[mod.mac] INFO-MAC Digest V4 #134

INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (Moderator David Gelphman...) (10/24/86)

INFO-MAC Digest         Thursday, 23 Oct 1986     Volume 4 : Issue 134

Today's Topics:
                             Re: FindWindow
                             Re: FindWindow
             Re: Re: Prob: interpreting Pascal to C - HELP!
                              MacDraw bugs
                          Macwrite on the 68020
                  Re: postscript and Clipboard problems
                  Re: MacWrite, MacPaint, MacDraw bugs
                    Setting up icons for applications
                        Re: Apple Numerics Manual
                        Re: Apple Numerics Manual
                  Word processing on the mac?  (Coding)
                                File Bits
                         Intermail Demo please?
                        Some diskPerf results...
        SmarTEAM - Hayes compatible modem suitable for Europeans
                            Mazewars, me too
                 A sort for the Mac (re: MacWrite-Index)
                microsoft solicits user input on fortran
         NN&Q: What I miss after moving from mainframe to a Mac
                        MacTerminal Modifications
              Versions of System/Finder that are buggy....
                         Mac/XL System Versions
                       Re: Is apple falling apart?
                    Agricultural Software out There?

From: stew%lhasa.UUCP@harvard.HARVARD.EDU
Date: 	23 Oct 86 22:05 EDT
Subject: Re: FindWindow

I dunno what ROM you are looking at.  Maybe you are confused over the
order of the arguments?  The 128K ROM starts out by popping the address
of the WindowPtr and clearing it, then popping the point into D3,
then clearing the return value.

To repeat, thePt is NOT a VAR parameter for FindWindow.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 86 21:27:34 mdt
From: dlc%a@LANL.ARPA (Dale Carstensen)

You're right.  I thought I had looked at FindWindow in the Aztec C manual
and seen "*Point thePt" but that's not what's there tonight.  So I looked
further and found the offender is MenuSelect, not FindWindow.  See if you
can challenge that one!  Thanks for making me look closer.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 86 21:34:38 mdt
From: dlc%a@LANL.ARPA (Dale Carstensen)
Subject: Re: Re: Prob: interpreting Pascal to C - HELP!

stew%lhasa.UUCP@harvard.HARVARD.EDU kept insisting that FindWindow doesn't
have VAR thePt:Point as an argument, so I looked at my notes closer, and he
is absolutely correct.  The routine that has VAR thePt:Point where Inside
Macintosh states only thePt:Point is MenuSelect.  It's still something every
Mac programmer discovers the hard way without having a good example or
skeleton to start from.  Evidently Lisa Pascal and some other development
environments correct IM's error in their "glue."

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 86  20:52:11 ADT
From: PAUL%Acadia.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Paul Steele - Acadia
Subject: MacDraw bugs

I've recently have been making extensive use of MacDraw/Word (through
Switcher) and have had two annoying bugs crop up. First of all, in one
document I was creating I needed Greek letters, so I added one of my Greek
fonts to my system file and reloaded MacDraw/Word. There was nothing wrong
when I used the Greek font in Word, but when I switched to MacDraw and tried
to use Greek to label a drawing, the Greek font did not show up on the list
of fonts. Later I noticed the same thing using my other Mac at work--in this
case, I needed Geneva under MacDraw, but it wasn't there, although it was
there in Word. What's going on?

The second problem I have run into is even more strange. Although the
actual situation when I first noticed the bug is more involved, I created
a minimal case where the bug surfaces. When I am in MacDraw (no switcher
or anything else funny running), I draw a line and add an arrow head to one
end. It might look like this:
                                :
                                :
                                :
                                :

Then I select this line and do a Copy (cmd-C), load the alarm clock
desk accessory, unload it, and finally to a Paste (cmd-V). What I should
get is a duplicate of my arrow; what I get instead is a shifted arrow,
looking something like this:
                                :
                                :
                                 :
                                 :
The line is shifted at the mid-point by one pixel. It seems that the problem
only occurs when the line has an arrow head. What's more, each time I
do a load/unload clock/paste, the shifting gets worse:
                                :
                                 :
                                 :
                                  :

This is causing big problems because I am drawing large directed graphs with
lots of arrows, and I am frequently moving the pictures back and forth between
WOrd and MacDraw when I notice a mistake in a graph. Each time the arrows in
my graphs are shifted when I paste back into MacDraw from Word and I have to
straighten all the arrows. Anyone have a clue what's going on?

