From: MACINTOUCH (12237)
Subject: RE: Hard Disk Drive Reliability (Re: Msg 12236)
Date: 30-AUG 10:46 Mousing Around

The official MacInTouch benchmarks _do_ specify the same hardware/software
context.  Specifically, we start by initializing the hard disk, and copying the
well-defined set of test files in a specific order to the hard disk.  The files
on floppy are maintained in a standard, non-fragmented state.

Standardization problems which have come up in the testing are HFS vs.
MFS and multi-volumes vs. single volumes.  We try to set the hard disk
up as "naturally" as possible -- the Micah as an HFS volume, the Hyper
with an MFS Startup drawer and an HFS applications/data drawer, the
Hard Disk 20 as a single HFS drawer.  These variations are noted on
the test results.

I never got a chance to ask how the DataFrame XP worked.  Did they add a DMA
device or what?  Where does the speed come from?

Ric

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (12250)
Subject: RE: Hard Disk Drive Reliability (Re: Msg 12237)
Date: 30-AUG 21:48 Mousing Around

I don't know yet how the XP Enhanced works (a "plain" XP is just an
external SCSI -- it's the "Enhanced" that adds the PCB inside the
Mac).  I guess they are adding ROM code, sort of the logical
equivalent of moving a MicahDrive AT outside the machine except
leaving its ROM inside.  I keep forgetting to ask Steve Edelman
(SuperMac) but soon I'll stop forgetting.

------------------------------

From: LAMG (12254)
Subject: RE: Hard Disk Drive Reliability (Re: Msg 12197)
Date: 30-AUG 23:29 Mousing Around

I'm told by SuperMac that the DataFrame XP is as fast as the Micah
(internal, I guess)...  I've had a DataFrame 20 since April and have
been very happy with it.  It's been 100% reliable so far.  -Franklin

------------------------------

From: LAMG (12256)
Subject: RE: Hard Disk Drive Reliability (Re: Msg 12209)
Date: 30-AUG 23:33 Mousing Around

Rick: I can't argue with your comment about increases in drive speed
making less of a difference than one would expect.  But I got a chance
to see a Micah internal in action yesterday and was VERY impressed
with its speed, even though my DataFrame is pretty quick.  It's all
relative!

-Franklin

------------------------------

From: LAMG (12257)
Subject: RE: Hard Disk Drive Reliability (Re: Msg 12222)
Date: 30-AUG 23:36 Mousing Around

Ric: Amen to that.  Most of my lost time with the Mac+/DataFrame has
been caused by system crashes of one type or another.  For instance, I
spent one particularly frustrating session trying to cut and paste
text into ReadySetGo from miniWRITER, only to have it crash almost
every time.  Same with MockWrite.  I don't know of ANY problems I've
had due to hardware failure, though it's hard to tell.  -Franklin

------------------------------

From: VINDICATOR (12260)
Subject: RE: Hard Disk Drive Reliability (Re: Msg 12257)
Date: 30-AUG 23:55 Mousing Around

While at the Boston show, this question had occurred to me: apparently few
drives have as much (if at all) software as the Hyperdrive, which is about the
only selling point for the Hyper. While appropriateing Servant (the holy grail)
I noticed that a lot of people were swiping the Hyper software off the disk as
well. Now this is really (REALLY!) more for curiousity than anything, but is
there anything special about Hyper software that precludes it running on the
Micah, Dataframe or whatever?

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (12261)
Subject: RE: Hard Disk Drive Reliability (Re: Msg 12260)
Date: 31-AUG 00:26 Mousing Around

I believe that the Hyper software checks certain things to make sure
it's running on a HyperDrive.  One of the things it _can_ check is the
HyperDrive serial number.  Of course, the HyperDrive software also
goes deep into the guts of the HyperDrive ROM and hardware - I don't
know if there is a real separate layer that corresponds to what you
get on other hard disks or whether it's one big conglomeration of
driver/controller/formatter stuff.

Ric

------------------------------

From: DWB (12264)
Subject: RE: Hard Disk Drive Reliability (Re: Msg 12200)
Date: 31-AUG 06:23 Mousing Around

Actually, Steve, I'm not so sure that it this point in the developement what
with the major slow down being the processor and not the scsi drives that the
important thing isn't really the subjective/apparent speed of the drive and not
how fast it can transfer blocks.

