[mod.mac] INFO-MAC Digest V4 #119

INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (Moderator David Gelphman...) (09/24/86)

INFO-MAC Digest          Tuesday, 23 Sep 1986     Volume 4 : Issue 119

Today's Topics:
                          Lightspeed Pascal Bug
                           Errors in TESetText
                        Re: Journaling on the Mac
                       LaserWriter and Mac XL Bomb
                           C compilers and HFS
                             C compilers/HFS
                         DISK DIAGNOSTICS INFO.
                          DA-MINIWRITER-11.HQX
                         Document Mangle Posting
                        Usenet Mac Digest V2 #77
                          Statistical Packages
                   Graphing/Plotting Programs for MAC
                       Re: SCSI drives for the Mac
                           MAC to CMS via 7171
                 Graphics terminal emulator for the MAC?
                              Re: Excel bug
                         More MPNT to PANT stuff
                                  LaTeX
                          The Bible on the Mac

Date: Sun 21 Sep 86 20:38:06-PDT
From: David L. Edwards <DLE@SRI-STRIPE.ARPA>
Subject: Lightspeed Pascal Bug

There is a bug in Lightspeed Pascal where you are unable to enter the debugger
via the 'spray can'.  If you are executing 'ModalDialog', the only way to enter
is via the INTERRUPT switch.

Also, LSP seems to demand to be in full control of memory.  I was showing it
off while running Servant and received a warning that one of the heaps were
screwed up.  This would probably occur with Switcher too and is not
unreasonable but could probably be diagnosed better.

There have been some questions about how LSP creates an application
environment and about the three memory zones... it is all described with
fair detail in Chapter 14 'Inside LSP'.  (You may want to keep IM real
handy...)

-dle

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 21 Sep 1986 23:39 CDT
From: a.d. jensen  <UD040164%NDSUVM1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Errors in TESetText

While using TML Pascal, I have come across the following problem with the
toolbox, which I have yet to solve.  Any help would be appreciated, and
please respond with mail, as I am not yet on the list.  (Will be shortly.)

theString := 'This is text';
TESetText (@theString, length(theString), theText);
TEUpdate (theRect, theText);

As a result of this call, I get the text, but it is preceeded by an extra
control character, which can be deleted, but will show up again the next
time you TESetText.  I tried this both in TML and UCSD Pascal with the
same results.  Once again, thanks in advance for your help.

a.d. jensen        <UD040164%NDSUVM1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Department of Geography
University of North Dakota
Grand Forks, ND  58202

"It's not the end of the world, but you can see it from here."
                                        -- anyone in North Dakota.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 86 12:41:01 PDT
From: gunther.pa@Xerox.COM
Subject: Re: Journaling on the Mac

*  Journal - I need a program that let you prepare a demo
*  and "guide tours" (see the MAC guide tour that you get when you buy a
new
*  MAC). I  think it is called "JOURNAL", do you know anything about it
?

I recently used this facility to demonstrate some of the fine points of
the Switcher to my father, who lives in Australia.

The hack is a as follows.  Use the Resource Mover to convert the
.Journal driver from the Guided Tour disk to a DA. This is achieved by
simply removing the prepended period. When you choose Journal from the
DA menu it will invoke a new menu in the menu bar of whatever
application you are running. I forget the exact item names, but the menu
allows you to select record, stop and playback modes. While journaling,
the Events are recorded in a file with a .jrnl extension.  There are
some gotchas. Invoking additional disk activity while journaling can
upset the Event management of the recording so that synchronization with
the cursor is lost. For example, trying to use the NotePad DA to type
explanations of the demo while in progress, will not work. Moving icons
or windows around after recording will render the demonstration useless.
Some practice will be necessary to use it successfully.

 Neil.

------------------------------

Date: 22 Sep 86 09:01 EST
From: LEUE%nmr.tcpip@ge-crd.arpa
Subject: LaserWriter and Mac XL Bomb

- - - - - - - -
(Bill Leue at General Electric Corporate Research & Development;
 UUCP address is leue!nmr!steinmetz; ARPA address leue!ge-crd)

We have a Mac XL and a LaserWriter.  We are using MacWorks 3.0
(the latest), Finder 5.3, and MacDraw 1.9.  The LaserWriter, in
general, works fine, but we get a consistent Bomb whenever we
attempt to print a document which contains any shape which was
drawn freehand and then smoothed.  Does anyone there have any
information?  I would particularly like to know if this problem
could be unique to the Mac XL environment.

