Date: Thu, 16 Oct 86 09:05:12 EDT
From: bills@CCA.CCA.COM (Bill Stackhouse)
Subject: Switcher

I am trying to find out  how a program can determine if it is running
under switcher. I believe there is a tech note about switcher but I do
not have it. A short note with enough information to let me fill
in the following would be appreciated.
  if <switcher is running> then
    foo;

Bill Stackhouse
bills@cca.cca.com

[ note from moderator: Inside Switcher Chapter 4, page 1 says:
   "Your application can inspect low-memory location $282 (SwitcherGlobals)
to determine if it is running under Switcher. If the value of the long word
stored there is 0 or -1, Switcher is not present. Otherwise, the value there
points to the Switcher global variable array described under "Global Variables"
in Chapter 3.

  "NOTE: The Macintosh system initializes both $282 and $286 (the MemToSwitch
table pointer) to -1; Switcher reinitializes them to 0. Your application can
use this fact to determine whether Switcher has ever been present since the
Macintosh was started up. "    Hope this helps. DAVEG ]17-Oct-86 14:59:22-PDT,1045;000000000001

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 86 14:57 PDT
From: PUGH%CCX.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Chooser name field

Could someone please remind me as to how to fetch the name that the Chooser
displays?  I remember this being discussed, but I did not need the info then
and I cannot find it in the archives now.

Jon

[ note from moderator:  The place to read about the chooser that I am familiar
with is the July 1986 issue of MacTutor. Bob Denny wrote an article about the
chooser where it says on page 17:  "The Chooser has an edit text item labeled
"user name"....Ther user name string is located in the System file as
STR -16096, indicating that it is 'owned' by the AppleTalk .MPP driver (ID=9)."

In the same place Bob Denny claims that currently only the LaserWriter uses
this field but it seems that recent ResEdit versions use this in the
About Resedit...   dialog box.     DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Oct 86 23:15:20 mdt
From: dlc%a@LANL.ARPA (Dale Carstensen)
Subject: Re: Prob: interpreting Pascal to C - HELP!

You shouldn't expect to find New in IM, it is a Pascal feature, not an Apple
feature.  It dynamically allocates memory.  Dispose is the corresponding
"function" to deallocate the memory.  The equivalent in C is usually malloc
for new, and free for dispose, although you may find routines such as
calloc, alloc, brk, or sbrk which can accomplish the job, with some
differences in usage.  Check your Mac C documentation for such library
routines.

If you did something like
	thePort = malloc(sizeof(GrafPort));
then you would reference the bounds rect as
	thePort->portBits.bounds
but, if Mac C doesn't have "structure assignment" (which it probably doesn't),
you would need to call BlockMove to assign another Rect structure to it (don't
forget to coerce the length parameter to (long)!) or put an & in front of the
first "t" to pass its address if you're passing the Rect as a function
argument to the Toolbox.

The Macintosh Pascal rule is to pass anything up to
32 bits as a value -- the only structure this usually applies to is Point, and
the pass anything over 32 bits as an address (Rect is 64 bits.)  Of course, if
the Pascal declaration of an argument includes VAR, then the address is passed
even if the length is 32 bits or less.  And, the gotcha everybody notices in
IM the first time one gets a program to work, FindWindow (p. I-287) is not
	FUNCTION FindWindow (thePt: Point; VAR whichWindow: WindowPtr) :
		INTEGER;
but rather
	FUNCTION FindWindow (VAR thePt: Point; VAR whichWindow: WindowPtr) :
		INTEGER;
                             ^^^^
A VERY significant difference!!!

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 18 Oct 86 00:08:36 mdt
From: dlc%a@LANL.ARPA (Dale Carstensen)
Subject: Re: Prob: interpreting Pascal into C -- HELP

You probably should use NewPtr (or NewHandle, with appropriate (*myPort),
HLock, and HUnlock references) to allocate the memory on the Mac.  I got
wrapped up in comparing New and Dispose from Pascal with malloc and free in
C, but that's for the Unix environment more than the Mac environment.

