Date: Thu 10 Jul 86 21:46:18-PDT
From: Andrew Sweer <SWEER@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU

	The long anticipated name changes of Stanford hosts from the .ARPA
domain to the .Stanford.EDU domain are now in progress. For compatibility,
provision has been made to retain the .ARPA addresses as aliases for some
time. Now is the time to update those private distributition lists as well
as to advise foreign correspondents to change any occurrences of SUMEX.ARPA,
SUMEX-AIM.ARPA, or any other variation to SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU.

[
from the moderator:

ouch.  Ah, well.  Such is progress.

DoD.Stanford.EDU
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 86 16:20 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: TML Pascal

I have found that TML Pascal needs to have EDIT, PASCAL, and LINK in the
blessed folder for the Compile & Go function to work.  TML says that he is
working on a new version that will not suffer these problems.  He is doing
his development on a Mac+ with a 20M Hyperdrive.  Sounds like someone is
still using MFS, even though there is a full set of HFS support routines in
version 1.2.

Thanks to all who responded to my plea for help.

Jon

These opinions are mine and regardless of their accuracy, I did say them.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 86 11:24:51 EDT
From: olson@harvard.HARVARD.EDU (Eric Olson)
Subject: RE:  laserwriter offendinf lsr command

lsr undefined could occur if the laserwriter was not initialized with
LaserPrep 3.1.  If you have more than one Mac on your net, they should
all run the same version of the laserwriter files.  If this is the problem,
power cycling the LW will cause it to reload with the LaserPrep from the
first Mac that prints to it.

If lsr is still illegal, this is neither the problem nor the solution.

-Eric

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 86 11:10:46 cdt
From: oakhill!tomj@SALLY.UTEXAS.EDU (Tom Johnson)
Subject: System crashes with Driver 3.1 on 512k Mac's

I believe I have found a problem with using the new (3.1) LaserWriter
drivers on a Mac512K...edit a Draw document, draw a figure using the
polygon tool, print it -- prints O.K., choose smoothing on this figure
and print it again -- crashes the system with ID 02.  This only seems to
happen on 512K's.

Overall configuration is:  15 assorted Mac's (512K's and Plus's), 2 Laser
Writers (not pluses), all attached on appletalk and using MacServe with
about 6 of the Macs (4 Plus's and 2 512k's) set up as servers and the
rest as user nodes.  The servers use a mix of Plus's with Peak Plus30's and
HD20's and the 512k's use HD20's.

The problem occurs ONLY on 512k's using either Sys 3.2/Finder 5.3/Driver 3.1
*or* Sys 3.1.1/Finder 5.2/Driver 3.1.  Haven't tried Sys 3.2/Finder 5.3/
Driver 3.0.  I believe the problem to be one of incompatibility between
Driver 3.1 and the 64k ROMs in the 512k's.

Another variation on the problem is to paste the smoothed figure into a
Write document and print.  The document prints, but no smoothed figure!

Any assistance/ideas on what to try next would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance.  Tom Johnson  (ut_sally!oakhill!tomj)

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 86 20:07 CDT
From: Chan@HI-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: problem running MacDump

I have problem trying to get MacDump to run.  Does anyone get it to work
on a 512K Mac?  I am running Finder 5.2, System 3.2 with the Apple's
HD20.  Everything seemed OK until I got to the point that MacDump asked
for a new disk.  No matter what I did, MacDump insisted I have a disk
with the old file and wanted a HFS disk.  This included disk initialized
by MacDump (BTW, the dialog box only siad eject or initialize but the
Macdump doc said clipped on the one-sided while holding the option key
-- maybe this is the case for a Mac+), or disk previuosly initialized.
I would really like to back up my HD20.  Would like to know if someone
got MacDump running on a 512K Mac.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 10 Jul 86 16:14 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Lightspeed C timings

I ran the harmonic benchmark through Lightspeed and produced these results in
just a few minutes.

Data Type       Size (bits)     Sum                     Time

float           32              9.787604331970214843    20.333
short double    64              9.787606036044385505    20.667
double          80              9.787606036044382267    16.667

These times are approximate and should be used only for comparison. Your times
may vary.

Please note that the quoted times for Consulair were 20 and 24.  That makes
Lightspeed about 4 seconds faster.  This was run on a Mac+ though, so that
might account for it.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 86 9:25:59 EDT
From: Meredith Lesly <mlesly@bbn-labs-b.arpa>
Subject: LSC harmonic test

I ran the program as is (no changes needed!) with the following time:
19.867 secs.  Oddly enough, changing i to a register variables made no
difference in time - I'll have to look at the object code to figure out
why.  I suppose that the overhead of it being a non-register variables is
minimal compared to the rest of the loop.  This was with 80-bit numbers,
btw.

