[mod.mac] INFO-MAC Digest V4 #133

INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (Moderator David Gelphman...) (10/23/86)

INFO-MAC Digest         Wednesday, 22 Oct 1986    Volume 4 : Issue 133

Today's Topics:
                             Re: FindWindow
                             Re: FindWindow
                          Apple numerics manual
                   Printing from within an application
                             Things from NGP
                              frontman.hqx
                                index.hqx
                            Setoptionkey.hqx
                                 rae.hqx
                       UTILITY-HP41C-ASSEMBLER.HQX
                               GAME-GO.HQX
                        Delphi Mac Digest V2 #53
                        Usenet Mac Digest V2 #86
                       graphics terminal emulators
                           MacWorld -- Dallas
                            Packit Shortcut!
                         Re: Megamax in Trouble?
                               Re: Megamax
                        Re: Megamax in trouble...
                            Mirror Hard disks
                      JASMINE HARD DISK info wanted
                                Mazewars
            Mac-XL Compatibility with the system and finder?
                              MacWorks 4??

From: stew%lhasa.UUCP@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
Date: 	20 Oct 86 11:50 EDT
Subject: Re: FindWindow

Dale -- it sounds like your development environment is screwed up.
Inside Mac is correct - thePt is NOT a VAR parameter for FindWindow.
Think about what it's doing -- it's not changing thePt, so there's
no need for it to be a VAR parameter.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 86 12:58:01 mdt
From: dlc%a@LANL.ARPA (Dale Carstensen)

Guess again, step through the ROM as it handles FindWindow, it de-references
the argument you gave it.  If your development environment allows you to pass
a value, it is "gluing" the address of the value to the argument it passes to
the trap itself!  If Apple is documenting its Lisa Pascal library in IM, then
maybe IM isn't exactly wrong, but in other universally used cases, the library
and the trap match.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 86 15:00:14 EDT
From: AP002049%BROWNVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Apple numerics manual

   Does anyone know how to get documentation on the transcendental and floating
 point packages? In Inside Mac, vol 2, it says that full documentation is given
 in the Apple Numerics Manual, but this is not listed in the Books in Print
books and does not appear to be available through APDA.

                                         Timothy Miller
                                         AP002049@BROWNVM (Bitnet)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1986 12:00 CDT
From: a.d. jensen  <UD040164%NDSUVM1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Printing from within an application

Much thanks to everyone who helped out with the TESETText problem.

Just one more problem, then hopefully, I'll be ok... :-)

Can someone either:
  1) Send me a routine which will allow an application the ability
     to print information to the printer choosen in CHOOSER ?  To
     clarify, I have written some code which, in my best estimation,
     should be sending a string to be printed out on the attached
     laser writer or image writer.  However, after getting the initial
     Print Dialog, I get 'Looking for Laserwriter Plus', then 'Starting
     Job', and then 'Processing Data', and this is as far as it goes.
  2) Direct me to someplace (like a book) that explains this process.
     Reading Inside Macintosh has given me a lot of ideas, none of which
     work, and several headaches.  Apple suggests 'finding a user group',
     which in this town consists of a bunch of Apple II users.  Unlocking
     the Toolbox simply disables its PRINT command with the statement that
     there is too much involved in printing to be covered in the book.

I am obviously missing something, probably a dumb error on my part, and
I would once again appreciate any help that could be tossed my way.  Reply
by mail, and I'll summarize if there is sufficient interest.

<UD040164%NDSUVM1.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>

a.d. jensen
Department of Geography
University of North Dakota
Grand Forks, ND

"Forty below keeps out the riff-raff"  -- North Dakota state motto

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 86 08:47:43 edt
From: jonathan@mitre-gateway.arpa (Jonathan Leblang)
Subject: Things from NGP

Here are some programs that I found on the computer at ngp.utexas.edu.
(enclosed in seperate files)
FeetAndInches.hqx  -  a DA that calculates in fractions w/o roundoff
PrettyPrint_2.01.hqx - a text file printer that formats Pascal & C listings
PrettyPrint.doc - TEXT format of the docs for PrettyPrint

Jonathan Leblang
jonathan@mitre.arpa

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-FEETANDINCHES.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-PRETTYPRINT.DOC
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-PRETTYPRINT-201.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 86 08:50:31 edt
From: jonathan@mitre-gateway.arpa (Jonathan Leblang)
Subject: frontman.hqx

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: FRONT MAN
Date: 19-JUL-1986 09:44 by TOOLSMITH

This allows you to select any number of files from any number of folders to be
submitted to an application. A list of file names can be submitted in a file
whose name ends in '.FILE'. The selected files can be either printed or opened.
Documentation explains how to customize using ResEd. Works with clpr, MacWrite,
all of the editors I am aware of....

