From: John T Kohl <jtkohl@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>
Date: Sun, 6 Jul 86 15:04:10 EDT
Subject: Re: sad MAC error message

On pages 68 and 72 of the April '86 issue of _Macworld_, there is a
segment telling how to read the number under "Sad Mac".

Unfortunately, the chart says nothing about the code "0F0064".  Sorry.

John T. Kohl
jtkohl@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
 -or-
...!mit-eddie!jtkohl

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 3 Jul 86 23:45:50 mdt
From: dlc%b@LANL.ARPA (Dale Carstensen)
Subject: Re: Talk about easy (v4 *82) (Fullpaint)

Why not use Fedit on Fullpaint to change PANT to MPNT instead of messing with
several applications?

------------------------------

Subject: Regarding SetUpA4(),RestoreA4()
Date: Fri, 4 Jul 1986 02:18:13 EDT
From: Robert L. Wald  <6090617%PUCC.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>

   Actually these routines are documented, at least in the latest
update to Lightspeed C. Think claims that they are ROM routines
that are undocumented in IM. But I don't know about that, since it
must be getting the information from the dce record, and IM
never mentions that there is a convention to use A4 for DAs.

Regarding my outstanding problem:

   It is still outstanding. On almost identical, but separate compilations
the MyItem routine (pointed to by a UserItem in a DA Dialog) will
sometimes be called, but usually not. I am not doing ANYTHING in MyItem
at the moment but ringing the bell. I have tried locking the
DA both by setting the flag on each open, and also by making the
DA flag work $4400 with ResEdit. Nothing anybody sent me (thanks to those
who tried) helped. I am currently ignoring the problem and developing my
program as an application, and expect to try to convert the finished
program into a DA in two weeks.

Date: Tue 8 Jul 86 14:30:33-PDT
From: Malcolm B. Brown <MBBROWN@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: laserwriter problems

ANyone encountered the following?
Using system 3.2, Finder 5.3, Laserwriter driver 3.1.  Using this combination
consistently results in the Postscript error message "undefined command,
offending command: lsr".   Now "lsr" is indeed a command defined in Apple's
header.

Has anyone elserun into this and/or have any suggestions??

Malcolm Brown
BITNET: GX.MBB@STANFORD
ARPA: MBBROWN@SU-SCORE

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Jul 86 13:07 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: TML Pascal

I spoke with Tom Michael Leonard of TML Systems on the phone yesterday about
a problem I and a few others have been having with Pascal and the newer systems.
I have been using TML for a while, but after upgrading to 3.1.1 and now 3.2,
I cannot get the compiler to pass off to the linker correctly.  If I compile,
then pick Link from the Transfer menu, and then pick the file, it works fine.
If I start Pascal and then pick Compile&Go, sometimes it crashes with an id3
and sometimes it starts Link with no filename (Unnamed Application...) and
sometimes it works.  It's making my blood pressure climb.  If I pick both the
Pascal and source file icons and then double click, the same thing happens as
for the compile and go.

Tom said that he has heard about this, but cannot reproduce it on his Mac with
Hyperdrive.  I would like to collect information from people having this sort
of problem (or not having it) so that we can figure out what is going on.
Please reply to me with a description of your hardware and system.  For
example, I have a Plus with a Micahdrive and System 3.2 with the System font
redefined to be Cartoon and 14 DA's including Keycaps, Locator and the Talking
Moose.  I am trying to put together a generic diskette to send to TML to
demonstrate the problem.

Any other information is welcome.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Sun 6 Jul 86 15:50:44-EDT
From: Edward Hoffman <HOFFMAN%cheshire@columbia.edu>
Subject: Problem with Tecmar & Imagewriter?

  I've been having a great deal of trouble getting my Tecmar to cooperate
with my Imagewriter.  Although the rest of the drive's features appear to
work correctly, the print spooler simply goes through the motions.  It runs
through the dialog boxes that go with a print job, but nothing comes out of
the printer (which is hooked up correctly).
     I first encountered this problem on a 128K Mac, and was told by a few
other users that the problem was probably due to a memory shortage (I have
well over 200 icons on the four default volumes), or to the fact that I had
made the volumes bigger than the recommended maximum.  Either problem, I was
advised, should go away with an upgrade.
     After upgrading to a 512K (which I would have done anyway), I found that
I still had the same problem.  It was then suggested that I try a couple of
new settings on my Imagewriter's DIP switches, which also yielded no improve-
ments.
     Since I am in classes all day, it is virtually impossible to call Tecmar
about this problem.   Has anyone out there experienced the same difficulty?
     In addition to the Mac, Tecmar, and Imagewriter (Model 1), my system in-
cludes a Volksmodem 12.  Since I use the modem more than the printer, the drive
is connected via the printer port.  In order to print, I have to copy the
desired file(s) onto a separate disk, along with the system folder and the
necessary editors.  I then have to turn off the mac, disconnect the drive,
plug the printer directly into the computer, and reboot.  Obviously, this is
an annoying inconvenience.  Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ed Hoffman