With "short doubles" (64-bit numbers), the time was 25.45 seconds.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 86 14:17:56 MDT
From: t-jacobs%utah-cbd@utah-cs.arpa (Tony Jacobs)
Subject: LightspeedC on harmonic bench

Regarding (DAVID A. BELSLEY) &
Subject: More benchmarking floating-point

I ran the harmonic program using LightspeedC and the following code:

#include "stdio.h"

main()
{
     short i;
     double sum;
     float time;

     sum = 0.0;

     time = TickCount();
     for (i=1; i<10001; i++)
          sum += 1.0/i;

     time = TickCount() - time;
     printf("time = %6.2f secs.\n", time/60);

}

the time came out as 20.42 secs. on a regular mac
and 16.98 on a Mac+!

I assume the Mac+ is faster because of some of the new stuff that is in the
roms now.

Lightspeed defines a 'double' to be the extended 84 bits
with a 'short double' being 64 bits. The time for a short double
was about 25 seconds.

By the way, it only took me 1 min. 45 secs. to start up LightspeedC,
build the project file, compile, run for a test ( which includes the 20 sec
run time), build the application into a standalone, and exit to the finder!

Tony Jacobs
t-jacobs@utah-cbd

------------------------------

Date: Fri 11 Jul 86 10:54:20-PDT
From: Woo-Sang Park <PARK@SU-STAR.ARPA>
Subject: need a help on Mac hard disk

Hello, there !
This is one of the EE grad student. Since I have a bare 20M hard disk unit,
I am thinking of building a hard disk for my 512K FatMac by myself.
I will probably upgrade my Mac before installing a hard disk. This could
be either an upgrade into MacIntosh Plus or an upgrade with a new ROM and an
800K internal disk drive at least. I need to build an controller board for
the hard disk, I think.
Do you have an hardware specification on MacIntosh/MacIntosh+, especially
SCSI interface specs ? If not, who(what) is a good source for those infos ?
Are there real good hands-on people around on campus, whom I can talk to ?

Any suggestions are very welcome !
I desperately need a big help on this matter. I really appreciate your help
concerning this matter. Hope to hear from you soon.

Please send me a reply at 'park@su-star'. Thanks much !

	Woo-Sang

------------------------------

Date: 11 Jul 86 11:28:32 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #54

Usenet Mac Digest          Friday, 11 July 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 54

Today's Topics:
     HFS Backup-RESTORE Review, and Apple HD20 \"Missing Space\"...
     Re: mac mouse
     MiniFinder-type question...
     Problems with Laserwriter file 3.1
     Fedit blues
     Flight Simulator Problems
     Apple Bug in new system???
     Micah Micahmount enhancements
     LightSpeed C SetEventMask bug
     Hard Disk Back-Up Programs
     Lightspeed C & Hard Disk 20
     Info on twiddling cache in PRAM?
     C compilers for scientific applications
     Alternate MacDraw Menu
     Re: Problems with Laserwriter file 3.1
     Re: mapscan.hqx
     Re: Window Zooming
     Dr. Dobbs Upgrade and HD drives
     Ether-Apple talk
     Re: alternate MacDraw menu
     MaxPrint with mac plus and HD20
     experlisp and experops5 on machintosh
     More items from Mactel
     Relational Databases duplicate entries

[
archived as [SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-54.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 86 20:13 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: HFS Pathname FKEY

This is a Packit file (uncompressed) that contains my first real
Macintosh program.  It is an FKEY (number 6 to be precise)
called Pathname that presents the user with the SFGet Dialog box
and places the chosen file's complete path name into the
Clipboard for subsequent pasting. It is a must for anyone using
their hard disk for a slideshow type script file or for include
file specifications (unless you are normal and put ALL your
include files in the same folder).

This only works on the new ROMs or with the HD20 driver present.
It was written in TML Pascal on a Mac+ with a Micahdrive.

I have a few comments and questions about this.  If the
Clipboard is the foremost window when this is called, the update
event will only update the portion of the window covered by the
SFGet dialog box, resulting in an inaccurate and goofy looking
window at times.  Is there a way to force the entire window to
update, aside from bringing another window to the front and then
bringing the clipboard to the front again. I suppose I could
cause the entire screen to update, but that seems somewhat
overbearing.  How can I just update the entire front window if
and only if it is the clipboard (a tall order, I suspect).

Plus, if you are in an editor the cursor is normally a bar and
when you get back from Pathname the cursor is an arrow again. It
will not change until it crosses a boundry where it is supposed
to change, like onto the menu bar. Anyone know a way to retrieve
and reset the cursor?  Wouldn't that be a fairly obvious thing
to do or am I just being dumb?

