     From the Bureau of Interesting Facts (2 messages)
     LightspeedC globals (2 messages)
     Lightspeed C Menu Defintion Routine (2 messages)
     RE: Some questions (Re: Msg 14029)
     Laser spoolers? (10 messages)
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #86 (Re: Msg 14054)
     RE: TeX (Re: Msg 14163)
     A question
     DS copier beta - problem
     Another BBS...
     font limitations (6 messages)
     new resedit (2 messages)

From: MACMAG (14013)
Subject: A+ Magazine
Date: 20-OCT 01:53 Business Mac

I hear a rumor that A+ the Apple/Macintosh magazine will completely drop it's
macintosh coverage.

Anyone has any other info to confirm/deny this?

Thanks

Rich.

------------------------------

From: CHUQ (878)
Subject: LightSpeed C/Loadseg hangs!
Date:  19-OCT 18:50 Programming Techniques

Hi, folks.  I've got a problem I need a group mind on -- I'm
mystified.  I have an application I've been playing with in my copious
free time.  It is about 30,000 lines of Unix C code, which I've
brought down to the Mac and hacked into LSC using the stdio (glass
tty) package.  I did all of the previous work using the OLD ROM's and
RAM based HFS, and the thing worked (mostly).  Since then, I've
upgraded to the new ROM, otherwise all the software stays the same.
Now the application doesn't work -- according to TMON it works just
fine until it attempts to call a non-resident routine out of the
main() function.  It proceeds to drop into LoadSeg and hangs --
according to TMON, in Eject!

How, might I ask, did LoadSeg get into Eject?  On a hard disk?  Has
anyone else seen this, or know of a workaround?  I'm hoping that I see
the new LSC Real Soon Now, but this means I can't do any further work
until I either clear this up or get the update (I'm assuming the
update clears it up...)

Any suggestions?  Is this a strange ROM incompatibility, or what?

chuq

------------------------------

From: HSTARR (879)
Subject: RE: LightSpeed C/Loadseg hangs! (Re: Msg 878)
Date:  19-OCT 19:39 Programming Techniques

Could you be a little more specific about how you invoke your non-resident
routine, and how you have specified your segments??

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD (885)
Date:  19-OCT 21:55 Programming Techniques

Chuq,

did you try, (pulling this from that fabulous book of Knaster's) setting the
low-memory $12D ("LoadTrap") to a non-zero value?

I haven't had to hack LoadSeg, but I've gotten the impression that it is really
pretty simple.  LoadTrap will cause LoadSeg to trap just before it does the
branch into your segment's entry.  At the very least, you'll find out if the
trap finishes all it wants to do.

Hope this Helps,,

Laird

------------------------------

From: DWB (886)
Subject: RE: LightSpeed C/Loadseg hangs! (Re: Msg 885)
Date:  19-OCT 22:22 Programming Techniques

I think that the last time I tried to use LoadTrap (first time after I got the
new ROM's) that it didn't work.  May be faulty memory, but I'm afraid apple
disabled this on

David

------------------------------

From: PEABO (887)
Date:  20-OCT 00:12 Programming Techniques

Lightspeed patches the LoadSeg call so it can apply fixups to the code
(which is not entirely position independent).  However, I've been
using LSC on a Mac Plus ever since I got it, with no problems.

peter

------------------------------

From: PEABO (890)
Subject: RE: LightSpeed C/Loadseg hangs! (Re: Msg 886)
Date:  20-OCT 00:16 Programming Techniques

LoadTrap certainly does work!

peter

------------------------------

From: DWB (908)
Subject: RE: LightSpeed C/Loadseg hangs! (Re: Msg 890)
Date:  21-OCT 23:19 Programming Techniques

Went back and tried it again.  What made me think it wasn't working is
the fact that the trap now occurs on every LoadSeg whereas it used to
only get done on Launch.  Either that or the finder is now doing
periodic LoadSeg traps.  Setting LoadTrap results in an apparently
endless series of Debugger traps from the Finder.

David

------------------------------

From: DWB (909)
Subject: RE: LightSpeed C/Loadseg hangs! (Re: Msg 908)
Date:  21-OCT 23:21 Programming Techniques

What all that really means is that LoadTrap isn't useful for trapping
applications just before they begin execution anymore.  It's basically useful
only once an application gets started.

