From: DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Subject: software supplement Vol 1 Issue #3

A number of people have asked how I got Volume IV of Inside Mac
so I thought it would be reasonable to post a reasonable response.
Inside Mac Volume IV 'Final Draft' arrived with the most recent
software supplement from Apple. The supplement was called the
March supplement by most but Apple has redone the numbering and
now it is called  Software Supplement  Vol I  Issue #3.  This may be
ordered from Apple for $25 (plus tax if you live in CA)
   The address I have is:       Apple Computer Mailing Facility
                                467 Saratoga Ave, Suite 621
                                San Jose, CA.  95129
   The phone number is   408-988-6009 but this is only for questions
since you can't order by phone.

The documentation contained in this supplement is:

Tech Note #2, Mac compatibility guidelines
Tech Note #7, A few quick debugging tips
Equate and Glue files for the Lisa Workshop and MDS  (and the files themselves)
Testing for Machine Configuration
Determining which File system is Available
PPostEvent, NGetTrapAddress and NSetTrapAddress
Menu Capture Patch   (and the installer script that contains the patch)
Jumpstart Documentation (and the associated software)
MacsBug Documentation  ( and the most recent version of MacsBug)
MacsBug Quick Reference Page
ResEdit Resource Editor Documentation
Trap Timer DA documentation
Object Oriented Languages for the Mac-Status Report
MacPlus SCSI Developer Info
Inside Switcher
Inside Mac, Volume IV--Final Draft

The software includes a System Installation disk (for system 3.2,etc)
Printer installation disk (for Laserwriter,chooser,namer,etc)
MacStuff 1  ( equate files, etc for MDS, MacsBug, MenuCapture installer
script, JumpStart, Trap Timer, SERD and ATalk/ABPackage Resources)
MacStuff 2  ( Redit,ResEdit,Localizer,example code for SFGetFile
SFPutFile, the list manager, and sample SCSI driver, Switcher 5.0B1)
3 Lisa Workshop disks
  containing equate files, object files, interface files

A couple of comments: The MenuCapture resource is meant to patch
the problem that if you have the new ROMS you cannot do screen dumps
with menus down. This resource is not yet bug free and according to
the documentation 'THIS PATCH HAS BEEN KNOWN TO TRASH SOME HARD DISKS'.
They also say do not ship this with your product.

Jumpstart is a way of 'supercharging resources' so that loading is
done faster. Basically it is a one time sorting of the resources
in an application so that the resource manager does not have to
load them in the usual awkward fashion but rather can load them
in one shot.

Trap Timer is a way to keep track of how much time an application
spends in each ROM trap.

I think that is it...I hope this satisfies most people who are interested
in the supplement.
David Gelphman

------------------------------

Date: Sat 2 Aug 86 08:53:29-PDT
From: Bill Berner <BERNER@Sushi.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: More on TOPS

We also got a copy of TOPS at work (one for the IBM and one for the Mac).

I think that there are some compatability problems (I haven't been able to
get it to work with a PCMacBridge card installed in the PC), but it does
some great things.

For example, I was able to "Publish" a subdirectory on the PCXTs hard disk
on the network, and connect to it using the Mac.  Then I copied Macrite
onto the PCs hard disk and launched from the XT across AppleTalk.  As a
streak of masochism came over me I decided to copy the system folder onto
the XTs hard disk and launch that system from the Mac, making it a diskless
workstation running off the PCs hard disk across AppleTalk.  Finally, I
was able to launch a MacServe volume from a remote shared disk and copy
files from the remote Macintosh hard disk to the remote PC hard disk.

After the initial fun and games, I tried to do some really useful work.
Namely, I was able to create files in Excel and save them in WKS format
directly onto the PCs hard disk.  I could then open them with Lotus but not
until after rebooting because there wasn't enought memory to launch Lotus
after all I'd done (I should also mention that there were a few other things
running on the PC that might have been eating some RAM).  I was also able to
save Lotus files directly on the Mac hard disk and then open them in Excel
with no problems.

All in all, I'd say that TOPS appears to be a pretty whizzy product, but
I haven't been able to use it long enough to tell how reliable it is.

Bill Berner

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 2 Aug 86 16:17:55 edt
From: Roy Leban <roy%farg.umich.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: Removing System Resources

There were some recent comments/questions about removing from the Mac+ system
those resources which are duplicated in the ROM.  As noted, Apple recommends
that you do not do this.  At least one Apple program, Switcher, will not work
properly if you do this, because it requires that MDEF 0 be in RAM (remember
that it adds "Switcher" to the bottom of the Apple menu).  Some of the things
are truly useless if you have a Plus, but is it really worth the extra disk
space to have the possibility of problems?  Here's a summary of the duplicated
resources that can't be removed (as far as anyone knows so far, that is):
	MDEF 0		Scrolling Menu Def	Switcher
	PACK 7		BCD Package		Font/DA Mover
	DRVR 2		'.Print' Driver		Microsoft Word
It's also possible that there are programs which will not work properly if
you remove the following resources:
	FONT 0,12	Chicago Font		(at least one PD program)
I also hereby suggest that anyone posting any additions post a new complete
list so that new folks don't have to search around.
  -Roy.

     "If I understood this quote, I'd understand why it was here."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 4 Aug 86 08:55:07 mdt
From: Bill Roberts <bill%ncar.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: Using MacWrite, MacPaint, MSChart with TML Pascal...

