the typelist, so
you should have SFGetFIle(apoint,NIL,NIL,2,&typelist,NIL,&reply);

Date: Mon 9 Jun 86 12:24:27-PDT
From: Calvin Teague <CAL@SU-STAR.ARPA>
Subject: Appletalk under Lightspeed C

I have been having problems similar to those reported by Robert Ward.  In
my case, ATPOpenSocket returns -1098 (tooManySkts), and leaves the socket
number 0 (I don't think this is a legal number for a dynamic socket).  I
suspect the problem is in the Appletalk routines supplied on the Lightspeed
disks.  I notice that they are over a year old, and suspect that they may
not be compatible with System 3.1.1.

Several months ago I wrote some programs under Megamax C using the Appletalk
routines.  I based my interface routines on the articles in August and
September (maybe Sept/Oct) 1985 MacTutor.  These routines make direct
PBControl() calls to the Appletalk drivers, and they do work correctly.
The open socket routine returns  noErr,  and the socket number is dynamically
assigned, nonzero, and different each time that I run the program.
I recompiled the Megamax programs under Lightspeed C, using the driver
interface routines which make the PBControl() calls, and they still work
correctly under System 3.1.1, WITHOUT loading the Appletalk resources supplied
by Lightspeed.  If I do load those resources, the programs stop working.  If
I then remove those resources (by disconnecting and then reconnecting
Appletalk through the control panel), the programs start working again.

It would appear that the Appletalk resources supplied by Lightspeed are not
really necessary at all, at least under the new ROMs and System 3.1.1, but
so far I haven't been able to get the Lightspeed ATPOpenSocket() call to
recognize anything but the resources on the Lightspeed disks.  Anyone have
any better success?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 86 15:09 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Copy Protection...

There is an excellent article on copy protection, the whys and hows, in the
IEEE Spectrum magazine for June 1986.  I recommend it if you are interested
in the details about that sort of thing.  It's not a very technical article,
but it presents overviews of the various popular methods and a discussion of
the legal aspects.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: 10 Jun 86 11:11:52 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #46

Usenet Mac Digest          Tuesday, 10 June 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 46

Today's Topics:
     Changing font and/or sizes in Multiplan?
     Manx 1.06H's System file
     Re: Thanks for the help (SFGetFile)
     Speaking of SFGetFile
     Re: Help: Travelling with a Mac
     Re: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #22
     HFS Backup
     Re: DA support (or lack thereof)
     Re: Manx 1.06H's System file
     Appletalk
     Manx 1.06H (mis)features
     Re: Getting at Laser Prep
     Megamax bug?
     International character set on the LW?
     SimpleTools with LightSpeed C?
     Re: PX and SC in Maxbug?
     courseware query
     Re: International character set on the LW?
     Re: SimpleTools with LightSpeed C?
     Re: Red Ryder 9.2
     Bibliography software for Mac

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-46.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 11 Jun 86 17:55:41 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #23

Delphi Mac Digest          Wednesday, 11 June 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 23

Today's Topics:
     Administrativia - Apple Licensing
     Disk Recovery Trick
     re: MIDI Help
     re: MacPlus bug(?), observations
     re: PX and SC in Maxbug?
     RE: generating keydown event with modifi (Re: Msg 134)
     Keydown events
     ResEdit 1.0D12 bug?
     HFS Backup 1.1
     LS/C HFS headers ?
     re: Mac Plus Cache
     RE: HFS Backup 1.1 (Re: Msg 8873)
     RE: HFS Backup 1.1 (Re: Msg 8873)
     RE: HFS Backup 1.1 (Re: Msg 8893)
     RE: HFS Backup 1.1 (Re: Msg 8884)
     RE: HFS Backup 1.1 (Re: Msg 8903)
     RE: HFS Backup 1.1 (Re: Msg 8904)
     RE: HFS Backup 1.1 (Re: Msg 8903)
     RE: HFS Backup 1.1 (Re: Msg 8905)
     RE: HFS Backup 1.1 (Re: Msg 8925)
     XRays
     512 keyboard woes
     RE: 512 keyboard woes (Re: Msg 8891)
     RE: 512 keyboard woes (Re: Msg 8899)
     RE: 512 keyboard woes (Re: Msg 8902)
     RE: 512 keyboard woes (Re: Msg 8911)
     Data Transfer
     RE: Data Transfer (Re: Msg 8897)
     picComments for LaserWriter
     RE: picComments for LaserWriter (Re: Msg 152)
     RE: HFS Backup

