Date: Thu, 30 Oct 86 15:20:44 EST
From: bills@CCA.CCA.COM (Bill Stackhouse)
Subject: LSP and VBL tasks

Don't know if this is your problem, but I have noticed that LSP
dies (id=02) sometimes when the lightsbug window is open and some of the
file manager calls are done, have not taken time to really try and
understand exactly is happening. I do know that all is well in the
same situations if the lightsbug window is not open.

------------------------------

Date: 30 Oct 86 17:22:00 EST
From: <bouldin@ceee-sed.ARPA>
Subject: linking assembly lang. subroutines to fortran

This note describes how to link a fortran main program with an Assembly
language subroutine. You need MS (absoft) fortran 2.2 and the MDS 2.0
assmbler that works with HFS. Here I describe the simplest possible
fortran and asm routines. More elaborate description can be found in
Appendix F of the Fortran manual and in the May, 86 issue of Mactutor.

There is nothing complicated about doing this except for the linker script
file needed for use with the MDS assembler. Roughly, you do this:
1. Assemble your subroutine.
2. Compile your Fortran main program.
3. Link the ASM subroutine with the _MDS_ linker to:
   a. write the code on the data fork
   b. change the name of the ASM subroutine to the form xxxxx.sub
4. Link the ASM subroutine to the Fortran main program with the _fortran_
   linker.

To be specific:

If the main program is:
PROGRAM  ASMTST
PRINT*, 'CALL TO ASM SUB WILL NOW RETURN YOU TO THE FINDER'
CALL ASM1
PRINT*, 'FOR SOME REASON IT DID NOT WORK'
END

and the ASM Subroutine is:
;a comment
	_ExitToShell	;just returns to finder
;that's all

You now need to:
1. Assemble the assembly subroutine.
2. Link it with this script file using the MDS linker:
/DATA                (puts the code on the data fork)
/TYPE '    ' '    '  (that's TYPE_'____'_'____'   to set type and
                      creator bytes to nothing)
filename.rel         (output file from assembler)
/OUTPUT filename.sub        (for fortran assembler)
3. Compile your fortran main program.
4. Link the asm. subroutine to the fortran main program with the fortran
   linker. the script file (or you can type it in as you go) is:
f mainprogname
f asmsubname

That should do it. Now you are over the main hurdle (the hocus pocus part) and
only need to contend with the vagaries of 68K assembly language and the
calling conventions of fortran.

------------------------------

Date: 29 Oct 86 12:21 EST
From: LEUE%nmr.tcpip@ge-crd.arpa
Subject: Another MacDraw Bug

I have posted this bug report before, but I now have some more detail, and
with all the flaming on the net about MacDraw bugs, this seems an
appropriate time to re-post.

We are running MacDraw 1.9 on a Mac XL, using MacWorks 3.0, System 3.2, Finder
5.3, and a LaserWriter +.  To crash the system:
        1. Open MacDraw on a new document
        2. Draw any freehand squiggle
        3. Smooth it with the "smooth" command from the Edit menu
        4. Print the document, using all default settings

Result:  BOMB, ID = 2.

This is absolutely replicable, and happens anytime a smoothed freehand object
exists anywhere in a drawing.

I will be happy to add any heat I can to the growing flame directed toward
Apple about MacDraw bugs.

-- Bill Leue, General Electric Corp. Research & Development
(ARPA: leue@ge-crd)
(UUCP: seismo!steinmetz!nmr!leue)

[ note from moderator:  I'm not sure, but I think that this is a bug in
the 3.1 version of the LaserWriter driver. I recall that people had the
same problem as above while using MacDraft. DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 86 07:18:05 EST
From: Martin Resnick <mlr0%gte-labs.csnet@CSNET-RELAY.ARPA>
Subject: Mac+ pinouts

DTR is avaiable on a Mac+.

Correct Mini DIN-8 pinouts:

Pin	Name		Description
---	----		-----------
1	HSKo		DTR
2	HSKi/Ext Clk	CTS (or TRxC)
3	TxD-		Transmit Data
4	Ground
5	RxD-		Receive Data
6	TxD+		Transmit Data
7	Not connected
8	RxD+		Receive Data (ground this to emulate RS232)

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 86 10:44:35 est
From: jonathan@mitre-gateway.arpa (Jonathan Leblang)
Subject: GAME-MAZEWARS-PLUSCOMPAT.HQX

Here is a copy of mazewars that I have been able to get to work on using
appletalk and two Mac+s and a 512e. The files are in PackitIII format (com-
pressed) and include three macpaint files, a text file, and three
applications.  The version that works on a Mac+ is called Mw, and the
version that works on a 512 is called Mw512.  BEFORE running it on a 512, it
MUST be renamed Mw.  To start the program run the file fix-mpp.  I have
no idea what it does, other than run the Mw program; however, it works.