------------------------------

Date: 17 OCT 86 17:38-N
From: U212291%HNYKUN52.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: MacTerminal modification

I use MacTerminal to work on Vax/VMS, and find it most annoying that I have
to use command-backspace to delete a character (this sends a DEL, hex 7F),
since I am used to a simple backspace on the Mac itself. A backspace on VMS
does something completely different, wich cannot be altered in some operating
system parameter.
So I decided to patch MacTerminal so as to reverse the meaning of these keys.
It's no use to change the Systems INIT0, since Macterminal uses its own
tables.
This is how it has to be done (you can alter other keys as well of course, a
single 'escape' key can come handy sometimes, instead of 'command-['):
- the code that has to be changed can be find in the KICH resources of
  MacTerminal; I used ResEdit 1.0 D12 to change them.
- open MacTerminal (or better: a copy of it), open the KICH resources. Both of
  them contain hex codes for characters, in the order of the keyboard's key
  codes (see I.M.): a-s-d-f-g etc., using 16 characters per key code (one for
  each combination with modifying keys I suppose).
- at about three quarter of the resource you find the sequence:
         08 7F 08 7F  08 7F 08 7F
         08 7F 08 7F  08 7F 08 7F
  Change those in
         7F 08 7F 08  7F 08 7F 08
         7F 08 7F 08  7F 08 7F 08
This will make the <- key send a DEL character, and command- <- a backspace.
You can pick anything else if you like. I did this in KICH ID 256 as well as
in ID 257, although I don't know why there are two of them.

Good Luck, Kees van Eekelen, Holland.

[ note from moderator:  The new version of MacTerminal 2.0 evidently has
a switch to map  backspace<->delete   a la VersaTerm. Nonetheless one
of the nice things about MacTerminal is the fact that you can map the
keys as above. One comment is that it may be more desirable to make
a MacTerminal document and use RESEDIT to copy the KICH resources from
MacTerminal into the document and modify them in the document. Due to
the way the Resource Manager works, if you use a given document, the
resources in that document come first. This allows you to do two things:
first you don't modify MacTerminal and you can have custom keyboards for
each different document (computer system).  DAVEG  ]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 86 12:37:58 PDT
From: gunther.pa@Xerox.COM
Subject: Megamax In Trouble?

A few weeks ago I sent my Megamax C Compiler (ver 2.1b) dsn. disks into
Megamax for an upgrade to the HFS compatible system. They indicated that
the new version would be returned in the mail soon. Nothing returned in
my mail, so today I called them. They claim they have 700 orders which
extend back to December 1985 !!??  They now claim that they hope to ship
these orders within the next month (their guess).  Ver 2.1b will not run
on a Mac+, so this seems like a rediculous situation.  Consulair and
others seem to have there act together (?).

Suppressing my fear and loathing as I ask these questions, Are any of
the "700" on this DL? Does anyone have any insights about what is going
on at Megamax?  Did Apple contribute to this situation?  I was pleased
with their compiler when it came out because it was efficient, fast,
used the Mac interface reasonably well, supported inline 68K code.
Clearly, I'm not about to give up on them, but holding some clients
hostage for nearly a year looks like a bad sign.

   Neil.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 17 Oct 86 07:51:52 edt
From: kalagher@mitre.ARPA (Richard Kalagher)
Subject: Early 128K Rom's

I can verify that the early 128K ROMs do indeed have a problem.  When
I attach a SCSI hard disk, the Mac will not boot if the hard disk is
turned off.  Although I dont have a permanent SCSI disk yet, it could
be quite a hassle to have to physically disconnect the disk every time
you wanted to use the Mac without it.  Does anyone know if Apple will
replace these ROMs for free?

------------------------------

Date: 17 Oct 86 09:59:59 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #85

Usenet Mac Digest        Friday, 17 October 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 85

     Print on mailing labels and the like
     Re: Keyboard Layout
     Re: Serial Driver Question
     A real Multitasking MacOS (hopefully) - discussions not hearsay
     Algebraic manipulators for the Mac
     creating invisible windows
     Re: Graphics Magician
     File transfer between DEC Rainbow and Mac
     Red Ryder Treatment of Newlines...
     Re: Print on mailing labels and the like
     Re: Graphics Magician
     Re: Question on contents of \"BootDrive\"
     Recommended desktop publishing software?
     Question on VersaTerm2.01
     Re: Keyboard Layout
     Desktop Publishing Packages
     MS fortran Print and appletalk
     TML Pascal
     Multi-Processing Basics for a *real* multi-processing system.
     Re: Red Ryder Treatment of Newlines...
     Re: Apple, just give me what I want!
     Apple has strong quarter
     MPW/Lightspeed C
     Re: Apple, just give me what I want!

