[mod.mac] Delphi Mac Digest V2 #53

SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (Jeffrey Shulman) (10/20/86)

Delphi Mac Digest          Monday, 20 October 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 53

Today's Topics:
     RE: TurboCharger problems (Re: Msg 13848)
     RE: PostScript Escape Font (Re: Msg 13854)
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #84 (Re: Msg 13844)
     RE: Radius FPD (Re: Msg 13879)
     RE: Radius FPD (Re: Msg 13888)
     RE: Radius FPD (Re: Msg 13909)
     RE: Radius FPD (Re: Msg 13888)
     RE: HyperDrive 2000 (Re: Msg 13819)
     RE: HyperDrive 2000 (Re: Msg 13821)
     RE: HyperDrive 2000 (Re: Msg 13822)
     RE: HyperDrive 2000 (Re: Msg 13855)
     RE: HyperDrive 2000 (Re: Msg 13885)
     RE: Motorola et al (Re: Msg 13828)
     Problem with off-screen bitmaps.
     Question on contents of \"BootDrive\"
     RE: Point in Oval (Re: Msg 867)
     RE: Point in Oval (Re: Msg 867)
     RE: Point in Ovel (Re: Msg 873)
     RE: Microsoft cuts copy protection (Re: Msg 13905)
     RE: Word processing for Welsh?
     MicahDrive 30 XT
     Prob: interpreting Pascal to C - HELP!
     Apple SCSI
     RE: Apple SCSI (Re: Msg 13921)
     Novation Professional 2400
     RE: Novation Professional 2400 (Re: Msg 13923)
     This is long for Forum...
     RE: medical systems/where are you? (Re: Msg 13551)
     RE: medical systems/where are you? (Re: Msg 13927)
     Tempo on Hyper 2000
     Hyper 2000
     RE: Hyper 2000 (Re: Msg 13955)
     RE: Hyper 2000 (Re: Msg 13961)
     RE: Hyper 2000 (Re: Msg 13965)
     WORD fonts

From: PEABO (13863)
Subject: RE: TurboCharger problems (Re: Msg 13848)
Date: 15-OCT 23:18 Bugs & Features

Tell me about it ... ID=02 is not an acceptable error message for "you
ought not to use Quick Quit" and I would like very much to know what
is going on, ESPECIALLY since an innocuous little utility of mine that
never harmed a flea is one of the programs that causes a crash!

peter

------------------------------

From: ASMCOR (13866)
Subject: RE: PostScript Escape Font (Re: Msg 13854)
Date: 15-OCT 23:33 Business Mac

It was mentioned in MacTutor. You can make your own, with the
instructions there. Basically, it's a font with the size set to zero,
so it becomes invisble, that's all
  Jan

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (13876)
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #84 (Re: Msg 13844)
Date: 16-OCT 03:59 Network Digests

 > From: blh@vlsi.cs.cmu.edu (Bruce Horn)
 > Subject: Re: Stupid Question on Disk Space
 > Dividing by 1000 instead of 1024 was basically a marketing decision, and an
 > apparently defendable one

One wonders, then, why the original Mac wasn't sold with 131K of memory...that
way it would have more than the IBM PCjr.

 > From: bates@ssdevo.dec.com (Ken Bates   DTN 522-2039)
 > Subject: Question on contents of \"BootDrive\"

You realize that bootDrive is really a WDRefNum under HFS.  Under MFS, it's a
vRefNum -- and when you boot from a floppy, the floppy has vRefNum -1.

David Dunham     "Efficiency is intelligent laziness." Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: DWB (13888)
Subject: RE: Radius FPD (Re: Msg 13879)
Date: 16-OCT 06:26 Hardware & Peripherals

Saw my first Radius today at ComputerWare.  Do they just have one that
is poorly adjusted or are they all real badly focussed around the
edges? THis one was bad enought that I really couldn't consider
working on one for any length of time.

David

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (13909)
Subject: RE: Radius FPD (Re: Msg 13888)
Date: 17-OCT 00:25 Hardware & Peripherals

rep 13888 My Radius is not perfectly focused either, but 1) neither is my Mac
(though less area is out of focus); 2) it's not bad enough not to use.  I'm
gonna get a hardware oriented friend to try to tweak it.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (13918)
Subject: RE: Radius FPD (Re: Msg 13909)
Date: 17-OCT 09:10 Hardware & Peripherals

What monitor are they using?  Are monitors like hard disks, made only be a few
companies and OEM's everywhere?