------------------------------

Date: 21 Oct 86 21:58:00 EDT
From: <bouldin@ceee-sed.ARPA>
Subject: Macwrite on the 68020

Does anyone know if there is a version of Macwrite that works with 68020
equipped Macs. Most non-game software works on 020 equipped machines; Macwrite
is a notable exception. I seem to recall some talk about an 020 compatible
version, perhaps from Levco?? Help appreciated.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 20 Oct 86 17:45:17 pdt
From: Larry Rosenstein <lsr%apple.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: Re: postscript and Clipboard problems

>Date: Mon,  6 Oct 86 09:34:38 edt
>>From: mp1w@andrew.cmu.edu (Marc Russell Pawliger)
>Subject: PostScript
>

>Whenever I do a PostScript file dump (command-f after clicking OK in the
>print dialog), the resulting PostScript commands are in some sort of
>shorthand, obviously so that the LaserPrep file doesn't have to
> contain more than it needs to.  Does anyone know if this
>compressed format is documented?

The LaserWriter Reference Manual describes a version of the LaserPrep file
(I am not sure exactly which version).  This is available through APDA.

Larry

>Date: Mon, 6 Oct 86 10:20:06 EDT
>>From: bills@CCA.CCA.COM (Bill Stackhouse)
>Subject: Scrap problems
>
>Using Finder 5.3/System 3.2 on a Mac Plus, System folder in a 400K
>MFS RamDisk and applications in the root directory of a 800K HFS disk,
>(I have tried other configurations without luck) I get the following
>messages.
>
>>From MacPaint 1.5: "MacPaint is having trouble reading the scrap".
>
>>From MacDraw 1.9: "MacDraw cannot now paste the clipboard outside MacDraw.
>Try removing some documents from the disk".

The Scrap Manager changed in the 128K ROM to place the Scrap File on the
boot volume.  Both MacPaint and MacDraw access the scrap file directly (w/o
using the Scrap Manager), and both look for it on the same volume as the
application (which is where the old Scrap Manager placed the file).

You can solve the problem by placing the application on the same disk as the
System file and Finder.

Larry

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 86 10:37:52 PDT
From: <DAVEG@slacvm.bitnet>
Subject: Re: MacWrite, MacPaint, MacDraw bugs

   Numerous bug reports for the Apple programs Write, Paint, Draw have been
circulating for quite a while. MacWrite is one of the few programs which
won't run on the Levco Mac. It regularly trashes documents (more than any
other program I've heard about), scrolls slower than molasses and generally
has a reputation these days as being a real dog.
  MacPaint is still a fine program (although outperformed by FullPaint) but
has the clipboard problem which has been reported many times and work arounds
have been posted ( I wonder what those who don't have access to bboards do
to solve these problems).
  MacDraw has the well publicized font problems (see above) with patches posted
regularly on how to get around it (even in this months MacUser or MacWorld).
If I was a novice user there is no way I would have FEDIT or feel comfortable
changing a program after reading something in MacWorld.
   I think the above problems which have not been addressed by Apple
(read that FIXED AND DISTRIBUTED TO THE PUBLIC) together are one very serious
problem. I sympathize with the new user who buys MacPaint and an external
floppy disk, configures his software in an intelligent way (i.e. one system
disk with many application disks), and then can't cut and paste to MacPaint.
I don't consider this user friendly and I'm sure it seems mysterious to the
uninitiated.
   All of the above problems are very serious and should be addressed
as soon as possible. I personally feel I have championed the Macintosh
and have tried very hard to convince people that it is powerful and
easy to use. I was embarrassed by the problems with the system software in
the recent past. Novice users were intimidated at all the bugs they
were hearing about in the users group meetings. It seems to me that Apple
certainly has the resources to get new versions of the software out there
which corrects these obvious bugs. Lets see it as soon as possible.

David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538
usual disclaimer #432 applies: my employer apologies for the fact
that I have access to this net.

------------------------------

Date: 22 Oct 86 13:33 EST
From: HALLETT JEFFREY A            <HALLETT@ge-crd.arpa>
Subject: Setting up icons for applications

Hello all.

    I am relatively new to this, so if I blunder, please be patient.

