Date: Thu, 17 Jul 86 11:30:52 MDT
From: t-jacobs%utah-cbd@utah-cs.arpa (Tony Jacobs)
Subject: Re: Objective C

The latest Software Supplement - Volume 1 Issue 3 June 27, 1986
has a section on Object-Oriented Languages and states:

Productivity Products, Inc. plans to port their Objective C(tm) system to the
Macintosh. If you ar interested in their object-oriented C, please contact:

PPI
27 Glen Rd.
Sandy Hook, CT 06482
(203) 426-1875

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 86 01:56 N
From: <INFOEARN%HLERUL5.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>

In Info-Mac number 87 Mark Steven Sherman asks:
>Does anyone have information on Objective C, specifically 1) does an
>implementation exist for the Macintosh, 2) does an implementation exist for
>Unix and 3) what is the name/address/phone of the company/group responsible
>for it?

In October of last year Keith Rule (tektronix!teklds!keithr) posted an object
oriented preprocessor for Aztec C to Usenet in both hqx en source forms.  You
might want to get in touch with him about it.

You reading this, Keith?

-- Thomas Fruin

   Computer Science graduate, Leiden University, Netherlands

   Bitnet:     FRUIN@HLERUL5
   Arpanet:    FRUIN%HLERUL5.BITNET@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
   FidoNet:    THOMAS FRUIN on 500/15
   Relay:      Dibs

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 86 11:45:32 PDT
From: sml@Ford-wdl1.ARPA (Steve Lazarus)
Subject: Info on Objective C

>Subject: re: Objective CDate: Tue, 15 Jul 86 16:14:14 edt
>From: ms1g@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Steven Sherman)
>Subject: Objective C
>
>Does anyone have information on Objective C, specifically 1) does an
>implementation exist for the Macintosh, 2) does an implementation exist for
>Unix and 3) what is the name/address/phone of the company/group responsible
>for it?

Objective C is discussed in the book "Object-Oriented Programming" by
Brad Cox.  It is published by Addison-Wesley. Cox's company is called
Productivity Products Approach.  I think he markets Objective C.

Steve Lazarus			(415) 852-4203

Ford Aerospace			...{fortune,sun}!wdl1!sml (UUCP)
MS X-20				sml@ford-wdl1	    (ARPA)
3939 Fabian Way
Palo Alto, CA  94303

------------------------------

Date: 0  0 00:00:00 EDT
From: "Rick Jones" <jones@nrl-lcp>
Subject: Laser+ Misalignment

     Has anyone noticed some misalignment in LaserWriter Plus output
when using magnification?  I have been producing blowups that span pages (9)
and have noticed that it just doesn't line up correctly - this is using
MacDraw and the 3.? version of the LaserWriter driver.

Rick Jones
jones@nrl-lcp.arpa

thanks for any info/pointers to info

------------------------------

Subject: MACDRAW, Laserwriter and MAC 512
Date: 17 Jul 86 11:56:59 PDT (Thu)
From: leiner@RIACS.ARPA

I recently upgraded our system files to System 3.2, Finder 5.3,
Laserwriter 3.1.  Now MACDRAW 1.9 bombs with ID=2 when we try to print.
Turned off smoothing and font substitution, eliminated rounded corners
on polygons, and it still bombed.

Anyone know what's going on (or better yet, have a fix).

Thanks for the help.

Barry

------------------------------

Date: Fri 18 Jul 86 07:05:35-PDT
From: JAY HIRSH <HIRSH%BIONET@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>

Subject:  Problems with fonts under new system files.

We recently updated to Finder 5.3, System 3.2, Laserwriter 3.1 and our
Laserwriter is now acting bizarrely:  The Helvetica and Courier fonts
print normally in plain text mode, but we are unable to access italics
or boldface.  Times does not print as a Laser font, but instead comes
through as a pixel-based font.
We have tried the following, to no avail:  1) Use installer to install
the Laserwriter driver instead of just making a finder copy.  2)  Use
the new version of Font/DA mover (3.2) to transfer the fonts from an
old disk.  Our local tech support claimed that older Font/DA movers
could corrupt the fonts.
Any insights/corrective actions would be appreciated.
Jay Hirsh  (Hirsh/BIONET)
Phone 617-732-2046 if you've got the answer!!