Thanks in advance!

[ note from moderator:  the writer here didn't indicate which LaserWriter
prep and driver file he was using but I recall that there have been problems
with printing MacDraw documents with even the latest driver 3.1. Anyone
know any workaround?  DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Mon 22 Sep 86 10:39:50-PDT
From: Irvin Lustig <OR.LUSTIG@Sierra.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: C compilers and HFS

Versions 4.5 and above of Consulair C have a "Path manager" which
differentiates between library include files <stdio.h> and other
include files "myheader.h".  The path manager allows you to set
up your own search paths for each type of include file.

-Irv Lustig
or.lustig@sierra.stanford.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 86 17:46:57 pdt
From: gould9!joel@nosc.ARPA (Joel West)
Subject: C compilers/HFS

On the list of compilers that understand #include's, directories
and HFS, of course, add MPW.  The rules are:
	1) Same directory as source file
	2) Directories given by -i option (multiple ones allowed.)
	3) The standard include directory, which is
	   ...:MPW:Includes:CIncludes on my system.

	Joel West			     MCI Mail: 282-8879
	Western Software Technology, POB 2733, Vista, CA  92083
	{cbosgd, ihnp4, pyramid, sdcsvax, ucla-cs} !gould9!joel
	joel%gould9.uucp@NOSC.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 19 Sep 1986 09:25 PDT
From: "Dan Calderwood"  <GCO0002%CALSTATE.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: DISK DIAGNOSTICS INFO.

Does anyone have information on disk diagnostic software for the Macintosh to
test Apple 400K disk drives.  Ideally, the software should test radial,
azimuth, and hysteresis alignment and perform read/write tests.

A second request.  Information was posted to this board regarding disk
optimizer software for the Mac.  Would it be possible to have some of that
information reiterated.  In my own stylish way, I misplaced the initial
postings . . .

Any information on these topics would be greatly appreciated!!  Thanks in
advance for your time.

Dan Calderwood
Humboldt State University

[ note from moderator:   the program DISKEXPRESS evidently reorganizes you
disk (HFS disks too) so that fragmentation is reduced. The program is put
out by ALSOFT, PO Box 927,Spring Texas77383  (713)353-4090.  I think it
is about $30   DAVEG]

------------------------------

Date: 22 Sep 86 22:22:12 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: DA-MINIWRITER-11.HQX

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: MINIWRITER PACKAGE
Date: 21-SEP-1986 09:40 by DDUNHAM

[ Updated 21-SEP-1986 05:14 by DDUNHAM to 1.1. New features include
faster Undo, the ability to open files over 30K, better printing
options (including PostScript), and better Servant compatibility. If
you've already paid for an earlier version, this one is free. ]

miniWRITER(tm) is a TEXT-processor desk accessory with Undo and deluxe
printing at draft speed.  In addition to the desk accessory itself,
this package contains the following files:

miniWRITER.doc describes the miniWRITER desk accessory.  It's in MacWrite 2.2
format.  miniWRITER.appendix goes into detail on ImageWriter printing. Part of
the miniWRITER(tm) package.

imageWRITER font.  Use with miniWRITER desk accessory for what-you-see-is-what-
you-get printing at draft speed.

Two templates for printing envelopes with miniWRITER.  For best
results, install the imageWRITER font before using them.  These
templates work with the ImageWriter printer.

A ResEdit TMPL (template) resource useful for customizing the miniWRITER desk
accessory is included in the "suitecase file."

Copyright (C) 1986 Maitreya Design. SHAREWARE.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-MINIWRITER-11.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 19 Sep 86 08:30 EST
From: CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Document Mangle Posting

Below is Version Beta 1.0 of the Document Mangle program.
This is a combination of the Font Changer, Ruler Changer plus
some added features.  The File is BinHex4.0 and PackitED.
I am calling this version Beta only because it hasn't been
tested in-house as much as I would like, so please report any
bugs that you find.

I only just got the Word file format, so this version still doesn't
work with Word files.

This program is much cleaner than either the Font or Ruler Changer
programs.  However, it does use the new List Manager package,
so you need a new System file for it to work.  This will make
it difficult to use on 128K machines.  Sorry, but i wasn't going
to re-write the List Manager myself, I messed it up good once
before already.