[

archived as [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV2-23.ARC

DoD

]

------------------------------

Date: 14 Jun 86 10:03:18 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #47

Usenet Mac Digest          Saturday, 14 June 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 47

Today's Topics:
     Rascal Fun
     Rascal Library fixes
     3' party keyboards for Macintosh ??
     Re: Memory Manager Bug?
     Functionality of FONTastic 2.7.1
     PICT format and plotter drivers
     Re: PICT format and plotter drivers
     Real music editors...
     Graphics Programs - Enquiry
     System DA
     Macintosh statistical packages
     development system wanted
     Re: Manx 1.06H's System file
     Re: Megamax bug?
     3.1.1 list manager and GetWDInfo problems
     Re: DA support (or lack thereof)
     MacInHebrew
     Re: System DA
     ExperLisp
     Re: Rascal Library fixes
     Re: DA support (or lack thereof)
     Re: Directory name from DirID?
     Re: DA/Finder Menu Bug (Delphi Digest Vol2 #22)
     512 Keyboard Woes

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-47.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 15 Jun 86 14:34:56 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #24

Delphi Mac Digest          Sunday, 15 June 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 24

Today's Topics:
     Re:  carrying Macs on airplanes
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #46 (Re: Msg 8933)
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #46 (Re: Msg 8963)
     RE: HFS Backup 1.1 (Re: Msg 8952)
     help with MountVol
     RE: help with MountVol (Re: Msg 154)
     RE: help with MountVol (Re: Msg 155)
     RE: help with MountVol (Re: Msg 158)
     Internal disk drive 2?
     RE: Multiplan
     Finder Switchin
     Dimmed font names in scrolling font menu
     RE: Dimmed font names in scrolling font (Re: Msg 9007)
     Attn rumor mongers !
     smalltalk
     turbopascal/turboprolog
     RE: turbopascal/turboprolog (Re: Msg 9048)
     RE: turbopascal/turboprolog (Re: Msg 9060)
     more mountvol fun
     RE: more mountvol fun (Re: Msg 163)
     RE: more mountvol fun (Re: Msg 166)
     RE: DIZero problems (Re: Msg 46)
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #47 (Re: Msg 9095)
     Re: 3' party keyboards for Macintosh
     RE: Help on reading messages & Hard Disk (Re: Msg 9140)

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV2-24.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 86 17:08:34 EDT
From: ms1g@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Steven Sherman)
Subject: camera desk accessory

Does anyone have the camera desk accessory mentioned in the latest MacInTouch?
Apparently it is in CompuServe's DL1 library as camera.da.@*
				-Mark

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 13 Jun 86 12:04:13 EDT
From: John Major <major@bbn-spca.arpa>
Subject: Busd'out on Appletalk?

Apparently Busd'out (a spiffier version of the Mazewars idea) runs on
"AppleBus".  I remember seeing someone say that it ran "out the modem
port", unlike Mazewars.  Now, just what is AppleBus, anyway?  How
do we "run out the modem port"?  Is there a way to get Busd'out to
run on Appletalk?  Does anyone have the Busd'out Help file?

Yours in Mazeland - Thanks,

John Major
major@bbn-spca

------------------------------

Subject: RedRyder and MacPut???
Date: Wed, 11 Jun 86 12:25:36 -0800
From: Kathleen Huddleston <gregory@ICSE.UCI.EDU>

I have used Macput to get files from the Vax to my Macintosh.  In MacTerminal
2.0, it works automatically as long as Macterminal file transfer protocol is
selected.  Does anyone know how to set up RedRyder (9.2 or other) to receive
files passively (as from Macput)?  I've tried a few things, but keep getting
timed out.
(gregory@ics.uci.edu)

------------------------------

Date: Wed 11 Jun 86 18:55:00-PDT
From: Lincoln Ong <G.Ong@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: Sorting packages for the Mac

Are there any sorting packages available for the Mac?  Can Microsoft File sort
files?

