Date: Thu, 31 Jul 86 00:43 EDT
From: Paul Christensen <PCHRISTENSEN%rca.com@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: patch for MacDraw 1.9 Font menu

Several days ago, I posted a message explaining some of the bugs in
MacDraw 1.9.  At the time, I mentioned a patch I'd been using
successfully for about 3 months that allows MacDraw's Font menu to scroll.

This patch will modify MacDraw *** VERSION 1.9 ONLY ***,  disabling its
limitation of 11 fonts in the font menu.  This will allow you to use
many more fonts, provided you have a scrolling menu installed on your
system.  How can you tell if you have a scrolling menu?

If you have a MacPlus, don't worry ... scrolling menus are part of the
128K ROM.  If you're using a Mac with the old 64K ROM, Apple has
included the MacPlus' scrolling menus in the newest system software.
If you use system 3.2 then your menus will scroll. Otherwise, use
ResEdit to copy the MDEF from system 3.2 to the system file you
are using.  I have installed the system 3.2 MDEF into system version
2.0 with no problem.  I do NOT recommend using system software
prior to Finder 4.1 and System 2.0 (released with Finder 4.1).

Be sure to perform this modification on a COPY of your MacDraw 1.9.
NEVER USE AN ORIGINAL COPY FOR THIS TYPE OF WORK!!!  You will have
to use a file-editing program such as John Mitchell's excellent
shareware program FEdit, or commercial programs such as MacZap
or MacTools.  Simply open up the FILE MacDraw (don't open the
whole disk) and search for the original data.  Be careful to
change only this data to the modifcations listed, double-checking
your typing.  Then write the sector back out to disk.  You will
have to repeat this process for every line (a total of 22 times).
For this reason, I like automating the process with MacZap Patcher,
included as part of MicroAnalyst's MacZap package.  MacZap Patcher
allows you to write your own files that will search for data and
change it many different times.  This also helps prevent human
error.  Whatever method you use, good luck in your hacking.

NOTE:  I make no guarantees as to the stability of this patch.
       However, I can assure you that I've been using it for
       more than 3 months now with no ill effects.

The following patch originated from Jonathan Hardis at Washington
Apple Pi.  If MacDraw does not work properly after you make ALL of
these changes, then try the patch again on a fresh copy of MacDraw.
Be sure you are using MacDraw VERSION 1.9 and double-check your
modifications before writing to disk.  I have proofread these
patches and can assure you there are no typographical errors on
my part.

CHANGE MacDraw 1.9:

Search for...        Change to ...
--------------       --------------
41ED FAD6 .......... 41ED F360         9 times

0000 0C60 .......... 0000 0CA0         once

0014 6F02 7C14 ..... 001F 6F02 7C1F    once

000B FACE .......... 0016 FACE         twice

70E1 ............... 709B              3 times

0001 00E1 .......... 0001 009B         3 times

10E1 ............... 109B              once

0C47 0015 .......... 0C47 0020         once

4E56 FFBE .......... 4E56 FF9E         once

END.

					- Paul Christensen

				CSNET:  PCHRISTENSEN%HENRY@RCA.COM

------------------------------

Date: 30 Jul 86 10:12:00 EDT
From: "GREGORY, DIK" <gregory@ari-hq1.ARPA>
Subject: Beware the removal of duplicated resources...

Paul Christensen reports that:

>Darin Adler, author of the "NoQuiche" INIT
>resource suggests that the following resources may safely be removed from
>the system file without ill effect:

>	DRVR 2  '.Print'	(in ROM)
>	DRVR 9  '.MPP'		(Apple Talk, in ROM)
>	DRVR 10 '.ATP'		(Apple Talk, in ROM)
>	FONT 0,12		(Chicago Font, in ROM)
>	MDEF 0			(standard scrolling MDEF, in ROM)
>	PACK 4,5		(SANE floating point packages, in ROM)
>	PACK 7			(binary-decimal package, in ROM)
>	PTCH 105		(patch for old 64K ROM)
>	PTCH 28297		(patch for MacWorks)
>	WDEF 0			(standard WDEF, in ROM)

But do beware...I have not tried removing all of these, but I did have to
replace PACK 7 when I realised it was causing DA/Font Mover v3.2 to crash
the System (3.2) on exit to the Finder (5.3)...and I did have to replace
DRVR 2 when I realised that MS WORD would no longer print anything...any
other unpleasant effects anyone?