    I have been trying to set up icons for a bunch of public domain
programs that are using the generic Finder one.  I have created the
ICN#, FREF, and BNDL's ok and now the next step is to use FEdit or
ResEdit to alter the signatures and Bundle bit in the Finder File
Attributes list.  I set the signatures all right, and I set the
Bundle bit also, but when I quit editing on some applications and
look at the icon from the Finder, it is still using the generic
icon.
   Frustrated, I rebuild the desktop.  Nix.  It is still generic.
   Cursing under my breath, I go back into FEdit or ResEdit and look
at the Finder File attributes again. Lo and behold, the signature is
set the way I set it, but the Bundle bit is no longer set.  So I set
it again and close the file.  Then I open it again and it looks all
set so I quit.
   Guess what?  It still does not show the icon, and when I open it up
again, the Bundle bit is off again!

   Now, this only happens on some applications; on others, it works
fine.  In particular XLISP is giving me problems.  What causes this
and what can I do to recognize/fix where the problem is?

  Thanx much.
  Jeff Hallett

[ note from moderator:  One item which you seem to be missing is a resource
whose name is the same as the CREATOR signature for the application. For
example MacWrite has a creator of MACA (or similar) and there is also
a resource called MACA  (case is important!!!). I think it is enough to
just create the resource without anything in it. DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: 23 Oct 86 10:28:21 EDT (Thursday)
From: Paton.WBST@Xerox.COM
Subject: Re: Apple Numerics Manual

     I have seen the Apple Numerics Manual at Waldenbooks.  I believe it
is published by Addison-Wesley.

AP

------------------------------

Date: 23 Oct 86  1529 PDT
From: Tovar <TVR%CCRMA@SU-AI.ARPA>

If your local technical bookstore doesn't know about it, you might try
contacting APDA (Apple Programmer and Developers Assoc.), as they are
acting as Apple's distributor for technical manuals.  Otherwise, you
might find someone with the venerable phonebox version of Inside Mac.
It really isn't very interesting unless you have something obscure to
deal with.  If your programming language has good documentation (as
LightspeedC seems to), that may be sufficient for most purposes.

							  -- Tovar

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 22 Oct 86  10:15:11 EDT
From: salamir%UMass.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Ron Lussier -- SalNet
Subject: Word processing on the mac?  (Coding)

I have not seen this anywhere...perhaps someone can help me.
How is macwrite-like word processing handled on the mac?  Are there
any examples of source to do this?  Is it documented in a book
or mag anywhere?

Sal

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 86 11:54:40 edt
From: mp1w@andrew.cmu.edu (Marc Russell Pawliger)
Subject: File Bits

What's the deal on setting file bits (particularly File Protect) under HFS?
I have ResEdit 1.0D12 and in the Get Info window on a file there are
the usual system, bundle etc bits and then three separate ones to set
for File Protect, File Lock and something else.  On an HFS volume,
I tried to set the File Protect bit, but it wouldn't let me.  Since the bozo
bit doesn't work anymore, how can one finder copy protect files?
    Marc 			mp1w@andrew.cmu.edu

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 86 16:13:38 MDT
From: t-jacobs%utah-ced@utah-cs.arpa (Tony Jacobs)
Subject: Intermail Demo please?

In the Nov. MacWorld on page 169 is an ad for Intermail from Internet.  I
talked to them on the phone and it sounds like the best mail program for the
Mac. They said they are posting a demo version on CompuServe or GEnie this
weekend.  Could someone with access to either one of these please post this
demo version ASAP.

They have made all kinds of provisions in this program to interface intermail
with other e-mail systems.  The guy I talked to told me of all kinds of
features and configurability that makes this super flexable.  All the things
I wish TopMail and InBox had but don't.  Custom message formats, graphic mail,
delayed mail (reminders).  It really sounds like they thought of everything.
Printing or saving/appending to files, RSVP, groups(to send to).  It runs on
a Mac as a driver that is installed using the Init mechanism.  It's a small
DA (~12k) unlike the rest and they claim much faster.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 11 Oct 86 16:39:42 CDT
From: Scott Comer <wert@rice.edu>
Subject: Some diskPerf results...