                                   - Tom Dowdy
"I'm increasingly convinced that a vast majority of wrong thinking
 people are right."

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-DOCUMENT-CHANGER.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 23 Sep 86 13:45:00 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #77

Usenet Mac Digest         Tuesday, 23 September 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 77

     Re: Assimilation MIDI problem
     Re: Easy of programming, Mac, Amiga
     Trashed disk
     Impress to MacPaint
     Lightspeed Pascal and the Serial Driver?
     Re: TextEdit Bugs
     ETH Modula2 Single Pass
     Re: Ease of programming, Mac, Amiga
     Re: DataFrame 20
     SuperPaint
     Help on MacNetwork
     Mechanical Design Software for the Mac
     A Quiz
     QUERY on IMAGEWRITER Compatibles
     Wanted:  Statistical fonts.
     mac programs for blind people
     TextEdit Behavior
     Re: BYTE issue of September 86 focuses on the 68000
     Re: Easy of programming, Mac, Amiga
     128k ROM vs. TMON
     Re: BYTE issue of September 86 focuses on the 68000
     Consulair C: another opinion

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-77.ARC

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 23 Sep 1986 15:28:56 PDT
Subject: Statistical Packages
From: Richard Gillmann <GILLMANN@B.ISI.EDU>

I've been looking for a good statistics package for the Mac and went
and bought a copy of StatSoft's Statfast-2.  Statfast-2 turns out to
be pretty awful, despite their attractive ads -- surprise, surprise
:-).  It doesn't support HFS or double sided disks.  The user
interface is very un-Mac-like.  It's pretty obvious that they took
some old batch Fortran program and ported it to the Mac, without
rethinking how it should work in the Mac environment.  While it does
do multiple regression, it doesn't do stepwise multiple regression.
It makes no effort to use Mac fonts to display the proper statistical
notation.  The manual is an Imagewriter printout.

So I'm still looking for a good statistics package.  I'd like to find
one that's compatible with HFS, runs on a Mac+, and uses the Mac
interface to do interactive statistical analysis, rather than popping
up a batch window for every operation.  I've seen references to
Statview from BrainPower, Cricket's Statworks, StatPak from Northwest
Analytical and Systat's Systat 3.0.  If anyone has experience with
one of these, I'd like to hear about it, or about any other
statistics packages for the Mac.  I'd be using it for time series
analysis.

Richard Gillmann
Gillmann@B.ISI.EDU

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 23 Sep 86 15:09:58 edt
From: moy@nrl-csr (Gene Moy)
Subject: Graphing/Plotting Programs for MAC

Does anyone know of graphing/plotting prgoram for the MAC beyond
the simple plotts that JAZZ creates from its spred sheet?  I'm
looking for something that would allow Logorithmic scales on both
the X and Y axes, allow scaling on both axies, and to take the data
from either a text-only file or from a spread-sheet.

Thanks
Gene Moy

[ note from moderator: A program to consider would be Cricket Graph which
allows you to do more than any other plotting package I've seen for the
Mac.  DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 86 21:40 EST
From: GKN3M2%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Re: SCSI drives for the Mac

This is a reply to a query in the last issue (vol.4 #117) regarding
SCSI drives for the Mac-plus.  As I can't seem to find the right
e-mail gateway to the author, I'm sending it to Infomac.
                                      E. Bauman
Date:    Mon, 22 Sep 86 13:44 EST
To:  mlesley@labs-b.bbn.com.arpa
From:  GKN3M2%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: SCSI drives

We've had pretty good luck with the MDIdeas HD-30 (they also make
a 20 MB model).  It runs continuously and holds all the information
for our Mac network running under MacServe, i.e. it gets a good
workout.  Although the first model died quickly due to a bad
power supply, MDIdeas shipped us a replacement within a few days
and then offered to fix the original and send it back (if we would
return their new one of course) so that we would not lose all the
infomation on the disk.  The disk is fast, as has been shown in a
recent issue of MacWorld.  Overall, we're pretty pleased and will
probably buy another one within a few weeks.
   Evan Bauman
   Dep't of chemical engineering
   University of Notre Dame
   gkn3m2%irishmvs.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 86 10:11:50 PLT
From: Joshua Yeidel  <YEIDEL%WSUVM1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: MAC to CMS via 7171

We are striving to identify the best package for terminal emulation and
file transfer between Macintoshes and our IBM VM/CMS system via the IBM
7171 protocol converter.   We have used Apple's MacTerminal (we've even
developed a 7171 profile for it) which does nice terminal emulation but
does not offer error-checked file transfer;  and we have used Red Ryder
and Kermit with success for file transfer, but we're not happy with the
terminal emulation (particularly keyboard equivalents or lack thereof).

