        From Absoft. How to access controls from Absoft Fortran.
                     MacBin program for Unix systems
                              Smalltalk 0.3
                             TOPS/MACAUTHOR
                 re: Problems exchanging Lisas for Mac+
                          Lisa to Mac+ Upgrade
                       computer intensive campuses

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 86 08:26 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: HFS and MFS volumes

To: Lance Nakata
Subject: How to identify an HFS disk?

Tech note #66 states that calling PBHGetVInfo will give you the directory
signature in the ioVSigWord field of the HParamBlockRec.  A signature of $D2D7
means that it is MFS and $4244 means it is HFS.  To change this you could use
the call to PBSetVInfo, but you  would probably be asking for trouble. Play
around with it and see, but Be Careful, and, as always, muck with a copy.

This, and tons more information, is also in Volume IV of Inside Mac, available
in the Software Supplement Volume 1, Issue 3 from Apple.  Twenty-five bucks
for 7 disks (4 Mac, 3 Lisa) and a two inch thick stack of documentation.  Such
a deal.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 29 Aug 86 10:22 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: B-Trees

B-Trees are a data structure that is very popular for use in heavy sorting
and searching applications.  Their advantage is that they store all the data
in their terminal nodes and they are very balanced, making searches and sorts
very quick.  Apple uses B-Trees in the HFS file system to handle the directory
information.  Any decent college text should include a discussion of B-Trees
and if I was really lucky I could dig up my old CS 440 Data Structures Pascal
assignment that manipulated them.  They require more complex code for keeping
them balanced, but the speed tradeoff is worth it in large datasets.

Jon

------------------------------

Subject: Mac PROLOGs
Date: Tue, 02 Sep 86 09:43:13 -0500
From: Jonathan K. Millen <jkm@mitre-bedford.ARPA>

I have been using LPA MacProlog since last January and can report
favorably on it.  I have a pre-release version; the final version
has apparently not yet been received by Programming Logic Systems
(Milford, Connecticut, the distributor) from LPA.  But this version
is quite serviceable.

It supports three dialects: Edinburgh, MicroProlog, and a Lisp-like
"standard" syntax.  The editing and execution environment is totally
integrated and makes thorough use of the Mac interface.  Predicates
are entered into one or more windows, each of which can be designated
as interpreted, compiled, or data (interpreted and allowing updates
during execution).  Interpreted predicates can be traced interactively.
Compiled predicates can be traced passively and run much faster and
with less memory. Compilation is nearly instantaneous.

On a fairly large (10 dense pages) program, the
compiled code ran somewhat faster than the same program running
interpretively in LM-Prolog on a Symbolics Lisp machine.  Running
interpretively on the Mac, this program ran out of memory (1 Meg Mac+)
on an example requiring deep searches, though when compiled it
ran comfortably in 512K.

Built-in predicates are provided for creating menus and for putting up
a few standard dialogs for accepting text or yes/no input.
One can also put up a scrolling window of terms to be selected.
Graphics are not supported.  Apparently some formatted printing will
be available in the final version.

All in all, I like it because of its faithfulness to, and support of,
the Macintosh interface; and it is full-featured and efficient. Now,
if it only supported QuickDraw...

-Jonathan Millen.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 30 Aug 86 13:40 EST
From: ELIOT%cs.umass.edu@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA
Subject: Character Mappings

Doea anybody know how to hack the keyboard configuaration?  In the phone
book edition of Inside Macintosh there is a note (Toolbox event, p 10)
saying that the next version of the OS Event Manager documentation
will explain how this is done.  The "Final" version of IM omits
all mention of keyboard configuations.

I want to change the keyboard configuration so that the Option key
is handled like a true meta key, rather than being a shift key
that accesses special characters.  I would also like to disable
the "accent" key combinations, so that Option-U, Option-I etc.
can be used by my application.

Currently I am running the keycodes through my own tables to create
my own character codes.  This is strictly forbidden by IM, but they
leave me no choice.  It still doesn't allow me to read the accent
key combinations directly.  (Option-U has to be pressed twice.)

Chris Eliot
(Eliot@Umass  CSNET)
(CRE@MIT-MC   ARPANET)

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 86 10:48:15 edt
From: rs4u@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel)
Subject: MacPaint File Format

I'm writing an FKEY that captures the screen, and then allows you to save the
screen image as either a MacPaint file or a StartupScreen file, while allowing
you to choose the name and disk via the Standard File box. I got the routines
worked out to get the screen bits and save the StartupScreen file, but I am
stuck on the MacPaint part. I don't know the faintest about MacPaint's file
format.

can anyone help?

                    --Rich

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 86 23:25:39 mdt
From: dlc%a@LANL.ARPA (Dale Carstensen)
Subject: disk-inserted events (Re: Pernicious bug in Videx...)

I see the same symptoms on my 2-meg 64K ROM machine, only with JClock instead of
the mail program you have.  I have never been able to get any disk recognized,
however, once the Mac quits recognizing disks.  I try to always have BinHex and
a terminal emulator on my RamDisk, in case I need to save a file, but have no
floppy disk capability.  I never had the problem with System 3.1.1/Finder 5.2,
but it sure happens with 3.2/5.3.  I'm not pleased that it happens at all, and
I hope that not using JClock will eliminate it.  I predict that Apple will
never fix it, except perhaps by accident.