Using the program diskPerf, I got the following results on a Mac 512K:

400K floppy:

Doing 175 1K byte blocks:

write:	 9.485 KBytes/second
 read:	15.556 KBytes/second
 copy:	 3.452 KBytes/second

Warp20 SCSI Hard Disk:

Doing 256 1K byte blocks:

write:	17.615 KBytes/second
 read:	22.756 KBytes/second
 copy:	 9.849 KBytes/second

Apple HD20 Hard Disk (not SCSI):

Doing 256 1K byte blocks:

write:	14.713 KBytes/second
 read:	16.375 KBytes/second
 copy:	 7.580 KBytes/second

Just for comparison, I ran the diskPerf code on a Sun Microsystems machine
running unix. This machine has a large disk cache, but tests indicate that
it doesn't significantly speed up this application.

Sun 3/160, Sun UNIX 4.2 Release 3.0, NFS, light loading:

Doing 256 1K byte blocks:

write:	20.881 KBytes/second
 read:	79.503 KBytes/second
 copy:	45.552 KBytes/second

Sun 3/160, Sun UNIX 4.2 Release 3.0, Eagle disk, light loading:

Doing 256 1K byte blocks:

write:	284.442 KBytes/second
 read:	984.615 KBytes/second
 copy:	328.202 KBytes/second

Note that the number of blocks being transfered has been noted to have a
dramatic effect on copy time. See the diskPerf.readme file supplied with
diskPerf for more information.

scott out

Disclaimer: I have no connections with any manufacturer of computer
equipment other than as a customer. These benchmarks are supplied as
performance examples only. Your performance may vary.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 86 01:25 N
From: <INFOEARN%HLERUL5.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: SmarTEAM - Hayes compatible modem suitable for Europeans

Well, the order of SmarTEAM modems I mentioned a couple of weeks ago has
finally come in!  Mine works great.  There were absolutely _no_ problems with
Hayes compatibility or anything else!  Here's the info I promised the net:

The SmarTEAM 1200 CT modem from TEAM Technology has the following features:

- 300 and 1200 bps CCITT, the standards in Europe (the V21 and V22 standards)
- autodial (Tone and Pulse)
- autoanswer
- 99.9% Hayes compatible (haven't found the 0.01% incompatibility yet)
- a superset of the Hayes AT commands
- RS-232 connector for computer, PHONE and LINE connectors for hooking up to
  phone line and phone (with modular plugs)
- built-in speaker with volume control dial
- 8 LEDs for the usual stuff (Carrier Detect, Xmit, Rcve, etc)
- comes with a cable and manual with details of modem operation and all the AT
  commands

Price?  Well, I got it very cheap, but you should expect to pay approximately
FL 600 to 700 (that's Dutch guilders, you'll have to figure out what that is
in your own currency yourself :-)  Maybe less if you can get a group of at
least ten to buy collectively.  SmarTEAM also makes an American version of
this modem and a modem supporting speeds up to 2400 bps (V22bis).

I have a few addresses to get further information:

The dealer I got the SmarTEAM in Holland
  Soft PC
  World Trade Centre
  Amsterdam
  Telephone: 020-5753248

Sales and Service U.S.A.
  SmarTEAM Inc.
  19205 Parthenia St.
  Suite #J
  Northridge CA 91324
  Telephone: (818) 886-9726
  FAX:       (818) 886-6731

TEAM's Head Office:
  TEAM Technology Inc.
  2nd Fl., No.2, 2 Alley, Su Wei Lane
  Chung Cheng Rd., Hsin Tien City
  Taipei, Taiwan, R.O.C.
  Telephone: (02) 9189249, 9189250
             (02) 7252836 (Business Dep.)
  FAX:       (02) 7251830
  Telex:     19725 PETRCHEN

P.S.  Many, many disclaimers apply...

------------------------------

Date: Thu 23 Oct 86 10:44:25-PDT
From: Emilio Calius <CALIUS@STAR.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Mazewars, me too

 We too just hooked up our first 2 Mac+s by AppleTalk, but couldn't quite
get Mazewars to work. However we did get it to run properly on each machine.
They just didn't seem to communicate with each other (at least, we couldn't
find each other in the maze).
 I presume that you have the Eyeballs, Screen and Title files.
 The modification you need to run on a machine with the new ROMs is to
go into the "Mw" application and change the location of the primary screen by
searching for every instance of Hex string 07A700 and changing it to 3FA700. I
used Fedit+.
 If you get Mazewars to work over the network, PLEASE let me know. We're
wondering if we somehow screwed up installing the AppleTalk hardware and/or
drivers. Can you suggest another way to check them?
	Thank you
Emilio P. Calius
Aeronautics/Astronautics
Stanford University

