Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1986 09:26 PDT
From: POOL  <71263%UWACDC.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject: Finder 5.3 disk copy side-effect

Finder 5.3 seems to update the modification date on the SOURCE disk, as
well as on the target disk, when the user copies one disk to another.
Any reason for this confusing behavior?

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 86 12:25:26 CDT
From: Scott Comer <wert@rice.edu>
Subject: External File Systems...

Has anyone seen the "detailed description" of External File Systems promised
in Tech Note 14 (Data Servers on AppleTalk)? Anything intersting on the
AppleTalk Filing Protocol (AFP) which was mentioned in the same note?

Thanks,
scott

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 13 Jul 1986 09:41 PDT
From: POOL  <71263%UWACDC.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject: international string comparison localization

When using fonts with extra characters, I naturally found that alphabetizing
routines, such as Excel's Data.Sort routine, don't correctly alphabetize
any longer.  So, using the Swedish version of INTL ID=1 resource as a model,
I wrote a localization routine to replace the RTS instruction at the end of
the USA INTL ID=1 resource, and voila, I got the alphabetization routine to
recognize the positions I had specified for the added characters.  So then
I thought, what if I write another one to give upper and lower case letters
different positions?  Will that permit me to search by case in programs like
Excel that don't allow that?  So I tried it, and it failed.  It appears that
the international string comparison localization routine, if any, is
inspected only for those characters in the upper 128 of the set.  If any of
this inference is wrong, I'd appreciate corrections.
    --Jonathan Pool, DO-30, U. of Wash., Seattle WA 98195
      (71263@UWACDC.BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: 15 Jul 86 17:22:00 EDT
From: Jeff McAffer  <Jeff_McAffer%CARLETON.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject: MC68010 in a Lisa or Mac

Recently, (today) I tried a MC68010 in a Lisa 2/10 and it seemed to work
its way through the boot sequence until it started using Mac traps.
Rumor has it that the MC68010s push an extra word on the stack when it
traps, thus the cause.  Regardless, has anyone out there put
a MC68010 (or MC68020) in a Lisa or Mac successfully without massive
hardware additions?

                                    :m

------------------------------

Date: 15 Jul 86 13:43:40 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #55

Usenet Mac Digest          Tuesday, 15 July 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 55

Today's Topics:
     Make A Mac+ Hard Drive Question
     Who owns a Mac???
     20 meg hard disks
     Using Many Font Sizes
     Re: rotating pictures
     true code-generating M2 for the Mac ?
     Generic Applications
     3 questions about Rascal (Reed listening ?)
     Cheaper than Levco 68020 Mac Upgrade
     Rotated text
     Anyone know of a Schematic Capture program?
     Gemini-10 Driver Needed
     Mac+ Architecture Diff?
     Re: experlisp and experops5 on machintosh
     Re: Anyone know of a Schematic Capture program?
     Re: Mac+ Architecture Diff?
     Job Openings at Apple
     PICT format & picture types
     Resource Editor
     More from Living Video Text
     LaserWriter 3.1 bug
     problems with displaying PICT's in dialogs.
     Re: Mac+ Architecture Diff?
     IM Conjecture
     Re: Re: mapscan.hqx

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-55.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 1986 09:17 EST
From: Herman Collins  <SYSHERM%UKCC.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject: Need Info on the MacPlus Keyboard

I have been trying to configure Kermit to work with my spiffy new
MacIntosh Plus; unfortunately, the Kermit configuration program doesn't
recognize the new keyboard.  I have managed to bash in values for
all of the keys except the five "new" ones in the upper right corner
("=/*-+"), but I don't know the scan codes.  Does anyone have a Kermit
configure program that works with the new keyboard?  Can anyone tell me
where to find a chart of the scan codes on the new keyboard?  Can anyone
tell me what the codes are for those five keys?

On a related subject, KeyCaps (with System 3.2 & Finder 5.3) recognizes
the new keyboard, but it acts like the shift key is pressed each time
one of those five keys is pressed.  Is this right?

Thanks ...

                                     Herman Collins
                                     SYSHERM@UKCC.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 86 09:19:28 edt
From: earvax!ijs@EDDIE.MIT.EDU (Ishmael J. Stefanov-Wagner)
Subject: Re: Chinese Character Word Processor

> I like to know if there exists CHINESE CHARACTER FONT
> for the Macintosh programs.  Also is there a MacWrite for Chinese
> Word Processing?

We recently saw a demonstration of FeiMa, a Chinese Word Processor
for the 512K Mac.  User interface, I/O, etc. is all in Chinese or
icons.  Looks great.  Character entry or recognition by Chinese Typewriter
(on screen via mouse), calligraphic recognition, or four other means.
Characters printed and displayed at 24*24 pixel resolution.  Also
includes traditional->simplified character translation.  Faster than
other Mac software I have seen.  Does have capability to include english
text if desired.  Has standard 35*70 set of `typewriter' characters,
optional 3k characters which can selected for `spare' slots on the
typewriter, plus ability to draw your own characters.  WOW!  Even if
you do not use the editing capabilities it is much faster and easier
to use than the mechanical typewriter, as you can zip about with the
mouse and just click on a character rather than the whole song and dance
of inking the type and striking - plus it is right reading rather than
reversed.

Written by Wu Corporation, 46 W. Avon Road, Avon, CT, 06001 USA
phone 203-673-4796

/* Disclaimer:  I have no financial or other connection with Wu
   Software */

	|\___/|		Ishmael J. Stefanov-Wagner
        |/. .\|		Eaton-Peabody Laboratory
         \=^=/		{think,harvard,mit-eddie}!eplunix!ijs

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 14 Jul 86 15:28:40 EDT
From: David A. Levitt <levitt@MEDIA-LAB.MIT.EDU>
Subject: INFO-MAC Digest   V4 #85

Re Dave Elbon's query about MazeWars:
 MacroMind (makers of MusicWorks, VideoWorks, and the new ComicWorks for
the Mac) is finishing MazeWars+, a radical improvement on the original
Burt Sloane version you may have seen.  It has (at last viewing) multiple
levels, TARDIS-style transporter booths, 3D first person projectiles,
and optional dragging of your character through the maze with the mouse.
It can be played over AppleTalk or a modem.
They'll be bringing it to MacWorld in Boston next month.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 15 Jul 86 16:14:14 edt
From: ms1g@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Steven Sherman)
Subject: Objective C

Does anyone have information on Objective C, specifically 1) does an
implementation exist for the Macintosh, 2) does an implementation exist for
Unix and 3) what is the name/address/phone of the company/group responsible
for it?

End of INFO-MAC Digest