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-FRONTMAN.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 86 08:52:07 edt
From: jonathan@mitre-gateway.arpa (Jonathan Leblang)
Subject: index.hqx

In order to create indexes for the Rascal manual, I wrote an
application called Index (which is below, in Binhex 4.0 format).
Index reads MacWrite 4.5 files one page at a time, and lets
you add index entries to a separate file.  The files created
are text files with one entry per line -- these entries are *not*
alphabetized.  We just uploaded the resulting files to our
Vax and sorted them, then downloaded back to the Mac for formatting.

This is far from the last word in indexing Macintosh files (although
it is the last word from me :-)).  Apparently some company is trying
to get such a product on the market, and I can't wait to see it.
But, in the meantime, some of you may (like us) find a use
for this program.

In addition to this file, I have posted:

  Index.help.hqx (Binhex help file:  place it on the same disk
	as Index so that minimal help text will be available.

Scott Gillespie
Reed College

{decvax, ucbvax, pur-ee, uw-beaver, masscomp, cbosg, aat,
 mit-ems, psu-cs, uoregon, orstcs, ihnp4, uf-cgrl, ssc-vax}!tektronix
								\
						                 +--!reed!maclab
{teneron, ogcvax, cadic, oresoft, grpwre,     	         	/
 	  harvard, psu-cs, omen, isonvax, nsc-pdc}-------------+

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-MACWRITE-INDEX.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-MACWRITE-INDEX-HELP.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 86 10:33:37 edt
From: jonathan@mitre-gateway.arpa (Jonathan Leblang)
Subject: Setoptionkey.hqx

one more from ngp.utexas.edu...
allows the prefixing of the option key (for accent characters) to be
turned off.

Somebody wanted a desk accessory to turn of the option key mapping
of multi-keystroke characters to single characters.  This is it.
Also allows you to make the change permanent.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-OPTIONKEY-DISABLE.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 86 10:36:19 edt
From: jonathan@mitre-gateway.arpa (Jonathan Leblang)
Subject: rae.hqx

This the a Macintosh implementation of the blit demo "rae".
It was ported from UNIX to Aztec C.

It may even hold your interest for about 30 seconds.

Steve Hawley
joevax!sdh

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-BLIT-RAE.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 86 23:03:46 PDT
From: woody@Romeo.Caltech.Edu (William E. Woody)
Subject: UTILITY-HP41C-ASSEMBLER.HQX

  In order to justifying a barwand for my HP41C calculator, and having
borrowed the book "Creating Your Own HP-41 Bar Code Manual" for a weekend,
I wrote an HP41 "Cross assembler" to generate barcode from source files
created on a Macintosh.  Great for developing stuff for your very own
HP.

- William Woody                              mac > /|\ && ][n
  woody%romeo@hamlet.caltech.edu

ps  This is public domain software.  Any complaints, suggestions, comments,
    etc., send 'em to me.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-HP41C-ASSEMBLER.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 86 08:50:57 edt
From: jonathan@mitre-gateway.arpa (Jonathan Leblang)
Subject: GAME-GO.HQX

This is the latest version of my Go program.  Most of the
suggestions made by people on the net have been implemented.
Bug reports and suggestions welcome at loganj@byuvax.bitnet.

This file is almost 68k bytes long, after unhexing it's 50K.

