Date: Fri 19 Sep 86 09:05:28-PDT
From: David L. Edwards <DLE@SRI-STRIPE.ARPA>
Subject: HFS Backup

I am posting this message for a friend.  Please address replies to me and I
will forward them to him.		-dle

To: julian@riacs.ARPA (Julian E. Gomez)
Subject: Re: HFS Backup help needed

> Has anyone picked apart the file formats and naming schemes for
> HFS Backup files? I would like to recover files without the
> directory file this program writes.

If you don't have very many to do, I found a trick that works.  Say
you want to restore a file named "foo".  Create an empty file named
"foo" and tell HFS Backup to back it up (Back up selected files).  Now
replace "{foo}" on this new backup disk with "{foo}" from the old
backup disk.  Lastly, use the new backup disk to restore "foo", and
tell HFS backup to overwrite (the empty file) when it asks.

I used this to recover files from a backup that had a damaged directory.
It gets a bit tedious if you have more than a few files, but it works.
I haven't tried it with files that require more than one disk.

        -Reid A. Larson

------------------------------

Subject: What does reset do?
Date: 17 Sep 86 16:37:39 EST (Wed)
From: "Steven B. Munson" <sbm@purdue.edu>

Warning:  This question is not as dumb as it looks at first.

     According to the 68000 manual, executing the reset instruction
asserts the reset line to clear all the devices on the bus.  When the
processor sees the reset line asserted, it does a special trap, setting
PC to the value in the first longword of memory (location 0) and SP to
the second longword.  In other words, it causes the 68000 to reboot
exactly as if the reset button had been pressed.  Sure enough, executing
a reset instruction on a Macintosh reboots it, and I am sure it is the
easiest and safest way I have seen to do it.  However, locations 0 and 4
usually contain the character constant 'FOBJ' and the long integer -1,
respectively, neither of which is either a valid PC or SP.  Furthermore,
these locations can be changed, although the manual says that they
should be ROM locations, to make the reset trap safe.  So the question
is, what does reset do on a Macintosh, and has Apple changed the
microcode in the 68000?

					Steve Munson
					sbm@Purdue.EDU
					sbm@Purdue.CSNET

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 86 13:48 PDT
From: PUGH%CCX.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: LightSpeed Pascal

Well, here are my comments on Lightspeed Pascal (as if anyone really needs
convincing).

I love it!  Finally, the ability to have seperate compilation units.  I have
had TML Pascal 2.0 on order for a month now, and this is their first version
to promise units, but in the time I have been waiting for it, Lightspeed has
arrived and I doubt if I care about TML anymore (although the object
extensions have piqued my interest).  The debugger is truly amazing.  I can't
wait to write a buggy program so that I can use it's power (did I really say
that?).  The manual is well written and organized, in addition to being
comprehensive.

Now for the bad parts.  I have a VAX Pascal 1.2 program that I aim to port to
the Mac.  It is full of Lib$ and CLI$ routines.  These crashed Lightspeed's
editor four times in a half hour.  Pissed me off.  I finally took the source
back to QUED and edited all the stuff out there before letting Lightspeed eat
it.  I have seen several other weird things go on in their editor.  I think
this may be one place they need to concentrate their efforts.

There is also no VALUE section and no way to initialize data.  This means that
all units that have local data must have a INITSHIT routine.  This pisses me
off too.  A recommendation, if I may (who's to stop me?), is that the Value
section should be available for data loading, and an INITIALIZE keyword
available for one routine in each unit, which Lightspeed could call right
after it initializes the Toolbox (which it does automatically, but you can
disable that).  The VAX Pascal compiler had both these capabilities (where do
you think I heard of them and why do you think I want them) and I found them
to be very useful in making clearer and cleaner programs.  Actually, either
capability would suffice, but I think the combination would be not be
difficult to do.

By the by, my game is going to require synchronization between Macs over
Appletalk.  Does anyone know how Mazewars does this or have any ideas they
would like to verbalize (emailize)?  I have some ideas of my own but I'm not
quite far enough along to test them yet.  I am more than willing to talk about
it though...

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 14 Sep 86 12:51:16 edt
From: rs4u@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel)

I'm not sure if this is a bug, or what...

I am working on a large project on a 512K Mac, two 400K drives with Lightspeed
Pascal v1.0. (Is there a later one??) Anyway, I made some modifications to one
of the modules of my program by loading the file independently, without having
loaded the project file. Not a good move. Then, I loaded the project file and
chose "Go", figuring that Lightspeed would notice the modified file and recompile
it. but no, it went ahead and ran the program, and almost instantly I get a
bug box that says "The System Zone has been damaged. Proceed with caution."
I click on it, it goes away, then I get another bug box that says "The Lightspeed
Zone has been damaged. Proceed with caution." Then I get another box that says
"The Application Zone had been damaged. Proceed with caution." I've seen the
bugbox for System and Application zones, but what's this "Lightspeed Zone"?
Somehow I get the feeling that some tricky Memory Manager work is being done
here, and that is why Lightspeed is able to have such great control over your
program (debugging, etc.).

