Date: Fri, 25 Jul 86  15:23:05 EDT
From: Shores%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA  (Ken Shores)
Subject: TCP/IP for macintosh?

    We are planning an Ethernet based TCP/IP network to link several of
our mainframe and micro-computers and we would like to include some Macs.
Does anyone know of TCP/IP software and/or Ethernet hardware for the
Macintosh?  If you do, please send me any information that you can, even
just the company name would help.

    Please send any comments to me rather than to this digest; digest
reception is erratic out here on BITNET.

        Ken Shores, systems programmer
        University of Massachusetts

P.S.  I am sending this to a couple of digests, my apologies to anyone who
      sees it more than once.

USMail:    125 Lederle GRC, UMass, Amherst, MA, 01003
BITNet:    Shores@UMass
ARPANet:   Shores%UMass.BITNET@Wiscvm.Wisc.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Sunday 27 July 1986 06.17 CST
From: Samir Kaleem  <XSAK%IECMICC.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject: Bi-Directional Imagewriters...

As I found out, some Imagewriters will start printing bi-directionally
by caps lock-shift-option sequence when clicking on the print button
in the print dialog box. The sequence used again will put it back into
single direction mode. Supposedly, this will make the Imagewriter print
at almost double it's speed. My problem is that when I tried this
sequence, it did indeed work, but the next time I printed again, it went
back to the single direction mode. Anyone know how to make it stay in the
bi-direction mode?

Another little question. Is anyone out there interested in SmallTalk-80
for the Mac? I've got a version of that from Apple, but have been a little
limited in my operations with it so far. Mainly because I'm trying to learn
it myself, and because they recommend a hard drive with almost 3.5 meg
allocated to SmallTalk (it comes on a 6 disk set). Sheesh|||| Can't wait
to get a hard drive (when I can afford it), but I'm interested in
exchanging information with others who are interested in SmallTalk-80

BCNU...Samir Kaleem     (Bitnet:  XSAK@IECMICC.BITNET)
                        (Arpa:    XSAK%IECMICC.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU)

------------------------------

Subject: New ROMs, System, what's included?
Date: Sun, 27 Jul 86 12:10:41 -0800
From: Kathleen Huddleston <gregory@ICSE.UCI.EDU>

I have upgraded my Mac with the new ROMs and new system (3.2). I also
am using a HD20 in addition to the 800K drive. Do I need the HD20
driver in my system folder on the Hard disk, or is this already
bundled in the ROMs or System 3.2?  Also, I have heard that AppleTalk
is in the new System and new ROMs. Therefore, do I need the separate
Apple Talk driver as well? While I'm at it, do I need the software
version of the Chicago font in my System Font file?

If I can remove any of these, it would be nice to do so.
Kathleen Huddleston <gregory@ics.uci.edu>

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jul 86 00:21:20 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: DA Key 2.02

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: DA KEY 2.02
Date: 24-JUL-1986 19:51 by LOFTUSBECKER

[ Updated 23-JUL-1986 21:56 by LOFTUSBECKER to 2.02.  Corrects a bug in the
renumber routine. ]

A replacement for Other .. and DA Key 1.x, this is a much smoother way to run
desk accessories not installed in the system file. Documentation file included,
in MacWrite 4.5 format. Shareware.

[ Note from moderator: This Version is a bugfix to version 2.0]

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>FKEY-DA-KEY202.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jul 86 00:21:47 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Other... 2.01

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: OTHER... 2.01
Date: 25-JUL-1986 21:35 by LOFTUSBECKER

Version 2.0 of Other..., the desk accessory that lets you run desk accessories
from disk files even if they aren't installed in the System. Major changes from
earlier versions, now supports full concurrent operation with the running
program. Documentation in MacWrite 4.5 format. This upload is version 2.01.
- Lofty Becker

[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-OTHER-201.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 26 Jul 86 10:00:22 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #31

Delphi Mac Digest          Saturday, 26 July 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 31