Dik Gregory GREGORY@ARI-HQ1

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 86 08:58 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: TOPS from Centram

I have played a bit with TOPS.  I have a friend who is a beta tester for them
and we toyed around with it.  I only saw the Mac portion but he tells me that
it works with his PC too.  At any rate, you use a DA to publish your disks for
use by others.  Then they can mount these disks from a list on the DA.  Then
it acts just like a regular disk.  Pretty nifty.  I would recommend it although
they have a sneaky scheme where each node has a serial number and they all
compare to see if it is duplicated anywhere on the net and they all quit if it
is.  However, rumors assure me that this can be beaten although it would be
wrong...

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Wed 30 Jul 86 11:48:39-PDT
From: Irvin Lustig <OR.LUSTIG@Sierra.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: 128K ROMS and Serial Drivers

Since questions about resources in 128K ROMS are in vogue, I have
one for people to ponder:
Remember the "ROM Serial Driver"?  This was the default serial driver
in the 64K ROMS, and if you wanted input and output flow control, and
other neat features, you had to open the "RAM Serial Driver" (SERD 0)
specifically, and then all calls to the serial driver would be just
as if you didn't open SERD 0.
Now that we have 128K ROMS and SERD 0 is in the ROM, the questions are:
1) Is the old "ROM Serial Driver" still in ROM?
2) If you don't explicitly open SERD 0, will you get all the features
   of SERD 0, or will things behave as on the 64K ROMS?
3) If you do explicity open SERD 0, and SERD 0 is in an open resource
   file (e.g., the System file, or the application), will the driver
   be read into RAM, or are the new ROMS smart enough to note that
   the SERD 0 resource is in ROM, and not read it into RAM?

By the way, I have an application that used to use the old ROM Serial
Driver (I never got around to using SERD 0), and on a MacPlus, it
seems to do flow control both ways.  This would indicate that if
you know you're running on the 128K ROMS, there is no need to
explicitly open SERD 0.  I'd like confirmation of this from anybody
else with similar/dissimilar experiences.

-Irv Lustig
OR.LUSTIG@SIERRA.STANFORD.EDU   <----- New Domain addressing
OR.LUSTIG@SU-SIERRA.ARPA        <----- Arpanet addressing

[ note from the moderator...Inside Mac Volume IV says the new Serial driver
  in ROM replaces the previous RAM and ROM serial drivers.

  I quote " For best results, include the Ram serial Drivers as resources
  of type 'SERD' in the resource fork of your application and continue
  to use RAMSDOpen and RAMSDClose. If the 128K ROM is present the new
  driver is automatically used."

  You should put the ram serial drivers into the resource fork so that
  users of the 64K ROM will have the application work as you expect.
	DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 86 08:33:20 EDT
From: olson@harvard.HARVARD.EDU (Eric Olson)
Subject: Re: Disk Space

Jon's problem:
"What I am using are the ioFlPyLen and
ioFlRPyLen fields returned in a CInfoPBRec returned from the PBGetCatInfo call.
This gives me the physical size of the data and resource forks, which should
be the complete size of the file."

He's trying to understand where the extra space went.  Under HFS, there
are two files that are not in the directory, because they ARE the directory.
One is called the extents Tree file, the other the Catalog Tree File.  I
can't remember how big they are (either 300K or 600K each), but they are
fixed-length, fixed-position.  So that's where some of the space went.

