[mod.mac] Delphi Mac Digest V2 #38

SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (Jeffrey Shulman) (08/20/86)

Delphi Mac Digest          Wednesday, 20 August 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 38

Today's Topics:
     Administrativia - Vacation
     buffer
     RE: buffer (Re: Msg 11797)
     RE: buffer (Re: Msg 11798)
     RE: buffer (Re: Msg 11801)
     RE: buffer (Re: Msg 11798)
     Copy Perversion Woes
     EXPO News:  Maze Wars+
     RE: EXPO News:  Maze Wars+ (Re: Msg 11811)
     Finder and System resources
     RE: Paranoia Vindicated (Re: Msg 586)
     RE: Paranoia Vindicated (Re: Msg 592)
     RE: char speed (Re: Msg 588)
     Aztec C future
     RE: Aztec C future (Re: Msg 623)
     RE: editor features (Re: Msg 603)
     RE: Very Weird Problem (Re: Msg 590)
     RE: Strange MacPlus?
     RE: Mike Morton's address
     RE: List Manager LDEF (Re: Msg 525)
     RE: FullPaint
     RE: Hard Disks for Mac+
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #64 (Re: Msg 11845)
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #65 (Re: Msg 11846)
     Thanks, but....
     RE: Thanks, but.... (Re: Msg 11863)
     MacWorld Expo (Boston)
     RE: MacWorld Expo (Boston) (Re: Msg 11880)
     Lightspeed pascal
     Appletalk'd IW/Sil. Press
     RE: Appletalk'd IW/Sil. Press (Re: Msg 11898)
     A-hooga
     Bug in System 3.2
     Re Tech Note #78
     RE: Re Tech Note #78 (Re: Msg 643)
     RE: Aztec C future (Re: Msg 623)
     RE: Aztec C future (Re: Msg 645)
     RE: Need help with LightSpeed C (Part II (Re: Msg 640)
     RE: Need help with LightSpeed C (Part II (Re: Msg 646)

From: Jeff Shulman - the moderator
Subject: Administrativia - Vacation
Date: 20-AUG

I will be on vacation until the beginning of September.  Delphi and Usenet
Mac digests will resume when I return.  TTFN.

------------------------------

From: HAPPY (11797)
Subject: buffer
Date: 16-AUG 10:30 Mousing Around

Is there a software uti;lity that acts as a buffer when printing with
MacWrite?  I've heard vaguely about such a thing, and I'm getting very
impatient with havbing to wait for the printer to finish before
starting on a new document. Can RamDisk be used in this way?
Otherwise, can you recommend a relatively inexpensive hardware-type
buffer. Thanks.

------------------------------

From: PEABO (11798)
Subject: RE: buffer (Re: Msg 11797)
Date: 16-AUG 11:10 Mousing Around

Most software print spoolers on the Mac work on text documents.  There is a
program called "Work*n*Print" which might do what you want.  It's by
Assimilation, which I think has gone out of business, so you might have some
trouble finding someone who is selling it ... check out the mail-order places.

You could use an external print buffer, but be warned that Mac documents take
large amounts of memory to buffer because they are bit-mapped images when
printed.  256K would be a minimum sized buffer for reasonable performance. Even
if you buffer, you might find that the printing speed is not that much faster
because it takes a lot of processing power to compute the image of each page.

Some hard disks have print spooling software incorporated in them, and have the
advantage of speeding up everything you do on the Mac.  You are talking about
spending at least $800 for a hard disk though.

peter

------------------------------

From: DWB (11801)
Subject: RE: buffer (Re: Msg 11798)
Date: 16-AUG 20:02 Mousing Around

Get a coppy of MaxPrint from MacMemory Inc.  It is a quite good
printer spooling program which let's you configure what disk spooling
is done too.  After the document has been spoole dyou are free to
continue on and work with another application.

Also included is a RamDisk which seems to be about standard for the RamDisks
I've seen so far.  Nothing special but certainly functional.

David

------------------------------

From: INC (11804)
Subject: RE: buffer (Re: Msg 11801)
Date: 17-AUG 09:24 Mousing Around

Also, SuperMac technologies just came out with their buffer at the show
yesterday.