David

------------------------------

From: PEABO (912)
Subject: RE: LightSpeed C/Loadseg hangs! (Re: Msg 909)
Date:  22-OCT 00:53 Programming Techniques

I was using it from inside the LightspeedC shell, which accounts for why I
didn't have any trouble, I guess.

peter

------------------------------

From: CHUQ (881)
Subject: RE: database structure (Re: Msg 431)
Date:  19-OCT 20:21 SIG Business

Well, the thing is huge, so there are a lot of segments.  The calling
sequent is pretty simple:

main() {
    [do some stuff]
    init_obj();
    [do some more stuff] }

with main() in a segment and init_obj() in a different segment.  I
don't see any problem with this at all, I"m not doing anything fancy
or unusual.  The <stdio> glass tty comes up just fine (its in a
different segment) and I get keyboard I/O just fine.  There are
probably over 20 segments in total, but I'd have to count to see.

chuq

------------------------------

From: HSTARR (892)
Subject: RE: database structure (Re: Msg 881)
Date:  20-OCT 01:07 SIG Business

Check to see if you are playing with Resource files (UseResource, OpenResFile)
in the stuff prior to the init_obj() call. LsC requires access to its CREL
resources at each segment load. Also ensure you aren't leaving any foreign
material on the stack -- this can cause often misunderstood flow problems
several miles from the offending site!
If all esle fails, try rebooting (in case the App heap is screwed), replacing
the compiler and libraries, and/or forcing a reload of everything into the
project (use Make, check all).
Good luck -- sorry I can't be of more positive help -- Harry

------------------------------

From: RMUHA (894)
Subject: bug in textedit?
Date:  20-OCT 01:29 Inside Mac

I've recently encountered what may be a bug in the TextBox() function.
According to IM, the drawing rectangle "must be at least as wide as
the first character drawn."  I tried to draw two characters (in 9pt
monaco) in a rectangle 12 pixels wide.  It drew the first char and
then hung. The machine was dead to the world.  Reboot. No disk damage.
After I figured out what it was, I switched to (MoveTo, DrawText)
which works just fine. This was on a 512K enhanced.

ralph

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (895)
Subject: RE: bug in textedit? (Re: Msg 894)
Date:  20-OCT 04:41 Inside Mac

A tech note refers to a bug with drawing in narrow grafPorts.  TextEdit is
similar, if not the same.  If you're too small, it tries to go to the next
line...but that line is too small, so it goes to the next line.

------------------------------

From: SBOAG (896)
Subject: RE: Point in Oval (Re: Msg 874)
Date:  20-OCT 10:27 Programming Techniques

Peter,
    I did both the point in elipse and the point in line without
floating point.  I forget how to insert a code segment into this
editor so the formating comes out, but if you 'll tell me I'll let you
see them (they're both real short).  Arg!!!  I spent about 30 hours
this weekend trying to get the bugs out of a custom menu definition I
wrote.  Everything looks great except the PC gets lost on its way back
from the SizeMenu ROM call, and when you release the mouse on a menu
 item.  Seems like I've tried everything.  Does anyone know of any bugs in
LightSpeed C that might be screwing me up?
    ---Scott Boag

------------------------------

From: YVES (14044)
Subject: RE: Telescape Pro Vt100 (Re: Msg 13997)
Date: 21-OCT 01:14 Telecommunicating

Well, the very basic differences are: 1) it only emulates VT100 2) it
emulates 100% of the VT100 3) it can keep up to 19200 baud with no
handshaking. The only reason why you would want to switch to TSpro is
to replace a real VT100 directly connected to a HOST by a Mac. Of
course TSpro can be used for modem connections (I'm using right now)
but why bother if you're happy with Telescape. Also, there is now 40
softkeys per entry. -- YVES

------------------------------

From: PEABO (898)
Subject: From the Bureau of Interesting Facts
Date:  20-OCT 22:01 Programming Techniques

While uploading Software Supplement files tonight, I spent some time reading
source code to MacApp.

Curiously, even when you set the tab width to 1, the code does not fit in the
widest window I can create on my normal-sized-screen Mac.

peter

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD (901)
Subject: RE: From the Bureau of Interesting Facts (Re: Msg 898)
Date:  21-OCT 05:13 Programming Techniques

Sounds like someone there likes The Lisa too?