    David

------------------------------

From: MACSPARKY (12267)
Subject: RE: Hard Disk Drive Reliability (Re: Msg 12264)
Date: 31-AUG 07:37 Mousing Around

Any ideas or information about the eventual Apple SCSI hard disk?

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (12238)
Subject: TOPS
Date: 30-AUG 10:52 Business Mac

We're investigating TOPS currently, and should have a review in the next issue
of MacInTouch.  Some of the key things that people have found are
- problems getting the PC card to work on an AT&T 6300 (NETMAN)
- problems when the DMA mode is used on a PC (TWEK)
- No HFS volumes on the PC?
- You can put System, Finder, applications and data on a PC and run it from
a Mac, but it may bomb, if, for instance, you try to Print from MacWrite
in this configuration.

We'll probably hear more from TWEK (Ted King) and NETMAN (Jon Oski) here, but
if you've got a specific question, please send them a message in MAIL.

Ric Ford
"MacInTouch"

------------------------------

From: NOFAL (12240)
Subject: Hierarchical Database?
Date: 30-AUG 15:44 Business Mac

I need a special kind of database for my problem.I need a DB that can have
fields that are some kind of databases by itself or some kind of arrays.Does
someone know about such a DB?
               --Danny

------------------------------

From: MUSICWORKS (12244)
Subject: RE: Hierarchical Database? (Re: Msg 12240)
Date: 30-AUG 19:05 Business Mac

Please Elaborate...

OMNIS 3 Plus has Relational as well as Hierarctical.. (Sort of..) and it has
quite extensive Array capabilities...

Jundi

------------------------------

From: NOFAL (12248)
Subject: RE: Hierarchical Database? (Re: Msg 12244)
Date: 30-AUG 21:12 Business Mac

Well ,the type of DB that I need is quite complex:I need a format of this type:
Name of Costumer List of checks used(no definite lenght) And some calculations
on this lists of checks. I must be able to look for the name ,date ,and result
of the calculations. Wow!

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (12262)
Subject: RE: Hierarchical Database? (Re: Msg 12248)
Date: 31-AUG 00:30 Business Mac

One nice thing about the upcoming dBase Mac program is the ability to support
_multi-valued_ fields!  Also, dBase Mac eliminates the annoying field length
restrictions present in Omnis 3 and Omnis 3 Plus.

Ric

------------------------------

From: NOFAL (12263)
Subject: RE: Hierarchical Database? (Re: Msg 12262)
Date: 31-AUG 01:44 Business Mac

But I need to desing a system that is very user friendly.Does the
dBase Mac have some Toolbox interface in?Does it have any other
interface instead of the old IBM PC interface?
                --Danny

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (12286)
Subject: RE: Hierarchical Database? (Re: Msg 12263)
Date: 1-SEP-08:23: Business Mac

dBase Mac has an outstandingly friendly interface from both the
programmer's and the end user's viewpoints.  While I have not used it
myself yet, it seemed to be that it was a _Mac_ program in the best
tradition.

Ric

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER (12293)
Date: 1-SEP-13:03: Business Mac

Danny,
        Double Helix's "subforms" capacity effectively allows you to
display fields that are, themselves, lists.  Is this what you're
looking for?
                ^    - Lofty

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER (12295)
Date: 1-SEP-13:05: Business Mac

I think either Omnis 3 or Double Helix would let you do what you want.  Either
would require a little programming, not very hard to do. - Lofty

------------------------------

From: SRS (12247)
Subject: INVENTORY PROGRAM
Date: 30-AUG 21:09 SIG Business

I AM LOOKING FOR A GOOD INVENTORY PROGRAM FOR 512 MAC. DOES ANYONE HAVE ANY
RECOMMENDATIONS.
                 SRS

------------------------------

From: NOFAL (12249)
Subject: International Modem
Date: 30-AUG 21:15 Telecommunicating