I don't recall the name of it but it was real slick and offered spooling and
editing of the print que (including deletion of files waiting to be printed and
swaping of order...).  It'll be out officially next week.

josh wachs MacInTouch

------------------------------

From: JIMH (11820)
Date: 17-AUG 20:45 Mousing Around

We use mainstays macspool at work works wit not only text byt graphics.  works
as well (afast ) as the harwdawere spooler on my tecmar.  i tlike it.  jim

------------------------------

From: DSACHS (11803)
Subject: Copy Perversion Woes
Date: 16-AUG 23:52 Programming

I may possibly have found a case in which the installation of a copy
protected program causes another program to fail.  For some reason Mac
Connect (not copy protected) bombs with System error 2 when run from
one particular hard disk volume, even after both it and the System
folder were replaced.  This particular volume contains Fontographer,
whose hard disk install scheme creates some peculiar invisible files.
The problem with Mac Connect disappeared when it was run from a volume
that did not contain any such peculiar files.  I would like to hear if
anyone else has had such experiences.

------------------------------

From: PEABO (11811)
Subject: EXPO News:  Maze Wars+
Date: 17-AUG 15:35 Games and Entertainment

<still groggy after the after-the-after-the-party-party-party>

<I reach for the first piece of literature on the pile I brought back
from the Expo (Oh man, am I really going to type in stuff about all of
these products???)  Ut's ...>

Maze Wars+ from MacroMind.  This is based on the original MazeWars, but has a
lot of new features, including a modem option, robots to help you keep from
getting killed, a way to talk to other players, and your choice of 6 kinds of
player character.

MacroMind (R) Inc.
1028 W. Wolfram
Chicago, IL  60657
(312) 871-0987

$49.95 plus S&H and tax if applicable.  Dealer Inquiries welcome.

peter

------------------------------

From: PEABO (11812)
Subject: RE: EXPO News:  Maze Wars+ (Re: Msg 11811)
Date: 17-AUG 15:37 Games and Entertainment

<still groggy>

I'm not actually going to post all the literature here in Forum, but
stay tuned, we'll have a bunch of interesting stuff for you this week

peter

------------------------------

From: MADMACS (11818)
Subject: Finder and System resources
Date: 17-AUG 18:58 Mousing Around

I relize that most of you seem to be recovering from the Expo. I look
forward _eagerly_ for your reports! But I wonder if someone could
point me in the right direction. I am looking for information about
modifications to the resources (such as LAYO and INTL) of the Finder
and the System that will "personalize" the user interface of the Mac.
Things such as date formats, window sizes and positions on opening,
icons, defaults in the Finder, etc.  I have figured a few of these out
but some remain a mystery.  (Does MetricSys set to 1 in the Finder
really do anything?) Where is the best source for the description of
the items for the Finder and System that appear in RESedit?  Thanks,
and keep that Expo news comming... - Doug Wood (MADMACS)

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER (598)
Subject: RE: Paranoia Vindicated (Re: Msg 586)
Date:  13-AUG 03:25 Programming Techniques

        Turns out its a bug in _OpenResFile, so the masking has to be done.
I have details on just when you can and can't use PEA/LEA without the masks
(courtesy of Don Bronw) if you need them.
        Tech Note 78 is on this subject -- coming soon, they say.
                - Lofty

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER (601)
Subject: RE: Paranoia Vindicated (Re: Msg 592)
Date:  13-AUG 03:36 Programming Techniques

Yeah, PEA will do it (though in the actual case I also wanted to save
the address in an address register -- didn't generally use A0) -- but
clearning the high bits is no problem if what you're passing is a
pointer.  In fact the problem turns out to be that if the high bits
aren't clear _RecoverHandle apparently sometimes thinks you've sent it
the address of a locked handle (or at least something in the ROM
thinks that). ]  - Lofty

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER (599)
Subject: RE: char speed (Re: Msg 588)
Date:  13-AUG 03:31 Programming Techniques

Well, I had TMON up, so I checked.  DrawString doesn't call DrawChar to do its
drawing.  But Lord, does it jump all over the ROM.  No wonder Yves was able to
get 19200 supported writing his own routines.  If you just slam bits into the
screenmap you could speed things up incredibly.
- Lofty

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (623)
Subject: Aztec C future
Date:  17-AUG 23:59 Tools for Developers

Jim Goodnow was showing the C symbolic debugger at the Manx booth. It looked
very nice.

