From: MARSHG (11935)
Subject: Carrying cases for Mac and hard disk
Date: 20-AUG 08:13 Mousing Around

I'm going to be travelling with my mac and need to pick up a carrying case for
my mac and hard disk.  Does anybody have any recommendations or horror stories
about the assortment of carrying cases that are available?
  Marsh

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (11937)
Subject: RE: Carrying cases for Mac and hard disk (Re: Msg 11935)
Date: 20-AUG 10:36 Mousing Around

Marsh,
As I've mentioned a few times here, I bought a MacTote and have found the
quality and support (yes, support) to be quite good.  They sent me a free
new shoulder strap, without being asked, because one or two people had had
them break.

Ric

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (11938)
Subject: Hard Disk Test
Date: 20-AUG 13:03 MUGS Online

To: Roy Leban <roy%farg.umich.CSNET@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: Hard Disk Tests

Simply duplicating a large file on different systems with different
amounts of effective RAM, different disk fragmentation, etc., is not a
very good test of disk speed.  On a MicahDrive AT 20 HFS volume I
duplicated a 1540K file on a Mac Plus with TMON loaded (taking 50K or
so of RAM)...

   With 768K cache.... 39 seconds
   WIth no cache...... 23 seconds

Something is peculiar about your result of 512K cache making no difference.
Finder is pretty memory-efficient in doing file copies, sucking up as much as
possible from the source file(s) and then writing to the destination.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (11940)
Subject: tiny tips
Date: 20-AUG 13:42 Mousing Around

I found two little things that seem to make Mac life easier.  Here they are for
what they're worth:

If you put your 800K external disk drive on top of the Mac so that the front
feet hang over the front edge of the Mac, then the back feet rest nicely on the
top/handle and it doesn't take up any desk space.

The other thing I found handy is that putting the keypad on the _left_ of the
keyboard, right next to it, allows one to jump around the Standard File file-
selection dialogs, using the cursor and Command keys.

Ric

------------------------------

From: PEABO (11943)
Subject: RE: tiny tips (Re: Msg 11940)
Date: 20-AUG 15:44 Mousing Around

Well, I used to put my external 400K floppy on top, but after a while
I began having problems with I/O errors.  I suspect these were of the
"disk expands when it is warm" variety, and I caution you about the
amount of heat that is coming up out of the left-hand vents.

Now if you have a fan on your Mac it's different.

Another thing I am accustomed to doing nowadays is booting off an
external drive with a pretty much vanilla system disk that I have
configured to my satisfaction.  The data disk is always in the
internal drive.

peter

------------------------------

From: SWEET (11949)
Subject: TROUBLE
Date: 20-AUG 20:29 Bugs & Features

HELP! Hi all..I am having a problem with a MacPlus and an ImagewriterII.. With
several different programs The IW will print a line or two then it will start
printing "hex" or some oddball characters....Sometimes it just "drops"
lines...It does not do this all the time  ...just when you least expect it....I
am using 3.2 system ...5.3 Finder...2.2 Imagewriter.. I have removed all extra
fonts and Da's.....My dealer says I have no problem....BUT I DO ...Can anyone
help?...Is there a # to call Apple service directly?....Thanks
everyone!!!!....Chuck

------------------------------

From: PEABO (11951)
Subject: RE: TROUBLE (Re: Msg 11949)
Date: 20-AUG 20:40 Bugs & Features

Look in the manual and see what the DIP switch settings are set to.
You seem to have a problem with flow control (the Mac is ignoring the
signal from the printer saying its buffer is full).  If you can't find
anything wrong there, check if you are using the correct cable.

peter

------------------------------

From: SOUTH (12041)
Subject: Servant on PD?
Date: 23-AUG 16:22 MUGS Online

I'm in a dilemma...should I put Servant .79 on our next "public domain" disk?
I'm not sure that Andy really wants such a buggy, incomplete program floating
around so widely.  Still, he was the one giving it out at the Expo, and it does
have an expiration date. But it's not something that anyone can use reliably,
and I wonder if it's too misrepresentative of the final Servant (to the average
user, who's used to relatively polished software [altho on a PD disk they may
not expect quite as much]).