I want to buy another modem(mine being a Racal-Vadiac ICC 300) that is capable
of 1200 baud (and possibly 2400).The problem is that I need CCITT compatibility
at the three speeds.I understand that the protocols are:V.21(300), V.22 (1200),
V22 bis (2400). I have to buy it in USA(not Europe).Any information?
               --Danny

------------------------------

From: DWB (12276)
Subject: RE: HFS Backup 1.1 (Re: Msg 9831)
Date: 31-AUG 22:47 Business Mac

For those of you that care, I finally found out what my problem with HFS Backup
is.  If I run it with TMon installed I get a bomb #27 when it gets ready to ask
for Backup #1 back.  Without TMon it runs fine.  Long and short of it is that
when I get ready to do a backup I reboot off of a floopy that doesn't have TMon
as it's startup application and everything works fine.

David

------------------------------

From: LAMG (12278)
Subject: RE: HFS Backup 1.1 (Re: Msg 12276)
Date: 31-AUG 23:23 Business Mac

I'm not sure if it's true, but I've always felt safer running HFS Backup from a
startup floppy even without TMon installed, especially when backing up the
entire volume.    -Franklin

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (12303)
Date: 1-SEP-21:48: Business Mac

Daves,
    I have TMON as my startup application, and have never had trouble
with HFS Backup.  I'm sure it's not TMON at fault; it may be an EUA.
Or more likely, there's an amount of memory which HFS Backup needs,
which is larger than what it checks for when it starts.

------------------------------

From: DWB (12305)
Subject: RE: HFS Backup 1.1 (Re: Msg 12303)
Date: 1-SEP-21:57: Business Mac

I have a monster mac.  It is highly unlikely that the 60 or 70k or so that tmon
steals would make a difference.  HFS Backup still has much more than 1.5 meg to
play with.  It may very well be the EUA I'm using which I believe is version
665.  The exact configuration which doesn't work is:
Monster Mac
New Rom's/800K disk drive
Levco SCSI card
DataFrame 20 or off the wall SASI drive using Levco's driver or my driver
TMon + EUA #665
HFS Backup 1.1B5
The only thing that seems to make a difference is not loading TMon.  I haven't
tried not using the EUA or using a different version of it.

David

------------------------------

From: DHIREN (12284)
Subject: FullPaint ...
Date: 1-SEP-02:47: Games and Entertainment

For anyone who is interested ...

Ann Arbor Softworks is now shipping FullPaint un-copy-protected !!!

        Hats off to them ...

They also signed a deal with Esoft to bundle ColorPrint with FullPaint.  They
just don't throw it in the box, They have written a special manual, with
instructions on how to best use FullPaint with ColorPrint.  For any one who is
interested in doing color work, you shold have a look at this combo.  I don't
know of anything better !!!

Dhiren Fonseca About Macintosh ...
   A Users Group ... Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada.

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (12309)
Subject: Laser+ Memory
Date: 2-SEP-01:42: Hardware & Peripherals

The question came up in CO this past Sunday about remaining memory in the
Laser+ on initialization.  Checking with Adobe's Font Downloader on my Laser+
gives:

"Available bytes of memory: 173644"

What about a non-plussed (pun obviously intended) Laser?

Alf

------------------------------

From: PEABO (12310)
Subject: RE: Laser+ Memory (Re: Msg 12309)
Date: 2-SEP-01:51: Hardware & Peripherals

LaserWriter- shows 182100 bytes on paper, 181904 when displaying to
the screen.  After printing using the standard Apple LaserPrep, it
shows 142812 and 142484 on screen.

Actually, upon trying it a few times, I see the numbers vary from one try to
another, but not very much.

peter

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (12316)
Subject: Big Mac Screens
Date: 2-SEP-19:04: Hardware & Peripherals

         THE NOT-RADIUS NOT-SCREEN SAGA CONTINUES!

According to the September 1 issue of InfoWorld (ya..ya, but they were at the
showing! grin):

The Radius Full Page Display (catchy name) is a $1995 8 1/2 x 11 inch screen
for the Macintosh.  So, despite earlier reports, it really isn't 19 feet tall
and round.  Then again, there's always the Radius Full World Display....