[ ARCHIVED AS

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-GO.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 20 Oct 86 08:34:08 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #53

Delphi Mac Digest          Monday, 20 October 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 53

Today's Topics:
     RE: TurboCharger problems (Re: Msg 13848)
     RE: PostScript Escape Font (Re: Msg 13854)
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #84 (Re: Msg 13844)
     RE: Radius FPD (Re: Msg 13879)
     RE: Radius FPD (Re: Msg 13888)
     RE: Radius FPD (Re: Msg 13909)
     RE: Radius FPD (Re: Msg 13888)
     RE: HyperDrive 2000 (Re: Msg 13819)
     RE: HyperDrive 2000 (Re: Msg 13821)
     RE: HyperDrive 2000 (Re: Msg 13822)
     RE: HyperDrive 2000 (Re: Msg 13855)
     RE: HyperDrive 2000 (Re: Msg 13885)
     RE: Motorola et al (Re: Msg 13828)
     Problem with off-screen bitmaps.
     Question on contents of \"BootDrive\"
     RE: Point in Oval (Re: Msg 867)
     RE: Point in Oval (Re: Msg 867)
     RE: Point in Ovel (Re: Msg 873)
     RE: Microsoft cuts copy protection (Re: Msg 13905)
     RE: Word processing for Welsh?
     MicahDrive 30 XT
     Prob: interpreting Pascal to C - HELP!
     Apple SCSI
     RE: Apple SCSI (Re: Msg 13921)
     Novation Professional 2400
     RE: Novation Professional 2400 (Re: Msg 13923)
     This is long for Forum...
     RE: medical systems/where are you? (Re: Msg 13551)
     RE: medical systems/where are you? (Re: Msg 13927)
     Tempo on Hyper 2000
     Hyper 2000
     RE: Hyper 2000 (Re: Msg 13955)
     RE: Hyper 2000 (Re: Msg 13961)
     RE: Hyper 2000 (Re: Msg 13965)
     WORD fonts

[ ARCHIVED AS

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV2-53.ARC

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 21 Oct 86 16:25:14 EDT
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #86

Usenet Mac Digest        Tuesday, 21 October 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 86

     need info on tape-backup to be used with both Macs and PCs...
     Re: Serial Driver Question
     Re: Question on VersaTerm2.01
     Re: Algebraic manipulators for the Mac
     Apple HD20SC queries
     Fall Disk Prices
     Re: Request for digitizer information
     Re: Algebraic manipulators for the Mac
     Re: Fall Disk Prices	(Bernoulli Box)
     External File System Question
     Re: Apple, just give me what I want!
     Re: Graphics Magician
     Query: Prolog for the Macintosh
     Aztec C problem with pow() and exp(), and a fix
     Re: Keyboard Layout
     New Apple ad campaign
     i'll hate myself in the morning
     Is apple falling apart?
     Re: Aztec C problem with pow() and exp(), and a fix
     Application State & Desk Accessories
     Re: Keyboard Layout
     Converting files from Lisa format to Mac format
     Re: Is apple falling apart?
     BioStat
     MacWrite Creation Source Wanted

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-86.ARC

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 1986 12:48 SA
From: Tero Siili  <FYS-TS%FINHUT.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: graphics terminal emulators

My previous message left incomplete, mailing system has different function
key settings...

Anyway. I am using a VM/SP system and will probably get Mac+ soon. A couple
of questions:
- are there PD or shareware/freeware graphics terminal emulators available;
  ability to store pictures in some graphics format required. Does anyone
  have any experience on these(if so, please mail directly to me).
- do these or commercial emulators store pictures on Mac's disks in Paint
  or Draw format or both?
- do the emulators support LaserWriter or does one need to print them with
  Paint or Draw?

Thanks in advance.

Tero

[ note from moderator:  VersaTerm is NOT public domain or shareware but is
reasonably priced $99 list, $79 at Computerware. It will emulate both a
VT100 and Textronix 4014 terminal. You can save the graphics drawn in MacPaint
format and print those documents on a LaserWriter if you wish.
   A companion program to VersaTerm is Tekprint. This program will allow
you to zoom the graphics as well as save them in MacDraw file format for
later editing. Tekprint can print to the Laserwriter using vector graphics
rather than Macpaint (bitmapped) graphics. The resulting output is much
superior. VersaTerm and Tekprint are intended to be mainly used with switcher
so that you can draw the plot using the mainframe and zoom, etc with Tekprint
A package consisting of VersaTerm + Tekprint is about $130 thru Computerware.
   The best package is VersaTerm pro and is about $230 thru Computerware which
combines VersaTerm and Tekprint into one program and is extremely nice. It
makes using the mainframe with the Mac quite nice.
   One comment about using these programs with your system. I use them on
a VM/SP system. Whether they work on your system depends on whether your
system will drive TexTronix terminals. If they will drive the 4014 terminal
then you are OK, if not then more investigation may be required.  DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 86 14:40 CDT
From: <BOYD%TAMLSR.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU> (Scott T. Boyd)
Subject: MacWorld -- Dallas

What's more fun that Whiplash the Monkey Cowboy?  As about fifty
Expo-goers found out, Photon is!  The after-the-show get-together was
thrown together by fun-loving Mac programmers from ICOM Simulations,
D^2 Software, Software To Go, Banzai Binaries, and several others.
Even hardware people showed up (Radius and Motorola).  It probably
goes without saying, but it was a BLAST!  (Photon is an infrared shoot-em-up
game played complete with smoke-filled room and futuristic sound effects).