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (12042)
Subject: RE: Servant on PD? (Re: Msg 12041)
Date: 23-AUG 16:44 MUGS Online

Well, you certainly wouldn't be the first to have Servant on PD disks.  I've
noticed several user groups with earlier versions (some so early as to appear
near pointless).  Too, I would think Andy's inclusion of the "pumpkin" feature
indicates his acceptance of the program's distribution.

"Use reliably" doesn't enter in that much, I think, as it's pretty common
knowledge and explained in the About box about all that.  Curiosity is the main
factor for now, in my opinion, and "PD" disks an OK way to sate it.  Plus,
it's just plain fun to sling all those little icons around!

Alf

------------------------------

From: PEABO (12047)
Date: 23-AUG 18:13 MUGS Online

Well, at the presentation Andy said that he didn't want to give it out
to anyone who wouldn't be likely to find and report errors.  He then
went on to talk about the bug report form he put into it and how it
would turn into a pumpkin on Halloween.  He said one of the things he
really hated about the Switcher testing is that he would get bug
reports about Switcher 1.0 when he was working on version 3.x ...

peter

------------------------------

From: VINDICATOR (12139)
Subject: RE: Servant on PD? (Re: Msg 12124)
Date: 26-AUG 22:14 MUGS Online

My bug report prints fine. If you're playing with new DA icons, be sure to
change them immediately after opening up the DRVR resource. DO NOT change the
icon after the DA is one the desktop, or you'll crash. And I've accidentally
opened Excel up twice and didn't have any problem.

As for putting Servant in PD, maybe you could put it somewhere where
the kind of people Andy wants to use it (ie people who'll write timely
bug reports) will see it. Maybe put it in the developer's section or
something, because they would appreciate Andy's need for bug reports.

------------------------------

From: NICKDREXEL (12065)
Subject: DISKEXPRESS FROM ALSOFT
Date: 24-AUG 00:22 Hardware & Peripherals

Hi.  Everybody.

     Today, I have just got DiskExpress from AlSoft.  So far, so good. I paid
around $32.95 for it and got it in 3 days.  The salesperson is very helpful and
assure me that it will work with my LoDown-20.

     Now about my experience with DiskExpress:

1.  First time that I tried to optimize disk, I have encountered with error
about my disk volume block directory.  The manual mentioned this very little.
The manual itself is a one page phamphlete.

2.  So, I back up my 11 Mbytes and reformat LoDown-20.  After, I restore the 11
Mbytes back everything working fine.  It took me about 30 minutes to optimize
and prioritize that 11 MBytes.

3.  The reason of first error messages can be found in the Compuserve forum .
The author stated that versions of system other than 3.2 and finder 5.3 will
damage directory block of HFS volume.  Thus, I believe that by using Alter Ego
with 2.2/4.1 several times before did some wonderful things to my LoDown-20.
Moreover, I suspect that the system error or shut down w/o unmounted volume can
damage hard disk also. Oh, well...tough luck.

      I recommend this software to every hard disk user.  It is the
only disk optimizing in the market so far.  And the way AlSoft pricing
this software will deter another company from entering this market of
optimized software for a long while.  We will see....

     Happy driving hard disk...Nick..

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (12105)
Subject: RE: DISKEXPRESS FROM ALSOFT (Re: Msg 12065)
Date: 25-AUG 04:36 Hardware & Peripherals

It worked on my LoDOWN-20.  Interestingly, mine was damaged too, so I
reformatted it (you should probably use Format-LD to do the most
reformatting; I don't agree with the terms, but the Finder's
Initialize just writes file system info).

The author told me he wanted to put more detailed error messages in,
and the other people wanted them to be very brief.  What you get is a
compromise.  (Many of the errors wouldn't be very useful; I mean, you
might be satisfied to know that your B-tree file was OK and your
extent file wasn't, but you're not likely to be able to do any
detective work from that distinction, and the effect is the same.)

A message on Compu$erve said that damage could occur when you ran System/Finder
before 3.2.  SOmething to do with space not being reallocated.