[ note from moderator: it seems that the disk insertion event problem is
with the latest system release. One way to have your disk recognized by
the application if it wasn't when it was first inserted is to press on
the place where the pop down menu is in the dialog box (which shows you
the path to the file). This forces the system to read the disk. Another
way is to press on the diskname which appears just above all the buttons.
This has the same effect but also is a shortcut method of moving up
one level in the hierarchary (sp) when in nested folders.  DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: 29 Aug 86 22:03:00 EDT
From: <bouldin@ceee-sed.ARPA>
Subject: From Absoft. How to access controls from Absoft Fortran.

The following 2 messages contain:
1. An example showing how to access controls such as scroll bars from
   Absoft Fortran. The heart of this is a routine from Richard Smith at Absoft
   which allows you to obtain pointers to functions from Fortran.
2. The binhex 4 version of the assembly lang. routine ctlprc.sub for use with
   the scroll.for example.

I have made one change to the code. The equivalence statements in the main
prog. are there because I had commented them out from the file event.inc. I
think it is incorrect to put the equivalence statements in the include file.
If you are using the version of event.inc as received from Micro/Absoft, then
remove the equivalence statements from the main program and in scroll.for and
all will be well.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>FORTRAN-CONTROLS-EXAMPLE.SOURCE
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>FORTRAN-CTLPRC-SUB.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 86 1:12:13 EDT
From: Gary P Standorf <standorf@CECOM-2.ARPA>
Subject: MacBin program for Unix systems

The macbin program runs on a Unix machine to create a MacBinary format file
from the 3 Unix files created when uploaded using macget
(MacTerminal 1.1 emulator), or having dehexified a .hqx file using xbin.

This is useful for downloading to a Macintosh running a terminal emulator
that is using the MacBinary protocol.

Note:  to run this program on a System V Unix system, remove all calls to
the bzero() procedure.  It doesn't exist on System V, and isn't needed.

This particular copy was downloaded from Genie.

Gary Standorf
<standorf@cecom-2.arpa>
From: jimb@amdcad
Subject: xbin to macbin converter (C source)

The following program takes the three files created by xbin (.info .data
and .rsrc) and makes a MacBinary format file out of them. It checks for the
protected bit and moves that if present as required by MacBinary.

Easy to use:

	if you have the three files file.info, file.data, file.rsrc

	type 'macbin file'

	and it will create file.bin

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UNIX-MACBINARY.SHAR

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Sep 86 14:09:37 pdt
From: Roger Tucker <roger%fresno-state.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: Smalltalk 0.3

I have ordered Smalltalk-80 version 0.3 and it is my understanding that
version 0.3 IS Mac+ compatable and requires 1 Mb or more. Version 0.2 has
been around for over a year and will run on a 512 Mac. i have been using
0.2 for about 4 months and it is a good implementation albet rather slow.
I would be interested in hearing from any other users of Smalltalk.
	--roger

------------------------------

Date: Sun,  31 Aug 86 17:31:12 +0200
From: <CLAK100%BGUNOS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: TOPS/MACAUTHOR

HI THERE,
I GOT SOME ADS DESCRIBING THE NEW SCIENTIFIC/TECHNICAL WORD PROCESSOR,
CALLED "MACAUTHOR", THIS APPLICATION SEEMS TO BE DEVELOPED IN ENGLAND,
ANYBODY THERE , KNOWS ANYTING ABOUT IT ? I'LL BE HAPPY TO HEAR SOME
OPINIONS,SINCE I PLAN TO BUY ONE.

ALSO , WHAT ABOUT "TOPS" THE MAC-IBM-PC LINK.
TNKS
RAFI

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 31 Aug 86 22:00:12 EDT
From: Gavin_Eadie%UMich-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: re: Problems exchanging Lisas for Mac+

I ordered two MacPlus exchanges for Lisas about
three weeks ago and had my MacPluses within 5
days from a local computer store. I don't think
you're throwing stones in the right direction
when you blame Apple for non-delivery.

               University of Michigan Computing Center
                                           Gavin Eadie

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 2 Sep 86 12:52:08 EDT
From: "Robert E. Yellen" (IMD-TSD) <ryellen@ARDEC.ARPA>
Subject: Lisa to Mac+ Upgrade

We here at ARDEC upgraded 11 Lisa's to the Mac Plus back in May 86.
The upgrade was delivered in less than 30 days.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Sep 86 10:11:21 CST
From: munnari!augean.oz!ncapon@seismo.CSS.GOV (Dr. Capon)
Subject: computer intensive campuses

This message is being sent to several groups. I apologize to those who see it
twice. I have also had some mail problems, apparently due to changes in host
names to conform to domain addressing; it isn`t clear what arrived and what
didn't. I have had a reject note and a response to one copy.

i am seeking to establish contacts with people concerned with planning for
computer intensive campuses. (alias, `workstations for every student')
My interest ranges from the technical through the managerial to the academic
outcomes.

Our setting is a state-funded University of 10000 students. The current PC
to student ratio is about 1 to 20, but we want to raise that as soon as
possible. It is likely that many institutions will have the same problems
of costs, benefits, impacts on network resources etc, and we would benefit
from discussions. Some institutions are more advanced down this road than
we are, and I would like to talk to them particularly.

It may be that the people I want to contact are not direct users of the
groups I am using; I would appreciate it if readers would pass on the
message or send me suggestions.

Please reply via electronic mail as in the header. Otherwise via AIR
mail (necessary) to

I.N. Capon
Vice Chancellors Office
University of Adelaide