All in all these are two fairly minor points.  I hope they do
not prevent you from enjoying this little ditty.  By the by, you
should use ResEdit to open the file Pathname and copy the FKEY
from it and open your System and paste the FKEy into it.  No
sweat, no hassle.

Have fun,

Jon

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-HFS-PATHNAME.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Subject: Office Macs?
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 86 11:48:17 -0800
From: Kathleen Huddleston <gregory@ICSE.UCI.EDU>

Here at UCI we are experimenting with having our secretarial staff use
Macintoshes in a 4.2 Unix environment. They usually used emacs or vi and
various formatters to produce their work -- supporting faculty and
departmental work. Now, we're having them use MacTerminal and hoping to
give them some new capabilities.  So far, all their machines are
stand-alone and they have no local Macintosh printing -- they are still
working mainly on the Unix machines.

I would like to learn about others experiences moving from time-shared
Unix environments to environments with Macs connected to Unix -- and
possibly networked to each other in some way. What have you included
in the basic workstation (e.g., Mac, printer, floppy or hard drives)?
Have you networked the Macs? How? What kinds of Mac printing have you
provided (Imagewriters, LaserWriters, imagens, others)? Are you using
file servers for the Macs? Unix machines as file servers? Are you
using the Unix programs that allow Mac documents to be printed on imagens?
What lessons have you learned?

Currently, seven secretaries - distributed in suites on a single floor -
and three faculty have Macs. If we found a successful plan, we might
want to increase this to 20 - 30 users distributed in several locations.
I would be interested in any accounts related to work settings with
both Macs and Unix and multiple users that need to share files.

You can send a response to gregory@ics.uci.edu. If you don't want to
compose an E-Mail message or would be willing to discuss this further
over the phone, include you phone number and I will call to ask you
about it.

Thanks so much.  Kathleen Huddleston (gregory@ics.uci.edu)

------------------------------

Subject: SCSI hard disks?
Date: Thu, 10 Jul 86 11:31:34 -0800
From: Kathleen Huddleston <gregory@ICSE.UCI.EDU>

I am considering a 20 megabyte hard disk. Currently, I'm thinking about
the LoDown or Dataframe 20 because they are both affordable (< $1000),
quiet - no fan - and I have heard they are reliable.

I would appreciate any first hand -- or reliable second-hand -- reports
about either of these drives, or others that I should consider. If you
can recommend a good mail-order source (outside California) with a good
price on either of these, I would also appreciate the phone #.

I currently have a Monster Mac Plus - I will need to get the Levco
SCSI. Any experience with compatability of Levco SCSI?

OTBE, I like having the harddisk fit under the Mac, as the LoDown does,
rather than on the side, but reliability, features, price and noise
level are my main concerns.

Send replies to gregory@ics.uci.edu
Thanks

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 1986 12:35 EST
From: Dave Elbon  <SYSDAVE%UKCC.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject: MazeWars

Is there a version of MazeWars (or something similar) that will run
on a Mac+ with System 3.2?  If so, how can I get it?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 9 Jul 86 16:58:58 pdt
From: well!phoffman@lll-lcc.ARPA (Paul Hoffman)
Subject: _The Academic Macintosh_

I am writing a book called _The Academic Macintosh_ which will cover all the
uses of the Mac on college campuses. I am very interested in any Mac projects,
especially those not covered in Wheels For The Mind. The book will cover
how professors and students use commercial Mac programs as well as the the
programs they write themselves. If you are working on a Mac project on campus,
please send me mail or call me.

Paul Hoffman
2000 Center Street, Suite 1024
Berkeley,  CA  94704
415/644-0433

UUCP:        well!phoffman@lll-crg
BIX:         paul.hoffman
WELL:        phoffman
CompuServe:  71545,346
MCI Mail:    Proper Software

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 11 Jul 86 12:06:08 PDT
From: Lionel_Tolan%SFU.Mailnet%UBC.MAILNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: Info-Mac is fantastic

Info-Mac is fantastic.  I've participated in a number of conferences on a
number of conferencing systems and I think Info-Mac is the best.  Having
a Mac Newsletter delivered each day is wonderfully painless and having
a moderator who either discourages or deletes useless chat saves me
over an hour a day.  I think the moderator must personally be responsible
for saving the North American (perhaps the world) economy hundreds of
thousands of people hours annually.......  Sorry for the idle chat!

[
I want no comments from the peanut gallery.  All right, this has nothing
to do with the Macintosh.  But if you want your message included in
a digest ...

DoD
]

End of INFO-MAC Digest