This is the kind of thing that keeps these shows fun.  It's a cryin' shame
that some overzealous MacWorld flunky with a walkie-talkie took our flyers
out of our hands and crumpled them up.  Getting together and enjoying life
with fellow Mac'ers was fun.  If Photon has made it to California by January,
look for the 2nd Shootout in SF.

Oh yeah, new stuff.  Hmmm... a couple of desktop publishing packages
(Ragtime & LetraPage? [macpublisher ii renamed?]).  Visual Interface
Programming (VIP) looks interesting, as does Stella.  Both are visual
programming languages.  Several new games were there.  One (forgot the
name, sorry) is a fun adventure with great sound and attention to details.
I bought Uninvited just for the About... sequence.  Once again, I simply
wished I had more money to buy MazeWars+ and a whole raft of other things.

SCSI drives were everywhere.  How many names can they come up with anyway?

scott

"Whiplash, the Monkey Cowboy"  Mesquite Rodeo

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 86 13:04 PDT
From: PUGH%CCV.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Packit Shortcut!

If you use Packit a lot like I do (to collect stuff to place on Bulletin
Boards or to send through the network(s) or to archive programs), then you
are probably tired of selecting each file with Packit's SFGetFile prompt.

Instead, pull all the files you want to pack onto the desktop.  Also pull
Packit onto the desktop.  Now select all of these files (data and the program)
and double click on Packit.  It will then request options and a destination
filename and pack all the files into one Packit file.  Then, when you return
to the desktop you can reselect them and pick the Put Away option from the
File menu to place all the files back where you got them from, regardless of
how many different folders they were pulled out of.

This has made life much easier.  Congratulations to (Harry & (Steve & Bruce))
for making their programs work so well together.  It just goes to show that it
ain't the hardware that makes the Mac so special, it's the software.

Jon

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 86 08:20:13 PDT
From: John Bruner <jdb@s1-c.arpa>
Subject: Re: Megamax in Trouble?

I too am a Megamax user, but I've finally exhausted my patience with
them.  I sent them my discs last August and received two discs
which supposedly contain release 3.0 beta.  Although the discs are
marked "System" and "Utility", they are nearly identical, and they
are hopelessly incomplete.

Megamax always promises imminent delivery.  They've been promising
to ship "this week" or "this month" since last spring.  The person
answering the telephone seems to be losing her patience (but I have
little sympathy for her, since I've lost mine as well).

I'm not surprised that Megamax C doesn't run on a MacPlus.  It runs
on my 512Ke, but I have to use System 2.0 and Finder 4.1.

In addition to their poor delivery, is impossible to write a
program in Megamax C which can be transported to a compiler that
uses 32-bit "int"s, because Megamax C defines "short" integers to be
8 bits wide.  In general their compiler does not have a good handle
on types and type casts.  (This caused me no end of grief.)

I can think of no good reason to buy Megamax C now.  The code quality
isn't that good (although it is better than some of the other
compilers out there).  It takes a long time to compile, and there is
no symbolic debugger (this is also supposed to be available "soon").
It isn't even price competitive.

I intend to dump Megamax and buy Lightspeed C for now, and MPW C when
I get a Mac with more than 512K of memory.  I suspect that if and
when they finally release their upgrade, they'll discover that their
Mac market (they're also advertising a development system for the ST)
has dried up.
--
  John Bruner (S-1 Project, Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory)
  MILNET: jdb@mordor [jdb@s1-c.ARPA]	(415) 422-0758

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 86 09:58:54 PDT
From: woody@Juliet.Caltech.Edu (William E. Woody)
Subject: Re: Megamax

    A long time ago, I sent in my Megamax C compiler version 2.1b.  About a
month ago, I received the beta version of Megamax C version 3.0.  Even though
only a beta version, the C compiler is very solid, and does work with
HFS.  Some of the utilities (besides the C compiler and the Linker) have not
been fixed to work properly with HFS; FastEddie (the editor now being bundled
into the Megamax package) doesn't have a print command; The BATCH program
dies on me with an "INTERNAL ERROR"--you can't have everything with a beta
version, I suppose.