------------------------------

From: ROWLAND (12073)
Subject: Ancient art of war
Date: 24-AUG 10:58 Games and Entertainment

  I'm spending a quiet sunday morning playing games. I got tired of
sorting thru disks and decided to copy AAofW to my hard disk with
HDUtil. No problems except that it doesn't recognize any campaigns.
The instruction book gives a procedure about making campaign DISKS but
it mumbles something about initializing the disk, so I'm nervous about
trying it. Does anyone know offhand what is going on ?

Thanks

Mike

------------------------------

From: PEABO (12083)
Subject: RE: Ancient art of war (Re: Msg 12073)
Date: 24-AUG 18:55 Games and Entertainment

Maybe it doesn't know much about HFS ... you might try putting the program and
the campaigns at the root directory.

peter

------------------------------

From: PEABO (12096)
Subject: Thunderscanned Mice
Date: 25-AUG 01:04 Creative Pursuits

I got caught by the same Thunderscan problem you did a while ago, and
I'm glad I finally remembered your trouble!  I checked the 1:1
setting, I cleaned my mouse, and nothing seemed to get it back to
normal speed!  Then it hit me ...

DON'T EVER LEAVE YOUR THUNDERSCANNER IN THE SCAN POSITION WHEN YOU AREN'T USING
IT!  I flipped the switch and all's well now!

peter

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (12109)
Subject: RE: Thunderscanned Mice (Re: Msg 12096)
Date: 25-AUG 08:16 Creative Pursuits

I believe this is a general problem which also used to show up with MIDI
interfaces.  MUSICWORKS had a utility that would patch the o.s. software to
eliminate the problem.

Ric

------------------------------

From: PEABO (12113)
Subject: RE: Thunderscanned Mice (Re: Msg 12109)
Date: 25-AUG 10:59 Creative Pursuits

In FRIED's case, he had become accustomed to a very sluggish mouse, and wanted
to know how Red Ryder "speeded it up".  All that is required is to open the
serial port the T-scanner is attached to.  I gather than moving the switch to
the PRINT position simply shuts off the flow of data from the scanner adaptor,
which is just as good practically speaking.

peter

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (12115)
Subject: RE: Thunderscanned Mice (Re: Msg 12113)
Date: 25-AUG 13:21 Creative Pursuits

Well, does it have something to do with external clocking of the port, or just
some physical connection??

Ric

------------------------------

From: PEABO (12117)
Subject: RE: Thunderscanned Mice (Re: Msg 12115)
Date: 25-AUG 15:25 Creative Pursuits

Since the device at the other end is an Imagewriter, I don't think there is any
external clocking going on.  I think the scanner adapter sends back data in a
continuous stream at 9600 bps whenever it's in the scan position.  I've had the
whole setup powered down and then up, and the slow mouse comes right back as
soon as I flip the switch back to SCAN.

peter

------------------------------

From: RMORRIS (12097)
Subject: ROM forgeries
Date: 25-AUG 01:29 Hardware & Peripherals

Just got offered an upgrade to the new 128K HFS ROM's for $80 installed. The
catch: They are not exactly what one would call "authorized" copies. I am a bit
hesitant to screw up my geniune Apple 512K board this way. But this IS what
Apple should expect when the prices are too high and the availability is too
low.

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (12120)
Subject: OK, Microsoft.....
Date: 25-AUG 22:47 Mousing Around

I make fun of a lot of companies, esp. the larger, more conservative places,
but to be fair when a large firm makes a smart, honest move, I think I should
point it out.
According to today's InfoWorld, Ashton-Tate (re: Ashcan-Pate) has announced
they will be removing all copy-protection from their products, _including_
the not as yet shipped Dbase Mac database!  Speaking of Lotus' announcement
last week to remove copy-protection form it's products only for high-volume
buyers, Edward Esber, pres. of Ashton-Tate said,"If current copy protection
technology is obtrusive, it is obtrusive for all users on any machine."

Way to go, A-P!

Note: Another story in this issue features a picture of John Sculley and
Philippe Borland together, to announce Mac Turbo Pascal coming out Nov. 15.
A brief note is made of "the controversial software developer, who had
previously been highly critical of the Macintosh." Introductory price listed
at $99.95.