Thanks in advance for your help.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Jun 86 22:04 EST
From: GKN3M2%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: BBS Hostware for Mac

Are there any PD or user-supported (shareware) BBS programs
for the Mac-Plus?  We've usually got at least one Mac idle
most of the time and a lot of storage space available.  It might
be an interesting test of the Mac's endurance.  Please reply
directly and I'll summarize if the response is large enough.
Thanks in advance.
  Evan Bauman
  University of Notre Dame
  GKN3M2%IRISHMVS.BITNET.WISCVM.WISC.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 1986 13:03 CST
From: Rod Young  <YOUNG%UREGINA1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Request for terminal emulation types

       Does anyone have or know of a package (perferably Public Domain)
that will allow the MAC to emulate a VT1XX AND ALSO be switchable to
a terminal type appropiate for SAS/GRAPH output? ie: tek4010, vt241, etc.

                                                   Thankx -- rod

ps: perferably Public Domain, but will consider all options.
[
from the moderator:
Does Kermit do that?

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 6 Jun 1986 14:49:11-EDT
From: Michael.Barton@henry.ECE.CMU.EDU
Subject: video power supply failure and Mac+ Upgrade

Just before the warranty ran out on my 128K Mac the video power supply died.
Now the same thing has apparently happened (no picture, only vertical line
down center of screen) and it isn't under warranty any longer.  I seem to
remember some mention that upgrading to the Mac+ would involve replacing
this supply anyway.  Is this so?  Does this mean I can go ahead and upgrade
my non-working Mac and not pay for the power supply replacement separately?

-much gratitude
-mike barton (mlb@henry)

------------------------------

Date: Thu 12 Jun 86 10:25:26-PDT
From: David L. Edwards <DLE@SRI-AI.ARPA>
Subject: Paradise Drive Bug

[Uploaded to INFO-MAC for Reid Larson, all replies will be forwarded to him.]

-dle

This file describes a serious deficiency in the MAC-10 and MAC-20
hard disks from Paradise Systems, Inc.  It can occur whenever
there is simultaneous I/O to or from the disk, and from the modem
port.

The problem is subtle enough that others who have run into the
problem may have attributed the symptoms to telephone line noise.

A little background:  The paradise MAC-10 & MAC-20 are connected
to the Macintosh via the  printer (or modem) port.  During I/O,
it has to disable interrupts, just like the floppy I/O drivers.
This is why mouse movements get flaky during any disk I/O.  Losing
mouse interrupts is just a minor inconvenience.  Losing modem
port interrupts is more serious.  The Apple floppy I/O drivers check
for incoming modem characters and save them until interrupts are
re-enabled.  (See hardbound Inside Macintosh, page II-246 on the
bottom of the page.)  There's no problem with what I've described
so far - these are just quirks of the Macintosh.

The essence of the problem with the Paradise disks is that they
ignore interrupts on the modem port during disk I/O.  What this
means to the user is that incoming characters can be lost during
I/O to the paradise disk.

The problem can be easily reproduced in Red Ryder.  Just turn on
"ASCII file receive", and then type a command on the host system that
generates a lot of output.  If the file receive is directed at a
floppy disk, everything works fine.  If directed at a Paradise
volume, characters will be lost.

The problem can also be reproduced in a similar manner with
MacTerminal 2.0 by specifying "Log lines off top".

The problem will likely not occur during XMODEM receives (at least
not in Red Ryder)  because the host system is not sending any
characters when the Mac is writting to disk.  An optimally
written (does such a thing exist?) XMODEM would have problems, because
it would overlap disk I/O with incoming packets to achieve a degree
of concurrency.

The problem can be avoided by recording to a floppy disk, rather than
to the Paradise disk.

I advised Paradise of this problem on June 9 and June 10, but was
unable to get the problems resolved.  They never returned a single
call. After waiting on hold, I confirmed with Paradise that I have
their most recent software version, 2.5.  (Note that the "Start
Paradise" program is version 2.0.  This is where the bug lives.)
I finally got through to a support person who suggested that
I use SmartCom, since they haven't had any problems with it.

If you have encountered this problem, please call Paradise at
(415) 588-6000, or write to them at:

          Paradise Systems, Inc.
          217 East Grand Avenue
          So. San Francisco, CA 94080

Perhaps if they get enough calls, this will be fixed.  If I get a fixed
version, I will upload an update to this file.