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jul 86 13:24:00 EDT
From: Jeff McAffer  <Jeff_McAffer%CARLETON.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject: Sorry!  (LaserWriter and AppleTalk clarification)

In the previous message regarding the LaserWriter and AppleTalk I must
have deleted a line accidently.  I would like to talk to the LaserWriter over
a AppleTalk line and so far the only way I have found to do that is to
use the LaserWriter print driver (ie. go into edit and say print). The file
I have is raw PostScript and I want to download it to the LaserWriter and
run it.  When you say print from edit it wraps your text (my raw PostScript)
in more PostScript code and then sends it to the LaserWriter.
I have to go directly from my file to AppleTalk (and the LaserWriter) but
I don't know 1) if it is possible and 2) if it is, how to do it.
If it is possible then I can download the file and run it just as it
is and I will be happy.  Otherwise, I guess my only option would be
to transfer it over a serial line.  (I know this works as I have done it)
Sorry about the mixup and hope you understand what I am looking for.
                         Thanks,

                                    :m

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 86 01:55 N
From: <INFOEARN%HLERUL5.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject: More problems with System 3.2 and LaserWriter 3.1

In Info-Mac volume 4 number 81 David Belsley writes:
>Open MS Word 1.05 with MacSpell+ installed.  Open MacSpell+ from the Apple
>menu.  The Standard File Dialog Box will now appear for opening a
>dictionary.  Insert the dictionary disk in the external drive (now, not
>earlier).  It will not be recognized and mounted.  Pressing Control-Shift 1 or
>2 will cause it to be recognized, but it will not be mounted on its own.
>
>Doing the same with System 3.1.1 works ok.

I've had the same problem with the Standard File Dialog when using MacKermit
(the version I use is 0.8(34)).  Pressing the Tab key also causes the disk
to be recognized and mounted, but like David said, not before that.

Some time ago somebody mentioned having problems using the LaserWriter with
the new system software.  It had to do with an error in translating from
QuickDraw to Postscript if I recall correctly.  Well, looks like I'm having
the same problem.

I'm using a Macintosh Plus with Hard Disk 20 and LaserWriter with the latest
set of system files (that's System 3.2, Finder 5.3, LaserWriter 3.1,
LaserPrep 3.1 and Chooser 2.3).  When I choose the Print command (I tried from
the Finder and in MicroSoft Word 1.05) the usual status message appears and
then the message:

   error;undefined; offending command:lsf

and sometimes:

   error;undefined; offending command:bdf

There will also be a plain English alert telling me the document is OK, but
that it could not be converted to Postscript.  As soon as I change back to
LaserWriter 3.0 and LaserPrep 3.0 everything is fine.  I've tested these
conditions with everything on the net disconnected except for the Mac and
LaserWriter.  And I power-cycled the LaserWriter *many* times...

Oh how I wish Apple would get it's vacancy for 'Localisation Engineer' filled.
We really have to wait *long* out here to get translated system files...

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 86 13:18 pst
From: "wight jeremy%d.mfenet"@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: control panel feature?

Has anyone else noted the following bug in the new control panel?

Open the control panel and set the "Delay Until Repeat" to zero.
Now the PRAM should be set so that keys never auto repeat. Close
the control panel and try typing (a folder name--what have you).
Things are as expected--holding down any key for a long time doesn't
produce any repeats. Now shut the system down ("Shut Down", programmers
switch, etc.), restart, and again open the control panel. Though it
will say that the auto-repeat feature is still off, try typing! The
bloomin thing repeats like crazy! And it will for all subsequent restarts.

This same "feature" exhibits itself with the "Key Repeat Rate" set to the
longest setting--upon shutdown and restart, the control panel verifies
that the machine is in its longest setting repeat state, yet there is
almost no delay at all between keypress and repeat. I have tried this with
two Mac plusses and one 512E, and get the same problem. The system is 3.2;
finder 5.3. The control panel says 2.0 under the "Rate of Insertion Point
Blinking." which I assume is  its version number. It does not matter if
control panel is opened from the desktop, or from within some other
application. Appletalk is disconnected.

Forgive me if this is a well-documented problem, but I have not seen any
references to it. I hate repeating keys, which is how I came to notice it.

Jeremy Wight

"Whosoever of ye raises me a white-headed whale with a wrinkled brow and a
crooked jaw...he shall have this gold ounce, my boys!"