Ric

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK (13974)
Date: 19-OCT 03:55 Hardware & Peripherals

The only one I saw did have slightly fuzzy edges.  It didn't seem very bad at
the time but I was so impressed with the demo that I might not have been very
objective.  I think Dave can shed so more light on it.

I did mention the fuzziness to Burrill Smith (the designer of said
hardware) and he was extremely defensive, saying something to the
effect that "it is the current state of the tecnology" and anything
better would cost an arm and a leg.  I believe Sun Workstation type
monitors are a few grand...

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK (13880)
Subject: RE: HyperDrive 2000 (Re: Msg 13819)
Date: 16-OCT 04:10 Hardware & Peripherals

Ric:

I've been using a 12mhz 3 to 1 board for a few months (i think about the same
speed as the Hyper) and I've come to the conclusion that 2x speed is not as
dramatic as one might think.

I still wish the machine is faster (who doesn't).  I really notice the speed
when I go back to using a regular Mac.  Those ZoomRects really crawl.

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK (13881)
Subject: RE: HyperDrive 2000 (Re: Msg 13821)
Date: 16-OCT 04:13 Hardware & Peripherals

Gee, my 321 board hasn't any sw problems, except for the one I mentioned
regarding Pheonix 3D.  When I say no software problems, I mean none that are
above and beyond any experienced by a Mac+ or a straight 2MB upgrade.

There's always the old stuff that's hard coded for 512K (or even 128K, if I may
date myself).

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK (13882)
Subject: RE: HyperDrive 2000 (Re: Msg 13822)
Date: 16-OCT 04:14 Hardware & Peripherals

I don't know about Duval's priorities.  The GS already has Megamax C being
supported by Apple as APW C.

I never liked ANY of his stuff.

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK (13885)
Subject: RE: HyperDrive 2000 (Re: Msg 13855)
Date: 16-OCT 04:27 Hardware & Peripherals

I don't want to sound like a jerk but I always thought one of the worst things
about General Computer was their tendency to be over ambitious with their
software, mucking with things they really don't need too.

Does anyone remember trap dispatcher rewrite that caused certain code using the
sound driver to trash hard disks?

Sigh.

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (13893)
Subject: RE: HyperDrive 2000 (Re: Msg 13885)
Date: 16-OCT 09:49 Hardware & Peripherals

Your impressions of the speed mirror my own.  The Mac isn't changed in
character, but one is struck by the little hesitations in a "normal"
system after getting used to the 12MHz one.  It really seems quite
similar to switching between a hard disk and floppy disks, although
we're dealing with the opposite half of the system (I/O vs. CPU).  It
also seems quite a bit like going from an X/Lisa to a Mac Plus/SCSI
drive.

From my limited experience with the Prodigy 4, it seems like that is a
more fundamental character change in the Mac -- something we can
expect with the Open Mac generation of 68020/68881/ 4MB Macs.
Especially if they have a nice large non-volatile RAM cache/disk
<grin>

Ric

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK (13884)
Subject: RE: Motorola et al (Re: Msg 13828)
Date: 16-OCT 04:18 Hardware & Peripherals

There's a whole suite of doc on the 68000 family chips by Motorola being
published by them.Hmm... very strange but my 881 reference manual does not seem
to contain an address.  Try a good bookstore.  I think they can get it, if they
don't have it in stock.

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (13890)
Subject: Problem with off-screen bitmaps.
Date: 16-OCT 06:34 MUGS Online

To: larryh@tekcbi.UUCP (Larry Hutchinson)

> I swear that I have found a case where quickdraw does not ignore the visRgn
> when drawing into an off-screen bitmap.
> ...  It's as if qd is not aware that the bitmap is off-screen.

QuickDraw never ignores the visRgn when drawing anywhere.  QuickDraw
never cares whether it's drawing to the screen or not.

