Date: Wed, 8 Oct 86 01:56 CDT
From: <MAX%TAMLSR.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: How's MacApp doing so far?

I received the following on MCI-Mail the other day...

To all MacAppers:

What is the current state of Software IC technology (ala Brad
Cox's "Object Programming: An Evolutionary Approach") for the
Macintosh as provided from sources outside of Apple Computer?  I
thought that Brad's idea for the vending of compiled Objects
(ie, Software ICs) is one whose time has come.  With MacApp and
Object Pascal this notion can start being a reality for the Macintosh
today.  At least we could do useful public domain today and evolve
commercial distribution in the not too distant future.

Gee, I have a manager for the Mac that is very nearly ready for public
consumption.  Being an object it is more sophisticated than just a
procedure or two or some general algorithm; it's generalized in
applicability, powerful, and certainly important in its use in my current
project; in short, it is a "Software IC".

Kurt Schmucker, (PPI's Technical Director of Educational Services) should
have a word to offer on this topic.  How about it, Kurt?

Roger Voss
--
I'd like to take this opportunity to add that Scott Boyd and I are
the "designated" (we were shanghai'ed  (-: ) question answering site

Roger's points are well taken.  As a matter of fact,  Kurt Schmucker
will be maintaining an object library for MADA.  Anyone who has designed
an object that would be useful, educational, even cute, can send it to
us to be included in the library.  The beauty of this system is that you
really don't have to include source code if you don't want to (we hope
you will, though, and we've GOT to have the interface file).  MADA will
be publishing a newsletter, and Eric Anderson (our illustrious editor)
is already pushing us for contributions.  Send me or Scott mail to get
more info about joining the club, but I'm afraid it's too late to get
the much-sought-after MacApp Shirt (eat your hearts out (-: ).

Looking forward to hearing from you!!

Greg Marriott
MCI MAIL: MacApp Questions/308-5910
MCI MAIL: Greg Marriott/305-5153
  my regular VAX account name is in transition, but for now...
MAX@LSR.BITNET

Scott T. Boyd
BOYD@LSR.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 8 Oct 86 18:28:16 EDT
From: Duane.Williams@k.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: MacApp and TML Pascal 2.0

| I talked with the APDA hotline today and asked about MacApp and TML Pascal
| 2.0.  The response was that MacApp will NOT work with TML 2.0 due to a
| plethora of conditional compilation directives that are present in MPW
| Pascal, but not in TML Pascal.

You could probably just go through the MacApp source and delete all the
conditionally compiled code.  The vast majority (if not all) of it is just
debugging stuff.

The real problem is that MacApp is not entirely written in MPW Pascal.
There are a fair number of MPW Assembly files that TML Pascal cannot deal
with.  I suspect that they will have to be converted to MDS.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 3 Oct 86 03:12:27 EDT
From: Martin Resnick <mlr0%gte-labs.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: GAME-ARSMAGNA.HQX

Ars Magna(tm) is an anagram program for the Macintosh written in
LightspeedC by Mike Morton.  This posting contains the Ars Magna
program and two dictionary files.  The MacWrite documentation was
posted separately.  Ars Magna is shareware.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-ARSMAGNA.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-ARSMAGNA-DOCS.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 7 Oct 86 12:03:57 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #81

Usenet Mac Digest        Tuesday, 7 October 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 81

     Twilight Zone Startup Sound query.
     Need Black User of Mac
     Re: Keyboard Layout
     General Ramblings
     double apple desk accessory
     Disk/File Server/Sharing Programs For the Mac
     Re: Keyboard Layout
     Re: Apple Johnathon
     Fullpaint.  Wonderful product, wonderful people.
     HD-20SC Hard Drive
     SuperPaint
     Re: ETH Modula2 Single Pass (how to access the tool-box)
     try Translatum!
     Re: Disk/File Server/Sharing Programs For the Mac
     Questions on DataFrame20
     Dataframe 20 and killer DA's
     Color programs...
     HP LaserJet Driver?
     Linear Programming package for the MAC
     Re: Apple Johnathon
     Re: Dataframe 20 and killer DA's
     Laser Writer

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-81.ARC

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 8 Oct 86 08:51 EST
From: STERRITT%SCOM15.decnet@ge-crd.arpa
Subject: Keeping my mac cool

Just to throw my two cents in:
This summer, during a very internal-disk-intensive operation (trying to back up
some copy-protected software I'd just purchased), my mac quit reading the
internal drive reliably (it wouldn't even boot the software off the master
disk!). I suspected that it was just too hot, and verified this by turning the
thing off for about an hour to let it cool down.  This solved the problem, and
so I thought I'd get a fan for those hot summer months.  A quick check seemed
to indicate that the average price of the fanny mac, maccool, etc. was about
$80, and most include a surge suppressor which I already have.  So a quick trip
to the local cheapy store found me a fan for $8, which is about 6'' diameter,
pretty quiet (much quieter than some ibm pc internal fans I've heard at work!),
and has a clip for hanging it from something.  I tried clipping it to the
carrying handle of the mac, but the vibration of the fan interacted with the
video and made my screen swim.  Hanging it from a different support works
perfectly, and my mac has given me *no* heat-related problems since then. The
moral?  Well, I did say at the begining that I wanted to throw my two cents
in... not my eighty bucks...

------------------------------

Date: Wed,  8 Oct 86 12:26:43 edt
From: rs4u@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel)
Subject: Fans and Dust

	Granted, a fan that pulls air out through the top of the machine will
suck in dust and crud through the bottom. It's fairly easy, with a little
effort, to take some Scotch-Brite (tm) scrubbing pads, cut them to shape, and
place them over the side and front vents of the machine; they'll filter out
dust and paper shavings and hairs ripped out while debugging, without
impairing the efficiency of whatever fan you use.

	It also helps of the area around the machine is kept reasonably
clean....

		--Rich

------------------------------

Date: 08 Oct 86  1024 PDT
From: Tovar <TVR%CCRMA@SU-AI.ARPA>
Subject: Fans - Con

After working with computers for over a decade, i've developed a mental
allergy to fan noise.  Thankfully, most of the terminals i use don't have
fans, and i particularly appreciate that an unmodified Mac is supposed to
run without one.

On the other hand, if you're seeing the kinds of temperatures that Siegel
has measured on a Mac with a Hyperdrive, I'd be concerned, too, and install
an effective fan.  Or if your Mac runs abnormally warm, as a number of
writers in the past have noted, then I would be concerned as well and try
to find out why.  Von Rospach's note of 3-Oct-86 seems like one of those,
as neither the Mac here nor my own at home have any surfaces that are even
uncomfortably warm.  Yet if fan noise doesn't affect you, then a well
designed add-on might make sense.

But if your Mac seems to run reasonably cool, why add a fan?  There is a
saying among some engineers:  "If it ain't broke, then don't fix it!"  The
question is what is reasonable.  If Apple were to inform us what exit air
temperature is nominal (and preferably how measure it without special
equipment), it would be much easier to know when there's a potential
problem.
							--- Tovar

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 7 Oct 86 09:53:38 PDT
From: Mark O'Shea
From: <hplabs!tektronix!tekecs.GWD.TEK.COM!marko@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU>
Subject: Re: Mac's operating temp

WE have one Mac that had a problem which appeared to be temperature
related.  We took a small fan from a workstation which was being salvaged
for parts.  The fan runs on 110v and is small.  We then taped it over the
left vent so that the fan was drawing thru the Mac and our problem went
away.  The fan is 3-1/2" in diameter.

Mark O'Shea
AIM
Tektronix
Wilsonville Oregun

------------------------------

Date: 08 October 86 10:22 EDT
From: QP2%CORNELLA.BITNET@violet.berkeley.edu
Subject: Data Desk stat package

Mike Leavitt asked recently about Data Desk, a statistics package I wrote
for the Mac.  Data Desk is alive and well.  We have been shipping the 1.0
release for about a month now.  Earlier releases that were seen at many
places were incomplete, buggy in spots, and copyprotected (because they were
incomplete and buggy in spots).  The 1.0 release is a full-function stat
package with a desktop Finder-like interface.  Features include a full
multiple regression including modern diagnostic statistics, a variety of
statistical graphics including 3-D rotating plots, data importing and
exporting capabilities and the usual array of tests, estimates, and
analysis routines.  It is shipped on a copy-protected disk, but owners get a
free un-protected disk when they return the registration card.
  (All registered owners of pre-1.0 copies should have received their free
copy of 1.0 by now.  If any pre-1.0 owners are reading this and have not
heard from us they should write to us.)
  Data Desk has been used in teaching at Cornell for a year and a half and
is currently in use at a number of other colleges and universities.
  I would be happy to answer any questions about the program, but I think
this has been a long enough blurb for now.  For information, write to me at
Data Description, inc
Box 4555 Ithaca NY 14852
or email to QP2 @ CORNELLA

DisDisclaimer:  I designed it.  I wrote it.  I teach with it.  I analyze data
with it.  I sell it.  I'm biased as hell about it.

p.s.  I lost my ready access to InfoMac several months ago and saw this
query through the good offices of my brother.  I am working to get back on
the net, but would appreciate copies of messages about Data Desk being sent
to QP2@CORNELLA lest I miss them.  -- thanx
 -- Paul Velleman

------------------------------

Date: Wed 8 Oct 86 00:44:21-EDT
From: "Bob Soron" <Mly.G.Pogo%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: Imagewriter II problems

> From: "Andre Lehre"  <GFA0009%CALSTATE.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
> Subject: Imagewriter II problem
>
> We recently acquired three Imagewriter II printers; two are hooked up to
> Mac+'s and one to an ordinary 512 Mac.  We are using the Imagewriter 2.3
> driver.
>
> The problem: at unexpected times the printers will start printing the ASCII
> character codes rather than the text.  This has happened with Word, with
> Write, and with Paint on all three machines.  It happens erratically, but
> seems to occur most often after a printer has been powered up.  The bug
> doesn't happen twice in a row-- once it's happened and we abort the printing,
> the next print will be OK.  Can anyone suggest why this is happening, and
> what we can do to prevent it?
>
> Thanks lots.
>                    --Andre Lehre

I've had this problem numerous times (I'm using an unmodified enhanced 512);
in my case, it's accompanied by the straight-ASCII lines overprinting.  I
found that adjusting the Mac-to-Imagewriter cable did the trick.  Both the
cable and the power cord fit in their sockets very loosely.

Bob

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Oct 86 09:01 PDT
From: PUGH%CCX.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Cut and Paste in MacPaint and FullPaint

>I am having trouble pasting full page documents from the clipboard into
>MacPaint (v1.5) What I am attempting to do is to take a document from
>MacDraw using SELECT-ALL and CUT to get it onto the clipboard. Show
>clipboard at this stage has the full document. However, if I do a
>paste in MacPaint, only a macpaint window-full gets pulled off the
>clipboard into the macpaint document.
>
>Is there any way around this problem?
>
>        Prasanna Mulgaonkar
>        SRI Intl.

There is no way around this in MacPaint other than pasting in window sized
pieces.

FullPaint will let you do this, but only if you hold the Option key down when
pasting (like Option-Command-V).  Personally I think FullPaint doesn't deal
with large selections very well.  Here are my reasons:

1) You have to explicitly make a selection be "large" by using the Option key.
   Not very intuitive!

2) You cannot do normal operations on "large" selections, like Rotate, Trace
   Edges, and the special actions.  I still have to use PaintCutter or
   Thunderscan for that.

3) Only "large" selections will make the window scroll automatically.  While
   there is a switch for the auto-scrolling in Fatbits, there is not one for
   selections.

4) You cannot make a Lasso selection "large".

Aside from this, FullPaint is a marvelous program, but it is not perfect.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Oct 86 09:47:40 pdt
From: gould9!joel@nosc.ARPA (Joel West)
Subject: Merger mania takes out Hayden Books

A friend of mine in the publishing industry told me yesterday
that Hayden (including their computer book division) was purchased
by MacMillan, the giant publishing conglomerate.  MacMillan already
owns SAMS and CUE.  The book staff was sacked and the future of
current projects is iffy.  He suggested that the Hayden name and Apple
Press aren't likely to survive.

I haven't seen any mention of this in any computer magazine.  Apparently
most magazines (except for Byte) aren't aware that the computer book
industry exists, although it doesn't stop some of their reporters from
writing books.

Looking at my notes, someone at A-W had actually mentioned the Hayden
purchase to me in July, but the significance didn't hit me then.
However, looking at my bookshelf, I note that all 4 Mac books (2 by
Chernicoff; Schmucker; and Knaster) are from Hayden.

If Apple Press leaves Hayden, Apple has been using Addison-Wesley for
its separate "Apple Technical Library" series, including all the Apple
II manuals, plus the four volumes of Inside Macintosh.  Bantam Computer
Books has already released the first of what the cover says will be a
series on the Apple IIgs, so they are also on good terms with Apple.

There is a precedent for the SAMS/Hayden consolidation.  In late 1984,
Gulf & Western bought Prentice-Hall, and they already owned Simon &
Schuster.  The "creative" side of the book business sometimes gets a
lot of lattitude from the "financial" side, but after the S&S/P-H
merger, the bean-counters swooped in with a vengeance and eliminated
several competing computer book divisions within P-H.  This included an
entire 5-book Macintosh series, one of which was mine.

	Joel West			     MCI Mail: 282-8879
	Western Software Technology, POB 2733, Vista, CA  92083
	{cbosgd, ihnp4, pyramid, sdcsvax, ucla-cs} !gould9!joel
	joel%gould9.uucp@NOSC.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  6 OCT 1986 14:30 EST
From: THOMAS R. BLAKE  <TBLAKE%BINGVAXA.Bitnet@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Mac File Servers (Printer Spoolers)

Mac People,

        I am not a subscriber to INFO-MAC, (if I was I most likely would not be
making this inquiry).  And as such, responses will need to be sent to me
directly.

        My question is about file servers for the Mac.  I am aware of a number
of them, but know of no site actually using one.

        Objectives for File Server:

        1: Use as a printer spooler for a LaserWriter!
        2: Software accessability (for 20-30 student Macs) (Copy Protection?)
        3: Limited use of specialized hardware (Low cost)
        4: Ease of use for novice users (Mac users)

        Your objective evaluations of file servers you use, (esp. maintain),
would be most welcome.  Requests for summaries will be honored.

TBLAKE@BINGVAXB.BITNET                          Thomas R. Blake
TBLAKE@suny-bing.CSNET                          Programmer/Analyst
                                                Academic Support
                                                SUNY Computer Center
                                                Binghamton, NY  13901
                                                (607)777-6008

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 8 Oct 86 17:28:08 cdt
From: werner@ngp.UTEXAS.EDU (Werner Uhrig)
Subject: Query: 3.5S 20Meg SCSI-drive from Supra at $799 list

in Computer + Software News of Oct 6, page 61:

	SupraDrive now ready for Macintosh Plus

SupraDrive, a 3.5 inch, 20-MByte drive for the Macintosh Plus, is now available
from Supra, headquartered in Albany, Oregon.

[ no mention of software for backup/restore or print-spooling.]

List Price $799, availability NOW.

--- does anyone know anything about this drive or company?

End of INFO-MAC Digest