Jonathan Leblang
jonathan@bert.mitre.org  (arpa)

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-MAZEWARS-PLUSCOMPAT.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 86 09:39 EDT
From: KEOUGH%BCVAX3.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: GRADER.HQX

The following is a grading program that I think many teachers will
find very helpful. Unlike the Grades 0.96 program that I circulated
some time ago, this is like a spreadsheet program which allows
ease of editing and grade manipulation. I use it a lot, as do
a few dozen of my colleagues here at Boston College.
(Note, however, that if you used Grades 0.96, this program will
NOT read datafiles created by that program. - sorry).

Also enclosed (once you unpack the binhexed file with Packit 1.0)
is a five-page writeup of the program's limitations and
features. please read it.

I offer the program for you to use in any  way you want. No
licensing fees, or hidden requests for $5 or $10. It's absolutely
free and in the Public Domain. However, you get what you don't
pay for. I cannot support this program, nor will I guarantee
that there will ever be an upgrade path. On the other hand,
the program is very reliable, and it's a vast improvement over
the Grades 0.96 hack that was circulated before.

I think it's a good program and I hope you enjoy it.

Jerry Keough
Department of Mathematics
Boston College
Chestnut Hill, MA. 02167
KEOUGH@BCVAX3.bitnet

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GRADER.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 29 Oct 86 20:07:09 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: 10/28/86 MACINTOUCH BENCHMARKS

Name: 10/28/86 MACINTOUCH BENCHMARKS
Date: 28-OCT-1986 23:03 by MACINTOUCH

This is the 10/28/86 performance data for hard disks, cache systems,
and network software from the "MacInTouch" newsletter.  It is a
collection of data for a wide variety of hard disks (and other
configurations) from 1985 through 1986.  This version includes the
HyperDrive 2000, the FX/20, and the MacBottom SCSI disk.  Excel and
tab-delimited text files are provided so that you can import the data
into your favorite database, spreadsheet, or word processor.  A
text-format documentation file is also included.  Comments and
suggestions are welcome.  See the addresses (electronic and USMail)
given in the files.  - Ric Ford

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>MACINTOUCH-BENCHMARKS-861028.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 28 Oct 86 20:14:36 PST
From: chuq@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach)
Subject: Macintosh Version list (from CompuServe)

here is the macintosh version list I mentioned, downloaded from CompuServe.
Passing around is okay, but please send me updates so I can forward them to
the original maintainers -- that way everyone benefits.

chuq

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>SOFTWARE-VERSIONLIST.TXT

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 29 Oct 86 14:33:10 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #88

Usenet Mac Digest        Wednesday, 29 October 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 88

     Anyone out there heard of "The Surgeon?"
     Looking for SCSI homebrew info.
     Placement of folders
     Help, our Lisa's disk has problems
     Possible bug, SuperSpool 3.1d
     Re: Help, our Lisa's disk has problems
     TRS-100/102 <-> macintosh
     FlushVol question
     Fidonet software for the Mac reported in process [from net.mail]
     computer narrative/art installation
     Mac => Sun
     Applications on a Hard Disk
     Wanted: AppleTalk Expert For Amiga Port
     Borland committment to Mac
     What's Nu with VME for Mac?
     Dataframe Utilities can be Killers
     Re: What's Nu with VME for Mac?
     Re: What's Nu with VME for Mac?
     Arbitrary Serial Output
     Password protection for HD20
     Spelling checker reviews needed
     Lisp on Macs
     Re: What's Nu with VME for Mac?
     Re: What's Nu with VME for Mac?
     Changing Fonts from the keyboard

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-88.ARC

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 30 Oct 86 09:40:46 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #55

Delphi Mac Digest          Thursday, 30 October 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 55

Today's Topics:
     RE: DS copier beta - problem (Re: Msg 14178) (7 messages)
     PhoneNet/LaserWriter+ problems (3 messages)
     New Excel Version
     Re: Re: Prob: interpreting Pascal to C -
     Computers and Medical Charts (3 messages)
     Packbits
     News from the Meadow
     RE: LightSpeed C/Loadseg hangs! (Re: Msg 935) (3 messages)
     MS Word 3.0 for the Mac (5 messages)
     RE: Word 3.0 -- A Mirage? (Re: Msg 14275) (2 messages)
     Re: Lisa to Mac compatibility
     Weird font problem
     DrawMenuBar() tidbit
     alarm clock menu blink
     RE: TeX (Re: Msg 14274)
     RE: INFO-MAC Digest V5 #2 (Re: Msg 14282) (2 messages)
     Word / WriteNow
     Dataframe Squeal (2 messages)
     DiskTimer results

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV2-55.ARC

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 86 01:48 EST
From: Henry Lieberman <Henry@OZ.AI.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Re: Problem with MS Word