IM, p. I-149: "The visRgn has no effect on images that aren't displayed on the
screen. ... Unlike the visRgn, the clipRgn affects the image even if it isn't
displayed on the screen."

BUT, IM, p. I-155: "Drawing occurs ... always within the intersection
of the grafPort's portBits.bounds and portRect, and clipped to its
visRgn and clipRgn."  Similarly on pp I-156, I-187 (ScrollRect) and
I-188 (CopyBits).

The former statement is misleading.  I think the translation should be
something like this: "When a grafPort is created, its visRgn is set to
its portRect.  If it's offscreen, the Window Manager will not diddle
the visRgn and hence -- since it encompasses the entire portRect --
the visRgn will not have any independent effect on clipping of
drawings."  By using a pre-existing window's port, you violated the
assumption underlying the statement.

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (13891)
Subject: Question on contents of \"BootDrive\"
Date: 16-OCT 06:36 MUGS Online

To: bates@ssdevo.dec.com (Ken Bates   DTN 522-2039)

> Does anyone know if the global location "BootDrive" (location 0x210) is
> really valid? If I access it on either a HD20 or a HyperDrive, the contents
> are 0x8023, which strikes me as a rather weird drive number. If I take this
> number as valid and skim through the vcb queue looking for a match, I never
> find it (looking for a match between BootDrive and vcbDrvNum). Booting from
> a floppy, BootDrive turns out to be 0xFFFF, which is even stranger.

When the startup volume is an HFS volume, BootDrive contains a WDRefNum which
refers to the System folder.  You can determine the vRefNum by calling
GetWDInfo.  When the startup volume is an MFS volume, BootDrive contains a
vRefNum (e.g., $FFFF).  The variable at $210 would be more appropriately named
"BootRefNum" -- it never contains a drive number except for a short period
during the actual boot process.

------------------------------

From: SBOAG (872)
Subject: RE: Point in Oval (Re: Msg 867)
Date:  16-OCT 15:56 Programming Techniques

PtInRgn() is way too slow (at least that 's what I found).  I have to set up a
region and then draw in it and then do the test and then dispose of the region.
this is too slow for one elipse, much less a nested series.  As it is, I first
test to see if the p oint is inside of the rect and then if it is I test to see
if it's inside of the elipse.  This seems to be pretty fast, and if I can get
rid of the floating point, as peter suggested, it will be very fast.

    thanks,
        Scott Boag

------------------------------

From: SBOAG (873)
Date:  16-OCT 16:03 Programming Techniques

Gee, that's an idea!  My procedure as it stands is kind of pretty,
that is I like the way it looks, so I might keep it for a while.
Meanwhile now I'm trying to figure how to find if a point is in an
arbitrary line.
 I have a formula that goes if y = (m*x)+b then true, but it also
needs floating point and looses it on a vertical line (???). When I
get all this figured out I'll download it as boag's special
point/topology library (or something like that). What about a point in
an arbitrary poly????
    Thanks,
        Scott Boag

------------------------------

From: PEABO (874)
Subject: RE: Point in Ovel (Re: Msg 873)
Date:  16-OCT 22:22 Programming Techniques

You need to think like Bill Atkinson.  Bill didn't use floating point for much
of anything in Quickdraw.

There is another formula for a line which will be much more helpful.
Let's suppose you have two points on the line (which determine the
line of course) and call their coordinates (x1,y1) and (x2,y2).  The
formula for the line is:

(x - x1) * (y2 - y1) - (y - y1) * (x2 - x1) = 0

No floating point.  Not even any awkward division.  Do be careful of the
arithmetic if you use extremely large coordinates.

PtOnPoly is left as an exercise for the student, because it's harder.

;->
peter

------------------------------

From: CHUQ (13911)
Subject: RE: Microsoft cuts copy protection (Re: Msg 13905)
Date: 17-OCT 01:00 MUGS Online

Also MacPublisher II, whihc, acording to the latest MacWorld, has a
new release out, been renamed Letrapage (in honor of their new owner)
and has a bunch of new feathres.