ARPAnet:	hoffman@cheshire.columbia.edu
BITnet:		CC4.EA-HOFFMAN@CU20A

------------------------------

Date: Tue 8 Jul 86 14:04:46-PDT
From: Marvin Zauderer <ZAUDERER@su-sushi.arpa>
Subject: Printed circuit board design on theMac

Could someone please post a summary of the PC board design packages for the
Mac? Or, if you know anything about a particular package, could you please
let me know?

Thanks,
Marvin

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 3 Jun 86 23:41:45 mdt
From: dlc%b@LANL.ARPA (Dale Carstensen)
Subject: extended Dartmouth skeleton for Aztec C

I've been working on extending the Dartmouth skeleton for a few weeks, and I
think I won't do much more with it, so I thought I'd send my current version
to info-mac.  It is a Unix shar script, including the "clickable" application
in binhex4 format.

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-SKEL-AZTEC.SHAR

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 8 Jun 86 17:44:47 PDT
From: borton%sdcc3@sdcsvax.ucsd.edu (Chris Borton)
Subject: Help article on Mac downloads (nroff)

This is a document I wrote describing the different programs on Unix that aid
in downloading to the Macintosh.  I thought it might help some people
wondering what some of these programs are and other User Services personnel
that are often plagued with questions on how to use them.  The document is
written with simple nroff -ms commands; use
'[nt]roff -ms <whatever you save it as> to {view,print} it...

--Chris
-------
Chris Borton, UC San Diego Undergraduate CS; Micro Consultant, UCSD
borton@sdcsvax.UCSD.EDU || ...!{ucbvax,decvax,noscvax,ihnp4}!sdcsvax!borton
"Noch eine Woche, dann 'die Pruefungen,' und dann nach Davis bis 4 Aug wenn
 ich nach Goettingen fliegen werde.  Ich werde Euch sehr vermissen...es hat
 mir viel Spass gemacht und auch habe ich viel gelernt"

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>UNIX-DOWNLOAD-NROFF.DOC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 9 Jun 86 10:20:42 cdt
From: werner@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU (Werner Uhrig)
Subject: here comes Chris Borton's download instructions (nroff'ed)

Chris Borton posted a parting present on net.micro.mac in roff-format
which I'm offering in print-ready format to the non-Unix community.
maybe, it should be archived in both formats ?!!

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>DOWNLOAD-PRINTREADY.DOC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 5 Jul 86 10:40:43 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #53

Usenet Mac Digest          Saturday, 5 July 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 53

Today's Topics:
     Mac-Vme connection
     Resolution of laserwriter pictures
     Window Zooming
     Re: Animation Query
     Bal of power and Hardiskutil
     Mac+ and Watch cursor....
     Red Ryder for 128k Macs
     Re: Microsoft Flight Sim problem?
     Re: Lightspeed patchs in error?
     Re: Lightspeed troubles
     Apple rumors (from John Dvorak)
     Aztec C / Hard Disk 20 problem finally fixed
     Transition from LISA to MAC dev. environment.
     rotating pictures
     mac mouse
     Lighspeed C Laser Printing problems?
     Re: LaserWriter & LaserPrep bugs ver. 3.0 & 3.1
     Followup and comment on Dvorak's column
     Re: Mac+ and Watch cursor....
     Re: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #26 (COBOL query)
     MS-Fortram workaround

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-53.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 6 Jul 86 10:36:23 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #27

Delphi Mac Digest          Sunday, 6 July 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 27

Today's Topics:
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #48 (Re: Msg 9523)
     RE: MacDraw Font Sizes! (Re: Msg 9608)
     RE: Wierd Scenes Inside the Desktop (Re: Msg 9663)
     smalltalk
     Arghh! (screen dumps)
     CatMove
     RE: CatMove (Re: Msg 248)
     Fedit Plus
     RE: Fedit Plus (Re: Msg 9724)
     RE: Fedit Plus (Re: Msg 9724)
     HFS Backup and other goodies
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #52 (Re: Msg 9713)
     RE: INFO-MAC Digest V4 #81 (Re: Msg 9742)
     WARNING!!!
     MAC SOFTWARE
     RE: MAC SOFTWARE (Re: Msg 9770)
     RE: MAC SOFTWARE (Re: Msg 9778)
     RE: phonelink by borland -- any good?
     RE: Phonelink
     Astrology software
     RE: Astrology software (Re: Msg 9785)
     RE: waystation patch (Re: Msg 254)
     Re: Your comment "whatever happened to MicroSoft Typographer"?
     RE: need help for using Mac in analog data sampling
     RE: apple talk/Phone Net. (Re: Msg 9809)
     RE: Window Zooming and Red Ryder for 128k Macs
     Microsoft FORTRAN workaround for Mac 512