Is there somebody out there who is happy with their MAC-to-CMS via 7171
technique, and is willing to share their experience?

Thank you for your time.

[ note from moderator:   I work on a VM/CMS system regularly and we use
VersaTerm. The vt100 emulation is very good (not quite as good as MacTerminal's
I hear, but I never have any problems) and much faster than RedRyder,
MicroPhone, or MacTerminal at high baud rates. One can define macros in
a 'watch me' mode and it has KERMIT (TEXT,BINARY, and MACBINARY) file
transfer as well as XMODEM (MacBinary, MacTerminal 1.1 style, and TEXT).
I have had very good success using the KERMIT with VersaTerm and have
no reservations about recommending it as a great program.  DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue 23 Sep 86 07:19:01-PDT
From: Ted Markowitz <G.TJM@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: Graphics terminal emulator for the MAC?

A friend of mine would like to use his MAC as a graphics device from
a mainframe graphics program, Tell-a-graf.  Has anyone done this before
or is anyone familiar with an emulator that runs on the MAC for some
standard graphics terminal, a la, a Tektronix or the like?

Thanks for any help.  Reply to G.TJM@SU-SCORE.

--ted

[ note from moderator:  I guess I forgot to mention above (regarding VersaTerm)
that it also does a Textronix 4014 emulation in addition to the Vt100 mode.
The program can switch between 4014 emulation and VT100 mode by host control.
VersaTerm can record the graphics as it is sent from the host. A companion
program TexPrint can be used with VersaTerm to replay the graphics, zoom,
pan, and save the graphic in MacDraw (pict) format. This is a great way
to include some mainframe generated plots into your Mac generated documents.
Note that plots are stored as VECTOR graphics and will print well on
the LaserWriter. DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 86 08:47 PDT
From: PUGH%CCX.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Re: Excel bug

I spoke with the fellow who does the Bugsy section of MacUser about this bug.
When I read it in the mag, I remembered reading about it in my manual, meaning
it was a feature, not a bug :-).  I looked it up and sent him a note.  It turns
out that they didn't document the fact that a Save starts out by erasing the
old copy and that aborting the Save leaves you with nothing on disk until a
later revision of the manual.  So, you people with revision R02 on the title
page, read your manual.  Those of you with earlier revisions, just keep an ear
open and read the mags, I guess.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 86 13:55 PDT
From: PUGH%CCX.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: More MPNT to PANT stuff

In my eternal quest to rid myself of ever booting MacPaint again, I have made
another thing write PANT files instead of MPNT files.  The code to be so fixed
was the FKEY 3 resource in the system file.  I copied that to a file, opened
it with FEdit, searched for the MPNT and changed it.  Put the sucker back in
the system and viola! (where's the accent on this machine? :-)  I can post it
if anyone wants, but I doubt the legality of it.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Tue 23 Sep 86 09:06:30-PDT
From: Anne Richardson <RICHARDSON@SU-SCORE.ARPA>
Subject: LaTeX

Has anyone out there heard of a new book out on TeX for the Mac or LaTeX
for the Mac? Any particulars would be appreciated.

-Anne

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 22 Sep 1986 11:04 PDT
From: "Michael Fleming"  <HMICHEL%CALSTATE.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: The Bible on the Mac

     Does anyone know of any versions of the Bible available for the Mac?

     If I receive enough interest I'll be happy to post the results.

     Thanks for your help?

   Michael W. Fleming
   Instructional Computing Consultant
   Computer Services
   California State College
   9001 Stockdale Highway
   Bakersfield, Ca. 93311-1099
   Telephone: (805) 833-2309  -or-  (805) 833-2115  {message}

   BITNET:      HMICHEL@CALSTATE
   ARPANET:     HMICHEL%CALSTATE.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
   COMPUSERVE:  72437,2270       {Seldom used, too expensive}

End of INFO-MAC Digest