Anyway, I quit and rebooted normally, started lightspeed pascal, re-built my
project, and the program crashed! So what I did was write down the build order
and the segmentation of my program, delete the project file, and re-create the
whole thing from scratch. And now it works.

Has anyone else gotten a crash like this?
It would be rather interesting if Think could comment on some of their technique.
Of course, stuff like this is probably proprietary, but who knows?

                    -Rich

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 86 19:52 pst
From: "pugh jon%e.mfenet"@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: New ROM Sysalerts

Does anyone have the SysAlert resource that works on the new ROMs?  Could
you please post it if you do.  I know BMUG has it, but I can't get them to
post it on their board either.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 86 09:36:05 EDT
From: Mike O'Dell <mo@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Subject: C Compilers and HFS

Why is it that all the C compilers I have seen seem to have been built
by people who have never seen, or at least, appreciated, real C compilers?
By this, I mean Unix C compilers.  In particular, none of them have the
equivalent of the -I flag.  Even before HFS, it was a pain in the tail
to have to juggle things about simply because of brain-damage in the
way they handled

	#include <foo>
and
	#include "foo"

I harped at Megamax about it, and later I harped at THINK about it,
and they both reacted like I was speaking Martian.  To me, it appeared
they had NO IDEA what I was talking about.  Well, at the time, with no
directories, maybe to the uninitiated, it wasn't obvious that the
search path mechanism was useful (WRONG!), but now, with HFS, the
facility is MANDATORY.  I organize things into source and include file
directories, mainly because the header files are often shared between
code in more than one source directory (one source directory (pardon,
"folder") per application in a suite of programs).  Even more importantly,
if you are doing group development, it would be very convenient to
publish include files and exported object files on a common fileserver
so everyone will be building against the right ones.

So, have any of the compilers (and their associated tools)
finally come out of the dark mire of flat-filesystem myopia and
I have missed this important development, or is everyone still
muddling along with Software Engineering the furthest thing from
anyone's mind??

	-Mike O'Dell

PS - This obviously applies to -l flags on loaders, too.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 86 21:12:51 edt
From: Greg Duckworth <mit-erl!gld@EDDIE.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re:  Versaterm  Send Stream

Versaterm can, in fact abort "send stream" in mid-stream.  Try the
familiar ctl-. command that almost all MAC programs use to abort
printing and the like.

------------------------------

Date: 17 Sep 86 14:21:00 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #76

Usenet Mac Digest         Wednesday, 17 September 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 76

Today's Topics:
     MCS AS BBS Please?
     HFS Backup help needed
     Re: Warning about More
     Window definition routines
     Re: DataFrame 20
     Re: Apple SCSI HD20
     Re: DataFrame 20
     MacDraft bug?
     Re: MCS AS BBS Please?
     Re: Easy of programming, Mac, Amiga
     Re: Easy of programming, Mac, Amiga
     Re: Easy of programming, Mac, Amiga
     Re: Porting UNIX Applications to the Mac
     Re: Porting UNIX Applications to the Mac
     Re: Porting UNIX Applications to the Mac
[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-76.ARC

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 86 17:18:29 cdt
From: Harvard Townsend <harv%kansas-state.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: Colormate using networked printer

We are having problems getting Colormate by SoftStyle to print color MacPaint
documents on an ImageWriter II on Appletalk.  We cannot get it to print
anything.  Colormate gives the impression that it is printing, but nothing
is printed.  The printer prints the color test pattern OK.  The person I
talked to at SoftStyle didn't think it would work with Appletalk, so I was
wondering if anyone knew of a way to get this to work?  Thanks.

Harvard Townsend, Systems Administrator
Kansas State University, Dept. of Computer Science
Manhattan, KS 66506   (913)532-6350
CSNET:	harv@kansas-state -or- harv%kansas-state@csnet-relay.arpa
			  -or- harv%kansas-state@relay.cs.net
BITNET: harv@ksuvax1.bitnet -or- harv%ksuvax1.bitnet@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
UUCP: ihnp4!ltuxa!ksuvax1!harv

------------------------------

Date: Wed 17 Sep 86 19:31:35-PDT
From: Spencer Nassar <A.Spencer@GSB-WHY.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Dangerous Excel Bug

Greetings MacUsers,

The September issue of MacUser points out a dangerous bug in Microsoft
Excel.  If you type a 'cntl-'period'' while saving an Excel file
ALL versions (edited AND the one on disk) will be lost.  This command
works in most other Mac applications to stop the current activity...
don't use it in Excel when saving a document!