(or else they _all_ have some displays that we don't know about)

actually, *most* of the include files and sample sources that come out
of the Cupertino HQ are pretty wacked-up when it comes to tabs,
display-length, and the like.  I'd suspect that they develop either in
one font or on a special screen, and then ship in a non-proportional
font that won't fit on a Mac screen.

Of course, the Include files could get processed by the Entab command of MPW,
which will wack them up, guaranteed...

Laird

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (900)
Subject: LightspeedC globals
Date:  21-OCT 03:04 Tools for Developers

I'm trying out LightspeedC, and I'm trying to convert a program.  How are you
supposed to use globals?  In Aztec C, I have an #include file that has
Handle foo;
and each module includes it.  This works great in Aztec C, and means that the
header file is simple.  In LightspeedC, the linker thinks there are two foos.

------------------------------

From: PEABO (905)
Subject: RE: LightspeedC globals (Re: Msg 900)
Date:  21-OCT 22:33 Tools for Developers

Define a symbol which defaults to the word 'extern' but which can be
overridden to the null string before including your header file.  This
gets included with the override in exactly one module.  Invoke the
symbol in front of every global in the header file and they will all
be externals in every module except the one that defines them.

peter

------------------------------

From: SBOAG (904)
Subject: Lightspeed C Menu Defintion Routine
Date:  21-OCT 21:32 Programming Techniques

Help!!!!  I have written a custom menu definition routine.  I seem to be having
trouble with installing the procedure handle into the menu record.
 Darry Lovato in his August MacTutor artical says to install it by
  MyRegMenu := GetMenu(500);
  MyRegMenu^^.menuProc := NewHandle(0);
  MyRegMenu^^.menuProc^ := Ptr(@MyMenuDef);
 in pascal, but my translation into lightspeed C don't seem
 to work.  Anyone have any idea what's going on???  This gets a
 heap error for that menu resource right after the procedure
 instalation.  It then crashes after my procedure has been called, landing
 on address 0 after a couple of lines in the ROM.  If I call by the
 DoSizeMessage directly it seems to work fine, and so does the rest of my
 code, until I release the mouse on the menu, then BOOM!
  Here's my LightSpeed C version and the called procedure:

    myMenus[Fillmenu] = GetMenu(FillmenuID);
    ((**myMenus[Fillmenu]).menuProc) = NewHandle(0);
    *((**myMenus[Fillmenu]).menuProc) = (Ptr)MyMenuDef;
    InsertMenu(myMenus[Fillmenu],0);
    CalcMenuSize(myMenus[Fillmenu]);

 pascal MyMenuDef(message, theMenu, menuRect, hitPt, whichItem )
 int                    message;
 MenuHandle     theMenu;
 Rect           *menuRect;
 Point          hitPt;
 int                    *whichItem;

 {
    switch (message) {
        case mSizeMsg:
                DoSizeMessage(theMenu);
                break;
        case mDrawMsg:
                DoDrawMessage(theMenu,menuRect);
                break;
        case mChooseMsg:
                *whichItem = DoChooseMessage(theMenu, menuRect, hitPt, *whichIte
m);
    }
 }

    Thanks, I would really appreciate anyone's input...
         Scott Boag

------------------------------

From: PEABO (907)
Subject: RE: Lightspeed C Menu Defintion Routine (Re: Msg 904)
Date:  21-OCT 22:37 Programming Techniques

Putting a pointer to a procedure into a master pointer is bad news.  Instead,
make a 6-byte handle with an absolute jump to your procedure entry point
assembled in.  I'd expect that to work much better.

peter

------------------------------

From: DWB (14061)
Subject: RE: Some questions (Re: Msg 14029)
Date: 21-OCT 22:49 Mousing Around

Be very wary of the DataFrame backup software (Also known as HD Backup) When a
restore is done the file modification and creation dates get set to the current
time.  I have also had updates get lost, ie. old versions of the file were
restored, when multiple versions of a file were on the backup set by way of
incremental backups.

I'm going back to HFS Backup.

Dave99, by the way, I finally got rid of my problems with HFS Backup by not
using it with TMon and EUA #665.  Works fine now.