He was wearing one of the MacApp shirts (much desired by the rest of
us programmers), and said that Manx was involved in the design of C+-.
They should have it this year, and will try to make it cheap, but the
licensing fees (from Bell Labs) were something like $50.

He said something about a new linker and longer names, but I don't
remember if that was gonna be in the next release or the one after. He
did say something about function prototyping, presumably as an
implementation of the new standard.

He wasn't enthusiastic about my thoughts on glue-less memory manager calls.

------------------------------

From: PEABO (625)
Subject: RE: Aztec C future (Re: Msg 623)
Date:  18-AUG 04:04 Tools for Developers

I've heard of C++, but what's C+-?

What are your thoughts about glue-less memory manager calls?  The advice I've
seen recently is that malloc() and free() are fine for compatibility but quite
expensive in their implementations for most C enviornments, so on the Mac you
should do your own layer of memory management on top of the toolbox anyway.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (624)
Subject: RE: editor features (Re: Msg 603)
Date:  17-AUG 23:59 Tools for Developers

The behavior of double-clicking should obviously be user-choosable.
QUED 1.5 has done something about the problem by adding a new
checkable menu item, Intelligent Cut & Paste.  It's a little more
sophisticated than the way MacWrite implements it - it handles
[Backspace] as well.  Haven't used it in program editing yet.
Unfortunately, when you turn it off, you get selection of trailing
whitespace.  So it may still not be my ideal (TextEdit works well for
program editing, except that double-clicking isn't smart enough about
word-selection).

------------------------------

From: PEABO (626)
Subject: RE: Very Weird Problem (Re: Msg 590)
Date:  18-AUG 04:11 Programming Techniques

I bought TMON at the show and found out from reading the manual that
they are well aware of the problem of references to I/O space.  They
consider it a feature, or at least an attractive nuisance.  Look at
pages 19 and 29 and maybe some others.  There is a way of breaking out
of the lockup even if your repeated unfreezing doesn't work, but it
may not allow you to continue the program after, just look at the mess
you're in.

In any case as Lofty found out, unfreezing trashes the serial ports so people
with serial disks or who are writing terminal programs are SOL anyway ...

:-(
peter

------------------------------

From: PEABO (11847)
Subject: RE: Strange MacPlus?
Date: 18-AUG 17:34 Network Digests

>Date: Fri, 15 Aug 86 00:09 EDT
>From: BELSLEY%BCVAX3.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA  (DAVID A. BELSLEY)
>Subject: Strange MacPlus?

>Has anyone any ideas on what is happening?  I have a disk which has a RamStart
>which is set to create a ram disk of 550K.  On my MacPlus it does exactly this,
>and I can make a ram disk in excess of 800K.  This disk works exactly the same
>on several other MacPluses as well.  But, there is one MacPlus that behaves
>differently.  When the ram disk is created, it is made 230K instead of 550K,
>and the largest ram disk that can be created is only about 660K.

Check the Control Panel to see if the Cache is enabled.

peter

------------------------------

From: PEABO (11848)
Subject: RE: Mike Morton's address
Date: 18-AUG 17:51 Network Digests

>From: baron@runx.OZ (Jason Haines)
>Subject: Address?
>Date: 10 Aug 86 04:04:05 GMT

>Does anyone have the address (e-mail/US-SNAIL) of a Mr. Mike Morton, the
>author of Vanlandingham?