Alf

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (12144)
Subject: RE: OK, Microsoft..... (Re: Msg 12120)
Date: 26-AUG 22:56 Mousing Around

Maitreya Design beats Ashcan-Pate at its own game
    A spokesmammal for Maitreya Design today announced that Maitreya has
dropped copy protection on over a dozen unreleased products.  "We're sure our
customers will appreciate this move."  He declined to state when those products
would actually ship, and when asked why the sales literature had no screen
shots, replied, "We don't want the competition to see what we're doing."
    When it was pointed out that Maitreya Design has never used copy protection
in the past, he stated, "That's true, but we figured developers were getting
more publicity out of dropping protection."

Think I should send this message to InfoWorld? :-)

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (12121)
Subject: one more note...
Date: 25-AUG 23:08 Programming

Honestly, I don't get paid a commission by these folks, but....

While placing a small order today with ComputerWare, I asked if they planned to
carry Fedit+ by John Mitchell.  They have it in stock at the present time,
priced at $29.95 (direct from MacMaster Systems is $40).

Let's hear that number again......1-800-235-1155 (1-800-323-1133 CA).

Alf

------------------------------

From: WALBORN (12155)
Subject: ETH Modula-2 Load Modules
Date: 27-AUG 10:28 Programming

To whom it may concern:
     I am interested in writing a linkage editor for the ETH Modula-2
compiler.  Unfortunately, the documentation that I received with the
compiler gives no hint as to the structure of the load modules
generated by the compiler.  If anyone has any information that would
be helpful, please reply here or leave EMAIL to WALBORN.

Thank you,

Gary D. Walborn (WALBORN)

------------------------------

From: RMORRIS (12161)
Subject: HD20 on a MacPlus
Date: 27-AUG 12:45 Hardware & Peripherals

When using a Mac+ with Apple HD20, how do shut the thing down without
the Mac immediately rebooting on the hard drive??? Are the hard
drive's heads put in PARK position just by switching the drive off or
do you have to go through the Shut Down command? How long do you have
to wait after doing Shut Down before the heads are parked?

------------------------------

From: PEABO (12163)
Subject: RE: HD20 on a MacPlus (Re: Msg 12161)
Date: 27-AUG 15:57 Hardware & Peripherals

I always use the shutdown command, then switch off the Mac when the screen
blanks.  Then I switch off the HD-20.

The shutdown command doesn't have anything to do with parking the heads as far
as I know, but it does mark the HFS file system info as cleanly updated. If you
turn off the system (or have a system crash) without doing the shutdown
procedure, the next time you start up there will be a delay while the system
rebuilds the volume allocation map.

peter

------------------------------

From: JOHNCRANE (12164)
Date: 27-AUG 18:52 Hardware & Peripherals

I hold down the mouse button to prevent the rebooting. - John

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (12169)
Subject: RE: HD20 on a MacPlus (Re: Msg 12164)
Date: 27-AUG 20:11 Hardware & Peripherals

Ya, all the above. (I finally started using ShutDown myself).  SuperMac (makers
of Dataframe) say that if you don't turn off the Mac while it's black (ie. if
your screen starts display again after shutdown) you should let it reboot and
then ShutDown again.

Alf

------------------------------

From: DWB (12205)
Subject: RE: HD20 on a MacPlus (Re: Msg 12169)
Date: 29-AUG 09:18 Hardware & Peripherals

SuperMac also claims that the DataFrame does park the heads when you do a
shutdown.  Any hard disk could, you would just have to do the appropriate thing
when you were told to "eject" the disk.

