Date: Tue, 1 Jul 86 23:46:08 mdt
From: dlc%b@LANL.ARPA (Dale Carstensen)
Subject: addendum to Aztec C SKEL posting

I'm not sure what I put in the Aztec C SKEL message before the shar part of
the message that should be archived, or inside the shar, that described
the history of the SKEL program, or had my name in it in case someone has a
question for me or finds a problem they would like to report to me.  So here
is what I think I missed:

This SKEL (skeleton) originated in Pascal, according to the comments (still
in the .r file) in it, at Dartmouth.  The Pascal version has been in the
Apple Software Supplement (5/85, I think,) and is also in the SUMEX archives.
A Sumacc version is also in the SUMEX archives, and/or a MegaMax C version.
This version is for Aztec C, by
  Dale Carstensen
  1504 S Sage
  Los Alamos, NM 87544
    (505)662-3691
  ARPA: dlc@lanl
  USENET: {CMCL2|ihnp4}!lanl!dlc
Some things are still missing that should be part of the SKEL, like running
the disk initialization package if a blank disk is inserted, and allowing
a save of a changed text file if quit is selected after changes are made.
The strong point of this version is finding most of the pitfalls in having
overlapping windows, and in having scroll bars.

[
This refers to the file [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-SKEL-AZTEC.SHAR

sorry, I meant to put this with the message in the last digest, but I
forgot.

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 9 Jul 86 17:10:01-CDT
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: Apple's "LISA Trade-in Offer" expires August 29, 1986

A+ magazine, issue August 86, reminds us of that fact. Remember?  $1498 and
your ol' Lisa/MacXL mistake (just kidding) gets you a MacPlus and a Hard Disk
20 mistake (not kidding).  Otherwise, Apple promises to continue to service and
support your existing hardware and software for five years after this date
(now don't misread this as saying that they will guarantee that everything that
runs on the MacPlus will run on your XL ....)

------------------------------

Date: Wed 9 Jul 86 12:59:57-CDT
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: Re: Problem with Tecmar & Imagewriter?

Ed,
	you fail to mention what levels of software you are using, but your
problem sounds identical to what happens when you use a "too recent" Image-
writer-driver (that's right: the famous 'we don't support this new stuff'
policy from Tecmar.  they'll explain it to you if you ever get to call them
and care to wait 'on hold' long enough to get to talk to their "Technical
Anyway, unless you hook up your printer to a seperate serial-port from the
Tecmar and thus do not spool through the hard disk, you should use the
driver that came with the May '85 Software Supplement, created March 6, 85
and 25K large (24660 Bytes, to be exact).   That's the only solution existing
around here (Austin, Texas).

Has nothing to do with memory shortage, as far as I know.

BTW, I hope you are using HFS on your Tecmar, if not, you may want to look
through the INFO-MAC archives and find that stuff explained a couple of months
back.

	---Werner

------------------------------

Date: Wed 9 Jul 86 13:12:08-CDT
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: Re: Talk about easy (v4 *82) (Fullpaint)

RE:
Why not use Fedit on Fullpaint to change PANT to MPNT instead of messing with
several applications?

	Well, if you share my aversion to changing the programs, you'll prefer
	to modify the document's TYPE and CREATOR field with the elegant
	and easy desk-accessory "FileInfo" from Flight of the Phoenix'
	Quick&Dirty DeskAccessories, Vol. 1.

[
from the moderator:  I have also used the SetFileAttributes program
located in the Dr. Mac package  [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>DRMACV1-HINTS.HQX
with great success.