[ note from moderator:  If you have the new Roms you don't need to install
the appletalk drivers since they are already in ROM. Further, if you are using
system 3.2, you don't need to install them since they are also there!! I
have also been unable to get MazeWars to work even though I have made the
patches to the screen but the systems hangs before I even have a chance
to find out about communications.  Still waiting for help since I don't really
want to spend $35 for MazeWars from MacroMind.  DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: 23 Oct 86  1535 PDT
From: Tovar <TVR%CCRMA@SU-AI.ARPA>
Subject: A sort for the Mac (re: MacWrite-Index)

I have a simple-minded sorting program for Mac which you can use with the
MacWrite-Index program (and eliminate the need for upload/download to Vax),
but needs more testing before posting.  It can also make a KWIC index by
itself, but makes no attempt to eliminate common words nor to handle tabs
properly.  If you want to try it, MAIL TVR@SU-AI and i'll try to get a copy
to you.  (It is not `Shareware' or equiv.)
								-- Tovar

------------------------------

Date: 21 Oct 86 23:20:00 EDT
From: <bouldin@ceee-sed.ARPA>
Subject: microsoft solicits user input on fortran

To all:

   I received this post on Compuserve, apparently since an earlier
posting I made here was brought to Mr. Lobdell's attention. I believe
that I said that while Microsoft does not listen, at least Absoft does.
Mr. Lobdell says that's wrong and he wants to hear from you. If you
are happy with the way microsoft handled the fortran upgrade for hfs,
please tell him so. If not, tell him why not.

   My feeling is that the fortran users on this net are sophisticated
users and have a lot of input for the 2.3 version of fortran on the
Mac. You can send them to me ( I _promise_ to forward) or you can go
straight to the top this way. Either way, I would still like to hear
your suggestions.

Anyone who can cross-post to usenet, delphi, genie,mousehole,
etc, please do so.

 1: Date:  21-Oct-86 15:07 EDT
 2: From:  Greg Lobdell [76703,4235]
 3: Subj:  Msg from Greg Lobdell
 4:
 5:       Mac Languages Program Manager
 6:       Microsoft Corporation
 7:       16011 NE 36th Way
 8:       Box 97017
 9:       Redmond, WA  98073-9717
10:
11: RE: Microsoft (Absoft) FORTRAN Wish Lists
12:
13: I read with your interest your solicitation for enhancement requests
14: for the next release of Microsoft (Absoft) FORTRAN.
15:
16: In your original message you indicated that you felt Microsoft was not
17: sensitive to the customer's needs.  This is simply not true.  Take a look
18: at Microsoft BASIC for the Mac, this is one of the nicest BASICs available
19: on any Micro... primarily due to the fact that we listened to what our
20: customers asked for and implemented it!
21:
22: As for FORTRAN, I too am very interested in seeing any "wish lists" you
23: compile.
24:
25: We are currently planning the next generation of Langauges for the Mac.  I
26: recognize the fact that customer comments are the most valuable feedback
27: I can get in planning future products.... afterall, it is YOU, the customer
28: who purchases a Microsoft product relying on the fact that Microsoft will
29: enhance the product for many years to come.
30:
31: Please forward copies of your wish lists to my attention, at the address
32: listed above.  I will see that the suggestions are carefully
33: evaluated and implemented if possible.
34:
35: Sincerely,
36:
37: Greg Lobdell

------------------------------

Date: Tue 21 Oct 86 21:06:22-CDT
From: LRC.HJJH@R20.UTEXAS.EDU
Subject: NN&Q: What I miss after moving from mainframe to a Mac

So much of the stuff on this bboard is high-level that a reader like
myself who's a tyro and without formal computer science background can
be too awed to offer his/her 2-cents' worth or expose his/her ignorance
by posting questions.  But finally getting bold, I am joining in as a
sacrificial lamb.  If I don't get my head chopped off for audacity,
subsequent messages will have the following heading and "NN&Q" in their
titles as a caveat.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ NOVICE NOTES & QUERIES ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I love my Mac, but sometimes I miss being able to readily do certain
things which were easy on a DEC-20.  Like, finding which text files
contain a certain string of characters.

