[mod.mac] Delphi Mac Digest V2 #47

SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (Jeffrey Shulman) (09/27/86)

Delphi Mac Digest          Saturday, 27 September 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 47

Today's Topics:
     DataFrame
     RE: DataFrame (Re: Msg 12941)
     RE: DataFrame (Re: Msg 12946)
     RE: DataFrame (Re: Msg 12949)
     RE: DataFrame (Re: Msg 12960)
     RE: DataFrame (Re: Msg 12949)
     RE: DataFrame
     Altsys upgrades
     RE: Printing multiple text files
     RE: Difference between Mac 512E and Mac Plus
     RE: Reset & HFS with C compilers
     RE: Reset
     RE: C Compilers and HFS
     Tex for the mac
     RE: My DataFrame 20 (Re: Msg 12884)
     LAUNCHING
     RE: LAUNCHING (Re: Msg 805)
     RE: LAUNCHING (Re: Msg 806)
     imagewriter 2.3
     RE: imagewriter 2.3 (Re: Msg 13010)
     RE: imagewriter 2.3 (Re: Msg 13011)
     RE: imagewriter 2.3 (Re: Msg 13015)
      MacScheme
     RE: Useful tips 'n tricks with VersaTerm, Edit and Word
     Networks
     RE: Medical/Dental (Re: Msg 12895)
     Architectural programs
     LS Pascal
     RE: TextEdit Behavior
     Fedit+
     RE: Fedit+ (Re: Msg 13070)
     RE: Fedit+ (Re: Msg 13072)
     RE: Fedit+ (Re: Msg 13075)
     LaserWriter cartridge toner
     RE: LaserWriter cartridge toner (Re: Msg 13080)
     RE: LaserWriter cartridge toner (Re: Msg 13097)
     RE: Request for PICT disk file format & Getting grow regions in Windows..
     RE: Errors in TESetText
     Medical systems/where are you?
     Hammermill Laser Plus paper
     QuickDrive from MacVentures
     Renting a Mac
     Re: DataFrame
     C, Sampling & Mac
     RE: WhatsA Bernoulli ?  'n HowGoodsIt Anyway?...

From: NOTDVORAK (12941)
Subject: DataFrame
Date: 19-SEP 22:25 Hardware & Peripherals

DataFrame 20 Saga Continues...

Maybe it's the moon.  Last week I noted that after repeated crashes, the
folks at SuperMac suggested I backup and reintialize my DataFrame 20. They
were concerned that a sector had been damaged in shipping, and was only now
being used, causing head seek errors.  I did the backup, etc. but did not
have time to use the unit until today, when I entered 100+ items into an
inventory database.  On completion of the entries, I attempted to print
out labels for the items.  Clickety, clickety, clickety....CRASH!  Eeek!
Ya, backups are the best solution, but I don't usually stop a program on
entry of data just to make a new backup.

I have to give SuperMac credit, though.  I called, and when everyone in the
tech department was tied up, I was patched through to Steve Edelman, who
agreed the problem was "kinky" and needed investigation at SuperMac, not on
my desk.  They promised to send out a new unit Monday via UPS Blue.

Alf

------------------------------

From: BMUG (12946)
Subject: RE: DataFrame (Re: Msg 12941)
Date: 20-SEP 01:11 Hardware & Peripherals

You are right , the companies support for DataFrames is great..But the
drive is poorly designed in someway. The say only 6% have been
returned but about one third of the poeple I know that have them, have
had the break down in one way or another....But they have the best
support of any company I've ever heard of. All of these people had
drives sent to them UPS Blue...

Steve Costa/BMUG

------------------------------

From: BMUG (12949)
Subject: RE: DataFrame (Re: Msg 12946)
Date: 20-SEP 02:41 Hardware & Peripherals

I still can't totally agree with Steve that the "party line" should be that
DataFrames have problems.  100% of my sample works fine!

-- Raines/BMUG

P.S. We're currently evaluating the ProApp and WhisperDrive HD's.  Look for
     an article in the Fall '86 BMUG NL.