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 4 Jul 86 11:28:44 PDT
From: chuq@SUN.COM (Chuq Von Rospach)
Subject: columb.pit.hqx (Shareware ADVSYS adventure)

Here is the first ADVSYS text adventure available.  This is from Compuserve
and is shareware.  You must have the ADVINT program from ADVSYS to run it.

chuq

[
ADVINT is part of the package [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>ADVSYS.HQX

This example adventure is archived as
[SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>ADVSYS-EXAMPLE.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 17 Jun 86 23:14:30 mdt
From: dlc%b@LANL.ARPA (Dale Carstensen)
Subject: Aztec C version of Apple's List Manager example

This is the example "list manager" application distributed by Apple,
Inc. (trademark, copyrights, etc.) with the "12/85 Software
Supplement" (shipped in 3/86) on the Lisa-only disk "12/85
Workshop Supplement 1", only it was read on a Macintosh and converted
to Aztec C version 1.06G by:
	Dale Carstensen
	1504 S Sage
	Los Alamos, NM 87544

There are 7 files:
	README		this one
	makefile	for Aztec make, has auto-backup features for use
				with RamDisk drive on a 2MB Mac and a floppy
				(not really related to list/TestExec.text)
	test.c		source of example (Workshop was list/Test.text)
	test.r		rgen input (Workshop was list/TestR.text)
	test.hqx	executable application, Aztec C version, I planned
				to include the PACK 0 and LDEF 0 resources, but
				after all the BS about Apple licenses, I think
				this example is only useful to people who bought
				the 12/85 Supplement anyway, and those resources
				are in the System file that came with that
				Supplement, so get them from there with cprsrc
				or have that system running when you run "test"
	list.h		for your Aztec include/ directory (Workshop was
				intrfc/ListIntf.text)
	ldproc0.asm	assembler source for the default LDEF (Workshop was
				lDefProc0.text)

A few notes:
1.  There was a "listmgr.h" file on net.sources.mac and/or info-mac
	a few weeks ago, for Aztec C.  It has problems with Booleans,
	both as returned from List Manager functions, and as passed to
	the function LActivate.  It has problems with not capitalizing
	some "L" characters in structure field names, in #defines for
	selFlags and AutoScroll, and in LDEF function selection (it does
	match the Inside Macintosh chapter, but it doesn't match the
	interface file on the Lisa disk (Apple?).)  It uses "enum," which
	doesn't work with 1.06G (maybe it does with 1.06H, but I don't
	have that yet.)  It doesn't even use the correct names for the
	other ".h" files, so maybe it wasn't for Aztec C, after all.  Or
	that changed too with 1.06H?  The file "list.h" is that "listmgr.h"
	file with the above problems fixed.

2.	There was an article in the April, 1986, MacTutor in the
	"C Workshop" column about the List Manager.  It uses its own
	LDEF rather than the default, to do icons rather than text.
	It has another definition of the calls for Aztec C with the
	same problems with Booleans and capital L.  Those problems
	don't happen to affect the program in the article, but the
	Apple example exposes the problems.  I prefer the "listmgr.h"
	(and "list.h") interface because it eliminates the extra JSR
	in the article's method.  There is a note in "test.r" about
	the article's suggested method for doing your own LDEF, and
	MacTutor's address, phone number, and price.

3.	You'll need to study the source to understand the action to
	expect from the example's commands.  Here are a few quiz
	questions:  (Hint:  Select "Drawing On" and execute "Update
	List" before you expect to see anything work.)
	Oh, time-consuming operations do not display the "watch," so
	have patience.  Sometimes the menu stays highlighted during
	long operations.
	1.  What will be the cell under "Cell 1,0" after "Delete Row"
		if a rectangle from "Cell 2,0" to "Cell 4,1" was selected
		before the "Delete Row"?  Why?
	2.	What happens if a cell is repeatedly single-clicked and
		"Use Cell Sense" is selected?  Shift-single-clicked?
		Clover-single-clicked?
	3.	What happens if a cell is repeatedly double-clicked?
	4.	What does Shift-clicking do?  (Hint:  Position the mouse on
		different cells between clicks.)
	5.	What does Clover-clicking do?
	6.	Select "Grow Box", execute "New List", click "Cell 0,0",
		execute "Cut", click "Cell 15,4", execute "Paste", shrink
		the window so "Cell 5,2" is at the lower right corner,
		and execute "Find First".  What cell is at the lower right
		corner now?  Did you ever wonder about scrolling without
		scroll bars and without a LClikLoop?

