Date: 20 SEP 86 13:21-N
From: U00131%HASARA5.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: 68000 reset on Macintosh

The ROM/RAM mapping on o Macintosh is controlled by an output
bit from the PIA.
If this bit is clear, ROM is at address 0.
The reset line (either activated by power-on or by the reset
instruction) clears this bit in the PIA.
At this time there is a valid PC at location 0. After RAM
has been initialized, the boot-code sets this bit and the normal
memory mapping (RAM at 0, ROM at 400000) is in effect.

Gijs Mos        gijs@vu44.uucp
                u00131@hasara5.bitnet

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Sep 86 21:12:08 EDT
From: RS_Conto%UB-MTS%UMich-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: 68000 reset instruction

smb@Purdue.EDU was curious how a system reset (through the reset
instruction) on a 68000 could work properly on a Mac given the
things he found out about the relevant memory locations.  While
I don't know about the specifics of the Mac itself, a common means
for this is to have the memory system be reset as well at that time,
and have a ROM in there that takes care of those things.  When the
ROM is done with whatever it has to do (initialize devices, read on
boot sectors, etc.) it tells the 'memory device' to take the rom out
of the address space.

A lot of games like this can (and are) played by many machines.

--- Richard Conto

Mailnet (while it lasts)     Richard_S._Conto@UMich-MTS.Mailnet
Arpanet (for a while)        Richard_S._Conto%UMich-MTS.Mailnet@MIT-Multics.ARPA
     or (soon?)              Richard_S._Conto@um.cc.umich.edu
  (possibly)                 RSCONTO@sdsc.umich.edu

------------------------------

Date: 19 Sep 86 23:38:35 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi & Usenet Digests

Guess it is time to repeat this for the new readers and moderator:  Delphi and
Usenet digests may be subscribed to (one user per site please) by sending
Arpanet mail to the following addresses:

	Delphi-Mac-Digest-Request@Red.Rutgers.Edu
	Usenet-Mac-Digest-Request@Red.Rutgers.Edu

Please note that these digests are basically "read only".  If you wish to
reply to a message either send it to INFO-MAC on the Arpanet or post it to
net.micro.mac on Usenet.  Also, please don't send any postings to both the
Arpanet and Usenet.  It makes the INFO-MAC moderators job and mine harder
(I try to weed out duplicate messages) and wastes resources if either one of
us miss any.

							Jeff

uucp:       ...{harvard, seismo, ut-sally, sri-iu, ihnp4!packard}!topaz!shulman
arpa:       SHULMAN@RUTGERS
Delphi:     JEFFS
GEnie:      KILROY
Compuserve: 76136,667

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Sep 1986 15:41 CST
From: Craig Knelsen  <CRAIG%UREGINA1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Re: C Compilers and HFS

        The Aztec C compiler (Manx Software Systems) has always had the -I
flag since I started using it over a year ago. You also have the option of
setting a variable to the directory to be searched:
eg.
        set include=ram:include;

Or in the compile step:
        cc -iram:include file.c

        The linker also supports the -l flag.

        The Aztec system also comes with a shell and other utilities depending
upon the system (development or commercial) you purchase. The commercial
version includes z (like 'vi') and sources. The most recent release that I am
using is 1.06H which supports HFS and the new 128K ROM calls.

                                                        Craig Knelsen
                                                        University of Regina
                                                        Regina, Saskatchewan
                                                        Canada

UUCP: {ihnp4 | utcsri | alberta} !sask!regina!cknelsen

------------------------------

Date: 20 Sep 86  1027 PDT
From: Tovar <TVR%CCRMA@SU-AI.ARPA>
Subject: Re: Lightspeed...

My experience is with LightspeedC, not the Pascal, but this part is probably
same.  If you edit a file with another editor, then you should do a "Make"
command and select "Use Disk", as at least the C version (fortunatedly) doesn't
check dates on files when first starting up.  (Just imagine what it would be
like if didn't have a hard disk and had files on six different floppies!).  I
don't know about your error messages, but if i were running with a hard disk,
i would have rebooted after the first error.  That remark is not based on naive
paranoia but years of experience (such as constructing file directories before
the advent of /etc/fsck).