P.P.S. If **YOU*** were reading a comparison of SCSI HD's, what would you
       want to see compared?  Benchmarks?  Timing?  Reliability?  Noise?
       Performance?  Color?  Flavor?  Documentation?  Which of the above
       in quantitative terms?

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (12960)
Subject: RE: DataFrame (Re: Msg 12949)
Date: 20-SEP 15:24 Hardware & Peripherals

Reliability, reliability, and reliability.  In that order.  And don't forget
reliability.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (12967)
Subject: RE: DataFrame (Re: Msg 12960)
Date: 20-SEP 21:10 Hardware & Peripherals

Seconding Ric's vote on reliability.  Having spent the better part of the
morning rebuilding 100+ inventory entries and related files due to my
DataFrame crash, the only other factor I think that needs to be considered
beyond reliability is general and specific reliability.  I found it rather
silly that I decided to rebuild everything onto floppies when the HD is
sitting there, but I trust them more than the DF 20 until I've seen it work
smoothly for awhile.

I don't know how my experience fits in with others, but maybe it's time we
put up a poll on HD reliability.  My Apple HD 20 has never caused a problem,
and I'd vote it tops so far.

Alf

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (12985)
Date: 21-SEP 04:47 Hardware & Peripherals

Reliability, speed, and noise can all be measured.  Reliability is the hardest,
and I've heard that noise can vary from unit to unit. No one ever said it would
be _easy_.

------------------------------

From: BMUG (817)
Subject: RE: DataFrame
Date:  24-SEP 03:22 Programming Techniques

I called SuperMac yesterday, and found out:

>> The XP upgrade will be available in early October

>> They haven' t figured out what they're GOING TO write in the Apple //
Software (i.e. They haven't written it yet!)

>> The 1.5 Initializer will come out at the same time as the XP.

And, from another source, I found out that version 3.0 of the printspooler is
available on "another service"... I hope you're not getting the problem of
companies sending files to different services at different times again, like
with the System file.  I DL'ed it, but I'm not sure I got a good copy.

-- Raines

------------------------------

From: NOTDVORAK (12942)
Subject: Altsys upgrades
Date: 19-SEP 22:26 Bugs & Features

New Fontographer Release....it's nice!

Just received the new Fontographer 2.0 release, and I'm impressed.  What
were rather skimpy docs (less than 100 pages) are expanded to 296, with a
very nice index, etc.  Several features have changed from the initial
release, making it quite a bit easier to build Laserfonts.  A newly revised
and expanded User's Guide for FONTastic (included) as well.  While they
are still using the key disk copy perversion, HD installations (which allow
for de-installation) have been upped to 3 per master disk, or 6 in all.

It's a freebie upgrade for registered owners.  Call Altsys Corp. at
214-424-4888 if you haven't received the upgrade notice card.

Also, I've received their first Fontographer Font, Goudy Newstyle, done by
Judy Sutcliffe (see article in Personal Publishing, July 86).  It's a
beautiful decorative Goudy face, and is supplied with the Fontographer
files allowing easy modification of the typeface.

Alf

------------------------------

From: DSACHS (12975)
Subject: RE: Printing multiple text files
Date: 20-SEP 23:18 Network Digests

YAPU will print multiple text files.  The current version, 3.2, can be
downloaded from Compuserve, Delphi, Genie, and many bulletin boards.
Move the files to be printed and yapu to the same folder (Finder
restriction) select them all, double click on yapu, and stand back.
Works with either model Imagewriter connected to a serial port.  The
files must be line delimited.

------------------------------

From: DSACHS (12976)
Subject: RE: Difference between Mac 512E and Mac Plus
Date: 20-SEP 23:27 Network Digests

The Mac 512E has the old motherboard (without the SCSI port) and the old
keyboard.  I suspect it will be discontinued sometime soon, as a Mac+ really
costs no more to make.  Apple may be getting rid of its stock of old parts.