What I'd REALLY like to know is why MacWorld, with a three month or so
leadtime, knows about this while a registered user has never heard
word one.  I expect that this is still vaporware for one thing ("by
this time, we plan to ahve..."  but I'll find out for sure tomorrow.

mutter.  I LOVE solid customer support.  Can't find it, but I love it.

chuq

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (13910)
Subject: RE: Word processing for Welsh?
Date: 17-OCT 00:26 Network Digests

 > From: Mark Nodine <mnodine@labs-b.bbn.com>
 > Subject: Word processing for Welsh?

MacAuthor (aka LaserQuill) allows you to overstrike arbitrary characters.
Editing a font shouldn't be that big a deal, tho.  I recommend FONTastic, but
you could use ResEdit.

 David Dunham     "A mind is like a parachute.  It only functions when open."
 Maitreya Design

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (13913)
Subject: MicahDrive 30 XT
Date: 17-OCT 04:04 Hardware & Peripherals

A few days ago I reported that there was significant doubt that the 30 XT would
be included in the new product line.  Today I'm told that it's "almost certain"
that it WILL be included.

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (13914)
Subject: Prob: interpreting Pascal to C - HELP!
Date: 17-OCT 05:12 MUGS Online

To: MACA.AFCC@AFCC-4.ARPA

>  FillRect(&myPort.portBits.Bounds, &Pat);

The "b" in "bounds" must be lower-case.  Unlike Pascal, C is case-sensitive.

------------------------------

From: TWEK (13921)
Subject: Apple SCSI
Date: 17-OCT 09:34 Hardware & Peripherals

Does anybody know what the part number (MO????...) is for the new Apple SCSI
hard disk?  Also, when will they be shipping?  Also, if we're making a mistake
buying this drive, please let us know.  Thanks!

Ted.

------------------------------

From: HALL (13922)
Subject: RE: Apple SCSI (Re: Msg 13921)
Date: 17-OCT 19:30 Hardware & Peripherals

According to two local dealers, they're already shipping.  I've seen several in
the stores.  I don't know what the part number is, though.  One complaint:
they're a little noisy.  They sound like a small jet.

Brian

------------------------------

From: HALL (13923)
Subject: Novation Professional 2400
Date: 17-OCT 19:37 Telecommunicating

I recently bought a Novation Professional 2400 modem.  It wasn't
actually new, but was unused.  This modem has a removeable
ROM/dipswitch module, which makes for easy upgrades.  I called
Novation to find out what the latest version was, and found out that
there was a newer version.  (9, mine was 5) I asked them how to get an
update, and they told me to send it in (with an RMA number), and
they'd update it.  The update was supposed to take a week to ten days.
Well, I got a modem back today.  It's not the modem I sent in, but an
entirely new modem, including the transformer, phone cable, and
manual.  (I only sent the modem in.)  And, it's version 10.  They even
sent it UPS Blue.  And how much did it cost?  Nothing.  Nada.  Now,
that's pretty good service.  They didn't even ask for a receipt for
proof of purchase.  The modem is great (the best one on the market),
and they've added some new features.

Brian

In case this gets posted to the net:
Man on the street:  "What's a net for?"
Man in white coat:  "Catching a bunch of loonies."

------------------------------

From: HALL (13934)
Subject: RE: Novation Professional 2400 (Re: Msg 13923)
Date: 17-OCT 23:36 Telecommunicating

Well, it appears that Novation has added some new features:  they've gone fully
Hayes 2400 compatible.  The Professional 2400 no longer has DIP switches. They
use non-volatile RAM now.  (No wonder I couldn't get the "cover" off of the
place where the switches should be!)  They've also added some new commands, new
registers, and new testing features.

Brian

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (13925)
Subject: This is long for Forum...
Date: 17-OCT 21:00 Creative Pursuits

WOW!  MUSIC MOUSE!

Normally I try to be pretty objective about software I talk about here.  It is
hard in this case....if you are interested in computer music or synthesizers,
you'll want this one...a "next step" into computer music.

"MUSIC MOUSE, An Intelligent Instrument" doesn't say half of it.
First, just a bit of background.  Computer music and synths both rely
primarily on various methods of modulating a sound wave, be it square,
ramp, sawtooth, whatever. The basic sound of most synthesizers and
computer circuits sound very dull and lifeless without a varying
degree of modulation.  Sometimes the modulation paths and such are
programmed into a synth voice.  But the tools available to most
musicians to physically control modulation are quite limited, i.e. a
wheel next to the keyboard.