Mike Morton
Lotus Development Corporation
50 Commercial St
Cambridge, MA  02142
(617) 577-8500

(The address is from the phone book, so I can't be absolutely sure of the ZIP
code or the exact spelling.  It's after 5 PM here or I'd call Lotus on the
phone to check.)

peter

------------------------------

From: RAYMONDLAU (641)
Subject: RE: List Manager LDEF (Re: Msg 525)
Date:  18-AUG 19:07 Developers' Corner

Thanks for your help.  I've solved my mouse scaling prob by referring
to a list of low memory globals that came with the Software Supplement
v1i1.  There's a global, CrsrScale, at 8d3 (1 byte) which contains ff
for mouse and 00 for tablet.  But alas...this global isn't in IM...
Now, maybe if we can have a list for the rest of the low memory
globals now available on the +... Sorry I took this long to reply, but
I can't afford frequent calls.

------------------------------

From: INC (11864)
Subject: RE: FullPaint
Date: 18-AUG 22:37 Network Digests

From: arlo@ssc-vax.UUCP (Jim Campiche)
Subject: FullPaint
Date: 11 Aug 86 21:43:27 GMT

You might want to get in touch with Ann Arbor.  I don't think that the memory
problems will be solved but they just announced an update at the recent MacExpo
in Boston which offered color printing on the IW ][, non-copy-perverted, and
other nice features.

josh wachs
MacInTouch

------------------------------

From: INC (11865)
Subject: RE: Hard Disks for Mac+
Date: 18-AUG 22:40 Network Digests

From: zaccone@psuvax1.UUCP (Rick Zaccone)
Subject: Hard Disks for Mac+
Date: 11 Aug 86 19:15:20 GMT

The latest MacInTouch newsletter (August '86) has a review of the Mirror MagNet
20x (and MacServe).  Call Ric Ford at 617/527.5808 at MacInTouch HQ to get more
info and a copy.

josh wachs
MacInTouch

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (11877)
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #64 (Re: Msg 11845)
Date: 19-AUG 03:29 Network Digests

>From: sdh@joevax.UUCP (The Doctor)
>Subject: laser writer oddities
Turn off smoothing (i.e. use Print Draft).  (BTW, one of my pet peeves
is screen dumps printed with smoothing.  They're no longer screen
dumps in such cases, they're art.)

>From: jimb@amdcad.UUCP (Jim Budler)
>Subject: Re: Aztec C (Unix enviroment) and Mac Toolbox
I don't understand how passing all arguments in registers is good; it
would seem that it makes life rough for register variables.  BTW, I've
always thought that Pascal and C calling sequences were different
because C doesn't know how many arguments will be passed.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (11878)
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #65 (Re: Msg 11846)
Date: 19-AUG 03:29 Network Digests

>From: curtin@uiucuxc.CSO.UIUC.EDU
>Subject: LoDown drives?
My LoDOWN 20 has been pretty reliable.  It crashed once, and there's a bad file
on it, but it seems in line with all the others.  And as long as I use HFS
Backup (from PCPC), I don't worry much about it.

>From: ncmagel@ndsuvax.UUCP (ken magel)
>Subject: programming help
I agree that Scott Knaster's book is great, but do not buy it in a
bookstore.  I got mine at the Boston Expo by joining APDA, which cost
$20.  The book is normally $28.  APDA is 290 SW 43rd St, Renton, WA
98055.

>From: bass@dmsd.UUCP (John Bass)
>Subject: Re: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #36
I kinda agree that the Mac not having parity checking is a potential
problem...  but IBM certainly doesn't have the answer! I don't call
crashing entirely because of a cosmic ray much more reliable.  Steve
Langdon brings up a good point, that good software design is as
important.  The TMON debugger checksums itself and informs you when
it's been damaged.  Even when this occurs, I've been able to perform a
normal shut down without losing data or forcing a hard disk bitmap
rebuild.

>From: dewi@druca.UUCP (Maker of Ritual Grimaces)
>Subject: Inside Switcher
According to Andy, you can think of Servant just like Switcher.  I got
some verification of this when I tried to quit Tempo while under
Servant, and it gave me the message about not being able to quit while
running Switcher.