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 19 Jul 86 20:27:45 PDT
From: woody@Juliet.Caltech.Edu (William E. Woody)
Subject: HD20 causing mouse freezeout

  Well, I just bought myself an Apple HD 20; I don't know how I managed to
survive without one.  The thing is fantastic!  However,...

  Occasionally, the mouse cursor will freeze.  This has happened to me
several times.  For example, something will happen so that everytime I try
to double-click a folder to open it, the mouse will freeze.  I'll reboot
the machine, and the mouse will freeze again, while double clicking the
same folder.  (Note that using the "open" key will open the folder, without
freezing the mouse.)

  Questions:
  (1)  Why is this happening to me?  I'm running Finder v5.3 and System v3.2,
using a 512K mac with the old roms, and version 1.1 of the Hard Disk 20 file.
Should I be running a different version of anything?
  (2)  How can I unfreeze my mouse when it gets frozen?  PD software?
  (3)  Will this problem go away if I install the new ROMs?  I'm probably going
to do that sometime in the next month as soon as I get the money...

  Thanks for the help.

- William Woody                              mac > /|\ && ][n
  woody%romeo@hamlet.caltech.edu

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jul 86 09:17:38 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #29

Delphi Mac Digest          Thursday, 17 July 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 29

Today's Topics:
     RE: Copy-protection (Re: Msg 10157)
     RE: Copy-protection (Re: Msg 10162)
     RE: Copy-protection (Re: Msg 10163)
     RE: Copy-protection (Re: Msg 10163)
     RE: Copy-protection (Re: Msg 10071)
     RE: MaxPrint on a + w/HD20
     RE: Copy-protection (Re: Msg 10163)
     RE: Mac C for MPW? (Re: Msg 279)
     Extensible Desk Accessories
     RE: Extensible Desk Accessories (Re: Msg 286)
     RE: Extensible Desk Accessories (Re: Msg 286)
     RE: Extensible Desk Accessories (Re: Msg 294)
     RE: Extensible Desk Accessories (Re: Msg 296)
     Dollars & Sense
     RE: Dollars & Sense (Re: Msg 10225)
     Toshiba 321 et.al.
     RE: Toshiba 321 et.al. (Re: Msg 10247)
     RE: Toshiba 321 et.al. (Re: Msg 10258)
     RE: Toshiba 321 et.al. (Re: Msg 10326)
     RE: Toshiba 321 et.al. (Re: Msg 10286)
     INITs
     RE: INITs (Re: Msg 292)
     Double Helix and new ROM's
     Flaming and Electronic Communications
     TWILIGHT ZONE SCRAPBOOK
     RE: TWILIGHT ZONE SCRAPBOOK (Re: Msg 10302)
     RE: TWILIGHT ZONE SCRAPBOOK (Re: Msg 10310)
     RE: TWILIGHT ZONE SCRAPBOOK (Re: Msg 10310)
     Lightspeed Pascal Preview
     RE: Macintosh Programmers Workshop (Re: Msg 10255)
     MacWrite dies a horrible death
     RE: MacWrite dies a horrible death (Re: Msg 10321)
     RE: MacWrite dies a horrible death (Re: Msg 10331)
     MPW bugs
     RE: MPW bugs (Re: Msg 307)
     Apple Positions
     RE: Copy-protection (Re: Msg 10298)
     RE: MultiWrite review

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV2-29.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jul 86 09:19:06 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: QDial1.4.hqx

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: QDIAL 1.4
Date: 16-JUL-1986 19:47 by LAPORTE

[ Updated to version 1.4 16-JUL-1986 03:38 by LAPORTE.  More robust
with Mac+'s.  Doc file unchanged.  Requires 100% Hayes compatible
modem. ]

This is QDial 1.2.  It is a background autodialer which will keep dialing a
number until a connection is made.  Quite a nice toy to have if you call a lot
of busy BBS's.

This is a BinHex4.0 PackItII file.