In general, if any Mac program comes up with defaults you don't like,
here's any easy way to get around it.  Start up the program, change the
defaults the way you want them, then save out the document, calling it say
"New Document". This is like what is called an "init file" or "startup file"
in many systems.  From then on, just double-click on "New Document"
instead of the icon for Word or whatever the application is.  It's often
convenient to write-protect the startup file to avoid accidentally saving your
working document over it.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 29 Oct 86 08:44:05 +0200
From: Tamir Weiner  <UMFORTH%WEIZMANN.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: using Macros to do procedural changes in MacWrite

>   Date: Mon, 27 Oct 86 16:32:11 pst
>   From: Mike Wirth <mcw@lll-crg.ARPA>
>   Subject: A desktop publishing problem
>
>   I have a fixed-format text file on the Mac (125 char. per line,
>   followed by a carriage return), downloaded from a host computer
>   ...each line has (in fixed columns) a name, an extension,
>   a room number, a secretary's name, etc.
>   What I want to do is to "prepare" this file (change certain fonts
>   so that I can publish a company phonebook
>   that looks better than the current lineprinter listing.....

Yes this is quite a problem using MacWrite or a WYSIWYG editor
We also have extensive files and are using MacWrite exclusively,
such changes as you describe are difficult at best, and automated
changes are difficult to achieve.

>   Looks like this is a case where WYSIWYG fails badly
>   vs. procedural text formatters
>   With a regular expression pattern matcher and embedded control
>   codes for font changes (as in UNIX TROFF, etc.),
>   this would be duck soup.

I couldn't agree more!!
This is just one more reason why we are considering giving up on the
Mac as a production documentation tool, and will move over to
procedural text processors probably within the year, now that we can
get PostScript abilities on Minis and Mainframes.

>   What about using Tempo to format one line in MS Word, then turning
>   it loose on the rest of the file.  Is it smart enough
>   to keep track of character positions within a line?
Short of programming a routine to search and manipulate lines according
to your whims, this looks like the next best possibility  (unless you
want full reliability in which case hire a staff to do the changes
individually :-)   )
I haven't tried such a thing, but if your fixed format lines are
consistent in their line positioning, then it seems workable in
theory.  Tempo, or MacTracks or maybe other macro DA's could be
used to memorize your changes and then "set loose" on their
pilage and plunder scheme.
A couple of things to watch out for is that these programs tend to
have a mind of their own, and have been know to mess up doing
global changes.  You'lll need to proof their work anyway.   The other
Insurance you'll need is that you must attempt such global manipulations
on a backup copy of your file, as there is a better than nil chance of
messing up your file and crashing the system in the middle of a write
operation with these powerful but somewhat querky macro DA's.

Also I'd do a trial run on a couple of pages first, to see if your
global "watch me" changes work properly.  Macro editors have been known
also for watching the user, but memorizing poorly, e.g. you are sure
you hit the proper sequence of buttons and mouse movements, but they
don't record properly what you did.  If you have problems try again,
and make your motions smooth, slow, and deliberate.
That usually has solved my problems using MacTracks.

Lastly, I'm not sure of how you would get a macro to be recursive....
i.e. you could say "watch me while I make formatting changes to a line"
but I don't have the slightest how you would say, "now that you've
learned the line changes, do them to each line till the end of the file".
If someone knows of this trick, perhaps they can submit the technique
to the net?

Good Luck,    Tamir

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 30 Oct 86 15:20:16 EST
From: dms@HERMES.AI.MIT.EDU (David M. Siegel)
Subject: Printed Circuit Board Layout Software

I'm interested in buying a printed circuit board layout software. I'd
like a package that would allow printing the resulting layouts on a
LaserWriter.

Anyone know of such a program? Thanks!

------------------------------

From: dsc@seismo.CSS.GOV (David S. Comay)
Subject: what do people think of the max-2 memory expansion?
Date: Wed, 29 Oct 86 09:18:16 EST

i would appreciate hearing comments or pointers to comments regarding
macmemory's `max-2' two megabyte expansion board for use with either a
standard or an enhanced 512k mac.  i am think of purchasing the
product, and i would be interested in hearing how reliable it has been,
whether or not it is useful as something other than a ram disk in a
standard 512k mac, plus any other comments you may have.  thanks for
any information.

------------------------------

Date: 29 Oct 86 12:52 EST
From: HALLETT JEFFREY A            <HALLETT@ge-crd.arpa>
Subject: Megaroids on a 512ke or Mac+

Hello again.
  I don't know if you all have gotten as much fun out of Megaroids as I have,
but I think it is one of the best public domain games out.  Unfortunately, it
will not work on any Mac with the new 128K ROM.  Does anyone know why and/or
know a fix so that it will work?  I suspect that the screen location in memory
is somehow hard-wired into the program, but the 128K ROM changes that spec and
leaves Megaroids high-and-dry.

Thanx.
J. Hallett

End of INFO-MAC Digest