------------------------------

From: PUGDOG (11863)
Subject: Thanks, but....
Date: 18-AUG 22:36 SIG Business

I seemed to have opened a can of worms.  And some people have decided to
treat it lightly, well, its your sig, and you know each other.

For those who posted addresses, I will try to get a hold of them for
some information....

I haven't been on much recently, "the job" is taking up much of my time.

For those who might think otherwise, in an office, screen size is important
also, a "REAL" medical manager, one that does insurance is important.  A
spread sheet, or jury rigged database simply doesn't cut it (no matter what
Lotus would like the world to believe).

The mouse interface, while cute, requires more desk room -- BUT, you say, the
MAC takes up less room than a PC.  True, but the piles of garbage expande to
cover available desk space, as we all know.

The size, and user interface are givens, that can't be changed (yet), but
the availability of a medical office manager can.  If the MAC is a serios
machine, it should have some serious programs... so I will look around.

Also, in this business, we DON"T BUY DEMOS.  If the company doesn't give us
one, we don't carry it, nor do we examine it.  If they don't believe they
have a product serious enough to sell, we aren't going to be their only
customers.  With PC software, that policy has eliminate a few vendors, who
insisted that we shell out several hundred dollars for their demo.  With
the MAC, we can't find ANY stuff to consider at all.  I`ll give those
companies listed a try, and report back.

I NEED a medical manager for the MAC.  If anyone out there can locate a
company that wan'ts to woo me into carrying their product, let them contact
me at ComputerLand, 153 Main St, Mt. Kisco, NY 10549  (914)666-0100.
We cover most of Westchester, Parts of Manhattan, Long Island, Rockalnd
and CConnecticut.  It would be worth their while.

Thanks again for your help,

[this is a tough business.... And the manufacturers seem to feel that they
 are doing us a favor by letting us carry their product.  They Ain't.  and
 with the garbage out there, nothing is further from the truth.  The
 products I sell, are the products I believe in... and those tend to be
 products I use, or have used, and know how they perform.

 What company is going to win me over by sending me some literature, and
 saying I have to pay 500 to carry their product.  I'm buying blind, and
 my customers are buying blind.... and That is not how medicine (or any
 business) is run.
 -flame off..]

-r-

------------------------------

From: PEABO (11871)
Subject: RE: Thanks, but.... (Re: Msg 11863)
Date: 19-AUG 02:03 SIG Business

By the way, large screens are available for the Mac now.  Three of them were on
display at the show, ranging from 1000 by 800 (appox) pixels to 1024 by 1024,
and more or less 17 inches diagonal.

They are a tad expensive, but in combo with the Levco Prodigy 4 68020 machine,
you get a computer that runs about twice as fast as an IBM PC/AT and has
gorgeous graphics.

Dwayne Maxwell of Levco says that the thing that distinguishes his
Prodigy 4 Mac from a SUN workstation is that you can afford to get
lots of software.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (11880)
Subject: MacWorld Expo (Boston)
Date: 19-AUG 03:31 Business Mac

Seemed like the best stuff at the show was not at the show (e.g. I had
to crash a suite to see Two in a Mac, from McDonnell Douglass
Automation division [famous for MacAuto CAD software -- I won't go
into the story behind how this led them to Mac development], which had
an unusual interface with little Mac screens showing you the program
running [kinda like Windows icons]; you could zoom a screen to normal
size).  I also crashed a private demo of SuperPaint, which is looking
better and better (it has a trick to let you edit bitmaps at 300dpi).

On the floor, WriteNow was a spiffy word processor, with multiple
columns on screen and a smart spelling checker (which gave guesses not
necessarily starting with the same letters as the misspelling).

Developers could join APDA for $20 and get Scott Knaster's excellent book
(normally $28).  APDA will be selling beta stuff like SmallTalk and MPW.

I got to see Glue at the ICONtact-type party, and verified that it works as
advertised (I don't mean the capture part, but on how well it handles tricky
dialogs).

Symmetry was showing Acta 1.1, still the only outliner with Undo (me, biased?).

There was a flat-screen Mac repackaging called DynaMac; I wasn't impressed with
the prototype because the screen made an irritating noise.