A few years ago, Bob Moog (long O) designed a multi-layered touchplace that
allowed a musician to control three forms of modulation at once, a stroke
horizontally would control pitch, vertical movement could introduce a voltage
into a second oscillator for a filter sweep, while pressure on the pad could
control loudness.  The result was a great leap in musical expression, but
since Bob and a small staff built these units by hand, also a large dent in
anyone's pocket ($600 or so).

Now we have this cute little mouse and a way to read it's direction.  While
I suppose it would be possible to recreate Moog's touchplate on the Mac,
Music Mouse is much more than that.  Pushing your mouse, you actually "push
music" around in real time, along vertical and horizontal axis of a piano
keyboard.  The program creates melody and harmony in relation to the movement
of the mouse, but under rather total control of the user.  Keyboard options
include type of harmony (tonal, chromatic, etc.), transposition, voicing,
counterpoint, dynamics, articulations, electronic orchestration, computer
generated melodic-rhythmic patterning, chord-melody or voice pair formats,
manual or automatic note generation, tempo, loudness, timbral and most MIDI
controls.

If that last paragraph lost you, the good news...you don't need (piano) key-
board ability to "play" Music Mouse, or even the ability to read musical
notation.  A novice "playing" Music Mouse into one of the new "grand piano"
samplers could give George Winston and Windham Hill a run for their money
on keyboard improvisaton.  _With_ some musical knowledge and experience, it's
even more fun.

While Music Mouse can output to the Mac's internal speaker, the most advanced
functions can only be enjoyed when you connect it via a MIDI adapter to any
MIDI synthesizer.  Since a musical keyboard is not needed (though it will
remain live while Music Mouse is running, should you want to "mouse" with
one hand and play melody with the other), the less expensive "rack mount"
synths make a great box for MM.  If you really want to explore farther along,
the ext. speaker jack of the Mac can be used to control voltage on older
_analog_ synths, allowing vast grounds for atonal studies, etc.

So what company is putting out this great program, and at what megabuck price?
It's all done by a young female programmer in NYC, Laurie Spiegel....at $59.95,
not-copyperverted.

If you'd like to order the program, send payment to Laurie Spiegel, 175 Duane
Street, New York City, NY 10013.  If you'd like a very nicely done demo tape
of what the program can do, send $5.  If you'd like more information, next
month's issue of Keyboard magazine will feature an article on Laurie and her
work in computer music.

Alf

------------------------------

From: NANOCHIP (13927)
Subject: RE: medical systems/where are you? (Re: Msg 13551)
Date: 17-OCT 21:16 Hardware & Peripherals

Barry>
(Sorry for the delay in replying...been busy)
 Judging from the support that Blythe Software was providing the Omnis 3
Developers at Boston MacExpo I don't get the impression that any of the
products in the Omnis 3 Business directory are from amatures, but from
professional software developers.  (But since I havent' had any personal
dealings with Blythe et al I'm just giving you my initial impression).
As for templates (such as for Multiplan, FileVision) these programs are
full blown customized applications developed wtih Omnis3+ .
 On support, of the 24 seperate medical packages listed in the Omnis
Business directory there are 11 which specifically mention some form of
support, both phone and  on-site training available (7 of these 11 are
general Medical Office Management type systems). Demo disks are
available for many of the packages too (although I assume you would need
Omnis3 to run the demo).

As a fer instance: "Peak Performance"  (from Silicon Medical Systems,
483 Murphy Road, Medford OR. 97504, (504) 779-9286) is a fully relational
accounting and clinical data base system for the physician's office ...
"We back our product and provide full support. Free on-line help from
Silicon Medical Systems whenever needed. We value you as a customer."

 There are many more but just too many to mention here. Call Blythe Sofware
at (415) 571-0222. The Omnis Business Directory (published quarterly)
is $7 for a single issue.
 Wish I had some first hand experience with Blythe, but I haven't even had
a chance to use Omnis3 yet myself!  Anyway, I hope this helps you to gain a
few more Mac converts.  :-)

 Perhaps some of the more experienced Omnis users out there such as
MACINTOUCH or STEVEMALLER would be the ones to ask about Omnis3+
and Blythe Software.