I'd like to be able create data files using MacPaint, MacWrite and MSChart and
use these data files inside of an application.  For instance, I'd like to create
a graphic in MacPaint and use it in a TML Pascal application window.  Similarly,
I'd like to create a plot (using MSChart) and display that chart in an
application window. Now I know how to do these things using the scrap and/or
clipboard, but I'd like to store the data files on disk and call them with the
application directly, at runtime.  Any ideas on this?  Has anyone in netland
tried (and succeeded)? Any references would be very helpful.  Just send me
email.  If I get a good response I'll post it to the net.

							Thanks in advance,

							--Bill

							UUCP: !hao!bill

   "...most people spend their lives avoiding stress kid.
					  The Repo man seeks it out!"

------------------------------

Date: Tuesday, 5 August 1986 00:33:52 EDT
From: Thomas.Newton@spice.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Mac SCSI (forwarded mail)

I was asked to forward the following . . .

I am building a file-server adaptor for the MacPlus, and I therefore
need the specs on Apple's SCSI implementation. Does anyone know where
I can get info on this port?  (Apple is using a DB-19 connector, while the
standard uses a 50-pin connector. )
	For starters, I'd like to know what memory location is mapped to the
SCSI  controller.  Ultimately, I would like to learn how the Mac checks
the port for a hard drive at startup.

Thanks much
Seth Rothenberg
SR16@andrew.cmu.edu

[ note from moderator
    I would highly recommend buying the software supplement mentioned above
since that is probably the most information about the Mac implementation
of SCSI available to the general public.   DAVEG  ] 3-Aug-86 21:40:29-PDT,1101;000000000001

------------------------------

Date: Sun,  3 Aug 86 21:41:49 PDT
From: <CER2520@RITVAXC.BITNET>
Subject: Imagewriter 2.3 features - Rolodex & Mailing labels

Date: 2 AUG 86 13:29-EST
From: CER2520@RITVAXC
To: INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM

Hello,

Upon receiving the new system files, I noticed there were additional
features in ImageWriter file v. 2.3 that were not apparent in earlier
releases.  These are capability to print on Rolodex and mailing labels.
Since the new system releases does not come with documentation, how
do I take advantage of the Rolodex and mailing label features?  Should
I create a text file of certain number of lines then select the feature
you wanted?  Any assistance that you have will be appreciated.

Curtis

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 30 Jul 86 16:32:15 PDT
From: <DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET>
Subject: a beep init and sound file

Here is a beep init and sound file which is fun. When installed
(docs included in this PACKIT file) the standard beep on the mac
is converted to the small bit of music contained in the sound
file (also in this packit file). Hope you enjoy this.
David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538
usual disclaimer #432 applies: my employer apologies for the fact
that I have access to this net.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-BEEPINIT.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 4 Aug 86 07:12:21 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #33

Delphi Mac Digest          Monday, 4 August 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 33

Today's Topics:
     RE: Mac Cache
     RE: Desk Accessories with ID's over 26
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #60 (Re: Msg 11037)
     RE: how does one change the opening default font
     ZBasic anyone?
     RE: ZBasic...? (Re: Msg 444)
     Switcher & My Favorite Development Envir
     Lightspeed C - "Out of Memory" Error Mes
     RE: Lightspeed C - "Out of Memory" Error (Re: Msg 448)
     Re: Lightspeed C - "out of memory" error
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #60 (Re: Msg 11008)
     Anaheim Show
     RE: new hard disk (Re: Msg 10888)
     RE: new hard disk (Re: Msg 11070)
     Re: Disk Space
     Double Apple bug
     RE: Double Apple bug (Re: Msg 11074)
     VAXintosh
     RE: VAXintosh (Re: Msg 11079)
     RE: VAXintosh (Re: Msg 11087)
     RE: VAXintosh (Re: Msg 11089)
     RE: File menu and DA's (Re: Msg 445)
     Appletalk IW II
     The twilight zone finder
     RE: The twilight zone finder (Re: Msg 11110)
     LW toner
     RE: LW toner
     RE: LW toner
     RE: LW toner
     hardware woes
     RE: hardware woes (Re: Msg 11127)
     RE: hardware woes (Re: Msg 11136)
     RE: Mac C for MPW? (Re: Msg 291)
     RE: PostScript and the new fonts in the (Re: Msg 11123)
     RR 9.4 bug?
[
  archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV2-33.ARC

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 17 Jul 86 01:03:18 EDT
From: gingold%h-sc4@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
Subject: nroff'ed download.nroff file

The file DOWNLOAD-PRINTREADY.DOC.1 was not already nroff'ed as claimed. I
have done so and here is the nroff'ed version of the download.nroff
file.

[ the old file has been replaced and this version has been archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DOWNLOAD-PRINTREADY.DOC

daveg
]

------------------------------

Date: Sun 3 Aug 86 19:02:59-PDT
From: Marvin Zauderer <ZAUDERER@Sushi.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Legal care for your software

I'm thinking about selling some software I'm developing, but I've
realized that I know nothing about the entire marketing process. I'm
particularly interested in the legal aspects of the whole business; if
I let someone else sell the program, I'd like to avoid being a sitting
duck for that person's selfish interests. Can you recommend a good book
on this subject, or offer helpful hints of your own? I'll summarize if
the response warrants it.

Thanks,
Marvin

End of INFO-MAC Digest