All The News In Fits,
Alf

[ moderators note:  I saw the Radius FPD at MacExpo (in their "private"
showing.)  It is *really* nice and crisp.  Not only that, you *still* get to
use the Mac screen!  As you drag a window across the display it will start
to overlap with the Mac screen, you can split the window across displayes.
Or say you wanted to keep you scrapbook open on the Mac display and then
use the FPD to display a full page of text.  Radius offers a "technote" to
any developer who wants their program to be Radius "aware".  Most any program
written "properly" will have no problem on the FPD.  On the Mac+ they've
even managed to put a resize box on a window that was written WITHOUT a
resize box!   Jeff ]

------------------------------

From: PEABO (12332)
Subject: RE: HD20 Boot problem
Date: 2-SEP-21:21: Network Digests

>Date: Fri, 22 Aug 86 9:33:42 EDT
>From: Meredith Lesly <mlesly@labs-b.bbn.com>
>Subject: HD20 Boot problem

>I am in deep @*#& and would appreciate any help someone might have to offer.

I think your HFS system has become confused as to which folder is the
"Blessed Folder".  You should boot up under a floppy system, select the
System and Finder of the hard disk system, drag them to any other folder
on the disk, then drag them back and Shutdown.  That ought to fix it.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (12333)
Subject: LaserWriter memory
Date: 2-SEP-21:22: Hardware & Peripherals

I found the reference to the different size Laser Prep in The Aldus File #1.1.

"The LaserWriter has 1.5 million bytes of RAM memory available.  Of this, 324K
is available virtual memory (VM), less 90K if you are using the maximum image
area.

"Out of the remaining 234K, subtract 55K (if you are using a
LaserWriter) or 45K (if you are using a LaserWriter Plus) for
LaserPrep...  Subtract another 74K/56K for Aldus Prep...  The
PostScript/PageMaker required overhead is 84K. This configuration
leaves about 21K/49K memory available -- not enough memory for any
downloadable fonts on the LaserWriter, but enough room for one
downloadable font on the LaserWriter Plus.

"To increase available LaserWriter memory, turn the printer off, then
on again after printing with standard Macintosh applications.  This
purges Laser Prep and frees up an additional 55K/45K to use for two or
more downloadable fonts."

------------------------------

From: PEABO (12334)
Subject: RE: reaction to wordhandler
Date: 2-SEP-21:43: Network Digests

>Date: 28 Aug 86 14:06:00 EDT
>From: <bouldin@ceee-sed.ARPA>
>Subject: reaction to wordhandler

>This is from a friend who tried out Wordhandler, a new word processor
>for the Mac:

>        Touted as a replacement for MacWrite, the vendors guarantee you'll
>like their program or your money back (within fifteen days). They also
>offer a special discount price if you send in your MacWrite disk, "You can
>have it back if you don't agree WordHandler is better".
  [... remarks about unsuitability omitted ...]
>So, I sent it back and asked for my MacWrite disk back. Reply from ALS:
>"We don't refund the special discount deal", and if I want my original
>MacWrite disk back, "Send $25 for shipping and handling".

Seems to me that a money-back guarantee is a money-back guarantee, period.
I think they probably just need a bit of yelling at.

While we are on the subject of sleaziness, did you notice that ALS nowhere
mentions the fact that by sending them your MacWrite disk, you forfeit the
right to run MacWrite at anytime in the future?  That's your MASTER DISK you
are sending to them.  They also don't want you to send the manual (not that
you need a manual to run MacWrite :-)).  Sleazy.

peter

------------------------------

From: DWB (649)
Subject: RE: Need help with LightSpeed C (Part II (Re: Msg 640)
Date:  19-AUG 21:45 Programming Techniques

The following code fragment works fine for me, assuming that XferName is a
PString containing the name of the application to launch:

Teleport()
{
        SetVol((char *) 0, XferRN);
        Launch(0, XferName);
}

Oh, by the way, XferRN is the reference number of the drive containing the
application to be launched.

David

------------------------------

From: SPERRAZZA (659)
Subject: RE: Need help with LightSpeed C (Part II (Re: Msg 637)
Date:  23-AUG 21:43 Programming Techniques

You are right. ResumeProcs don't seem to work with ID=26 errors. When I forced
an address error, the resume button was highlighted.