------------------------------

From: DSACHS (12977)
Subject: RE: Reset & HFS with C compilers
Date: 20-SEP 23:53 Network Digests

RE:reset   The RESET operation on the 68000 does NOT reset the 68000.  The
hardware on the macintosh DOES reset the 68000 AFTER the ROM has been mapped to
addresses starting with 0, so the first 8 bytes of ROM are used to initialize
the processor.

RE:HFS with C compilers;   The Consulair Mac C compiler has a path manager
feature to allow control of search paths.

------------------------------

From: MCOHEN (12996)
Subject: RE: Reset
Date: 21-SEP 17:11 Network Digests

to "Steven B. Munson" <sbm@purdue.edu> The RESET instruction asserts
the Reset signal of the 68000, which in the case of the Mac causes the
ROM to be relocated to $000000. Because of this, the PC & SP values
will be loaded from ROM.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (12986)
Subject: RE: C Compilers and HFS
Date: 21-SEP 04:48 Network Digests

 > From: Mike O'Dell <mo@seismo.CSS.GOV>
 > Subject: C Compilers and HFS

 Aztec C has a +I flag which uses precompiled #includes.  I guess this
isn't the same (I've never used true Unix).
    What's wrong with putting #include "/foo/bar.h" in your program (as Aztec C
allows)?  Doesn't this access directories?

------------------------------

From: SOLARPULSE (12950)
Subject: Tex for the mac
Date: 20-SEP 08:51 Business Mac

I heard that several companys have TEX for the Macintosh.  Some were showing at
the MacBoston thingee.  Does anyone have any first hand experience with them.
How good is the LaserWriter driver that comes with TEX?  How fast are they?
Etc. Thanks. David.

------------------------------

From: LAMG (12956)
Subject: RE: My DataFrame 20 (Re: Msg 12884)
Date: 20-SEP 12:39 Hardware & Peripherals

Jack: I was also apprehensive about keeping the DF in its upright
position next to the Mac...  I've found, though, that it's heavy
enough to remain stable, even when jostled accidentally.  If you use a
long cable to put it out of sight somewhere, the place it goes has to
be well ventilated. I imagine that in many cases, putting it under a
desk (on the floor) would be worse - it might be easier to knock it
over with your feet if you can't see it lying there.  -Franklin

------------------------------

From: ASMCOR (805)
Subject: LAUNCHING
Date:  20-SEP 17:02 Programming Techniques

Anybody here know the proper way to launch an application with a document?
  Jan

------------------------------

From: PEABO (806)
Subject: RE: LAUNCHING (Re: Msg 805)
Date:  20-SEP 18:15 Programming Techniques

It's explained in Inside Mac (I'm not at home now where I can check
the chapter) .  Maybe under the Segmnet Loader, or The Structure of a
Macintosh Application, or Putting Together a Macintosh Application??
You pass a list of WDRefNums and filenames along with a print/open
flag by stashing the address of this thing in a global.  It gets
allocated from the System heap to prevent it from being trashed by
_Launch.

peter

------------------------------

From: ASMCOR (807)
Subject: RE: LAUNCHING (Re: Msg 806)
Date:  20-SEP 20:36 Programming Techniques

Yeh, I looked at that stuff in the Segment Loader section, but when I
tried to get the system to allow me to allocate a handle and put it at
0xAEC (which is called AppParmHandle) it wouldn't allow me to do it. I
got an error and the handle was not reallocated (it 's size was zero).
But you just gave me a thought... maybe I should try to REallocate the
handle, but just allocate it and store it there...? I'll try it, what
the heck. I LIKE the bomb, really I do!
  Jan

------------------------------

From: PIZZAMAN (13010)
Subject: imagewriter 2.3
Date: 21-SEP 23:17 Hardware & Peripherals

Could someone please explain the different choices on the new imagewriter 2.3
file? In particular, I would like a quick explaination of the following:

U.S. letter vs. U.S. legal (I think I know this one), but what about
"computer paper" (I thought I was using computer paper), A4 letter,
and international fanfold? I have been using pinfeed paper for years
in my imagewriter I, and have left the setting on U.S. letter. Should
it be on "computer paper"?