                         Reid A. Larson

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 12 Jun 86 12:32:32 EST
From: Richard Crane  <CRANER%YALEVMX.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Tincan info

==========
Tincan is a terminal emulator designed to operate in conjunction with the Yale
ASCII Commmunications System, a hardware/software package that allows ASCII
terminals and micros to access IBM mainframes as 3270 style fullscreen
terminals. Yale ASCII is available as
1)  software to run on an IBM Series/1
2)  the IBM 4994, a repackaged S/1 with the software, or
3)  the IBM 7171, a IBM PC-based version

If you have any of these attached to your mainframe, then in conjunction with
Tincan on the Mac, you get full 3270 support with some enhancements.  By adding
PCTRANS, a host command available for a nominal charge from the Yale Computer
Center, you get error-free file transfer of text and binary  (Mac application)
files to/from the host.

Tincan also supports DM1521 and a limited VT100 emulation to VMS and Unix 4.2,
and PCTRANS is available for these hosts as well.  There is an autologon
feature, session capture, alternate printer support, onscreen buttons for
common commands, and a keyboard map help facility similar to the Keycaps DA;
a TTY option is also available.

The program can be modified using custom RESEDIT templates; almost every
default can be changed, the keyboard remapped, logon sequences defined, and up
to four user selectable different "services" or host configurations set up.

I'd be glad to answer any further questions:  you may send me mail directly to
my BITNET address:  CRANER@YALEVMX.

Richard Crane

    "Life is uncertain; eat dessert first."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 10 Jun 86 10:17:44 EDT
From: ms1g@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Steven Sherman)
Subject: Royalities on locally produced Softstrips

At Dartmouth, we got a softstrip reader and strip producer. I agree that
the reader seemed to work fine but the licensing materials that came with
the strip producing software essentially said that Cauzin has to be paid
royalities on anything you distribute that was printed by their program. We
had hoped to use this medium as a way to cheaply distribute code, but I
can't see any great advantage in paying royalities to the current scheme of
posting to the networks or exchanging disks. We didn't think they would do
this -- after all, the reader has value only if there is a large software
base to read. But I guess they think they can get as much as possible this
way. Anyone still using First Byte's Smoothtalker in their application?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 09 Jun 86 11:27 PDT
From: Dave Platt <Dave-Platt%LADC@HI-MULTICS.ARPA>
Subject: Printing Softstrips...

I believe that Cauzin is keeping the actual strip-format algorithms
proprietary.  Originally (as of the Feb. '86 MacExpo I attended) they
were saying that software developers would have to go to Cauzin to
publish their software in strip format.

However, as of a month or so ago, Cauzin started advertising a program
that will permit anyone (who owns it) to generate low-density
Softstrips on an Imagewriter I or II.  I don't recall for certain, but
I think it might also be able to generate medium-density strips on a
Laserwriter.  According to the Cauzin rep I spoke with, the high-density
strips require even more resolution than the Laserwriter provides, and
must be printed larger-than-life and then photographically reduced to their
final size.

The strip-printing application can be mail-ordered from Cauzin;  it
is apparently shipped in Softstrip format (what else?) and "is not
photo-copy protected."  The price seemed pretty reasonable (I think
it was $19 but it may have been more).

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 6 Jun 86 16:45 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: MacSpin

I would like to thank the people at D**2 Software for quoting my network
review of their product MacSpin in their promotional literature.  If anyone
affiliated with them is listening, please pass along my comment that they need
to modify the list of computers that are crunching data for MacSpin to work
with.  I have personally crunched data on our Crays and analyzed it with
MacSpin and Excel.  (Is this what we call reverse engineering? :-)

So my comment boils down to a list of places to get data:

IBM 30XX Series
Digital VAX Series
Prime Minicomputers
Sun and Apollo Workstations
Other Microcomputers (IBM Compatible)
Cray Supercomputers!!!!!

The advantage a Mac has over a Cray is two-fold.  It's yours alone and it is
so much friendlier.  I work as a consultant, helping people use our Crays and
I can tell you that if the Crays used as pleasant an OS as the Mac has, I
would be out of a job.  Of course, now all we need is a Mac with a clock speed
of 250 MegaHertz and the ability to pipeline floating point operations...

Jon

End of INFO-MAC Digest