-Eric

------------------------------

Date: Friday 01 August 1986 12.45 CST
From: Samir Kaleem  <XSAK%IECMICC.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject: MacPaint problems with Finder 5.3 and System 3.2

I have been having problems with CUT/COPY/PASTE using Finder 5.3 and
System 3.2. Sometimes I get an error message saying "MacPaint is having
trouble writing to the Scrap", and other times it seems to copy whatever
was selected, but when I try to put it in the Scrapbook, I get a message
that says "Disk is Full or Out of Memory". Any ideas anybody? I've got a
Mac+ w/second drive, and I've set up a disk with a font loaded system that
leaves about 70k in a 800k drive (just system stuff on it like Finder etc.),
and a 600k ram disk with Paint, MacWrite, and Word which leaves about 65k
free in the ram disk. This let's me use the second drive for the data disk.

I'd appreciate any help. Thanx in advance.

Samir (Cyborg)      Bitnet: XSAK@IECMICC.BITNET
                    Arpa  : XSAK%IECMICC.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 86 17:40:47 pdt
From: Bernard Aboba <bernard@ararat>
Subject: AppleTalk Connection Question

I've got a long RS232 shielded cable that I rigged up from one Mac to a
LaserWriter.  It works fine.  Now I'd like to connect this cable to
a PhoneNet AppleTalk implementation.  Can I just connect the appropriate
wires into, say a modular phone jack and go from there?  How should it
be properly terminated?  And does anyone have the wiring arrangements for
this?

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 31 Jul 86 11:13:34 cdt
From: brian@SALLY.UTEXAS.EDU (Brian H. Powell)
Subject: New SUMacC Rmaker

     This is a new SUMacC Resource Compiler.  I originally sent it in last
December, while INFO-MAC was off the air.  With the recent discussion about
the SUMacC RMaker in the AppleTalk newsgroup (compiling the EFS stuff), I
thought I should resubmit this new version.
     It's been a while since we worked on this.  Most of the modification to
the program was done by Guido van Rossum, Doug Moen and myself.  Essentially,
RMaker is now more powerful and more compatible with the Lisa/Mac RMaker format.
A complete list of changes is included.

Brian H. Powell
		UUCP:	{ihnp4,seismo,ctvax}!ut-sally!brian
		ARPA:	brian@sally.UTEXAS.EDU

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>SUMACC-RMAKER-V2.SHAR

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 25 Jul 86 7:29:30 EDT
From: "Robert E. Yellen" (IMD-TSD) <ryellen@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: Overlay Graphics Program

Here's a great little graphics program written by Carl Spitzer.
It allows overlaying of MacPaint documents and saving of same.
Makes for some interesting MacPaint pictures.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-MACPAINT-OVERLAY.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 31 Jul 86 11:32:20 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #60

Usenet Mac Digest          Thursday, 31 July 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 60

Today's Topics:
     Help wanted: digitizing point coordinates (w/ MacTablet)
     Re: The new mac (price?)
     DA/FontMover limitation: Is there a patch?
     Re: _Debugger trap failure
     About Apple's Sample SCSI driver
     SCSI and daisy chaining
     survey of 800k drives
     Re: _Debugger trap failure
     Re: Mac Cache
     problem in compiling EFS+
     Business Software for the MacPlus
     mac+ and voltage
     Borland buys Interlace
     Re: Mac serial port
     Deje Vu!
     New ROM compatible with home upgrades? specifically Dr. Dobbs?
     Re: Dead Keys
     information on mail order diskettes wanted
     how to change default fonts??
     Re: Mac Cache
     MAC Hard Disks
     Re: information on mail order diskettes wanted
     Symbolic debuggers
     Re: Mac Cache
     Re: RedRyder 9.2 Term Emulation Problem
     Re: Making Folders Invisible on HFS
     Problems editing non-Apple fonts with ResEd 1.0D12
     Question on LaserWriter Resources
[
 archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-60.ARC