    There are many good points however.  Megamax C has "search paths", allowing
you to put the #include files, the SYSLIB file, and the object files anywhere
on the disk you wish.  For HFS compatability, a new data type called FILENAME
has been defined, with the directory and volumn encrypted into the front
of the string.  And if you dislike FILENAME (I DO!), before calling any of the
UNIX file handling stuff, put the VREFNUM into the external integer _iovrefnum.
This variable contains the volumn reference number used in the UNIX file system
stuff, and is pre-initialized to 0.  (This feature existed on the 2.1 version
of SYSLIB, but was broken for creat().)

    Overall, the C compiler for HFS is excellent.  I can't wait for Megamax
to fix the BATCHX utility; then I can have automatic compilation of my
15 source files making one program.

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 86 16:43:55 CDT
From: Scott Comer <wert@rice.edu>

I just talked with Pete at Megamax, and he had this to say:

They are ready to ship anytime now. They were having some problems with
the FastEddie editor that they wanted to resolve before shipping.
Something to do with tabs, and some other stuff. There are no major
differences in the new system from the old, just bug fixes, new support,
and some sort of "source control" configuration stuff. Nothing like LSC.

Rumors that they are in trouble are completely unfounded. They are very
responsive to my questions on the phone, and seem to take time to make
sure things work like they should. I don't mind waiting for that. Not that
I like waiting, but they are a small company, and probably don't have as
much person-power as they could use.

In the meantime, I just put my current work on the desktop, and use
PutAway when I want to do something else. Works fine...

scott out.

I have no connections with Megamax, Inc., other than as a satisfied
customer.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 86  14:41:49 ADT
From: PAUL%Acadia.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Paul Steele - Acadia
Subject: Mirror Hard disks

Has anyone had any experience with Mirror Technology's products, in
particular their hard disks.  They seem to be one of the few companies
that have a Canadian distributor.  Their prices are also a bit higher
than some of the competition: $1195 for a 20 M hard disk.  Please send
any responses directly to my address below.

==> Paul@Acadia

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 86 18:17:05 EDT
From: cdx39!gold%adelie.UUCP@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
Subject: JASMINE HARD DISK info wanted

Howdy:
Anyone out there have any experience with a Jasmine direct
drive 20?  A friend of mine is considering buying one.
Any info on the drive or the company would be appreciated.

Thanks,

Mark Goldstein
path: {mit-eddie,harvax,inmet,rclex,adelie,mot,motbos}!cdx39!gold
Codex Corporation, Motorola Information Systems Group

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 86 09:29:54 edt
From: jonathan@mitre-gateway.arpa (Jonathan Leblang)
Subject: Mazewars

Does anyone know how to get Mazewars to work properly on a Mac+ ?  We just
hooked up our first Appletalk network, and were trying to test it using Mazewars
Everything seems to work, except that none of the pictures (title, eyes) seem
to be loaded in.  If there is a fix, I would appreciate any help I could get.
Thanks in advance.

Jonathan Leblang

jonathan@bert.arpa

------------------------------

Date: 21 Oct 86 13:31:00 EDT
From: Kent Johnson  <F95JOHNS%CARLETON.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Mac-XL Compatibility with the system and finder?

 I would greatly appreciate if someone could tell me what are the most up
to date versions of the system and finder running a Mac or Mac-Plus that
have been tested on a Mac-XL.
 At present, we are using version 4.1 of the finder and version 2.0 of the
system. I have received a Mac Compatibility Chart that indicates that version
5.1 of the finder is compatible, but that version 3.0 of the system is not.
Is this correct? Are there newer versions that have been tested?
                                            Thanks in advance
                                                             K.J.
                                                             K.J.

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 86 23:04:16 pdt
From: Dave McCarthy <dfmccrthy%brock.cdn@ubc.csnet>
Subject: MacWorks 4??

Does anyone have any information on the possibility of a pre-release or
whatever for MacWorks to support the hierarchical filing system?

End of INFO-MAC Digest