From: adobe!foley@decwrl.DEC.COM (Matt Foley)
Date: 5 Aug 1986 1744-PDT (Tuesday)
Subject: PostScript program development in AppleTalk environment

You can build a fairly nice PostScript programming environment, using
a Mac, AppleTalk and a shared PostScript printer (like the LaserWriter),
at very low cost with the following three components.

"Send PS" is an application which dumps a Mac text file to the printer,
assuming it is raw PostScript.  It can also print source code listings, and
it keeps a log file of any messages sent back from the printer.
SendPS is copyright Adobe Systems, but it can be copied and distributed
INTACT AND FOR FREE ONLY.  It is not supported by Adobe, but it is very
easy to use.

"MockWrite" is a very nice text editor.  It is a Desk Accessory, and
can be run concurrently with SendPS.  Since SendPS has no active
window, and MockWrite has only a single menu bar entry, they don't
interfere with each other at all.  MockWrite is part of MockPackage.
This is shareware, and a $35 license fee should be paid to
	CE Software
	801 - 73rd St.
	DeMoines, IA  50312

The third component of your system is the text file "ehandler.ps"  This
is an error handler for your PostScript printer.  Use SendPS to send
it to the printer, and it will remain active as long as the printer is
left turned on. Then when an error occurs, you will get a dump of the
operand stack onto the current page, and the page will be ejected.
This lets you see how far the page got before it bombed, and the
op stack dump is extremely helpful in debugging your code.

How can you acquire these eminently useful tools?  They follow the
obligatory signature and trademark notice at the end of this message!
The "SendPS" application and "ehandler.ps" text come first.  The
MockPackage (which your moderator may have archived already) will be
third.  SendPS and MockPackage will be in Macintosh BinHex4.0 format.
Ehandler.ps is clear text.  To separate them, search for the words
"cut here" (without quote marks).

Best regards, and happily PostScripting may you be...
--Matt Foley, Cust. Supt. Eng.
ADOBE SYSTEMS INCORPORATED
{decwrl,glacier}!adobe!foley
"adobe!foley"@glacier.stanford.edu

Trademark notice:  PostScript is a registered trademark of Adobe
Systems Incorporated. MockWrite is a trademark of CE Software.
Macintosh, AppleTalk, and LaserWriter are trademarks of Apple Computer,
Inc.

Disclaimer:  I personally, and Adobe corporately, are unrelated to
CE Software in any way.

[  The software mentioned in this message is archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-SENDPS.HQX

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-PS-ERRORHANDLER.TXT

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-MOCKPACKAGE-43.HQX

DAVEG
] 6-Aug-86 03:19:56-PDT,894;000000000001

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 5 Aug 86 15:07 EDT
From: BOB%BCVAX3.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA  (So little to do, and so much
Subject: The default system disk...

Hello,

Is there a way to, on a Mac+, to set a particular 800K disk as the system
Disk in such a way that if you double-click on an application that does NOT
reside on that disk, but has a system/finder on it's disk, the System is
NOT reset to the second disk.  I believe that if the Startup Disk is an
HD20 it does NOT reset the startup disk.  Can I do this to an 800K floppy?

Thanks,
Rocko
Boston College
"Your cute phrase here"

------------------------------

Date: 5 Aug 86 22:20:22 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Calendar Font

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: CALENDAR FONT
Date: 3-AUG-1986 13:41 by FIBONACCI

A MacWrite document containing the Calendar font, sizes 12, 18, 24, and 36 (
hidden in the resource fork).   This font can be used to easily create any
calendar.  The document tells how to install the font and use it. Hope you find
it useful. - Glenn Goodrich / Fibonacci Studios

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>FONT-CALENDAR.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 5 Aug 86 19:17:38 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #61

Usenet Mac Digest          Tuesday, 5 August 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 61

Today's Topics:
     Need Excel macro
     Re: Running in place
     Defining a region
     MacServe and Omnidrive
     MacADIOS users:- are you out there?
     Re: Business Software for the MacPlus
     Re: About Apple's Sample SCSI driver
     Re: Making Folders Invisible on HFS
     Re: Defining a region
     Bus'd Out (can't *anyone* help???)
     Re: Symbolic debuggers
     Windows over menu bar?
     MacCrash (ROM versions)
     Snodgrass and Vanderwart Images
     Aztec C (Unix enviroment) and Mac Toolbox
     scrapbook
     Travelling with a Mac, IWriterII's in Europe
     Re: information on mail order diskettes
     MIDI for Mac XL?
     Need MS Word Font Subst Utility
     Re: Aztec C (Unix enviroment) and Mac Toolbox
     Microsoft fortran
     Let's compare and contrast Pascal compilers
     WANTED--Software for GRE preparation on Mac or IBM.
     Careful with wMgrPort!
     Re: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #33
     Re: Modems for the Mac/Mac+
     Microsoft FILE question

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-61.ARC

daveg
]
  6-Aug-86 14:41:02-PDT,637;000000000001

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 86 14:38 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Bus'd Out

I have a working copy of Bus'd Out.  It has a system with it that has the
required version of the appletalk drivers in it.  I am currently trying to
place those drivers in the game itself so that it can run under any system.
I am halfway skeptical, so I have to take my work Mac home to test it.  Be
patient and send me mail if you cannot wait.