4.	I think there is a bug in the Pascal version of the example.
	In CloseTheList, "LDispose(myList)" is followed by
	"myList^ := NIL", and I think LDispose may leave myList
	pointing
to somebody else's memory.  I would change both
	occurrences of "myList^" in CloseTheList to "myList".

5.	See the note in list.h about LActivate's truly amazing
	behavior.

6.	See the note in test.c about MoveHHi.

7.	See the note in test.r about "Type LDEF = PROC".

8.	Apple is feathering their own nest by distributing such an
	example.  Developers will use the List Manager to have a
	consistent, powerful user interface for such data, and the
	programs will attract new Macintosh owners.  And developers
	will understand the List Manager more quickly because the
	example is available.  And developers will develop programs
	more quickly with the List Manager and the understanding of
	the List Manager.  Lots of synergy there.  So I don't
	understand why Apple put it on a Lisa-only disk in a
	Pascal-only form.  But this posting will make it available
	in Aztec C, downloadable to an ordinary Mac.  Maybe in a
	month or two, I'll take my "stdio"-oriented Lisa-only disk
	file copy utility and use the List Manager to make a
	menu/window/list version, and post that, too.  I waited two
	years for the Microsoft BASIC program to read Lisa disks.
	As far as I know, the BASIC program was never posted.
	I now have a C one, but it is too crude to post (unless I
	get requests, I guess.)

Pertinent quiz answers:
	1. "Cell 8,0"
	6. "Cell 20,6"

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.ARPA]<INFO-MAC>LISTMANAGER-AZTECC-EXAMPLE.SHAR

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jul 86 13:53 EDT
From: BELSLEY%BCVAX3.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA  (DAVID A. BELSLEY)
Subject: More benchmarking floating-point

  Since I last posted comparative floating-point timings among various C
compilers on the Mac, I've gotten numerous requests for the source code for
the Harmonic test.  Some variant of the following should do the trick:

#include "stdio.h"
main()
{
    short i;
    long time;
    double sum = 0.0;

    time = TickCount();

    for (i=10000; i>0; i--)
        sum += 1.0/i;

    time = TickCount() - time;

    printf("\nSum = %22.18f;  Time = %8.3f seconds.\n", sum, time/60.0);

    getchar();
}

When using Aztec C, one must include Event.h or some such so that the
compiler can figure out what TickCount() is.  I'm not sure what changes must
be made for LightspeedC, but I'm sure they are not major.  Also, the
declarations may differ.  Short in Mac C is 16 bits (int in Aztec), and long
(or int) is 32 bits.

I am particularly interested in the timing of this program when compiled and
run in LightspeedC.  I would also be interested in the timing if the double
declaration for sum is changed to extended (assuming LightspeedC has extended).

In Mac C, this program runs in 24.88 seconds with sum declared as double, and
in 20.92 seconds with sum delcared as extended.  Some will note that these
figures are smaller than those I posted in my previous table of comparisons.
Those figures were obtained with the first floating-point version of Mac C
(version 2.0, as I recall), and it is clear that Duvall has made things run
even more efficiently in the version 4.51 that was used here.

Once again, I give the usual disclaimer that I am in no way connected with
Consulair except as a satisfied customer.

------------------------------

Date: Wed 9 Jul 86 17:20:51-CDT
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: Macintosh Testimony [in court]

A Macintosh computer was recently a star witness in the first-degree-murder
trial of Sagon Penn, who was charged with the shooting deaths of two San Diego
policemen.  The defense contended that shots had been fired in self-defense as
Penn attempted to escape a brutal beating by the police.  The defense's case
centered on a 2.3-second tape sequence recorded by the police dispatcher that
contained the voices of citizens complaining of police brutality;  the voice of
the dispatcher; and, faintly in the background, six sounds that both the
defense and prosecution agreed could be gunshots.  Determining the exact
timing of these shots was critical to Penn's claiming of self-defense.  Defense
attorneys hired speech expert Tito Poza to assist in analysis of the brief tape
sequence.  Poza used a Macintosh with the Mac-ADIOS audio digitizer and
MacSpeech Lab signal-processing program (both produced by GW Instruments of
Cambridge, Massachussetts) to locate and time the gunshots and represent the
data graphically on the Macintosh screen.