<Chip

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (13941)
Subject: RE: medical systems/where are you? (Re: Msg 13927)
Date: 18-OCT 05:06 Hardware & Peripherals

We're not experienced Omnis 3 users here, but we've got a lot of friends who
are.  One could certainly get an amateurish impression from the incredibly ugly
Omnis Business directory...

Ric

------------------------------

From: HSTARR (13939)
Subject: Tempo on Hyper 2000
Date: 18-OCT 03:27 Hardware & Peripherals

Ric -- Use installer 1.1b, but before you do, use Resedit to renumber
the Hyper INIT, "idinit" to the first available number above 3 (mine
was 4). Because the Hyper 2000 INIT moves things around as it adds the
GCC 1.5mb of memory, all that moving around has to be done before
things that play with "BufPtr" get a chance.  This includes things
like StartupDesk, Tempo etc. Pity Macsbug doesn't work the same. BTW
-- don't re-run HyperInstall or you will get a rude shock!! -- Harry

------------------------------

From: HSTARR (13955)
Subject: Hyper 2000
Date: 18-OCT 16:49 Hardware & Peripherals

Ric, have you noticed that when you create an HFS drawer with V3R1 s/w
that the drawer is now a minimum of 768k!!!! It appears that the
volume bitmap is being set up for a 20mb drive within each drawer (at
0.5k per bit, that is a hella of a lot of bits). Sheesh! When will
they get it right.  BTW - have you noticed that with HyperTools it
sometimes takes 2 passes to get the Drawer optimally optimised. At
least this Tool seems to work, and is great - we can at last Optimise
HFS drawers. Wish they would hurry up and add the Hyper Diagnostics.

On another note, have you seen all the trash that Hyperinstall adds to your
system file. Question: Why don't GCC put ALL their drivers in that ROM of
theirs? I can understand that configuration info should be Dynamic, but loading
Hyper 10, Hyper 20 and Hyper 2000 resources into your system is not real nice.
Harry

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (13961)
Subject: RE: Hyper 2000 (Re: Msg 13955)
Date: 18-OCT 22:05 Hardware & Peripherals

I talked with Jonathan Hurd Friday, and he said the latest HyperTools is
something like 1.10.  I've got an older 1.0 or 1.1.  (Do you know Jay Roth, the
programmer, located in San Fran?)  It still doesn't have all the goodies, but
they are apparently continuing work on it.  Yeah, I wish more stuff was in ROM
and more transparent, but I haven't dug much into it.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (13965)
Subject: RE: Hyper 2000 (Re: Msg 13961)
Date: 18-OCT 22:15 Hardware & Peripherals

By the way, they DO read the Delphi digests (just to check up on me... grin)

Ric

------------------------------

From: HSTARR (13967)
Subject: RE: Hyper 2000 (Re: Msg 13965)
Date: 18-OCT 22:27 Hardware & Peripherals

I am glad to hear they at least read something. Maybe they'll show
some interest in getting their FX20 s/w to work on Prodigy's!  I am
amazed at some vendor's attitudes -- But the Prodigy is a minority
(they say). Yes, at the moment. But when Apple releases their
inevitable faster machines (we all know they are based on 68020 or
greater chips), the problems that pioneers like me bring up, will
become acute.  And it's not as if I am some dumb fa..t; I'll even fix
their s/w for them! But no, we are just the Geese out there called
customers. Why, why should they have any of those things at all.
Customers are just pains in the a...!!  Come on boys -- wake up and
smell the coffee. Do it right the first time! Listen to people who
just might want to help. <<Flame off>> Harry

------------------------------

From: TSTEIN (876)
Subject: WORD fonts
Date:  19-OCT 00:22 Programming Techniques

I am writing a small utility to change one font to another in
Microsoft Word ( For example, change all Geneva to Helvetica).
Everything works fine, except that 12 point New York is stored not as
a font number and size in the Word file on disk, but just as an
indication that the characters are in the default font.  Does anyone
know 1) is the font and pointsize Word uses as default stored in the
document when saved? or 2) is there a way to modify Word to use a
different default font?

End of Delphi Mac Digest

-------