David

------------------------------

From: WESTEN (12175)
Subject: Hard Disk Drive Reliability
Date: 28-AUG 00:27 Mousing Around

This is my first posting- I hope it succeeds! I'm reporting on my
experiences with various hard disk drives for the Macintosh.  I've
sold about 140 DataFrames 20's in my local area in the last few
months.  Out of those 140 drives, I've had about 6 returns.  One drive
experienced a motor failure after about 3 weeks of use.  1 drive was
returned due to shipping damage (damaged media), and one had trouble
getting the motor up to speed.  In addition, I had trouble with 3
other units that had loose termination resistor packs (but these are
easily fixed).  In contrast, in the last 6 months I've sold 9
MacBottoms, and of those I've had 5 failures. 1 had a dead fan
(un-noticed until after the damage had been done and 4 that developed
bad media after a few months of use.  I hear that my MacBottom
experience is a-typical, but I had another one fail 2 days after Ric
Ford mentioned this to me at the MacWorld show!  The median time for a
fix from MacBottom has been about 10 days.  DataFrame has been under 3
days, even when recovering lost data for a customer.  Also, I know of
5 Mirror drives (external).  $ 4 of the 5 have failed, including mine.
The fifth one was returned after 2 hours for a reason unrelated to the
drive.  I hope this information has been useful.

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (12192)
Subject: RE: Hard Disk Drive Reliability (Re: Msg 12175)
Date: 29-AUG 00:53 Mousing Around

Thanks for the report!

It looks like SuperMac (Dataframe) is winning the SCSI market by default. Of
course, they had some trouble with the very early units, but I've yet to hear
of major problems with any of their recent drives.  A local business just
bought 10 Dataframes to go along with 10 512K upgrades and the _removal_ of
10 Hyperdrives.

Alf

------------------------------

From: VINDICATOR (12197)
Subject: RE: Hard Disk Drive Reliability (Re: Msg 12192)
Date: 29-AUG 02:36 Mousing Around

How does the new Dataframe XP (or whatever the new, faster one is
called) compare to the other SCSI drives? And what about the Micah
external 30 Meg? I've about narrowed it down to these two, and I'm not
sure if the XP is so fast as to make up for the 50% less storage. I'm
leaning towards the Micah because of the space, but I'm thinking that
if the XP is lots faster, then maybe I'd go with it. Does anyone have
any thoughts on these two drives?

------------------------------

From: WESTEN (12198)
Subject: RE: Hard Disk Drive Reliability (Re: Msg 12197)
Date: 29-AUG 02:49 Mousing Around

The new DataFrame XP won't be out for another 3 weeks or so, but there
are two versions, the 20 Meg version you allude to and the 40 Meg
version.  At the Boston Mac show the XP was about twice as fast, I'm
told, as the Micah Drive.  Micah, by the way, was present for the
test.
  By the way, the XP requires a modification of your Macintosh
(non-warrentee breaking luckily!).  If you wait the 3-4 weeks, I'll
post a review of the drive.  I have 10 of the XP's on order and I'll
be using one of them myself. CHuck

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (12199)
Subject: RE: Hard Disk Drive Reliability (Re: Msg 12198)
Date: 29-AUG 04:08 Mousing Around

You were told by whom that the DataFrame XP was "about twice as fast" as the
MicahDrive, and that Micah was present for the test?

I'm withholding any speed comparisons until the production MicahDrive AT 30 and
XTs are available, but meanwhile I'd be interested to know who is saying these
things.

------------------------------

From: RICKLEPAGE (12209)
Date: 29-AUG 09:33 Mousing Around

The Dataframe XP comes in 2 flavors - 20 and 40 meg.  I
believe that the 40 meg is $1800, though I cant be too sure.
What we saw of the XP at the show, it was definitely faster,
though I think that we are getting to the point where speed
doesn't matter that much -- the CPU is still gonna hang you.

For instance, the XP launched MS Word in 3 sec., but it still
took an additional 8 seconds to put the Untitled window up
on the screen.  This was about 4 seconds quicker than the
old Dataframe, but does it really make that much difference?

One other point about the XP -- it does modify the inside of your
Mac, with the addition of the (albeit small) card that plugs into
your ROM socket.  We'll have to wait and see how reliable it is.
I would bet that the SuperMac folks have it together, but you
still gotta see.