David

------------------------------

From: TSTEIN (14077)
Subject: Laser spoolers?
Date: 22-OCT 20:30 Hardware & Peripherals

I've been reading off and on in Macintouch about laser spoolers you
have seen or used. What is the latest status off these. I have an
urgent need to know, as someone at a computer dealer is pressing a
friend of mine to buy a HyperDrive because of GCC's laser spooler. I
am leery of the Hypers because of all I've heard. My friend is worried
about loosing the use of his Mac while he laser prints. Are there, now
available, good laser spoolers? What do you think of GCC and the
Hyperdrive these days?
  If you answer this, please do so here, or leave mail to TSTEIN. Or call me
Thursday a.m. at 617 263 0865. Thanks.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (14078)
Subject: RE: Laser spoolers? (Re: Msg 14077)
Date: 22-OCT 21:32 Hardware & Peripherals

A friend of mine is writing a LaserWriter spooler.  He didn't have
many good things to say about the ones on the market, because they
work at the wrong level and thus don't spool everything (as reported
in MacInTouch).  The way to do it right is at a lower level; his works
with PageMaker.  It'll be marketed by Micah.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14081)
Subject: RE: Laser spoolers? (Re: Msg 14078)
Date: 22-OCT 23:29 Hardware & Peripherals

What do you mean "as reported in MacInTouch"?!  We said it doesn't work with
PageMaker and JustText.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14083)
Subject: RE: Laser spoolers? (Re: Msg 14081)
Date: 22-OCT 23:35 Hardware & Peripherals

We have an extensive review of the MacAmerica laser spooler in the
November issue of MacInTouch (now being printed).  It has a number of
problems, includingnot printing when you jump between a number of
different applications, and not spooling JustText, PageMaker, and
other programs' output.  However, if you have a number of users
sharing one LaserWriter or if you are printing large jobs from Word or
a similar program, the spooler can be very nice. The GCC version
appears to be identical to the MacAmerica one.  I wouldn't buy an
internal HyperDrive myself, just to get the spooler.  Note that the
external FX/20 HyperDrive also comes with a spooler, and is likely to
be quite a bit more reliable than the internal disk.  I like it,
although it's a little big.

As David mentions, there are other spoolers coming along.  Infosphere is working
on one that may do more than the MacAmerica/GCC version.  I would expect quite a
lot of them at the January MacWorld expo.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14094)
Subject: RE: Laser spoolers? (Re: Msg 14085)
Date: 23-OCT 09:21 Hardware & Peripherals

Actually, I find the FX/20 quite similar to the DataFrame.
Performance of the FX/20, DataFrame 20, and MacBottom SCSI seems to be
essentially identical.  They are also almost identically quiet in our
experience.  The main differences are in size, software, and SCSI
implementation.  The FX/20 trades large size for extensive software
and excellent SCSI implementation. The MacBottom isn't so swift on
SCSI and multiple-drive configurations, but is tiny and easy to carry.
It has the good PCPC software, but no laser spooling.  The Dataframe
is nicely compact, but hasn't a SCSI implementatino as good as the
FX/20's.  Instead, it has outstanding service and a 1 year warranty.
The FX/20's is 90 days, and the Bottom used to be 6 months (I haven't
checked recently).  I don't expect much difference in reliability.
They are all likely to be reliable, although the FX/20's Seagate
internal hard disk might be the best, and it has (quiet) fan cooling.

Hope this helps,

Ric

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (14104)
Date: 23-OCT 21:22 Hardware & Peripherals

Right.  So they don't work with everything.  The Micah spooler,
according to the author, does work with everything (which he's tried
so far).  Including the Laser FKEY.  Unfortunately, I think it's still
in alpha test.

I've heard that another spooler which is being done properly is in the works
from Gestetner.

To amplify slightly, "properly" means don't rely on the printer driver, go to
the PAP level (or lower if you're a masochist).

------------------------------

From: BMUG (14120)
Subject: RE: Laser spoolers? (Re: Msg 14104)
Date: 24-OCT 04:24 Hardware & Peripherals

The MacAmerica (and derivative) spoolers are basically slight
adaptations to the printspooler routine originally published in
MacTutor magazine within the last year.  If that level of
functionality is all you want, Sam Roberts' adaptation of that
spooling DA is available on BMUG Disk #33. I'll see if I can UL it
here.  It is PD, and it does the job, more or less... although you
have to create a PostScript file first (with cmd-f).

The "proper" way to do it is not to use the Mac at all... but to put
something else on the network, for instance, ANOTHER mac, that
IMITATES a LaserWriter! It would just be printed to and spool output
to the real LW (or LW's). This sort of configuration makes sense on a
large network, where one computer can be dedicated to this sort of
thing, without a large cost increase.