The other tough one is "special effects". When would you use "tall
adjusted" vs.  50% reduction? What about "no gaps between pages"?
Would this setting help when printing labels, such as with the
infamous Habadex, that I still have one mailing list on? Any help
would be much appreciated. Thanks.

Pizzaman

------------------------------

From: PEABO (13011)
Subject: RE: imagewriter 2.3 (Re: Msg 13010)
Date: 21-SEP 23:52 Hardware & Peripherals

Computer paper ... presumably that's for use with the wide carriage IW.  A4 is
the size of a kind of drafting paper.  International fanfold I think is 12"
between top of forms.  I remember using one of these once to print on 1-1/2"
label stock ... only the 12" choice worked from one page to the next.  Oh yeah,
US legal is 8-1/2 by 14.

Tall adjusted means that everything is printed at a 144 dot per inch
horizontal resolution as apposed to 160.  That way, the pixels are
square.  You would use this when printing draft copies of things on
the IW for eventual printing on the LaserWriter, wince the LW also
prints with square pixels.  No gaps between pages sounds like it would
help with labels, but when I was doing them I finally gave up and
switched to the 12" setting, wasting one label in 8.

peter

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (13015)
Subject: RE: imagewriter 2.3 (Re: Msg 13011)
Date: 22-SEP 01:25 Hardware & Peripherals

Just a few other notes.

A4 paper is 8.3" x 11.7, which is the same width as International Fanfold
(as used in Europe and Japan) but .3" shorter.

I'd suggest trying out the "No gaps" option with each individual program you
use.  It does work when printing labels in MS File and Helix, but those are
the only two programs I use I know it has much effect with (there are bound
to be others).

Helix has a great secondary layer for choosing paper sizes....it allows you
to choose 6 sizes to use most of the time, from a list of 30 or so.  I use
8.5 x 5 inch paper most of the time with Helix, and the combination is very
handy.

Anyway, if you are using normal 9.5 x 11 inch fanfold paper, US Letter is
the right choice, since after you strip the sprocket strips, it is 8.5 x
11.

Alf

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (13020)
Subject: RE: imagewriter 2.3 (Re: Msg 13015)
Date: 22-SEP 16:43 Hardware & Peripherals

Computer Paper is the kind used in big computer printers: 11"x17"wide,
usually green and white striped to make it particularly ugly, although
accountants like it.

Ric

------------------------------

From: BEVERLEYKANE (13016)
Subject:  MacScheme
Date: 22-SEP 10:16 SIG Business

WANTED: Review of MacScheme for the Fall Berkeley Macintosh Users
Group Newsletter.  Two-three pages w/ 2-3 screen dumps. Can be very
roughly drafted -- we edit the *)&(^& out of everything. U/L to me
Delphi e-mail, to BMUG BBS: ( 415) 849 BMUG or s-mail 1442A Walnut St.
#153, Berkeley, CA 94709.
     ***** REWARD **** Also: any book reviews (1 paragraph only) of AI related
books for same.
  THANKS!

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (13043)
Subject: RE: Useful tips 'n tricks with VersaTerm, Edit and Word
Date: 23-SEP 13:37 Network Digests

to: <INFOEARN%HLERUL5.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU> Subject: Useful tips 'n tricks
with VersaTerm, Edit and Word

It turns out that the Word find/change strings _are_ documented in the manual,
but only in the Find section, not in the Change section (p. 230).

In Edit, you can insert a Return or Tab into the Find/Change dialog by holding
down the Command key while you hit Return or Tab.  The Command key acts like an
"escape."