I agree about the need for a -I option.  I would find the -D option even more
useful, particularly for turning off and on debugging features.

Speaking of HFS, LightspeedC v1.02 doesn't seem to have the routine in its
library (PBGetCatInfo) used for searching HFS directories.  It also doesn't
have the Zoom box stuff.  Does anyone have a workaround, or do i have to wait
for the next version?

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Sep 86 22:25 N
From: <INFOEARN%HLERUL5.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: RE:MultiMac

MultiMac bears some resemblance to Servant?  I always thought Servant tried to
imitate MultiMac and didn't do too good a job.  If that sounds like sacrilege,
let me explain.

Yes, MultiMac is a true multitasker that lets you run multiple applications
simultaneously.  There are a couple of serious problems, but they don't have
to bother you depending on your needs.  The problems are:

- MultiMac calls the 64K ROM directly, which means it is useless on the new
  128K ROM.  Since the product is no longer (maybe never was) supported, you
  won't ever be able to use it on the Plus.

- MultiMac doesn't work with all applications.  It won't run Finders later
  than 4.1, MacKermit, Red Ryders later than 7.0, Aztec C and a couple of
  other programs.

But the advantages are numerous!

- Programs really run simultaneously.  I've found this most useful for what
  I'm doing now: telecommunicating.  You can up- or download files with
  VersaTerm while doing text editing with Edit and having the Finder at your
  fingertips.  All on one screen like Servant.

- MultiMac is *very* efficient with memory, much more than the Switcher is.
  I can easily have VersaTerm, Edit, Finder, PackIt and Binhex in my 512K.

- MultiMac does it's own disk caching, which speeds up the Mac significantly.
  I also think it modifies all calls to the File Manager to asynchronous ones.
  Copying a file in the Finder takes all of one second; you are given back
  mouse control at once while the actual copying goes on in the background!

- The Clipboard is converted automatically between all applications

- There are many other advantages, but that would be going into detais.

MultiMac was made by Jwa van der Vuurst from Aubrac Systems, but some time ago
it was mentioned on the net that he had stopped working on it and had joined
another company.  As far as I know, the program was never really published.
I'm not sure whether to consider it 'public domain' or not, since I have no
idea to reach Aubrac and find out.

In the meantime I just use it and am very happy.

-- Thomas

   FRUIN@HLERUL5.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 20 Sep 86 10:47:52 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: DiskTimer

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: DISKTIMER
Date: 18-SEP-1986 06:21 by BRECHER

DiskTimer is a hard disk performance benchmark that measures speed of large (
32KB) data transfers and of seeking (head movement).  It does not alter the
contents of the disk, and its results are independent of the Control Panel cache
and file system (independent of file fragmentation, free space, System & Finder
versions, etc.)  Submit results to BRECHER; I will from time to time post the
current list of results for various disk makes and models.

Note re HyperDrive:  disable the HyperDrive cache.  The access time test is
meaningful only if the Startup drawer is over 1MB in size and is contiguous
(grew to 1MB+ before any other drawers were created, or is the only drawer).

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-DISKTIMER.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 20 Sep 86 09:28:58 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #46

Delphi Mac Digest          Saturday, 20 September 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 46

Today's Topics:
     Death of a Mac Analog Board
     Microsoft Basic Compiler
     RE: Microsoft Basic Compiler (Re: Msg 12815)
     New Apple //gs Computer
     serial drivers
     MacInTouch News Flash
     RE: INFO-MAC Digest V4 #115 (Re: Msg 12820)
     RE: Re: Easy of programming, Mac, Amiga
     Re: Micah Failure HELP!
     DiskInfo
     RE: Re: Porting UNIX Applications to the Mac
     My DataFrame 20
     RE: My DataFrame 20 (Re: Msg 12884)
     RE: My DataFrame 20 (Re: Msg 12884)
     RE: My DataFrame 20 (Re: Msg 12884)
     RE: My DataFrame 20 (Re: Msg 12889)
     DiskTimer
     RE: DiskTimer (Re: Msg 12894)
     RE: DiskTimer (Re: Msg 12902)
     HD20 & II GS
     Interesting Laser/Font notes

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV2-46.ARC

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 20 Sep 86 02:02 N
From: <INFOEARN%HLERUL5.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Useful tips 'n tricks with VersaTerm, Edit and Word

VersaTerm *can* be interrupted while performing a Paste or sending out a
stream.  Someone sent me a note after I complained here telling me to simply
type the familiar Command-Period combination.  It works!