Jon

PS If it works I will post it.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 86 15:43 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Color Printing Software

Here is a synopsis of color printing software as gleaned from the ads in the
magazines.  Has anyone used this stuff?  I saw Silicon Press at the MacWorld
expo in SF a while back and it worked real well.  They were printing labels
to go over people's registration badges in color with an Apple on it.  They
looked good so I am buying their product based on that experience and a good
review in MacUser.  I will post a review when I get everything set up and
working.  I was curious how other people are doing.

I was really impressed with how easy making labels was.  I needed to print a
number of identical labels (for IBM disks I hand out :-) so I just popped into
ResEdit and used that nifty printer PREC template I made from MacWorld's
article and created a label sized page and voila, MacDraw worked fine.  I just
hope someone asks me where those labels came from.

Jon

Here's the preliminary list of color printing software.

MacPalette by MicroSpot - no price listed
        Prints color from object oriented (Quickdraw?) programs, not MacPaint,
        such as MacDraw, MacDraft, MacWrite, JAZZ, Chart (Excel?), and
        MacProject.

Colormate by Softstyle for $95.00
        Opens MacPaint documents and accepts cut & pastes.  One pass printing.
Colormate Art by Softstyle for $45.00
        Multicolor clip art.  130 files on 2 disks.
Printworks by Softstyle for $75.00
        Object oriented generic color printer drivers.

myDiskLabeler with Color by Williams & Macias for $54.95
        Color disk labeler.  Create labels with Icon Editor or MacPaint.
        Extra labels are $5 for 54, $9.50 for 108, or $18 for 216.

Silicon Press by Silicon Beach Software for $79.95
        A printing utility to print labels of any size and layout.  Mix
        graphics and text, merge-print and print in color with an Imagewriter
        II.  Laserwriter compatible.

------------------------------

Date: 6 Aug 86   12:10-EST
From: Fabio Idrobo   <psy9a3n%BOSTONU.bitnet@WISCVM.ARPA>
Subject: MAC+, and image writter in Europe (SPAIN).

I plan to take the MAC, and an image writter to Spain. I was told that the MAC
will work with a transformer (110 --> 220), but no one has a reliable answer
as to whether the printer will work or not with a transformer. I was wondering
if any one has had experience with this. I am uncertain as to the cycles in
Spain (maybe 50 Hz.)

Please respond directly to my address, I'm not a menber of this bord.

                       psy9a3n%bostonu.bitnet@wiscvm.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 86 13:12:43 pdt
From: Bernard Aboba <bernard@ararat>
Subject: Mac + Modem Hangup Problems

Why is it that many terminal programs (Red Ryder, MacKermit, VersaTerm, UW)
hang up on quitting on a Mac +,  when they didn't on a  512K Mac with the
old ROMS?  I hate redialing all the time.  Is there a fix for this?

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 6 Aug 86 18:44:26 edt
From: binde@topaz.rutgers.edu (Beth Binde)
Subject: Public Domain Software Request

I am attempting to find software to support a one-semester computer
literacy course for non-majors here at Rutgers.  Any suggestions for
good quality public domain software or low cost commercial software
would be gratefully received.  We'd be willing to entertain the
possibility of using limited versions of software as well as discuss
volume discounting and site licensing.

I have found many fine commercial packages that would suit the
requirements well.  The difficulty is that we'd would like to keep the
cost to each student at about the cost of a textbook.  Since we do not
have monitored labs, each student would need to have their own copies
of the software.

In the best of all possible worlds, we'd like to support the following
applications:

* Word processing-- an editor, a spelling checker, and an on-screen text
formatter

* Spread sheet package with at least these functions: commands and
formulas can be applied to ranges of cells, spreadsheets can be saved
and retrieved, and hardcopy output can be obtained. Optionally, the
spreadsheet should be integrated with a graphics package so that the
data can be represented graphically.

* Graphics capability  -- demo programs, ability to create desired
graphic output.  Optionally,  integrated with the
spread sheet.  Ability to produce hardcopy of the graphics output.

* Structured programming language -- robust enough to do IF-THEN-ELSE,
FOR loops, WHILE loops, 1 and 2 diminsional arrays, perhaps character
manipulation, gosubs, user-defined functions, and file i/o.

* Database system-- integrated with spread sheet and graphics, ability
to insert and delete records, and do lookups by using a query
language.

Please reply directly to me, and thank you for your help.

Beth E. Binde
USENET: ...seismo!topaz!binde	ARPAnet: Binde@Red.Rutgers.Edu
Telephone: 201-932-2287   201-932-2496 (to leave messages)

------------------------------

Sender: "Peggy_B._Thomas.OsbuSouth"@Xerox.COM
Date: 5 Aug 86 17:01:22 PDT (Tuesday)
Subject: Ruggedized MacIntosh
From: PThomas.OsbuSouth@Xerox.COM

Does anyone know of a "ruggedized" MacIntosh ?  A group at Hughes
Aircraft would like to buy one.

Peggy Thomas

End of INFO-MAC Digest