One of my frustrations with Mac editors is their stupid inability to
simply change any ASCII string to any other, whether the character is
printable or not.  This should be supported by pasting into
Find/Change dialogs from the Clipboard (or doesn't the Clipboard
necessarily contain unprintable characters when you select them), and
by the option of specifying characters in Find/Change dialogs by
typing their numeric ASCII equivalents.  Mac editors are so far ahead
of mainframe editors, with the power of the mouse and the Mac
interface, it's sad to see them lagging in some basic functional
areas.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: NETMAN (13042)
Subject: Networks
Date: 23-SEP 09:22 Telecommunicating

Rumored inthe 9/22 InfoWorld that Novell, one of the premeir
publishers of Network Operating System Software for the IBM-PC is
writing for the Mac.  The VP said that it is one of their primary
concerns.  I am looking for great things from Novell due to the
quality of their PC-Network operating systems.  In the past they have
exceeded the performance of any network operting system be at least
two-fold.  Any comments or additions ???

Netman Jonathan Oski MacInTouch

------------------------------

From: NANOCHIP (13051)
Subject: RE: Medical/Dental (Re: Msg 12895)
Date: 23-SEP 23:05 SIG Business

Recently started to grind my way thru all the info I picked up at MacExpo
in Boston.
  "The Omnis Business Directory" may be of help to you. It's published
quarterly (7$/issue) by Blyth Software (415) 571-0222. It lists over
200 standalone business applications generated using Omnis 3 by independent
developers. Blyth actually devoted more of their booth at MacExpo for the
promotion of these independents than they did for Omnis 3 itself!

  The list of applications is *quite* diverse, but you may be interested
in these (among 24 entries under "Medical & Medical Office Mgmt"):

"The Certified Dental Assistant"
(203) 878-8770, Nappo Computer Service, Bethany CT.
and
"Shana Dental System"
(403) 438-6548, Shana Ent. Inc., Edmonton, Alberta Canada.

Both these packages profess *Complete Dental Office Business Mgmt*,
in single or multiuser enviornments. The guide lists the particualars
for each. Maybe some of the general medical applications would be of
use to you also. Hope this helps.
<Chip

------------------------------

From: NOFAL (13057)
Subject: Architectural programs
Date: 23-SEP 23:53 SIG Business

A friend of mine needs good Macintosh software for creating presentations
quality drawings. He needs a program to plot on proffesional plotters (big page
sizes) and 2D and 3D drafting programs.I've heard of a lot of them but which is
the best one?
                --Danny

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER (13059)
Subject: LS Pascal
Date: 24-SEP 02:32 Programming

I forget now who asked it: but it's easy to get at the length byte of
a str255 in Lightspeed Pascal.  Just turn off range checking:

{$R-}
theString[0] := 23;
{$R+}

should set the length byte to 23.

        -Lofty

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (13069)
Subject: RE: TextEdit Behavior
Date: 24-SEP 21:35 Network Digests

 >From: dubois@uwmacc.UUCP (Paul DuBois)
 >Subject: TextEdit Behavior

DuBois wanted to know how TextEdit differed on the two ROM versions.
By synchronicity, dlc@lanl.ARPA (Dale Carstensen) has a message in the
same digest, saying that selRect can be used to locate the cursor.
selRect is one of the differences.  As long as the selection is an
insertion point, it's a 1-pixel wide rectangle. Under the two ROMs, it
gives different values if the selection is longer (a selection can
involve up to 3 rects).

There are also some differences in clipping, but I don't remember the exact
symptoms.

BTW, I don't understand Carstensen's caveats about scrolling.  The essence of
miniWRITER's scrolling is
 ScrollRect(&r,0,dv,theRegion);     /* Scroll screen */
 OffsetRect(&(*te)->destRect,0,dv); /* Let TE know about scroll */
(I can't remember why I didn't use TEScroll).

David Dunham     "If voting could change the system, it would be illegal.  If
Maitreya Design   not voting could change the system, it would be be illegal."

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (13070)
Subject: Fedit+
Date: 24-SEP 22:04 Creative Pursuits

Just bumped into a note here to post the version # of Fedit+ being shipped
by ComputerWare.  It's 1.0.7.