One of the highlights of the show came when I was on the subway (talking to an
attractive female wearing the prized MacApp shirt) and someone behind me asked
if I was David Dunham and handed me his DiskInfo payment.

------------------------------

From: PEABO (11893)
Subject: RE: MacWorld Expo (Boston) (Re: Msg 11880)
Date: 19-AUG 17:03 Business Mac

(*ahem*) The MacApp shirts aren't *that* hard to get ... everyone who went to
the MacApp developer's conference got one.

Of course, now they are hard to get ...

peter

------------------------------

From: JIMH (11896)
Subject: Lightspeed pascal
Date: 19-AUG 18:42 Programming

Lofty, have you done anything with your lightspeed pascal yet?  i
converted one of my programs to it and managed to crash it horribly 4
or 5 times (things like null pointer it catches than crashes).  i like
it but it sure seems to be buggy.  it also does not support some
things i had gotten used to in TML. i cant pass a pointer for a packed
array by @Name for instance, why i have no idea.  yea i know the @
operator is non standard and all but i think think could have followed
the lisa pascal ext ensions.  it also does not support exit.  anyway i
will probably spend a little more time with it before giving up on it
(grin).  al in all it has some great features.  jim

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (11898)
Subject: Appletalk'd IW/Sil. Press
Date: 19-AUG 19:14 Bugs & Features

A note on Appletalk IW printing and Silicon Press...

After trying out the release 1.1 of Silicon Press with the Appletalk'd IW,
I found the same strange happenings...no printing after first time, bombs
when exiting, etc.  A note in the Addendum to 1.1 states that you should
choose "Black & White" as the Silicon Press Preference for the Appletalk'd
IW, unless you wish to print in color, when you would choose "Other Color
Printer".  After talking with Eric Zocher about the problems, he decided the
Addendum is in error, and you must choose "Other Color Printer" whenever you
print to the AppleTalk'd IW, using black and white or color.  This does
seem to make the AppleTalk'd IW work fine with Silicon Press...HOWEVER....

Silicon Beach does not recommend "heavy-duty" printing of labels using the
Appletalk'd IW, since it requires using the normal Apple driver, which rolls
the paper (labels) back and forth in the carriage before starting printing.
They are concerned that too many labels will become stuck in the paper path,
and the special drivers written by Silicon prevent this by eliminating the
carriage gymnastics before printing.

Another option would be to use special labels such as the order #7-10694
labels from Quill Corporation (an Illinois office suppy/mail order house).
These labels are connected to each other by three small tabs, so that having
a label come off during printing is much less likely...they also have no
space between labels, which gives a bit more room per label.  Their prices
are around the same or less than Avery labels. (Quill is an excellent source
for printer paper, other labels, etc.  Sizable discounts, frequent sales,
and no shipping charges to places closer than Texas...they split shipping
to further places).  You can request to be on their mailing list by calling
(312) 634-4800.

Alf

------------------------------

From: PEABO (11901)
Subject: RE: Appletalk'd IW/Sil. Press (Re: Msg 11898)
Date: 19-AUG 19:35 Bugs & Features

David Smith of MacTutor confirms your observations about it not being
a good idea to print labels on an Imagewriter II.  He says that the
only tool that works for freeing an stuck label from under the platen
(which cannot be lifted out) is a flexible nail file.  A recent Apple
Tech Note explains that the reason the Imagewriter II reversed
direction at the top of a page is that it is aligning the paper at a
reference point described by the operators' instructions, and the
paper has to be rolled back before beginning printing because the
refernce point has to be too far above the head position.

peter

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (11899)
Subject: A-hooga
Date: 19-AUG 19:15 Mousing Around

Odd deal....

Out-of-date technology at cheap prices...grin.

Note today from a company selling out Bernoulli's stock of model B105-MAC
drives at $599.  This is the single cartridge drive (5 MB), though you can
easily swap cartridges (they also are selling the carts 3/$99 with purchase
of the drive).  Last year the unit retailed at $1995 (we've come a long
way!).  It hooks to the serial port, of course, so speed is not great. Maybe
someone could come up with a SCSI adapter for it and when the lot gets down
to $299, turn them into InstantBackOnLine BBS drives.