There are some interesting options in Microsoft Word that are not mentioned
in the manual.  You can Find and Replace carriage returns, soft returns and
tabs by typing meta characters in the Find and Replace dialog windows.

A caret-n (^n - newline) stands for a soft-return, which you get when you type
a shift-return.

A caret-p (^p - paragraph) stands for a carriage return.

A caret-t (^t - tab) stands for a tab.

There may be other combinations, but I haven't tried those out yet.

MDS Edit has a couple of those features too.  You can easily Find and Replace
tabs by Copying them from your text and Pasting them in the Find/Replace
window.  Somehow you can't do that with a return.  There is a trick that
works though: select a return in your text and then call up the Find window
from the menu.  You will see a little square box in the Find dialog.  Now
Copy it, call up the Find/Replace window and Paste it in the Find or Replace
field, depending what you want to do.  THIS ONLY WORKS ONCE!  After you've
done some searching and replacing you won't be able to Paste a return in the
Find/Replace window!  It's crazy but true.  To repeat the operation you will
have to quit Edit and start it up again.

Good luck,
-- Thomas

   FRUIN@HLERUL5.BITNET

------------------------------

Subject: Switcher Version
Date: Sat, 20 Sep 86 01:09:38 -0800
From: Kathleen Huddleston <gregory@ICSE.UCI.EDU>

The latest version of Switcher that I'm aware of is 4.9  I've had
problems with 4.4 and new ROMs or MacPlus. Anyone still using 4.4 and
having problems may want to get the newer version.

[ note from moderator:  The most recent version I have seen is 5.0B4
and rumor has it that release 5.0 is out. DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 18 Sep 1986 15:17 EDT
From: <IJDG400%INDYCMS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Call for papers

To the Moderator: Please publish this call for papers in the next issue
                  of the newsletter. Thankyou

                   1987 ACADEMIC MICROCOMPUTER CONFERENCE

                               CALL FOR PAPERS

                 DEADLINE FOR SUBMISSION:  NOVEMBER 14, 1986

We would like to take this opportunity to invite you to participate in the
third annual Academic Microcomputer Conference to be held April 20-22,
1987, at the Radisson Plaza Hotel in Indianapolis, Indiana.  This
conference is hosted by Computing Services, Indiana University - Purdue
University at Indianapolis.  Approximately 50 30-minute papers will be
presented in two simultaneous sessions.  The vendor display area adjacent
to the meeting rooms has been expanded for the 1987 conference.  Other
features of the conference include a reception, banquet, keynote speaker,
exchange of public software, and informal birds-of-a-feather meetings.

Below are some suggested topics for papers.

Philosophical, moral, and legal aspects of microcomputer use in academic
   environments
AI and expert systems
Networking
UNIX in an academic setting
Comparative product evaluation
Statistical computing on micros
Applications in the humanities and liberal arts
Public domain software
Hardware peripherals and compatibility
Computer center support of microcomputers
Computer-based training
Training and documentation

Authors whose papers are accepted will be notified of presentation details
at a later date.  So that the Proceedings can be distributed at the
conference, papers must be submitted by late February.

Please send electronically the title of your talk, a short abstract, and
your name and address to John Hewitt,  JSH10194@NORTHWESTERN.MAILNET.

Abstracts should be submitted by November 14, 1986.

General questions about the conference may be directed to the coordinator,

         James Williams, IDTZ400@INDYCMS.BITNET or
                         IDTZ400%INDYCMS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU.

We are looking forward to seeing you at the conference and thank you for
your participation.

1987 Academic Microcomputer Conference Committee

see you at the conference and thank you

End of INFO-MAC Digest