Alf

------------------------------

From: PEABO (13072)
Subject: RE: Fedit+ (Re: Msg 13070)
Date: 24-SEP 22:39 Creative Pursuits

I wonder how us registered 1.0.4 owners get updated?

peter

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (13075)
Subject: RE: Fedit+ (Re: Msg 13072)
Date: 24-SEP 23:38 Creative Pursuits

Probably the same way we did last time :-( I've been trying to recover
a number of trashed disks with Fedit Plus and I'm not happy with it.
Can you not load the memory buffers from a file and then switch disks
without resetting them?  I want to dump one file from one disk into
another disk, but it seeems to be resetting the buffers each time I
switch disks.  And I can't open 2 at once.  I've gone thru the docs a
number of times, without any luck finding an answer.  In addition, it
has crashed fairly frequently, and a rebuild of a trashed 800K _MFS_
disk was unsuccessful, giving me 0K files which were unusable.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (13085)
Subject: RE: Fedit+ (Re: Msg 13075)
Date: 25-SEP 21:55 Creative Pursuits

The registration card supplied with Fedit+ says upgrades will be available to
registered owners for $10, and that notes would be sent out when upgrades are
ready.  I don't know how big a jump it would be from 1.0.4 to 1.0.7, and a
"Read Me First" file I thought might have some notes on the most recent version
was only a page or so from Mitchell about how it had failed so as shareware.

Ya know, it would be nice if on less expensive programs like this if one's
registration card could simply be sent in with a couple of bucks for an auto
upgrade.  From talking with Scott Watson about mail upgrades, generating the
labels and collecting a basic charge for the disk and mailing ends up costing
so much that $10 is needed to keep the upgrader from going broke upgrading the
upgradee (grin).  But if the registration card doubled as an address card for
upgrades, and a few buck were sent in advance for disk and postage, it would
seem upgrades could be done much faster and at less expense.

Then again, that makes too much sense to be practical, I guess ;-).

Alf

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (13080)
Subject: LaserWriter cartridge toner
Date: 25-SEP 17:03 Business Mac

Does anyone know the names of toner suppliers for LaserWriter cartridges? Any
other info would also be helpful.  (I'm looking specifically for toner, not
necessarily recharging services.)

Ric

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (13088)
Subject: RE: LaserWriter cartridge toner (Re: Msg 13080)
Date: 25-SEP 22:04 Business Mac

Hi Ric,

The guy at Laser Printer Products, 11 Freeman Street, Stoughton, MA 02072
(24 hour machine: 617/893-9000; the guy 9-5 ET: 617/341-3005) sells little
plastic bottles of the toner at $20 per, a kit of 2 bottles, directions, and
a tool bit & replacement wiper things, etc. for $99.  This is the guy that
Ray Sanders has been buying from, as well as myself.  The toner is great, with
much nicer blacks than the stock carts from Apple (nee Canon).

One bottle is enough for one total recharge.  He will also recharge your cart
there for $40 including the toner, but is usually rather backlogged a few weeks
for that service, I believe.

Alf

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (13111)
Subject: RE: LaserWriter cartridge toner (Re: Msg 13097)
Date: 26-SEP 23:28 Business Mac

From a discussion with Ray Sanders a few months ago I got the impression that
the toner is from Canon but is not the one they normally pack with the carts
for the Laserwriter and PC 10 etc. series copiers, rather one of their toners
from the more commercial series units.  The guy in MA repacks into smaller
containers (gad...can you imagine a 55 gal drum of toner...hehe).  If you feel
like experimenting on your own, Quill Corp. (312) 634-4800 sells both Canon
non-cartridge and other brand toners in pint bottles, as well as the long,
skinny tubes as used in a lot of later generation copiers (Mita, etc.).

The toner from MA looks just like the Mita toner I use in the copier, but the
Mita runs so much warmer from the exit, I'm afraid to try it in the Laser. I
would think that the heat fusing temps might be a critical factor in sub-
stituting toners.