BCE Authorized Liquidators (ooo...I'd be real careful!) 1-800-545-7447.

------------------------------

From: DSACHS (642)
Subject: Bug in System 3.2
Date:  18-AUG 21:51 Software Supplement

The MiniFinder does not honor the bFAlways file attribute.  This makes it
necessary to go to the Finder before starting an application that must run with
the System file on the same disk.  I noticed this effect with the IOmega
utilities application for the 5MB Bernoulli box, which, of course, cannot
dismount a cartridge that is the startup volume.

------------------------------

From: DSACHS (643)
Subject: Re Tech Note #78
Date:  18-AUG 21:55 Tech Notes

The suggested code for the OpenResFile bug makes the assumption that
no Macintosh, including future models based on 68020 or even more
advanced microprocessors will ever have more than 16 Megabytes of RAM.
Is Apple prepared to guarantee this for all time?

------------------------------

From: PEABO (644)
Subject: RE: Re Tech Note #78 (Re: Msg 643)
Date:  18-AUG 22:31 Tech Notes

Well, the 24-bit addressing is deeply imbedded in all sorts of handle
manipulation.  Apple has made a start at addressing (*ahem*) the problem by
telling people not to set and reset bits in the MSByte of handles when what is
meant is to manipulate the attributes of the handle.  But I bet there is very
little chance of a smooth transition to a larger address space.

What might happen instead is multiple virtual address spaces, each within a 24-
bit address space, but mapped into a larger physical memory.

peter

------------------------------

From: RANDOM (645)
Date:  18-AUG 22:37 Tools for Developers

Do you mean the symbolic debugger that comes with 1.06H, or the source level
debugger that is supposed to be in the next version?

I'm REAL glad you saw Goodnow wearing that MacApp shirt; I was
wondering how I was going to interface to it (please, no, don't make
me convert to Object Pascal!) ever since I read the article in August
Byte. I even wrote PPI ( publishers of Objective C) a letter, but they
didn't seem very certain that they were even going to do a port to the
Macintosh, much less when.

I guess C+- is a subset of C++ (seems that I read that somewhere). Did Jim say
anything about present Aztec C owners upgrading to it? (That is, is it going to
replace Aztec C or will it be a whole new product?)

------------------------------

From: PEABO (647)
Subject: RE: Aztec C future (Re: Msg 645)
Date:  19-AUG 02:06 Tools for Developers

PPI told you they weren't certain when they'd port to the Mac??
That's funny, I could have sworn the guy doing the MacApp seminar at
the show was from PPI ...

:-)
peter

------------------------------

From: SPERRAZZA (646)
Subject: RE: Need help with LightSpeed C (Part II (Re: Msg 640)
Date:  19-AUG 00:09 Programming Techniques

My problem is that I get an ID 26 error (can't launch file), even when
I know that the Application file is out there. Basically, I'm recoding
an application fromanother compiler to LightSpeed. This application
consists of a front end that calls one of four sub-applications, as
the user selects. (Ugly, but different people wrote the
sub-applications at different times). Stage one of the rewrite was to
redo the front end, which is simply a modeless dialog box with 4
buttons. I wanted the ResumeProc in case the user threw away one of
the sub apps. Stage two would be to rewrite the sub apps as seperate
code segments, and do away with the seperate application files (and
yield HFS compatability to boot). Anyway, I rewrote the driver (no big
deal, righht?), and everything works as before, except no ResumeProc
and no launch. The previous code used inline Assembly, so it was
somewhat easier. *Hopefully*, Think H~will offer this in their next
release of LSC.

Thanks again - JSS

------------------------------

From: PEABO (648)
Subject: RE: Need help with LightSpeed C (Part II (Re: Msg 646)
Date:  19-AUG 02:11 Programming Techniques

Sounds like the default volume is not what you think it is ... try doing a
GetVol to see.  Launch must be calling OpenResFile, which uses the default
volume specification.

peter

End of Delphi Mac Digest

-------