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 31 Jul 86 23:40:02 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #32

Delphi Mac Digest          Friday, 1 August 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 32

Today's Topics:
     RE: Stock programs
     RE: Interrupt switch (new roms) and Apple Modem?
     RE: Cooling fan (Re: Msg 10757)
     RE: new hard disk (Re: Msg 10820)
     RE: Manx's Mac 1.06H.1 C and assembler bugs
     RE: Interrupt switch (new roms) and Apple Modem?
     RE: Modems with Mac+'s (Re: Msg 10857)
     RE: Modems with Mac+'s (Re: Msg 10864)
     section 18 of IM Vol. 4
     RE: Lightspeed C Editor (Re: Msg 385)
     RE: Lightspeed C Editor (Re: Msg 401)
     RE: File menu and DA's (Re: Msg 383)
     RE: File menu and DA's (Re: Msg 402)
     RE: INFO-MAC Digest V4 #91 (Re: Msg 10927)
     RE: Idle DA Bombs & QUED
     Masstech
     RE: Masstech (Re: Msg 10934)
     RE: MaxPlus from MacMemory Inc. (Re: Msg 10910)
     RE: Strange System/Finder Behavior: Folder Sizes
     Menu Manager bug?
     RE: Menu Manager bug? (Re: Msg 415)
     RE: Menu Manager bug? (Re: Msg 417)
     RE: Menu Manager bug? (Re: Msg 420)
     RE: Menu Manager bug? (Re: Msg 420)
     RE: Menu Manager bug? (Re: Msg 436)
     RE: SCSD hd recommendations
     Internal Drive Chokes and Dies
     RE: Internal Drive Chokes and Dies (Re: Msg 10971)
     RE: Internal Drive Chokes and Dies (Re: Msg 10972)
     3780 BiSync Protocol
     RE: TOPS by Centram Systems West
     RE: RE: System 3.2 Bugs
     voice recognition
     RE: _Debugger trap failure
     RE: RE: System 3.2 Bugs
     RE: MacroMind
     DataFrame Price Cut
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #60 (Re: Msg 11008)
     800K Drives
     RE: INFO-MAC Digest V4 #93 (Re: Msg 10973)
     PostScript and the new fonts in the Lase
     zoom box zooming
     Printer reset crash
[
archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV2-32.ARC

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 31 Jul 86 23:17:50 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: MacEqn Review

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: MACEQN REVIEW
Date: 28-JUL-1986 04:32 by SOUTH_COAST

Review of MacEqn equation processor.  Reprinted from Aug 86 Mouse Times,
South Coast Macintosh Users Group.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MACEQN-REVIEW.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 30 Jul 86 19:11:13-EDT
From: SR16@TD.CC.CMU.EDU
Subject: Re: Projecting a Mac Image

I work for Audio-Visual Services here at Carnegie-Mellon University,
where we have had much success using the Hughes Light Valve Data
Projector to project Mac screens. This is an extremely bright data
projector, which gives a crisp image, legible even in a lit lecture hall
or classroom.  I understand the price was recently reduced from the
orignal $40K down to $27K.
Feel free to send me mail if you
want more info on our experiences with it.
Seth Rothenberg
SR16@CMCCTD.BITNET
SR16@TD.CC.CMU.EDU

------------------------------

Subject: Micro stock software summary (133 lines *long*)
Date: Fri, 01 Aug 86 16:11:48 -0800
From: Scott Menter <escott@BONNIE.UCI.EDU>

Thanks much to everybody who replied to my request for microcomputer
software for stock market analysis.  I'm excerpting here the replies;
they were very helpful, and I'm very grateful. (Sorry for the length,
but I didn't want to have to make any judgements about what parts of
these letters would interest everyone, and what parts not).

  E. Scott Menter                           Internet:   escott@ics.uci.edu
  UCI Systems Support Group                 UUCP: ...!ucbvax!ucivax!escott

  "...Say, Foz, about my vocals..."