Alf

I expect the guy in MA would be happy to tell you what brand he is using...
he has been very friendly and helpful on the phone the couple of times I've
bugged him.

------------------------------

From: PEABO (13089)
Subject: RE: Request for PICT disk file format & Getting grow regions in
	     Windows..
Date: 25-SEP 22:17 Network Digests

>Date: Wed, 24 Sep 86 01:08:59 PDT
>From: <MCD@SLACVM.BITNET>
>Subject: Request for PICT disk file format

>I would like to get a description of the contents of a PICT disk file,
>as can be saved by MACDRAW if the appropriate option is checked.

You need Tech Note 27, which is part of the September Tech Note release
that was put up on various electronic networks on September 24.  Unfortunately,
DELPHI cannot no longer release Tech Notes to Usenet and INFO-MAC because of
restrictive license agreements imposed by Apple.

peter

>Date: Wed, 24 Sep 86 14:53:35 PDT
>From: ucscc!jordan@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (90220000)
>Subject: Getting grow regions in Windows....

>        I think that I am missing something, but for the life of me, I can't
>fiqure out how to get a window to have a grow region based on Inside Macintosh.

You have to draw the grow region yourself, it's not automatic.  Use the routine
DrawGrowIcon().

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (13095)
Subject: RE: Errors in TESetText
Date: 26-SEP 03:29 Network Digests

 >From: a.d. jensen  <UD040164%NDSUVM1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
 >Subject: Errors in TESetText
 TESetText requires a pointer to text, not a pointer to a string. @theString[1]
should work (my Pascal is still ore).

------------------------------

From: PIZZAMAN (13092)
Subject: Medical systems/where are you?
Date: 25-SEP 22:26 Hardware & Peripherals

It is very hard for me to believe that someone hasn't put together a
nice package for the medical office using Mac hardware and software. I
have many medical compatriots who are finally ripe for a medical
system for their offices, and they are all turning to IBM stuff. I
find this hard to believe, since the Mac would be so much easier to
use and valuable to these medical types. However, I must agree that no
one yet has seemed to fill this void with a reliable
accounting/billing/information managing system for them.

Now, I have seen many mentions of medical systems on the networks and
in print.  However, I have contacted a number of them, and gotten
nowhere. I have received a few very nice, three sided pamphlets, with
what seemed sincere marketing hype, but so far have gotten nothing but
smoke. One fellow even promised to send me a copy of his program to
try. He was going to send it out the next day. that was a month ago.
Sound familiar? What gives? Could it be that no one is really ready,
yet, to fill this void?

I have my Mac and HD-20 presently set up to do the creative work I
need to do in my office. It word processes, keeps track of patients
with MS file (granted a fairly simple approach), telecommunicates to
the National Library of Medicine via BRS after Dark and Smartcom, and
does all the graphics stuff I need to do to generate educational
programs and papers. The only thing lacking is accounting to complete
the package.

How can I sell my friends on the Macintosh unless I can guide them to a decent
package and support? What a shame if they all go with IBM's or clones. Is the
problem that the market isn't big enough (I doubt that)? Anyone have any
thoughts or ideas? These doctors want to try their wings on office computing,
but think they have to go big Blue. They don't have the time or interest to
piece meal their computing the way that I have. barry

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (13098)
Subject: Hammermill Laser Plus paper
Date: 26-SEP 09:08 Business Mac

I went to a Boston Computer Society Publishing Group meeting last night and
saw a presentation on paper, concentrating on laser printer paper.  It was
given by a paper distributor, who said that Hammermill has been ahead of the
other guys in development of stuff for new technologies like the LaserWriter
and Xerox machines.

Anyway, it appears that there are two important features of the Laser Plus
paper:  1) one side of the paper has a "wax hold-out" which means that you
can use a waxing machine on it (that side only) for manual paste up of
your "typesetting."  The other main feature seems to be a rather smooth
surface that permits fine resolution and avoids the problem of toner "spray"
getting absorbed into the paper and making fuzzier images.  (Although, if
you're offset-printing onto coated paper at the final stage, you may want
a little fuzziness/softness at this stage.)  Less important items are a
relatively high brightness (very white), and apparently good opacity.  The
price is supposed to be about 2 cents a page. (8.5" x 11").