------------------------------

From: RANDOM (650)
Subject: RE: Aztec C future (Re: Msg 647)
Date:  19-AUG 21:50 Tools for Developers

Well, the Byte articles that mentioned Objective C seemed pretty
positive, also (although when I went back and read the references
carefully, you -could- interpret the comments as referring to a
cross-compiler or cross-preprocessor than runs on a different
machine). Maybe their sales department isn't communicating with their
development force, or maybe they just want to keep people like me out
of their hair until they are really ready to market it...I don't know.
But here is a quote from the response I got to a letter I wrote
enquiring about Objective C and MacApp: "At this time, we do not have
firm plans to port to the Mac. Your name will be entered into our
database, and you will be notified if we do release a Macintosh
product." and it is signed Stacey A.  Wildenberg, Sales Administrator.

I don't know what the real story is. They don't say they -won't- port
it, it just seems less definite than I originally believed. But people
have told me they received very positive signals from people within
PPI, so who knows? I was worried at first because I thought this was
the only chance to interface C to MacApp, but now I can see that
everybody and his brother is going to interface to it, so I'll have a
choice, whether or not PPI decides to enter the Mac market (which I
hope they do). -Dennis D.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (651)
Subject: RE: Aztec C future (Re: Msg 625)
Date:  19-AUG 22:08 Tools for Developers

C+- is a C++ subset being developed at Apple.  malloc() and free()
aren't Memory Manager calls.  I'm talking HLock() and stuff like that
that you need all the time writing segmented DAs.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (652)
Subject: RE: Aztec C future (Re: Msg 645)
Date:  19-AUG 22:09 Tools for Developers

Source level.  You could type in C statements and it would execute them.

I think Jim said that C+- would be a separate product, that would be available
to current owners at a reasonable price (given the fact that Deathstar Corp.
wants $50/copy).

------------------------------

From: PEABO (653)
Subject: RE: Aztec C future (Re: Msg 650)
Date:  19-AUG 22:11 Tools for Developers

For whatever it's worth, here's the name of the guy:

 Kurt Schmucker
 Technical Director
 Productivity Products International, Inc.
 27 Glen Road
 Sandy Hook, CT  06482

peter

------------------------------

From: MARSHG (654)
Subject: SICN use
Date:  20-AUG 19:20 Programming Techniques

Can somebody point me to documentation on SICN resources.  ResEdit and
diskinfo use/support them but I can't find any documentation on their
format or use.  Any pointers would be appreciated. Marsh

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (655)
Subject: RE: SICN use (Re: Msg 654)
Date:  20-AUG 22:03 Programming Techniques

The fact that ResEdit supports them should be good enough
documentation.  I found out by creating one and looking at it.
They're like ICN#s; don't remember the exact size right now but I
think it's 16x16.  If you need it, I'll send my plotSICN routine from
DiskInfo.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (657)
Date:  21-AUG 23:48 Programming Techniques

PlotSICN(sicnRect,sicn,sicnNum) Rect *sicnRect; Handle sicn; word sicnNum; {
        BitMap sicnBits;

        /* Make sure SICN is there */
        LoadResource(sicn);
        /* Set up the bit map */
        sicnBits.rowBytes = 2;
        sicnBits.bounds.top = sicnBits.bounds.left = 0;
        sicnBits.bounds.bottom = sicnBits.bounds.right = 16;
        sicnBits.baseAddr = *sicn + (sicnNum * 32);
        /* Copy in the sicn */
                CopyBits(&sicnBits,&Dp->dCtlWindow->portBits,
			 &sicnBits.bounds,sicnRect,srcCopy,NIL);
}

------------------------------

From: PEABO (656)
Subject: Undo in a famous editor
Date:  21-AUG 19:37 Tools for Developers

I was just looking at the MDS 2.0 Upgrade order form that arrived last
week, and I see that it talks about "an improved editor that supports
Undo and up to 9 windows".

peter

------------------------------

From: TJPOWDERLY (660)
Subject: trap vectors
Date:  24-AUG 14:48 Programming Techniques