Today's Topics:
     RE: GAMES AND ENTERTAINMENT (Re: Msg 7924)
     RE: LODOWN BACKUP (Re: Msg 10624)
     RE: LODOWN BACKUP (Re: Msg 10708)
     RE: Alter Ego (male) (Re: Msg 10704)
     RE: Alter Ego (male) (Re: Msg 10711)
     RE: Alter Ego (male) (Re: Msg 10744)
     RE: Alter Ego (male) (Re: Msg 10744)
     Finder point size
     RE: Finder point size (Re: Msg 10729)
     RE: LODOWN BACKUP (Re: Msg 10712)
     RE: LODOWN BACKUP (Re: Msg 10731)
     RE: DATABASES (Re: Msg 10734)
     RE: DATABASES (Re: Msg 10690)
     RE: DATABASES (Re: Msg 10738)
     RE: DATABASES (Re: Msg 10775)
     RE: DATABASES (Re: Msg 10785)
     RE: astrology (Re: Msg 10421)
     Modification to Apple License Agreement
     RE: Modification to Apple License Agreem (Re: Msg 10755)
     RE: Modification to Apple License Agreem (Re: Msg 376)
     RE: Modification to Apple License Agreem (Re: Msg 378)
     RE: Modification to Apple License Agreem (Re: Msg 376)
     Cooling fan
     RE: Cooling fan (Re: Msg 10757)
     RE: Cooling fan (Re: Msg 10757)
     HD-20 Missing Space?
     RE: HD-20 Missing Space? (Re: Msg 10760)
     RE:  SCSI conversions (Re: Msg 10736)
     RE:  SCSI conversions (Re: Msg 10790)
     RE:  SCSI conversions (Re: Msg 10817)
     MaxPlus from MacMemory Inc.
     RE: MaxPlus from MacMemory Inc. (Re: Msg 10795)
     Power supplies
     How do I recover lost disk space?
     RE: How do I recover lost disk space? (Re: Msg 10804)
     RE: How do I recover lost disk space? (Re: Msg 10809)
     LaserJet
     Lightspeed C Editor
     RE: Lightspeed C Editor (Re: Msg 365)
     RE: Lightspeed C Editor (Re: Msg 365)
     RE: Lightspeed C Editor (Re: Msg 370)
     RE: Lightspeed C Editor (Re: Msg 374)
     RE: Lightspeed C Editor (Re: Msg 365)
     File menu and DA's
     RE: File menu and DA's (Re: Msg 366)
     RE: saving window coords (Re: Msg 351)
     new hard disk
     Modems with Mac+'s
[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV2-31.ARC

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Jul 86 09:12:59 pdt
From: oster%ucblapis@BERKELEY.EDU (David Phillip Oster)
Subject: Re: Digitizing point coordinates (MacTablet)

This letter discusses using Mac compatible digitizing tablets to get high
resolution data into the Mac.

This is very easy to do with the Kurta tablet.  With the Kurta tablet you can
map a small area of tablet onto the screen, so that the digitizing pen
will cause the mouse to move in sufficiently large increments to give you
the resolution you want.  When you want to digitize another area of the tablet,
you use a desk accessory to load a new configuration file, and the tablet is
automatically remapped.

Since you are stuck with what you have, and since you are not afraid to
program, you might try the following:
I assume the MacTablet connects to the Mac using a serial port.
Do not use the MacTablet software.
Listen to the tablet using terminal software (Versaterm, naacterm ...)
(try 9600 buad as an initial guess at the baud rate.)
The tablet probably sends a 5 byte data packet of the following form:

b7 b6 b5 b4 b3 b2 b1 b0	- bits of a byte

P  1  0  0  0  S  0  0	- P is parity.  S is on if switch is down
P  0  x5 x4 x3 x2 x1 x0 - low 6 bits of x data
P  0  x11x10x9 x8 x7 x6 - high 6 bits of x data
P  0  y5 y4 y3 y2 y1 y0 - low 6 bits y data
P  0  y11y10y9 y8 y7 y6 - high 6 bits y data

b6 is 1 only at the start of a 5 byte data packet.

