[net.sf-lovers] Diana Paxson

lah%ucbmiro@Berkeley (06/05/85)

From: lah%ucbmiro@Berkeley (First Lieutenant Leigh Ann Hussey)

Diana is far from being new in the fantasy field.  For starters, you can read
her previous stories in the "Thieves' World" series.  Then there are the
chronicles of Westria (set in a post-cataclysm earth in which the only folk
deemed worthy to survive are the Society for Creative Anachronism -- just
kidding).  Titles: Lady of Light; Lady of Darkness.  Both published by Pocket
Timescape and subsequently victims of the strange mix of bureaucratese etc.
that surrounded the folding of that line.  The sequels have been bought by
Tor, and the third book tentatively titled Silverhair the Wanderer will be out
next year some time.  Other short stories have appeared in Amazing and Hecate's
Cauldron (published by DAW), and Marion Zimmer Bradley's "Sword and Sorceress"
anthologies and the "Greyhaven" anthology.  Also soon to be released (from
Berkley?): White Mare, Red Stallion, a romance novel with a twist (it's set
in 6th or so century Scotland; how many romance heroines carry on cogent
conversations with the disembodied heads of their fathers?).  As you can tell,
I like her stuff too, and I think Brisingamen's the best of the lot.

I'll let her know she got a fan letter...

Leigh Ann

DOLSON@USC-ECLB.ARPA (06/05/85)

From: Douglas M. Olson <dolson@USC-ECLB.ARPA>

: callaghan%pseudo.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Gaylene Callaghan) writes:
>Why haven't I read anything on Diana Paxson on this net? ...
>Is she new to the field? Or has she been around (in cognito) for
>awhile?  Has she written anything else?  (quickly, I'm almost
>finished with Brisingamen)

Diana Paxson has written two other novels that I know about, I believe
they are called LADY OF LIGHT and LADY OF DARKNESS.  She has been an
associate of Marion Zimmer Bradley for awhile and is included in several
of MZB's anthologies; I'm not certain she is in all of these, but try
GREYHAVEN, SWORD AND SORCERESS I and II, and perhaps the anthologies
of the Friends of Darkover, SWORD OF CHAOS and (*arghh*) memory fails me
as to the other anthology name.  Sorry, my books are 2000 miles away!

I remember discovering several other authors in those anthologies, whose
works I have continued to snap up whenever I find them...the only one I
can name is Jennifer Roberson, who published SHAPECHANGERS last year.
MZB has tried to encourage new authors with her anthologies, she evidently
reads a large slushpile every year.  If you support such efforts, give the
books a buy, you never know what you'll find...

ddo (dolson @ eclb.arpa)
-------

callaghan%pseudo.DEC@decwrl.ARPA (06/07/85)

From: callaghan%pseudo.DEC@decwrl.ARPA  (Gaylene Callaghan DTN:523-4523)

Thanks to everyone that responded to my inquiry of
Diana Paxson. I had no idea I'd been missing out on
so much. (and I thought I'd been reading quite a bit
lately.... hmmm)

Gaylene

"Presto... RRRROOOOAAAAARRRRR ... hmm, better get me another hat!"