TJPOWDELRY here, looking for addresses pointed to by trap vectors on
the old 128k macs. These vectors are what is often called 'A' traps, a
special feature of the 68000. When the processor finds the high nibble
to be 1010, it can handle it specially. Macs use a vector table, these
vectors point into the $400000- $4ffffff range and THESE addresses are
what I'm looking for. I need printed form or real ASCII textfiles. Is
there a book that contains them? Looking in the roms is useless, the
68000 code set is so full that garbage will disassemble to look like
viable code! Just dumped 50$ on two 'tech' refs, does INSIDE MAC tell
me what I need? regards tjp

------------------------------

From: PEABO (661)
Subject: RE: trap vectors (Re: Msg 660)
Date:  24-AUG 18:41 Programming Techniques

Apple discourages people from trying to find out the addresses of trap
routines, because the addresses change from one ROM to another, and
also can be overridden by patch code when the system boots (to correct
errors in the ROM).

What are you trying to accomplish?  Maybe there's a more direct way to find out
what you need to know.

peter

------------------------------

From: JIMH (662)
Subject: RE: trap vectors (Re: Msg 661)
Date:  24-AUG 18:59 Programming Techniques

Peter, Scott Knaster mentions in his book one valid way to do it is to
use gettrapaddress to get the trap address at run time then jump
directly to the trap.  AS he says Apple guarantees this address wont
change while your program is running.  I wrot e an article on it for
apple dayton newsletter last night.  all ya gotta do is get the
address and write new glue routines to take it as an argument and call
the trap routine at that address. what follows is the glue for bittst
and bitset.

XDef NoTrapBitTst
XDef NoTrapBitSet

.TRAP   _Debugger               $A9FF

;Function NoTrapBitTst(BytePtr:Ptr;BitNumber:LongInt,TrapAddress): Boolean;

NoTrapBitTst

        Move.L  4(SP),A0
        Move.L  (SP)+,(SP)
        JMP     (A0)

;Procedure BitSet(TrapAddress,BytePtr:Ptr;BitNumber:LongInt);

NoTrapBitSet

        Move.L  4(SP),A0
        Move.L  (SP)+,(SP)
        JMP     (A0)

End

except my pascal calls are wrong i just noticed the trap address is
moved to tha last arguement so it can be lifted off the stack without
moving anything else.  In a small test routine that calls bittst
10,000 times the dispach table call takes 54 ti cks while the
nondispach version takes 38.  a small improvement but sometimes
worthwhile.  I have know people to do a lot more conviluted things to
save less time.  jim

------------------------------

From: PEABO (663)
Subject: RE: trap vectors (Re: Msg 662)
Date:  24-AUG 20:44 Programming Techniques

That's certainly a valid way to get the address (and a good reason to
do so in a time critical environment).  I wasn't sure why TJPOWDERLY
needed the trap addresses, but it sounded like he was looking for a
document that you might call "Inside Macintosh ROM", which doesn't
exist.  If it turns out that he really wants to know how the ROM
works, I'll point him in the direction of MacNosy.

peter

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD (666)
Date:  25-AUG 04:17 Programming Techniques

The Trap table is indeed documented in Inside Macintosh!  see page
I-87.  _Also_ _note_: with GetTrapAddress and SetTrapAddress you can
do all the patching you want to in a portable manner.

The trap table itself was packed into a 15-bit shifted offset table in
a futile but vainglorious attempt to conserve RAM in the 128K (nay, do
we hear 64K?) Mac.  The Macintosh Plus, as documented somewhere
(probably Tech Notes 57 & 57a), has an _unpacked_ trap table, with
twice(?) as many entries.

There are some Public Domain programs, especially DA's, which will display the
addresses of the Traps on 128K or 512K Macs.  I'm sure I could dig one out and
Delphi EMail it to you if you wanted.

_Laird

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (667)
Subject: Memory Manager glue in Aztec C
Date:  26-AUG 00:12 Tools for Developers

Lofty,
    Here's the glue I keep forgetting to send you.  It doesn't save to memerr
(which was a global with an A5 offset).

#asm
        public  BlockMove_
BlockMove_: