[mod.mac] Delphi Mac Digest V2 #50

SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (Jeffrey Shulman) (10/09/86)

Delphi Mac Digest          Thursday, 9 October 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 50

Today's Topics:
     RE: Levco pricing exorbitant
     RE: Appletalk Connectors (2 messages)
     RE: old Lightspeed C bugs
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #80 (Re: Msg 13410)
     Hyper 2000 compatibility
     Prodigy 4 compatibility (4 messages)
     Andy & Servant
     Non-SCSI Hard Drives
     ResFinder
     RE: another 800K dies (Re: Msg 13424) (2 messages)
     RE: Medical systems/where are you? (Re: Msg 13092) (3 messages)
     RE: HELP: Tecmar disk/Mac+ ROMs
     JumpStart'ing the Finder
     data transfer (2 messages)
     Versions in the night... (3 messages)
     GUIDE (Hypertext) mini-review (3 messages)
     Beep on startup (4 messages)
     DataFrame spooler problems..
     MICAH External 30 Meg (4 messages)
     RE: Limelight computer projection system
     RMaker 2.0 problem
     cheap Mac 68020
     medical systems/where are you?
     Radius FPD
     Microsoft FORTRAN question

From: PEABO (13417)
Subject: RE: Levco pricing exorbitant
Date: 3-OCT-21:48: Network Digests

>Date: 2 Oct 86 18:55:00 EDT
>From: <bouldin@ceee-sed.ARPA>
>Subject: Re: Levco pricing exorbitant

>Back to the original issue: Why does the prodigy 4 cost so much? Because Levco
>can sell _A FEW_ for that price. I have heard that their production is about
>one per week and that they sell all they can build. Under these circumstances
>there is no incentive to cut the price. At 50 to a few hundred machines a
>year, the Prodigy 4 is also not going to have much impact in the Mac-world,
>other than as a curiousity.

Well, if they are really only selling 50 per year, and if their cost is around
$3000, then charging $7000 sounds like a reasonable price, not an exorbitant
one.  Perhaps your complaint is that Levco isn't a high-volume manufacturer.
I think that comparing them to GCC is unwarranted, because GCC *was* a high
volume manufacturer when they first introduced the HyperDrive, right?  Levco
has undeniably found a niche, and it may be that their business judgement is
that expanding into a different niche by increasing volume would not be a
smart move.  After all, how would you like to build up a business based on a
high-performance engine just a half year before a multi-billion dollar company
enters the market?

peter

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (13418)
Subject: RE: Appletalk Connectors
Date: 3-OCT-22:02: Network Digests

To: Calvin Teague (CAL@STAN STANFORD.EDU)
Appletalk Connectors

While it's certainly not as elaborate as a locking shell over the connectors,
I've been using a technique learned while dealing with photographic PC plugs
(perhaps the only connector designed to come loose just as easily as Appletalk)

A single winding of electrician's tape around the plug and then around the
Appletalk box serves to keep them well connected while still allowing for
changes in the hookup later.  3M makes the best tape, and it comes in several
colors (color-coding various branches of the net, maybe?).

I've also begun using Farallon Computing's PhoneNet (tm) boxes instead of
AppleTalk boxes...they are interchangeable, but the Farallon boxes use standard
phone wire rather than Apple's cable. An advantage (other than the obvious
price difference) is the positive locking of the phone connectors.

Alf

------------------------------

From: NANOCHIP (13469)
Date: 4-OCT-19:18: Network Digests

At the Boston MacExpo Kensington Microware Products were displaying
plastic Appletalk connectors which would hold each of the three wires
in back or the mini-circular8 plug, joined by a common plastic bar.
They can be reached at (212) 475-5200.
<Chip

------------------------------

From: PEABO (13419)
Subject: RE: old Lightspeed C bugs
Date: 3-OCT-22:05: Network Digests

>From: duc@wjh12.HARVARD.EDU (Dan Costin)
>Subject: old Lightspeed C bugs
>Date: 1 Oct 86 04:57:26 GMT

>There were postings before the summer describing bugs in Lightspeed C.

>If anyone could send me a summary of the bugs, or the original articles,
>I'd appreciate it very much. (I know an update is coming up, but I can't
>really afford the wait).

>-dan costin  (duc@wjh12.harvard.edu)

Send in your registration card to THINK (if you haven't already).  You will
receive FREE the updated version 1.5 of LightspeedC sometime around the end
of October.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (13444)
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #80 (Re: Msg 13410)
Date: 4-OCT-05:03: Network Digests

 > From: oster@lapis.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster)
 > Subject: In praise of inter-operability
 > In a multi-tasking environment, an application
 > could poll for listeners, and negotiate with them about formats.  It would
 > have to write in ALL its formats only when it was quitting (since any
 > appliction might come up then to read the data.)

Huh?  The Scrapbook holds ALL scrap types simultaneously.  It could be opened
long after the application writes the scrap.  It sounds awfully inconvenient to
have to keep writing new scrap types every time a different program starts up;
you might have done lots of other stuff in the meantime.

As an aside, people who use private scraps have to be sure not to do
dumb things.  Beta versions of two 2nd generation word processors, not
to mention Apple's MDS Edit, trash the scrap.  They all seem to spot
TEXT and another type, and replace the scrap with just TEXT.  This is
most obviously observed by selecting an Acta triangle, Copying, then
trying to Paste.  Less obvious is when a MacWrite scrap (types MWRT
and TEXT) is present -- a user going back and forth between MacWrite
and another program with Servant might get very upset if his font
information were mysteriously lost.

BTW, your PICT-parsing program sounds interesting.

 > From: fry_b@husc4.harvard.edu (david fry)
 > Subject: Memory compactification runs drive??

It isn't the memory compaction that runs the drive, but the fact that
resources are purged, and have to be read back in.  The obvious reason
for this in DiskInfo are the fonts used...they're not Chicago, so when
DiskInfo redraws the screen every 5 seconds, it has to reload New
York-12 (or whatever you chose) and Geneva-9.

 > From: mcf@mulga.OZ (Michael Flower)
 > Subject: Apple Johnathon
 > Could anyone comment on the veracity of these rumours

Those are rumours, beyond any doubt.

David Dunham     "A mind is like a parachute.  It only functions when open."
Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: HSTARR (13436)
Subject: Hyper 2000 compatibility
Date: 4-OCT-02:03: Hardware & Peripherals

FYI -- Tempo v1.1b doen't run on the Hyper 2000!!! (The installer won't even
run, on a Prodigy 4)

------------------------------

From: HSTARR (13437)
Subject: Prodigy 4 compatibility
Date: 4-OCT-02:06: Hardware & Peripherals

MacWrite runs if you have the latest Prodigy control!! Lightspeed Pascal is a
no-no (Too many TRAPs used! Lightspeed C is OK (and awesome on this beast) Most
normal Mac apps are OK Overvue is NOT. MS apps are OK! Mac C v5 is OK!

to be continued

------------------------------

From: PEABO (13441)
Subject: RE: Prodigy 4 compatibility (Re: Msg 13437)
Date: 4-OCT-02:33: Hardware & Peripherals

I should hope Mac C v5 works ... that's the version that supports direct code
generation of 68881 floating point, isn't it?

peter

------------------------------

From: HSTARR (13459)
Subject: RE: Prodigy 4 compatibility (Re: Msg 13441)
Date: 4-OCT-12:39: Hardware & Peripherals

No!! - they have a compiler called the 'Direct Access C compiler for Prodigy'
and another 'Direct access C compiler for Hyper 2000'

Mac C v5 is just a new version of the all time favourite. -- Harry

------------------------------

From: HSTARR (13472)
Subject: RE: Prodigy 4 compatibility (Re: Msg 13459)
Date: 4-OCT-22:14: Hardware & Peripherals

Tempo v1.1b is a no-no on the prodigy 4 -- Even the Installer won't run!

------------------------------

From: NAKMAN (13443)
Subject: Andy & Servant
Date: 4-OCT-03:08: Network Digests

Ptr -

Bad news... last I heard, Andy is considering dropping servant, in order to
concentrate on other things.  There may be one more release, or maybe more...
He had another word for what you called "puppet strings"... something like a
"surrogate" file/application.

-- Raines

------------------------------

From: RMORRIS (13447)
Subject: Non-SCSI Hard Drives
Date: 4-OCT-07:40: Hardware & Peripherals

I just got my new Paradise 20 from Icon Review and learned once again
that You've got to be careful of wording in ads. The ads said "HFS
compatible", but they send the thing out with MFS only, Finder 4.1,
and system whatever. It operates just like the first MacBottoms &
Hyperdrives mounting and demounting volumes. Pain! EXCEPT (and this is
a BIG except) once you create a volume it can NEVER ever be resized.
You are stuck with it unless you delete it. Well, then I put Finder
5.3, sys 3.2, and the Hard Disk 20 file on it and its boot disk. Then
I deleted all the old volumes and held down the option key when
creating two new HFS volumes: a 1MB volume for the system and the
remaining 20.5 MB for the real stuff. Now the thing works great. This
is my 2nd hard disk. I also have an Apple HD20 and lots of experience
on the MacBottom. Here's my analysis: The MacB is fastest but neither
of the others are far behind. The HD20 is the only one that self boots
- and that is NICE ... but the other two have one switch that controls
both Mac and disk. The print spooling is the one feature missing from
the Apple that the other two have. The Parasise comes with its own RAM
Cache software which is a good thing as it doesn't work terribly well
with Turbocharger 2.0.  All things considered, as the Icon Review
price on a Paradise is $545, I think it is by far the best deal for
the money.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (830)
Subject: ResFinder
Date:  3-OCT-22:23: Tools for Developers

OK all you developers wondering what to write next, how about a resource
searcher?  This would let you specify a resource file and a string (or hex
number, for the hardcore).  It would then report that "Really erase hard disk?"
occurs in DITL 123 (or whatever).

Or, if this is part of MPW, it might be worth getting the beta.

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (13457)
Subject: RE: another 800K dies (Re: Msg 13424)
Date: 4-OCT-11:45: Hardware & Peripherals

This suggestion sounds kinda silly, but I found it a saver one day.

A disk in my + became trapped by a bit of the label that had folded over...it
would only eject halfway, and then go back into the drive.  Paperclips, etc.
had no effect on the problem, and I was about ready to take it in and have
the disk removed surgically.  I reached over to a tray of note paper to make
an Out of Order note and saw that the paper was just the right size to stick
under the disk in the drive.  I slid the note paper under the disk as far as
possible, with around 3" still outside the Mac (3 x 5" note paper).  Booting
the Mac with the mouse button down did a very smooth eject of both the paper
and the disk.

Of course, since then, I've been much more careful about how well labels are
stuck onto my disks.

Alf

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (13480)
Subject: RE: another 800K dies (Re: Msg 13457)
Date: 5-OCT-10:43: Hardware & Peripherals

That brings up a trick Jack Hodgeson of the BCS stumbled onto.  He did
something similar with a flat piece of metal, sliding it between the
stuck disk and some part of the mechanism to get the disk to eject.
Danger Will Robinson!

Ric

------------------------------

From: NANOCHIP (13465)
Subject: RE: Medical systems/where are you? (Re: Msg 13092)
Date: 4-OCT-19:12: Hardware & Peripherals

Barry>
There are some *very* interesting Mac Medical Office Systems listed in
the Omnis Business Directory by Blyth Software (415) 571-0222. Of the
24 available Medical applications ( covering  Pharmacys, Vetinary Practice,
Blood and Blood Donor Tracking Systems, Podiatry, Chiropractic & Dental )
about 16 seperate applications cover general Medical Office Management.
Multiple user versions available for most of the listed products.
All products developed with either Blyte Software's Omnis 3 or Omnis 3 Plus
<Chip

------------------------------

From: LAMG (13475)
Subject: RE: Medical systems/where are you? (Re: Msg 13306)
Date: 5-OCT-01:43: Hardware & Peripherals

Ric:  Actually, I think that there are a number of systems (notably Omnis III+)
that already provide a sufficiently good way to write medical office management
and related software...  someone's gotta DO it, though!

-Franklin

------------------------------

From: LAMG (13476)
Subject: RE: Medical systems/where are you? (Re: Msg 13399)
Date: 5-OCT-01:47: Hardware & Peripherals

Raines: I really like the JAM folks - I've been using Smart Alarms
since the last San Francisco MacWorld Expo and I've been corresponding
with them since about improvements, some of which have been
implemented.  I've also been very interested in MacMED, of course, and
I'm looking forward to seeing it in action, as are many of my
associates (some of them own PC's, believe it or not!)

-Franklin /LAMG

------------------------------

From: NANOCHIP (13467)
Subject: RE: HELP: Tecmar disk/Mac+ ROMs
Date: 4-OCT-19:15: Network Digests

>From: karl@iuvax.UUCP (Karl Ottenstein)
>Subject: HELP: Tecmar disk/Mac+ ROMs
>Date: 1 Oct 86 19:06:55 GMT
> ....  My Tecmar hard disk died, so I bought a Micah Drive and got my mac
>upgraded to the new ROMS...[got] the Tecmar repaired...and now have an
>incompatibility:  the Tecmar boot disk is incompatible with the new ROMS...
>Please respond by mail to: ihnp4!mtu!siskowit!russell or russell@mtu.csnet

I also have a MicahAT20/TecmarMacDrive combo running on a 128K ROM Mac(+).
From the MacDrive System2.2 you must copy the following resources:
DRVR: Driver ".TDisk" ID = 20
FIXX: FIXX ID = 20
      FIXX ID = 21
INIT: INIT ID = 13
      INIT ID = 31
ICON: ICON# ID = 555
STR#: STR# 555
Be sure to use the "Get Info" menu item to renumber the two INIT resources,
as thier numbers are used by Apple in System3.2 and they would be pasted
over the two new Apple INITs if not renumbered. You may also want to
give each a name in the Get Info DLOG such as "MD13" etc. The .TDisk Driver
can also be renumbered to, say, 31, which will give you an extra DeskAcc Slot.
Your Tecmar is now HFS compatable. I have found that initializing the MacDrive
as one contiguous volume is best (use a few main folders with many subfolders
for greatest speed.
 Of course since you have a Micah you can just trash the System on your Tecmar
and paste the above resources into the Micah System. The Tecmar will boot up
as a 10Meg subvol of the Micah! The only drawback is that you will have to
use the Old ImageWriter driver with System3.2 (You can't use an IW-II). (I
believe I read somewhere that Tecmar is coming out with a fix for this...
I'll believe it when I see it :-). ) If it is easier, just mail a disk and
SASE to Chip Nicolais, 512 Chestnut St., Dunmore, PA. 18512-2942. I'll
forward the proper setup to you on Disk.
As a quickie cure (if you're in need of data on your Tecmar), have you tried
to bootup the Tecmar using the original Disk (System2.2)? My Mac+ boots up
just fine, ignoring the Micah and using the Floppy as the default disk.
<Chip

Special Thanks to Jim Hopper (Delphi: JIMH) who helped *me* in my early
Tecmar/HFS days! YEAH Jim!

------------------------------

From: HSTARR (13497)
Subject: JumpStart'ing the Finder
Date: 5-OCT-19:36: Programming

There appears to be an advantage (speed) on a cached system, to Jump
Starting the Finder. JumpStart is an applicaation and DA from the Vol1
issue 3 supplement. However, there is a technique required to
Jumpstart the Finder.  Place a copy of the Finder onto a volume with
no system file on it. Then invoke Jumpstart Log, putting the Log file
onto the same volume as the copied Finder.  Then, Launch the copy of
the Finder with the Fan + Option double click technique. When the
finder has settled down, select Jumpstart Log again to close the Log
file. Then double click on the Log file to commence the Supercharge.

Be aware that Supercharging the Finder on a non cached system actually
increases the time before things happen (visually).

Have fun -- Harry Starr

------------------------------

From: HALPRO (13511)
Subject: data transfer
Date: 6-OCT-02:39: User Supported Software

Does anyone know a way to transfer data from PFS; FILE & REPORT to another data
base?

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (13515)
Subject: RE: data transfer (Re: Msg 13511)
Date: 6-OCT-13:28: User Supported Software

The key to transferring data out of PFS is to click the "disk" button
in the Print Forms dialog.  You will be able to "print" the data to a
disk file, which you can then edit with a word processor such as
MacWrite, Edit, or Word, to get the data into a form that your next
database will understand. I often take the data into Excel as an
intermediate step, and clean it up there.  Getting it into and out of
Excel is done in tab-delimited text format, the fairly universal data
format.  (Tab characters between fields, and Return characters at the
end of every record.)

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACMAG (13512)
Subject: Versions in the night...
Date: 6-OCT-02:58: Mousing Around

.. exchanging numbers, versions in the night...

Well al this to say that I've been chatting with a few people about
new versions of your favorite wares (ie: PageMaker and Fontographer).

It seems that PageMaker 2.0 is about ready and should be released by the end of
November (or so they say). I keep hearing that it will be a mojor re-write and
it will incorporate a dictionary (built-in).

As far as Fontographer is concerned, I've been told that version 2.0
will allow you to read a Font from the LaserWriter and then put it in
the Mac's memory for editing. (of course it won't alter the LaserFont,
but it will give you a base to work on). Once loaded it can be used to
make other fonts or even change the current one by slanting it etc..

As I understant it, Altys will then re-market the old version at a lower price
in order to have more people use it. (What affordable means to them is anotehr
story).

From the Software frontline..

Rich.

------------------------------

From: PEABO (13514)
Subject: RE: Versions in the night... (Re: Msg 13512)
Date: 6-OCT-13:22: Mousing Around

Read a font from the LaserWriter?  Hmmm ... I doubt that refers to any of the
fonts in ROM, since they are encrypted.

One reason why PostScript lacks the ability to read back the value of
a pixel from raster memory is to prevent enterprising pirates from
stealing the licensed ITC fonts.

peter

------------------------------

From: NAKMAN (13522)
Subject: RE: Versions in the night... (Re: Msg 13514)
Date: 6-OCT-20:01: Mousing Around

What it probably means is what I'd heard about before (probably from
Mousy)...  the ability to make a font that is not a unique font but
modificatiosn to a current font... like Times Weird, for example, with
the x character rotated 45 degrees (don't ask me why, I just make up
the examples)... onscreen, you could accomplish the rotation and
modification based on the Times Roman screen font ( which is not
protected), and in the laserwriter will just call the Times font to do
the actual drawing (except do whatever transformation before/after the
call).

I'm wriiting an article with Bill Woodruff about doing this sort of thing,
except the Hard way... in PostScript directly.  It really isn't all that
difficult to do, but you need to know a few tricks.  Our new font, "Times
Garbanzo", looks sort of like San Francisco font except that every character is
TRULY random, selected from the fonts available in the LaserWriter at the time
of printing.  Look for it in the Fall '86 BMUG Newsletter.

-- Raines

------------------------------

From: ROWLAND (13518)
Subject: GUIDE (Hypertext) mini-review
Date: 6-OCT-19:26: Mousing Around

GUIDE implements hypertext - complexly structured documents - with very simple
Mac'ish traversal of that structure.

Basic idea : "Buttons" which may be text (word or phrase) or graphics
(paint or draw). When the cursor moves over a button it changes to a
characteristic shape.  If the mouse is clicked there some action
occurs; exactly what depends on which of the four types of buttons it
is: 1. Replacement - button is replaced by other text or graphics. 2.
Inquiry - a collection of replacement buttons, only one of which may
be activated at once. 3. Note - a popup screen with text/graphics
appears only as long as the mouse button is held down, and 4.
Reference - jump to another point in the document - OR TO ANOTHER
FILE.

This structure can be nested and otherwise complicated. The path thru
the structure as the user navigates is remembered and can be retraced.
Graphics can be composed of many individually selectable components.
There is also a DA which implements all read functionality of Guide -
great for personal help files, notes, etc.

The implementation seems excellent and polished, especially for a version 1.0 .
I've only had one crash in two weeks of intense use; it was however not
reproducible and may not have been Guide's fault. The manual is also very good,
but much of the teaching is done through tutorials and help files structured as
Guide documents themselves.

I could wax eloquent on the possible uses, but won't. I have been
waiting for years for this capability ever since reading of Ted
Nelson's (I think) concept (though it probably goes back further than
that); it has finally arrived, and on the Mac. I am mightily pleased.

Standard disclaimer: I have no conection with the programmer or company
producing GUIDE (Gordon Dougan and Owl International, respectively).

Mike Burns

------------------------------

From: NAKMAN (13523)
Subject: RE: GUIDE (Hypertext) mini-review (Re: Msg 13518)
Date: 6-OCT-20:06: Mousing Around

Mike -0

Where can GUIDE be bought?  Is the data transportable to other applications?

-- Raines

------------------------------

From: ROWLAND (13531)
Subject: RE: GUIDE (Hypertext) mini-review (Re: Msg 13523)
Date: 6-OCT-22:01: Mousing Around

Raines:

I ordered it directly from Owl. Their address is 14218 NE 21st St, Bellevue, WA
98007. The price is around $100 as I remember.

Even though I try to keep track of applications like this for the Mac,
this one slipped by me. I finally got a glimmer at the Boston Expo, at
least sufficiently enticing to get my order. I've seen no mention of
it in any of the magazines even though it is quite a professional
product (Nice box, manual like MacSpin or other such, etc). I guess
there are still some companies which develop and market without
pre-hype, refreshing!

The text can be edited like any other (some nity-grity detail - nicely handled
-to differentiate times you want to select for expansion and times you want to
edit it) and thence to other applications. In addition the file can be saved in
toto in MacWrite format (rather than straight text in order to handle the
graphics, fonts, etc) so that is another way to export to other applications.

It would make a neat program development tool, but I haven't tried that enough
to know how well it would work in practice. The manual seems a little leary
about using it with switcher, but I haven't had any problems on that score yet.

Mike

------------------------------

From: IVANOVIC (13526)
Subject: Beep on startup
Date: 6-OCT-20:46: Bugs & Features

On occasion (I don't know what the conditions are), my Mac will beep
when the welcome screen is being displayed.  A different system file
will clear the problem.  No other effects are noticed.  Does anyone
know why this is happening?

                                        -- Vladimir

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD (13542)
Subject: RE: Beep on startup (Re: Msg 13526)
Date: 7-OCT-04:29: Bugs & Features

First thing, check to see if there's an Alarm Clock in the System.  Next, look
in the alarm clock DA to see if the alarm is turned on.  Finally, see if it has
'gone off' yet.

A#1 cause of *that* problem -- I just figured it out a few months ago myself.

Laird

------------------------------

From: PEABO (13546)
Subject: RE: Beep on startup (Re: Msg 13542)
Date: 7-OCT-12:28: Bugs & Features

Yeah, but doesn't the Apple icon blink when the alarm clock has gone off?

peter

------------------------------

From: JIMH (13547)
Subject: RE: Beep on startup (Re: Msg 13546)
Date: 7-OCT-18:25: Bugs & Features

Actually i have had that problem several times. it has always been an
init resource which was having trouble.  for instance one of hte
crashsaver ??  resources was missing from my system so the init that
installed it always beeped at boot.  there have been a few others.
jim

------------------------------

From: MADMACS (13527)
Subject: DataFrame spooler problems..
Date: 6-OCT-21:03: Hardware & Peripherals

Even though I now have version 3.0d of SuperSpooler for the Dataframe
20 I am still having trouble getting Paint and FullPaint documents to
spool. They appear in the Que put as soon as they become the current
file to print I get either 1) Can't find the file error - As it turns
out the file is on the disk but not in the folder "Spooled
  files" (or something like that).  MacWrite documents seem to make it into
  the folder OK OR 2) ID=2 bomb if the file is found. What is the problem?  Has
anyone gotten this spooler to work?  They state clearly in the manual that it
should spool FullPaint and Paint docs OK. I have tried several combinations of
file and folder arrangements, but with no luck. -Doug

------------------------------

From: BILLIAM (13528)
Subject: MICAH External 30 Meg
Date: 6-OCT-21:19: Hardware & Peripherals

Is the new MICAH EXternal 30 MEG actually out yet? Has anyone seen it and
actully touched it in a store? I'm waiting to get either that or the Dataframe
20 but none of the dealers here in NY can show me one yet. How does it compare
to the HyperDrive External? Are they about a toss up or is the Micah software
really that much better?

Thanks for the coming opinions in advance.

Billiam

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER (13543)
Subject: RE: MICAH External 30 Meg (Re: Msg 13528)
Date: 7-OCT-07:14: Hardware & Peripherals

     I've been told that the 30 Meg MICAH external is scheduled to
ship about November 1 (I've had one on order since August).  I don't
believe the MICAH software is done yet, so one can't compare the
software.  I would expect the MICAH's basic software -- driver, volume
control, etc., will be very good (Steve Brecher's writing it), but the
rest is being written by someone else.

-Lofty

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (13553)
Date: 8-OCT-04:10: Hardware & Peripherals

The 30 XT is expected to ship at the beginning of November, so no touchy-feely
in stores yet.

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (13554)
Subject: RE: MICAH External 30 Meg (Re: Msg 13543)
Date: 8-OCT-04:10: Hardware & Peripherals

The software's pretty much done; I'm using a kinda-XT-30 now (just controller
and drive, no box).  The delay is due to lack of availability of the controller
-- those are what's coming at the start of November.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (13544)
Subject: RE: Limelight computer projection system
Date: 7-OCT-09:50: Network Digests

To: EBM%EDUCOM.BITNET@Forsythe.Stanford.Edu
Subject: Limelight computer projection system

The Boston Computer Society Mac group uses a Limelight.  (BCS is at
617-367-8080).  As a member generally in the audience, I have been asking
for a Hughes 700 projector to replace it.  The Hughes is far more expensive,
but far better.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: IVANOVIC (837)
Subject: RMaker 2.0 problem
Date:  6-OCT-20:43: Tools for Developers

  TML's Linker barfs when given a .Rel file produced by RMaker iff the
menu title's don't have at least a single leading space.  E.g. "Edit"
is no good; but " Edit" works. Is it me, or is it RMaker or is it
TML's Linker?

                                        -- Vladimir

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (13550)
Subject: cheap Mac 68020
Date: 7-OCT-22:00: Hardware & Peripherals

I noticed an ad in the August "MacTutor" for a 68020+68881 clip on
board for the Mac for $1295 from Spectra in Tucson AZ.  They also
advertise a ROM switch (switch between 64K and 128K ROMs) and a "Buss"
Has anyone had any experience with this company and its products???

Ric

------------------------------

From: PIZZAMAN (13551)
Subject: medical systems/where are you?
Date: 7-OCT-22:51: Hardware & Peripherals

sorry about the above messages (if the got sent). Something about my
upload caused the system to go haywire. Anyway, I just wanted to say
that I was looking for professional medical systems with support, not
just some amateur templates for Omnis 3. Are these available? Thanks.
barry

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (13555)
Subject: Radius FPD
Date: 8-OCT-05:39: Hardware & Peripherals

Well, my Radius FPD was waiting when I returned from fencing class
today. I'm using it now, and it works fine.  Some software doesn't
like having big windows, such as MacWrite 2.2.  And the Aztec C shell
doesn't allow use of the Mac screen.  But in most cases, software
works fine, not caring which screen a window's on, etc.  I'll have
more details later (and the full scoop in a future issue of
MacInTouch, including a 640x864 pixel screen dump!).

------------------------------

From: RAMARREN (839)
Subject: Microsoft FORTRAN question
Date:  8-OCT-02:16: Programming Techniques

A question regarding MS FORTRAN and segmentation: one of our
scientists is using his mac and fortran to test bed algorithms for
later uploading to space navigation.  he is beginning to write some
fairly large programs now. i know that the compiler supports run time
linking and static linking, but I don't see how to segment code into
nice, loadable modules in the static link varieties.  it seems to make
just CODE 1 and CODE 0 resources, and as you static link, CODE 1 gets
very big. any hints?

thanks, gdg

"but i'd rather do it my way."

End of Delphi Mac Digest