The part numbers for LaserPlus paper are 10450-5 (8.5x11), 10451-3 (8.5x14),
and 10452-1 (11x17)

The distributor, D. F. Monroe, welcomes calls and seems readily willing to
supply information and paper samples.  They were passing out an interesting
brochure, with samples, on the Laser Plus paper.

800-237-2737 (617-944-4750)
(There are other numbers and locations as well).

Ric Ford
"MacInTouch"

------------------------------

From: UJL0012 (13101)
Subject: QuickDrive from MacVentures
Date: 26-SEP 09:48 Hardware & Peripherals

Does anyone know where I could get QuickDrive, an external RAM Disk from
MacVentures, at a discounted price?  Although I've heard much about QuickDrive,
I have rarely seen ads for it in magazines. So I have no idea as to where I can
purchase it.

Junichiro

------------------------------

From: UJL0012 (13103)
Subject: Renting a Mac
Date: 26-SEP 09:52 Hardware & Peripherals

I'll be visiting Washington, DC for approximately three weeks this November.
Since it is too much trouble to take my Mac all the way from Tokyo, I am
wondering whether there are any places or persons where I can rent a Mac. I
would like to rent the following items: a Macintosh Plus, an 800k external
drive, a 2400 baud modem and necessary cables.

Thank you in advance.

Junichiro

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (13121)
Date: 27-SEP 05:37 MUGS Online

To: rcopm@yabbie.rmit.oz (Paul Menon)
Subject: Re: DataFrame 20

>    I have been amused as to how people shutdown their Dataframes for some
>time now, and can offer may own humorous, yet possibly sane method.  This is
>how I interpreted SuperMac's instructions, and it seems the safest.
>    *   Select the "ShutDown" option as per normal.
>    *   WAIT FOR THE THING TO REBOOT COMPLETELY!!! ie, wait for the desktop
>        to appear and the system has subsided into a state of tranquility.
>    *   Switch the DataFrame off.
>    *   Switch the Mac off.
>        (The order of the last two actions is unimportant)
>   *   Using my interpretation, the Dataframe ALWAYS boots up in a matter of
>        seconds.  ALWAYS!

I infer that you don't have many files on your disk.  With 1K+ files, you will
be looking at the smiling Mac icon for quite awhile while the volume bitmap is
rebuilt.  Yes, with your procedure everything is updated -- EXCEPT a bit which,
if set, means that the volume was unmounted properly.

It is safe to turn off the Mac and/or disk any time during the interval while
the screen is dark or while the smiling Mac is displayed, i.e., any time before
the "Welcome to Macintosh" box (or startup screen picture).  It doesn't hurt to
turn off a disk while it's reading -- it CAN hurt to turn it off while it's
writing.

------------------------------

From: IKON (820)
Subject: C, Sampling & Mac
Date:  27-SEP 11:16 Programming Techniques

Does anyone know how to implement digitized sound files?  We're currently
usingsing the MacNifty Audio Digitizer (as we don't know about anything else
over here in Australia) and would like to call the sampled files from within
Cmpled files from within C (we're using Aztec C).  A clue, hint, ANYTHING would
be appreciated.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (13125)
Subject: RE: WhatsA Bernoulli ?  'n HowGoodsIt Anyway?...
Date: 27-SEP 12:20 Network Digests

to: MACA.AFCC@AFCC-4.ARPA Subject: WhatsA Bernoulli ?  'n HowGoodsIt Anyway?...

One of our readers, a consultant, called to tell us that Iomega wanted
something like $650 for a board for that 5MB Bernoulli box to permit
it to handle HFS correctly.  He said that Iomega only charged dealers
about $250 for the upgrade, but that he could not get it for that
price.

Ric Ford
"MacInTouch" newsletter

End of Delphi Mac Digest