[ ARCHIVED AS

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-85.ARC
DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri 17 Oct 86 19:15:01-ADT
From: Peter Gergely <GERGELY@DREA-XX.ARPA>
Subject: Font Tester 1.4

Included here is a repost of Font Tester 1.4 (found on a local
freeware/shareware BBS).  This program allows you to view the fonts
installed in your system files with regards to style and size, in a few
different methods.  It allows up to 10 windows to be opened at once, and
the use of sample text file.

	- Peter

[ ARCHIVED AS

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-FONTTESTER.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri 17 Oct 86 19:23:01-ADT
From: Peter Gergely <GERGELY@DREA-XX.ARPA>
Subject: Version Info 1.1

Here is a repost of Version Info 1.1 (found on a local
freeware/shareware BBS).  This program will read the signature resource
of any application.  There are some very interesting remarks in the
signature resource of some programs.

	- Peter

[ ARCHIVED AS

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-VERSIONINFO.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Sat 18 Oct 86 11:35:48-ADT
From: Peter Gergely <GERGELY@DREA-XX.ARPA>
Subject: UTILITY-INFOPLUS.HQX

Here is a little utility that is a combination of the Extra's DA, the Other DA,
Idle, Alarm Clock and others.  It is shareware and was found on the Macky BBS.
		- Peter

[ ARCHIVED AS

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-INFOPLUS.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 19 Oct 86 11:30:52 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: UTILITY-PAGEMAKER-CONVERTER.HQX

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: RIPPER
Date: 19-OCT-1986 01:07 by JIMH

This program converts a PageMaker file to an Acta file.  It allows the
transfer of pagemaker files from Pagemaker to word processor, drawing,
and other pasteup programs.  It also allows the recovery of data from
many crashed pagemaker files.  This was originally written to allow
the MUGS online editors to convert their pagemaker files to a format
that could be shared between users groups. The purpose of this program
was expanded thanks to the comments of people like Ric Ford of
MacInTouch, and some local PageMaker users.  It is free to all users
groups for club activities.

[ ARCHIVED AS

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-PAGEMAKER-CONVERTER.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Subject: 68000 operating temperature.
From: KNIGHT%MAINE.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Michael Knight)
Date: Thu, 16 Oct 86 08:31:18 EDT

Just out of curiousity I looked up the 'operating temperature range'
for the 68000 as listed by Motorola in their microprocessors data
manual (1981). It's listed as 0 to 70 degrees C, which converts to
32 to 158 degrees F.   This was for the ceramic package. Apple now
uses a plastic packaged 68000, though this shouldn't make any
difference according to what I've read.

If we are getting 130 - 140 degree F temperatures on the top of the
case, one might guess that there might be some hot spots inside. I
feel Apple is probably pushing Motorolas temperature range close to
it's limit.

Money spent buying a good fan probably makes a better investment
than getting AppleCare.

Michael Knight
College of Engineering and Science
University of Maine
KNIGHT@MAINE  <Bitnet>

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 15 Oct 86 16:02:57 pdt
From: Dhiren Fonseca <fonseca%cc.uofm.cdn%ubc.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: Lisa Profiles & Mac's

While I was in a local Apple dealers shop the other
day, I noticed a rather large pile of Apple 5 mb
Profiles ( remember those, they were sold with
the Lisa).  I asked the guy in the store about the pile,
and was told that Apple doesUnt want them back from
the dealers when they trade in the Lisas for Mac +Us
and HD20Us.  I then proceeded to ask him what they were
going to do with them.  Well if you can belive this !!, no
sooner then asked, he told me I could have one if I wanted.
So now I have a 5mb Profile, and all I have to do is figure
out if it can be used with the Mac ?

Does anyon have any ideas about converting this drive to
a SCSI drive ?.