This data is drawn from a Summagraphics data sheet for their Bit Pad 1
digitizer.

Unlike the Mac, point (0,0) is probably at the LOWER-left corner.

If you get data that is consistant with this, then you need only write a
basic program to read data the serial port.  Tablets generate so much data
that you're program had better check the fullness of the serial buffer and
throw away 5 byte data packets periodically to keep the buffer from
overflowing.  Alternatively, you could write in a langugae, like C or
compiled Pascal, that was fast enough to keep up with the data rate.

Low-resolution Kurta tablets and
other-than-MacTablet Summagraphic tablets use this data format when they
are not transmitting data is strings of ASCII, base-10 integers.

Kurta's PenMouse, a cordless digitizer considerably cheaper than
MacTablet, sends 2400 baud, their other models generally run at 4800 baud.
Kurta also makes a MacXL compatible version.

Disclaimer: My opinions are solely my own, but, in evaluating them, you
should know that I am currently re-writing Kurta's software.

--- David Phillip Oster		-- "The goal of Computer Science is to
Arpa: oster@lapis.berkeley.edu  -- build something that will last at
Uucp: ucbvax!ucblapis!oster     -- least until we've finished building it."

------------------------------

Date: 25 Jul 86 08:30 EST
From: CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
Subject: Help with Font Changer Improvments

First off, I would like to thank all of you who assisted me
by reporting bugs that you found in Font Changer.  It's
pretty much common knowlage now that the scroll bars are messed
up, but I'm going to fix that.  (For now, restrict your changes
to the uppermost fonts, those you don't need to scroll to.)

I have a new program in the works, called Ruler Changer, that
will allow global changes on ruler formats. (We have lots of
people here that write theses and then realize afterwards that
they need wider margins)  It should be finished and posted
in 2-3 weeks.  (The basic program is pretty much finished,
but the ruler animation and interface is still a little flakey.)

My next task after that is to combine the two into one grand
monolithic document mangler that will allow global font/ruler
changes, plus whatever else I can think of.  SO.

I am going to add the following:
1) A count of the number of paragraphs changed.
2) A place for you to type font numbers in yourself, for
   changing documents that are in a font you don't have.
3) A way of checking what font numbers are in the document
   itself, helpful for using the above option.
4) Word compatability if I can get the format.
5) Will only have to select the document once, and will be
   able to switch which document to change without exiting
   the program.
6) Ruler Changer additions:
   Global search/change of ruler:
     a) Margins
     b) indents
     c) tabs
     d) spacing
     e) formatting
7) And an oldie, but a goodie, fix the scroll bars.

Anyone out there have any suggestions as to what else would
be nice to see?  As the world's shortest MacWrite user, I
find it hard to think of problems w/ huge documents.  Anything
would be helpful, and as before, I'm still looking for a
Microsoft Word format that will let me add that feature
to the program.  Character type conversions are probably out,
such as upper/lower case conversions and style changes to
certain words, but anything else you can think of would
be a major help, I'm always open to suggestions.

                                   - Tom Dowdy
"I'm increasingly convinced that a vast majority of wrong thinking
 people are right."

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 26 Jul 86 17:14 EDT
From: BRUCE%williams.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
Subject: Large-screen projection systems

   Does anyone have any experience (good or bad) with flat large-screen
projection systems for the Mac.  We have seen several demos of displays
and have been quite disappointed with the quality of the image.  (We will
have a class of 60 reading displays constantly during a one hour class).
The biggest problem seems to be contrast between text and background.
Our ideal system should be able to display images from Macs, IBM PC's,
VCR's and Video Disks (in color for these last devices).  The price should
be in the range between $10K and $25K.
     Kim Bruce
     Department of Mathematical Sciences
     Williams College