According to Poza, "I knew the only way I could get my specialized findings
across to the jury was to play the critical section of the tape to them over
and over, with millisecond timing .... [With the Mac] there were none of the
false starts you get with an ordinary tape recorder."  Although a verdict in
the case had not been reached at press time, Poza said that the attorneys, the
judge, and the jury were impressed with the Macintosh technology and its
contribution to the analysis of important evidence.

[above, without permission, from A+ Magazine, August '86, page 16, column News
and Views, by Frederic E. Davis]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 9 Jul 86 17:59:48-CDT
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: other interesting MACstuff read in A+ of August 86

(page 59) THE LEARNING CURVE (by David D. Thornburg)

	David reports on his trip to the International Apple University
Consortium conference in Cambridge, England. [in March. pretty boring. -WRU]

(page 91) - 68000 ASSEMBLY LANGUAGE PROGRAMMING - part 3  (by Gary B. Little)

	in this, the final installment ... Little looks at some of the programs
that make up Apple's 68000 Development System.  He also shows you how to create
a simple Macintosh application.  [ very basic intro.  -WRU ]

(page 99) - CUSTOMIZING YOUR ELECTRONIC WORKPLACE (by Robert C. Eckhardt)

	although the Macintosh offers one of the most comfortable and intuitive
working environments around, all of us have ideas about how to make our Macs
even easier to work with.  From changing menus to creating new icons, several
utility programs give you the power to act on your ideas, turning your Mac into
a truly personal computer.

  [useful brief introduction to such programs as:

DA-Installer-1.5 from Quick&Dirty Utilities Volums 1, Dreams of the Phoenix Inc

Font Librarian, Proper Software

Sort Menu, public domain

MenuEdit-1.0, public domain

Font/DA-Mover, REdit-1.0, ResEdit-0.7 [better look for 1.0d..], Apple

Icon-Switcher-1.2, Icon-Libraries, PBI Software

Set-Default Font, Emerging Technologies

(page 106+)  PIPELINE [annoucing new stuff]

THE SILVER PALATE COLLECTION - 100 Recipes from 'The Silver Palate Cookbook'
	by Julee Rosso and Sheila Lukins.  adjust quantities of ingridients
	for any number of services; prints out custom shopping lists and
	recommends wines.

SYSTEM SAVER MAC - another fan/surge-protector ...

SOUND DESIGNER - DigiDesign's SD now available for the Mac now available in a
	version for the Ensoniq Mirage digital-sampling keyboard ....

EREZ ANSEL ENGINEERING SOFTWARE - Frame-Mac, Beamac, and Beamac-II, three
	structural- and civil-engineering software packages for Macs ...

PARAGENESIS CAE SOFTWARE - 2 new packages in a series.  allows engineers to
	perform gate- and functional-level digital simulations.  3 types of
	simulations are available:  12 State Logical, Physical, and Parametric.
	The 12 State mode can resolve true, false, strong, weak, conflicting,
	HiZ, and undefined logic states. ....

MACRUN - A runners' log, consists of 5 templates for MultiPlan or Excel to
	record 16 months' running activity ....

ARTIFICIAL INTELLIGENCE PROGRAMMING on the MAC - book by Dan Shafer, "intended
	for those who have a basic understanding of computers an dprogramming.
	contains 10 LOGO programs ....

LEARNING MACINTOSH PASCAL - a Programmer's Guide.
	by Joseph Boyle Wikert and Sam Davis.  'suitable for both beginners
	and experienced programmers .... shows graphics, sound, animation,
	and music using Toolbox routines ...

[ All Disclaimers apply.  hope this is useful to someone.  for me it's
  volunteer-work in the cooperative spirit.  Hope it inspires someone else
  to contribute something to this group ... Enjoy,  --Werner ]

End of INFO-MAC Digest