Rick LePage
MacInTouch

------------------------------

From: PEABO (12218)
Subject: RE: Hard Disk Drive Reliability (Re: Msg 12209)
Date: 29-AUG 15:07 Mousing Around

I think Rick makes a good point about diminishing returns on these faster disks
... however, I'm not sure how to benchmark this kind of thing.  Testing
applications in realistic environmnets also tends to mask the repeatability of
the tests because it uses real files, and allocates real extents all over the
disk rather than in well controlled positions.

peter

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (12222)
Subject: RE: Hard Disk Drive Reliability (Re: Msg 12218)
Date: 29-AUG 17:12 Mousing Around

So far, I've found our MacInTouch benchmarks to be an accurate
representation of speed in day-in/day-out usage of hard drives.  And I
agree strongly with Rick that speed is a very minor issue at this
point.

I just wish the benchmarks could measure reliability.  I have lost more time by
orders of magnitude, to hardware and software crashes than to any performance
differences caused by engineering design.

Ric

------------------------------

From: WESTEN (12226)
Subject: RE: Hard Disk Drive Reliability (Re: Msg 12199)
Date: 29-AUG 19:51 Mousing Around

Steve, the folks at DataFrame reported the results of the test to me of course.
I was standing about 10 feet away at the time though.  The results of the tests
were as follows (please forgive me if I get anything wrong here!). On the Step
test the XP got 262 while the Micah achieved 488-527.  The disk bench 3 test
resulted in 457 for the XP running on a Mac with the DataFrame Enhance.  The
Micah internal got a 507 and the external drive achieved an 860.
  The DataFrame people say the XP will run the Disk Bench 3 test in the low
500's on a regular Mac+. I certainly agree that any real choice ought to await
the drives' final release. By the way, I don't profess any great understanding
of the various bench mark tests that can be performed.  The review I will post
on reciept of the XP's and anything else I get in will focus on crashes and
reliability as well as speeds observed in work that I do.. PS. Steve, if you
remember me, you played a series of my hands at the poker table (black jack) on
the cruise during the Jan. developer conference.  Hi!

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (12235)
Date: 30-AUG 01:03 Mousing Around

The importance of speed is up to the user to decide.  In my role as a
developer of disk software, I am *very* concerned about speed, and
about speed comparisons among drives.  A few customers will put speed
at or near the top of their list, a few will ignore it altogther, and
many will put it somewhere in between. I have no argument with any of
them.  If the disk subsystem is a bouquet, and its data transfer speed
as determined by my software is one of the flowers, I want my flower
to be as pretty as possible regardless of how important it is to any
particular person who sees the bouquet as a whole.  (The access-time
flower is someone else's, so I tend to care less about that.)

The relative speed of a disk subsystem can be measured by a few
numbers -- the kind of numbers that DiskBench provides, although
DiskBench needs some enhancements, which I hope to provide -- *if* it
turns out that all the numbers for disk A are are better than those of
disk B.  In that case, disk A is faster, period, even though we don't
know how much that will mean to the user in his actual work.  If disk
A is faster in one respect and slower in another, then we have no
definitive ranking.

The best consumer benchmark would be the kind of suite that MacInTouch
uses *if* it were always performed in the same hardware/software
context with only the disk subsystem varying.

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (12236)
Subject: RE: Hard Disk Drive Reliability (Re: Msg 12226)
Date: 30-AUG 01:03 Mousing Around

OK -- "twice as fast," then, referred to the access time (head
movement) test on the XP vs. one of the MicahDrives.  On the data
transfer test, the XP Enhance(d) took 53% of the time required by the
prototype MicahDrive XT 30 (or XT 60), and 90% of the time required by
the AT 20.

I expect production version results will vary somewhat, although I
think it will remain true that the new MicahDrives -- at least the
external ones -- will have data transfer results slower than those of
the XP Enchanced. That's a tradeoff for the 30MB vs 20MB (or 60MB vs
40MB) -- I mean to say not merely a tradeoff in the purchaser's view,
but that there are specific technical reasons why a 30MB (RLL) cannot
transfer as fast as a 20MB (MFM).  [Techies: you can't do 1:1
interleave at 7.5Mbits per second as you can at 5.0Mbits/sec.]

I hope you've not suffered too many lapses in judgment as serious as letting me
play your blackjack cards.

End of Delphi Mac Digest

-------