-- Raines / Team BMUG

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (14123)
Subject: RE: Laser spoolers? (Re: Msg 14094)
Date: 24-OCT 04:36 Hardware & Peripherals

What do you mean by "SCSI implementation" (the quality thereof)?

Why do you think the Seagate disk might be the best?  Why do you call it an
"internal" disk?  (Internal to the box it's in?)

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14129)
Subject: RE: Laser spoolers? (Re: Msg 14123)
Date: 24-OCT 09:25 Hardware & Peripherals

Quality of SCSI implementation = external termination, outstandingly easy SCSI
address setting and display; and no hassles with jammed cables when you hook
everything together (a problem on the MacBottom I've got).

Rick LePage did some research on SCSI drives for an article he wrote
for MacWorld (January issue) and was raving about the new Seagate
drive.  All I know is that it apparently does some bad block handling
itself, rather than loading all the work on the host (Mac/68000) end.
Our review of the FX/20 and MacBottom scheduled for December will
hopefully have a sidebar on the Seagate and some other SCSI/hard disk
stuff by Not-Technical-Editor Rick LePage.

"Internal"?  I must have meant the thing inside the FX/20 case - the hard disk
itself, that GCC purchases to put in their _external_ SCSI drive box.

Ric

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (14152)
Subject: RE: Laser spoolers? (Re: Msg 14120)
Date: 25-OCT 01:44 Hardware & Peripherals

The Micah spooler is intended to run on a semi-dedicated Mac.  It may also run
on a single Mac.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (14079)
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #86 (Re: Msg 14054)
Date: 22-OCT 21:32 Network Digests

 > From: rentsch@unc.UUCP (Tim Rentsch)
 > Subject: Re: Keyboard Layout

 > people should have TWO (different) keyboards, one for each
 > hand, and that they should be in the arms of your chair!?

Right, and they should be able to attach to the side of a chair without arms (
like the one I'm sitting on).

 > From: alex@vuwcomp.UUCP (Alex Heatley)
 > Subject: MacWrite Creation Source Wanted

My source code is part of Acta (you can save an outline as a formatted
MacWrite document), so you'll have to do without, but I assume you've
seen Tech Notes 11, 12, and 13.  I strongly recommend using MacWrite
2.2 format (memory-based).  Not only is 2.2 a superior program to 4.5,
but most programs read both (MacWrite 4.5, PageMaker, Word, WriteNow
Translator).  And it's _much_ simpler and easier to work with.  With
either format, you don't need to calculate anything -- write -1 as the
"active document" and MacWrite will recalculate everything (I call
this format "Lazy MacWrite").

 David Dunham     "If voting could change the system, it would be illegal.  If
 Maitreya Design   not voting could change the system, it would be be illegal."

------------------------------

From: RIVEREAST (14166)
Subject: RE: TeX (Re: Msg 14163)
Date: 25-OCT 02:51 Mousing Around

I have a trouble with MacTeX version 0.51 of Addison-Wesley.  I got it
from American Mathemtical Society this week.  But it's a still
preliminary version and cannot accept \magnification command.  I feel
the default of ten point is too small for draft output, so I want to
enlarge it.  I could use the command "\font\tenrm=cmr10
scaled\magstep2" and enlarge text fonts, but couldn't enlarge
mathemtical formulas by any means.  Does anyone know any smart way to
handle it ?  Or does anyone know about newer version of MacTeX which
can accept \magnification command ?

------------------------------

From: VASMUG (14169)
Subject: A question
Date: 25-OCT 07:16 MUGS Online

     If you could, please let us all know what WORD PROCESSING program you use
most.  We'd like to know what's the most popular WP amoung those in the MUGS
area.   This will help all make it easier to up-load materials. Thank you for
your time.  Send MAIL to VASMUG. Fred Showker - Shenandoah Mac Users Group

------------------------------

From: DMCWHERTER (14178)
Subject: DS copier beta - problem
Date: 25-OCT 10:03 Programming