I am using MacWRITE in a preparing a bilingual dictionary, with each
letter of the source-language in a different file.  I sometimes want to
check on other words with the same or similar English translations.
At present I CUT the word (for instance "mouth") and go into each file,
PASTE it into FIND, and see what turns up.

Is there an easier way for a \novice/?

From what I read-- not being quite clear about what it does do-- it
sounds like Switcher might simplify moving between files.  But does
software exist which would let me do like on the main-frame... just
specify the string I want and the files to search, and the computer
does the rest?

[ note from moderator:  There are several GREP desk accessories which
will allow you to search a number of files for a given string. I see
that none have made it to the info-mac archives so I will post them
shortly.  DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 86 12:03:22 PDT
From: Lionel_Tolan%SFU.Mailnet@MIT-MULTICS.ARPA
Subject: MacTerminal Modifications

Has anybody figured out how to modify MacTerminal such that it
will append a carriage return to the cursor commands if the mouse
is double clicked while positioning the cursor.

We have a reasonably nice menu oriented mail system on our
mainframe (MTS) but I always have to remove my hand from the
mouse and hit the return after I've positioned the mouse. This
would remove a minor but irritating inconvenience.

If nobody's figured it out yet maybe somebody could think of it
on one of those long, cold, boring, winter weekends coming up.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 86 09:43:04 +0200
From: Tamir WEiner  <UMFORTH%WEIZMANN.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Versions of System/Finder that are buggy....

Does anyone know the up-to-date word on the net as to what is the most
reccomended HFS and MFS versions to be using.

As I understand it for MFS, Finder 4.1 and System 2.0 are the latest versions
and also the most bug free.  I had been, until recently using these with
minimum problems and only occassional crashes, Scrapbook bugs, etc.  but
nothing I couldn't live with (and I use RamDisks extensively (in place of
the Switcher which I gave up on for 512K configurations) & also
a crowded system file.

For HFS, Finder 5.3 and System 3.2 are declared to be the latest as far
as I know.  They have cured my Scrapbook woes, but have caused more than
an occassional crash.... though that may be because of incompatibility with
my RamDisk software.   The interesting thing is that they seem quite a bit
slower on boot-up on an old 512K with the old ROMS.   (I'm waiting for
an update kit to arrive at our dealer).   A guy at the dealer said that
I shouldn't be using system 3.2 because it's "got problems", although
he wouldn't say what.  I've heard that 3.0 is also quite buggy (and of
course I have a copy of that), but this same MacIntosh tech-type said that
he uses only 3.1 and that's the only version of System to use.  Is he
correct???  This guy did work for an authorized Apple Dealership so he's
supposed to know something....

Also can you use the latest Finder 5.3 with versions of the System earlier
than 3.2???

Thanks for any help the network can provide.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 23 Oct 86 08:32:06-PDT
From: David L. Edwards <DLE@SRI-STRIPE.ARPA>
Subject: Mac/XL System Versions

I use system 3.2 and finder 5.3 on my Mac/XL without any problems.
Note that if you are running the old XL/Serve, Infosphere recommends
using system 2.0/finder 4.1 or upgrade to Mac/Serve.

-dle

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 23 Oct 86 00:57 N
From: <INFOEARN%HLERUL5.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Re: Is apple falling apart?

DMB@PSUVMA.BITNET said in the Usenet Mac digest #86:
>      Apple is advertising in MacTutor for Hired Help?

Apple has found an interesting new way to promote themselves, that's all.
Apple Holland advertised for Hired Help some time ago too in Computable, a
'newspaper-like' computer weekly here.  Later I heard that _nobody_ who had
reacted to the ad had actually been hired, but that vacancies were filled
with other Apple staff.  I do remember that almost everybody I spoke had seen
the ad and that a lot of people were talking about it, so the ad definately
had some kind of promotional effect.

Looks like it's corporate policy if it's also happening in the States.

-- Thomas

   FRUIN@HLERUL5.BITNET or
   INFOEARN@HLERUL5.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 21 Oct 86 15:10 PDT
From: Todd Booth 213-825-1933 <CSDCTGB@UCLA-CCN.ARPA>
Subject: Agricultural Software out There?

Hi!  We heard that there is some software which will allow
tractors to run unattended.  Does anyone know where to buy
this software?

-todd

End of INFO-MAC Digest