Dhiren Fonseca.

If not, It does make a rather nice doorstop !!!!

------------------------------

Date: 16 Oct 86 17:40:00 EDT
From: <bouldin@ceee-sed.ARPA>
Subject: mac opening tool

Someone asked about the screwdriver needed to open a Mac. What you need is
a #6 Torx screwdriver, available at many auto parts stores since this is also
what is used to aim the headlights on late-model GM cars. You will need to
lengthen the handle, however, in order to reach the 2 screws under the Mac's
carrying handle.

------------------------------

Date: 17 Oct 86 22:48:00 EDT
From: <bouldin@ceee-sed.ARPA>
Subject: Absoft Fortran 2.3 wish lists solicted!

Absoft is in the design stage of fortran 2.3 (and you even thought 2.2 was
barely out). This is the time for USERS to make input so that the quirks,
bugs and hassles of 2.2 can be eliminated.

I beta test for them and I am trying to get input from as many users as
possible abouts bugs and requests for changes and new features in Fortran.
Unlike Microsoft, the folks at Absoft are usually responsive to their
customers, but the time to speak up is _now_.

I have a long list of bugs that I would like to see fixed and am lobbying
heavily for the inclusion of STRUCTURES as set out in the ANSI working docs.
for fortran 8x, or as implemented in the last release of VAX fortran. If you
have requests for additions to Fortran, send 'em in, either to me or to
Absoft directly.

I can be reached at:
Arpa: bouldin@ceee-sed.arpa
Compuserve: 73557,1300

Anyone who can cross-post this to usenet, delphi, genie, etc, please feel
free to do so. If anyone can put this up on Applelink that would be particulalry
helpful.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 16 Oct 86 14:07:14 PDT
From: ihnp4!floyd!phw5!phw@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU
Subject: PostScript Language Journal

           Announcing the PostScript Language Journal

                        About the Journal
The PostScript Language Journal is a publication devoted  to  the
needs  of  the  PostScript  industry.   It  contains  articles by
authors active in the PostScript world, including  developers  at
Adobe Systems, Inc.
     Every issue of the Journal will bring you a wealth of infor-
mation  about  PostScript:  the hardware that understands it, the
software that produces it, the people involved with it,  and  the
language  itself.   We'll  have  product  reviews,  font samples,
interviews, an ongoing PostScript tutorial, PostScript hints  and
tricks,  a  column  on the cover art, which will be different for
each issue of the Journal, and articles  on  advanced  topics  in
PostScript  programming,  written by PostScript software develop-
ers.
     From time to time we'll also print articles on subjects  not
strictly  related  to  PostScript  but of general interest to our
readers in the printing and publishing industry.
     The PostScript Language Journal is  published  quarterly  by
Pipeline Associates, Inc.

                  ____________________________
            Coming in January:  The Premier Issue of
                 The PostScript Language Journal

PostScript Tutorial:  Part 1
     The first  in  a  series  of  tutorials  on  the  PostScript
     language.

Typeface Protection
     Quality typefaces can take over a year to  create,  yet  the
     printed  version  of  the face itself cannot be copyrighted.
     Charles Bigelow discusses various forms of typeface  protec-
     tion.

When 300 DPI Isn't Enough
     A  comparison  between  laser  printer  output  and   photo-
     typesetter output.

Viewpoint
     The complete interview with Steve MacDonald  of  Adobe  Sys-
     tems, Inc.

Tips and Tricks
     A collection of useful PostScript routines for  manipulating
     the font dictionary.

Cover Art
     Spiral text.

Mac Library
     Getting there from here:  talking  directly  to  the  Laser-
     Writer.

Subscription Information:
     One Year (4 Issues)     $15
     Two Years (8 Issues)    $25
     Canada and Mexico add $2
     Overseas add $4
     All payments must be in U.S. Dollars

Mail payment to
     The PostScript Language Journal
     P.O. Box 5763
     Parsippany, NJ 07054

For more information send UNIX mail to
     Pat Wood
     {ihnp4,harpo}!floyd!phw5!phw

Note:  A copy of the Preview Issue of the PostScript Journal (in
       PostScript form) will be posted to mod.sources.

End of INFO-MAC Digest