Regarding the new version of the copier program I promised to
upload... I've found a problem with it that I'm not sure how to solve.
Maybe someone else can help. The problem is that if I copy to a disk
that was an HFS disk, then the file manager updates sector two on the
new copy with volume information from the volume information obtained
when the volume was mounted when I eject the new copy! In other words,
sectors 0,1, and 3-n have the new data on them, but ssector 2 has the
old volume information. Does anyone know how I can prevent this from
happening when I _Eject the disk?
   Thanks in advance, Dave McWherter

------------------------------

From: MICMAC (14088)
Subject: Another BBS...
Date: 23-OCT 02:38 Telecommunicating

Especially for European Users...
           MiC MAC BBS is up and runnin'
        It's the first french Macintosh BBS
           V21 V23 only (for that time)
           8 bits-no parity-full duplex

In case you don't have it (and before it turns to a Pumpkin on Halloween),
Servant is there and you can dowload it.
French Public & ShareWare Domain to download.

Open freely to all European Users (CCITT 'oblige')

Others European MacSysops please contact me (here or there)

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14098)
Subject: font limitations
Date: 23-OCT 13:36 Business Mac

One of our subscribers operates a service bureau for printing Mac documents on
LaserWriters and Linotronic typesetters.  He's starting to run into a roadblock
on the number of fonts possible in a System file.  I know this has been
discussed some, but I haven't really dug into the problem until now. With all
Adobe's new fonts, there is a huge set of possible fonts that can come into the
service bureau for any one job.  Is there any way to get more than 200 fonts
into the System?  Is there any way to keep fonts outside the System file and
just load them in when needed (attach them to the document or to the word
processor resource file perhaps?)  What exactly is the limit on the number of
fonts, and where does it come from?

I'd appreciate any information and discussion on the subject.

Thanks in advance,

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (14116)
Subject: RE: font limitations (Re: Msg 14098)
Date: 24-OCT 03:00 Business Mac

One topic for discussion is that there may not be any need to use that many
fonts -- certainly not if all he's doing is taking existing documents and
printing them.  A single size of each PostScript font should be sufficient
(especially for PageMaker, which doesn't resize things).  (After saying that,
I'm not so sure it would work without using the fractional spacing, which 1.2
does not.  Except that they use Aldus Prep, rather than Laser Prep, so maybe it
would work after all.  I don't recall any problems when I printed on a machine
that didn't have as many fonts as my creating machine.)

As I understand it, the limitation is solely in Font/DA Mover. You could
probably copy the FONT/FONDs into a System file using ResEdit.

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (14124)
Date: 24-OCT 04:37 Business Mac

They System file's resource map lives in the system heap, which is
often quite crowded these days.  Putting fonts into the relevant
application (e.g., word processor) will place the additional resource
map stuff in the application heap.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14127)
Subject: RE: font limitations (Re: Msg 14124)
Date: 24-OCT 09:18 Business Mac

OK, so that sounds like a good idea, right?  Better than hacking the boot
blocks...

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14128)
Subject: RE: font limitations (Re: Msg 14127)
Date: 24-OCT 09:19 Business Mac

Paul claimed that he got poor results by removing some of the screen fonts
sizes.  I said that sounded strange, and he went back to test it one more time.

Ric

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER (14142)
Date: 24-OCT 21:57 Business Mac

Rick,
     I don't know from "exactly" . . . but I think that _a_ limit on the # of
fonts in the System file is the space in the System Heap used for the resource
map.  Your friend might try modiftying his boot blocks to give himself a bigger
System heap.
     Depending on what program he's using, he might also be intrested in trying
Fontsie, which is designed to let one use fonts that just are sitting in a font
file on disk.
     And he should start bugging the word processing (etc.) companies
to include the equivalent of Fontsie themselves in their Font menus.
It's simple to let the user get at fonts in disk files,and unfriendly
not to. Fontsie _should_ be unnecessary.  I've offered several times
to provide source code or instructions how to do it, but so far
nobody's even been interested enough to look.

    - Lofty

------------------------------

From: JOSEF (14139)
Subject: new resedit
Date: 24-OCT 21:02 Programming

I've noticed that the latest version of ResEdit(1.0.1) does not display WIND
resources graphically any more.  I found that feature rather useful and am
tempted to continue to use an older version for that reason.  Does anyone know
what changed in the lastest version?

Joe

From: PEABO (14141)
Subject: RE: new resedit (Re: Msg 14139)
Date: 24-OCT 21:12 Programming

On the positive side, editing of non-specific resources is much improved.

peter

End of Delphi Mac Digest

-------