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-QUICKDIAL-14.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 17 Jul 86 23:40:55 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: mapscan.hqx

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

This is an update to Mapscan the old version would not work with 20 meg drives
as i did not account for vcbNmAlBlks being an unsiged integer.  with a 20 meg
drive this is treated in Pascal as a negative number.  I have only 10 megs
so did not catch it and took inside mac at its word that it was an integer.
I appologize for my stupidity!  jim

Name: MAP SCAN
Date: 17-JUL-1986 21:48 by JIMH

[ Updated 16-JUL-1986 22:52 by JIMH.  Now treats vcbNmAlBlks as an unsigned
integer to work on 20 Meg drives. ]

This small application will read the volume name, size, number of
files, total amount of free space, and the size of the largest
contiguous block of that free space, and print it in a dialog box.
You can select all online volumes using a next volume button, and old
floppies can be ejected using cmd shift (1 or 2) and new volumes will
be mounted when inserted.  If the largest contiguous block gets small
as compared to the total free space on the volume you might consider
backing the disk up, reinitializing, and putting the data back on the
disk.  This will result in all free space in one contiguous block.
Warning it will not long remain that way so check it every so often.

[
from the moderator:

I replaced the old version with this one.

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MAPSCAN.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jul 86 15:27:31 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #56

Usenet Mac Digest          Friday, 18 July 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 56

Today's Topics:
     APL terminal software?
     LaserWriter and Quickdraw
     Re: Anyone know of a Schematic Capture program?
     Help: TMON purge bombs DrawString().
     Question:  Adding Patterns to a PAT# Within a Program?
     Finder looses file...?!
     Got info on MacIntalk ???
     Re: LaserWriter and Quickdraw
     TeX & LaTeX on Macintosh
     Running in place
     Dead Disk
     Levco/ROM debugger/system file ques
     Re: problems with displaying PICT's in dialogs.
     PICT items in Dialogs
     July 14 InfoWorld
     Boston II and ImageWriter II
     Re: Finder looses file...?!
     Re: Mac+ Architecture Diff?
     Wanted: Virtual driver info...
     Re: Boston II and ImageWriter II

[

archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-56.ARC

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 18 Jul 86 13:29 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Pathname (now works for MFS also!)

Enclosed is the last update I will ever make to this beast!

This is a Binhexed Packit file (uncompressed) that contains my
first real Macintosh program.  It is an FKEY (number 6 to be
precise) called Pathname that presents the user with the SFGet
Dialog box and places the chosen file's complete path name
(under HFS) or the diskname:filename (under MFS) into the
Clipboard for subsequent pasting. It is a must for anyone using
their hard disk for a slideshow type script file or for include
file specifications (unless you are normal and put ALL your
include files in the same folder).

A MacWrite document is included that tells how to use the bugger.

This works on MFS or HFS, although for HFS you need the new ROMs
or the HD20 driver present.  It was written in TML Pascal on a
Mac+ with a Micahdrive.

Have fun,

Jon

[

archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-HFS-MFS-PATHNAME.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: 18 Jul 86 20:48:22 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: FolderMaker 1.0

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: FOLDERMAKER 1.0
Date: 18-JUL-1986 00:48 by ASMCOR

This is a free Desk Accessory that creates HFS folders wherever you like.
Please feel free to distribute it.  Compliments of Jan Eugenides, Assembly
Corner.

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-FOLDERMAKER10.HQX

DoD
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu 17 Jul 86 01:39:02-PDT
From: Barrett Eynon <B.BPE@LOTS-C.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Re: Ways to link AppleTalk Networks?

Just got my summer buyer's guide: You should look into InterBridge, from
Hays (the modem people) Allows a phone-line (or direct) bridge between
multiple Atalk nets. Phone: 404-441-1617
Cheers.
-Barry

------------------------------

From: munnari!mulga.OZ!isaac@seismo.CSS.GOV
Subject: Authoring Systems for the Mac
Date: 17 Jul 86 16:31:50 +1000 (Thu)

Can someone point me in the direction of any available authoring
system software
- ie a system which is tailor made for producing teaching-lessons
on a certain topic, and which includes all the interfacing support for
complex branching etc.
I know these things exist - eg on IBM pc xt's and are quite sophisticated,
however, what about macs?
Please reply by mail to:
				Isaac Balbin

UUCP:	{seismo,mcvax,ukc,ubc-vision,hplabs,enea}!munnari!isaac
ARPA:	isaac%munnari.oz@seismo.css.gov
CSNET:	isaac%munnari.oz@australia

End of INFO-MAC Digest