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.ARPA] <INFO-MAC>DELPHIV2-27.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Sat 5 Jul 86 09:01:29-CDT
From: CS.RICHMANN@R20.UTEXAS.EDU
Subject: MockPackage Plus 4.3

CE Software has just released MockPackage Plus, an enhancement of their
MockPackage of desk accessories distributed under the shareware system.
While I personally have only used the MockWrite DA, I like it well
enough to justify the payment of the shareware fee ($35 with newest
version sent to you by mail, $30 without.)  All the DA's in the
MockPackage work under HFS on a MacPlus (confirmed by me) and under MFS
on a 128K machine (not confirmed).

[
the rest of this message, describing the mockpackage and changes from
previous versions, is archived as --

[SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>DA-MOCKPACKAGE-PLUS.DOC

the binex 4.0, packitII file is archived as --

[SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>DA-MOCKPACKAGE-PLUS.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Subject: RamStart 1.23
Date: Sun, 06 Jul 86 23:27:16 -0500
From: David J. D'Souza <djdsouza@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>

	Here's the newest version of RAMSTART.  It is supposed to be
HFS compatible.  FREEWARE!!!

							David J. D'Souza
							djdsouza@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
							djd@EDDIE.MIT.EDU

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>RAMSTART-HFS.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 7 Jul 86 23:55:23 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Map Scan

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: MAP SCAN
Date: 7-JUL-1986 19:56 by JIMH (James Hopper)

This small application will read the volume name, size, number of files,
total amount of free space, and the size of the largest contiguous block of
that free space, and print it in a dialog box.  You can select all online
volumes using a next volume button, and old floppies can be ejected using
cmd shift (1 or 2) and new volumes will be mounted when inserted.  If the
largest contiguous block gets small as compared to the total free space on
the volume you might consider backing the disk up, reinitializing, and
putting the data back on the disk.  This will result in all free space in
one contiguous block.  Warning it will not long remain that way so check it
every so often.

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>MAPSCAN.HQX

DoD

]

------------------------------

Subject: Hard Disk Backup Utility -- MacDump
Date: Mon, 07 Jul 86 23:51:38 -0500
From: David J. D'Souza <djdsouza@ATHENA.MIT.EDU>

Here is a program which will allow you to backup your hard disk.  It is
like the unix utility dump.  Docs are included in this packit file.
Shareware...

							David J. D'Souza
							djdsouza@ATHENA.MIT.EDU
							djd@EDDIE.MIT.EDU

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-HARDDISK-BACKUP.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 8 Jul 86 16:12:15 cdt
From: brian@SALLY.UTEXAS.EDU (Brian H. Powell)
Subject: Paintps Released, Finally

     Here is Paintps.shar.  Paintps is a unix program which will print
MacPaint pictures on a LaserWriter connected to a UNIX machine.  Also
included are programs that allow other Macintosh output to be printed
on the LaserWriter.  See the README file and the man pages for more details.

Brian H. Powell
		UUCP:	{ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!brian
		ARPA:	brian@sally.UTEXAS.EDU
			cs.powell@r20.UTEXAS.EDU

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>UNIX-PAINTPS.SHAR

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 7 Jul 86 23:04 N
From: <INFOEARN%HLERUL5.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject: Starting a Macintosh programmers group

Yes, I'm still a bit amazed myself, but we here in Holland don't yet have
a Macintosh programmers group.  But since there are plenty of developers
around, a couple of us have decided to start one.

So to all you members of similar groups out there goes this request for
information.  What does it take to start a group like this and, more
importantly, what does it take to keep one going?

We're interested in anything useful you can come up with.  For example, what
do you do at your meetings?  Do you schedule lectures with interesting
people?  Do you run a bulletin board and if so, what does it offer?  We've
also come up with the idea of making the programmers group a 'certified
developer' (if Apple will allow it).  That way, every member can benefit
from software supplements and technical notes, which otherwise can be kind
of hard to come by.  Anybody else been thinking along similar lines or have
some other special activity?

Please answer to me directly.  If you're on Bitnet and see me online, don't
hesitate to call me for a chat (on relay with vco for example :-).  I'll
summarize for the net afterwards.

-- Thomas Fruin

   computer science graduate, Leiden University

   Bitnet      FRUIN@HLERUL5
   Arpanet     FRUIN%HLERUL5.BITNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
   FidoNet     THOMAS FRUIN on 500/15
   Relay       Dibs