Spencer

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 86 11:16:01 EDT
From: Meredith Lesly <mlesly@labs-b.bbn.com>
Subject: SCSI drives (again)

My department is interested in getting a couple of SCSI drives.  My first
inclination was to get Dataframes, but with the HD20 SCSI announced (wasn't
it?) I'm not sure what the right thing is.  There are some politics involved,
unfortunately, as we've recently had serious trouble with third part
(party) software (Hyperdrive, of course), and can't afford another third-
party failure.

Any opinions, suggestions, information re HD20 SCSI availability would be
most appreciated.

meredith lesly
ARPA:  mlesly@bbn-labs-b

"The usual disclaimers apply, and then some..."

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 86 08:54 PDT
From: Wahl.ES@Xerox.COM
Subject: Mac Disk Problem

Let me tell you my problem:

My Mac Plus (internal drive), only 6 months old, started having sporadic
trouble reading double-sided disks, a while ago. Now it won't read any
double-sided but has no problem with single-sided.  Sounds like
something simple like head readjustment, right?

I finally found someone who'll service it.  I told him the above and he
told me I'd have to have the drive replaced: $50 labor plus $120 for the
drive.  Is it just me, or is this exorbitant?

--Lisa

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 86 09:19:23 -0300
From: Shimon Cohen  <cohen%taurus.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Digest, Journaling, MS Basic woes

Hello everybody,

Few things (see if you can help me in one of these ...)

* Delphi Digest -
How can I get the  Delphi digest directly to me ? I want to 'subscribe'
to it, it is impossible for me to FTP to Stanford files.

*  Journal - I need a program that let you prepare a demo
and "guide tours" (see the MAC guide tour that you get when you buy a new
MAC). I  think it is called "JOURNAL", do you know anything about it ?

* In Microsoft BASIC there is a command called PICTURE that
let you take a picture made by MacDraw and display it in a Window.
The picture is displayed in a rectangle, to get zoom and focus effects
the idea was to give it negative coordinates BUT BASIC did not like it ...

PICTURE (-100,-200)-(300,250),p$

Any solutions ?

Shimon Cohen

[ note from moderator:  I don't know how to receive DELPHI DIGEST by
subscription but it may be possible, I don't know. Regarding the journaling
driver, etc. you may request this software by sending requests to:
   SUZANNE ROSE, APPLE COMPUTER, MS 3-A, 20525 MARIANI AVE,
   CUPERTINO, CA 95014   ATTN:JOURNALING            ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed 17 Sep 86 12:21:06-PDT
From: Marvin Zauderer <ZAUDERER@Sushi.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: Switcher Questions

   I have a Mac Plus, with System 3.2/Finder 5.3, and I'm trying to run
MacDraw 1.9 (with font menu patch) and Fullpaint 1.0 under Switcher 4.4.

   Now that all the version numbers are out of the way, here are the
problems:

      1. I've tried a few values (default, 256K, etc.), and Fullpaint
doesn't seem to want to run with less than 512K. Can anyone verify this?

      2. MacDraw, when installed with the default values (128K, I think),
comes up with blank "tools". They seem to work; they're just not displayed
in their respective "boxes" at the left of the screen. Any ideas?

Thanks,
Marvin

[ note from moderator: A very recent issue of A+ magazine had a blurb
about how to fix FullPaint so that you can run it in less than 512K
(but not much less). If I can track that down, I'll post it but I thought
someone might like to know in the meantime. DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 16 Sep 86 13:37 CST
From: Dan Stewart <STEWART_SYS%uta.edu@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: MultiMac.

I saw mention of a product called MultiMac on the net the other day.  Can
someone give me some info about it?  Does it allow multiple applications
running simultaneously?  Who makes it?  What systems will it run on and
how expensive is it?

Any information would be appreciated.

Dan Stewart
STEWART_SYS@UTA.EDU

[ note from moderator:  MultiMac is (was) a shell which bears some resemblance
to Servant and allows multiple applications to be run. It really did multi-
tasking (unlike Servant) but since the Mac doesn't really have the support
hardware for such multitasking, a fair amount of CPU time was spent
actually switching between tasks (unfortunately). The last I heard
of MultiMac was last January when reports of Servant were new and the new
ROMS came out. Evidently the author of MultiMac did direct ROM calls which
blew it for compatibility! There was also the problem that MultiMac only
supported Version 1.1g of the Finder and System. I assume that MultiMac
is DEAD since 1) nobody still talks about it and it was a HOT idea/program
and 2) there is no commercial product (which would make TONS of money).
If anyone knows differently than the above, then I'm interested too. DAVEG]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 17 Sep 86 11:54:02 PDT
From: c160-ed%zooey.Berkeley.EDU@BERKELEY.EDU (Norman Fong)

Subject: Backup Software
Sender:  c160-ed@zooey.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP

Public service announcement:
Hard Disk Backup from FWB Software is now shipping.
They are the people who make Hard Disk Util and Hard Disk Partition.

End of INFO-MAC Digest