- Forwarded Messages

Subject: Re: Stock Program for Micros
From: SAC.HQSAC-ACMI@e.isi.edu

In 'Better Investing', a publication of the National Association of
Investors Corporation (NAIC), there is an ad for a program called
EvalForm 3.0.  The Investment Club  I belong to uses version 2.0
with a CP/M based machine.  Although the program is designed to
support NAIC methods to evaluate a stock it is an excellent tool
for the investor.  Data is gathered from either Standards and Poor's,
Value Line or both and entered into the program.  The printout provides
buy/sell/hold price ranges, best price to buy, upside/downside, and
several other valuable stats.  The report is about two pages long with
very little wasted space.

For more info write to :

	INVESTOR'S SOFTWARE
	BOX N
	BRADENTON BEACH, FL 33510
	(704) 743-2109
	(813) 778-5515

and identify your computer.

For info on the NAIC or how to start your own investment club write to:

	NAIC
	1515 E. ELEVEN MILE ROAD
	ROYAL OAK, MICHIGAN 48067

DISCLAIMER:  I am a member of NAIC but receive no compensation
benefit, nor anything else for mentioning them or if someone
joins.   I have no connection with INVESTOR'S SOFTWARE and
do not profit by mentioning them either.

Marc Frederick
HQ SAC/ACCA, OFFUTT AFB NE 68113

- Message 2

To: escott@BONNIE.UCI.EDU
From: jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

Without a doubt, the micro with the most stock market forecasting software is
the IBM PC/XT/AT and clones.  I don't have specific recommendations on
forecasting packages, but there is so much of it that finding it shouldn't be
a problem.

The Atari ST will, it is rumored, be able to run most IBM software with an
adaptor to be announced soon (or is it already announced?).  However, your
friend should probably just go buy an AT clone such as the Zenith Data Systems
Z248, or the IBM PC/AT itself, or comparable units from AT&T, NEC, ITT, WANG,
Leading Edge and many others.  The only reasons for using the Atari ST for
this purpose would be to save a lot of money and to have a 68000 processor to
play with.  From the way you posed the question, neither goal seems especially
applicable.  Buying a straight AT clone would undoubtedly minimize the
unforeseen complications in using standard software.

For a color monitor, I would suggest the NEC JC-1401P3A "Multisync" monitor,
which has very high resolution and is one of the few that you can use for word
processing without feeling bleary-eyed.  (The monochrome text display is the
sharpest I have seen on a color monitor.)  Princeton Graphics is also said to
have a very good monitor.  The Atari monitor might also be a good choice at a
lot lower price.  Any of these would justify one of the hi-res graphics cards
that are available for the AT clones.

- -John Sangster
jhs@mitre-bedford.arpa

- Message 3

From: chabris_c%h-sc4@harvard.harvard.edu

I can't discuss it since I haven't actually used it, but I hear good things
about the ISGUR Portfolio System from Batteries Included, for the Atari ST
and MS-DOS.  It uses the GEM interface and includes an excellent communications
program, IS-Talk.  Hope this helps.

- -- Christopher F. Chabris
   15 Sterling Road
   Armonk, NY   10504

   CompuServe: 73277,305
         UUCP: ...!harvard!h-sc4!chabris
         ARPA: chabris%h-sc4@harvard.ARPA
       BITNET: chabris@HARVUNXU.BITNET
         AT&T: (914) 273-8828

- Message 4

To: Scott Menter <escott@BONNIE.UCI.EDU>
From: "Marshall D. Abrams" <abrams@mitre.arpa>

I have a stock charting program for Atari. I haven't used it because
I'm not into the market, but someone I know is and he seemed to like
the program.

- - Marshall D. Abrams, phone: (703) 883-6938
   The MITRE Corporation, 1820 Dolley Madison Blvd.
   Mail Stop W458, Mc Lean, VA   22102

- End of Forwarded Messages

End of INFO-MAC Digest