From: MACINTOUCH (14327)
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #88 (Re: Msg 14313)
Date: 30-OCT 10:28 Network Digests

First, regarding the bus for the new Mac, I understand that nuBus is supposed
to able to support the more-standard Multibus II cards.  Can anyone discuss
this in more detail?

to:rhc@ptsfa.UUCP (Robert Cohen)
Subject: Password protection for HD20
FWB Software, the company which sells Hard Disk Util (the patching program)
also has a desk accessory which provides the volume and volume-password
functions of the HyperDrive on an HFS disk.  This includes creating sub-volumes
(MFS, and HFS too I think), and password protecting them.  It may have
problems on disks larger than 20MB.

to: hodor@hplabsb.UUCP (Ken Hodor)
Subject: Applications on a Hard Disk

I think what you're missing is a FORMAT utility.  Initializing a hard disk
just marks it empty, but a real Format should write a new copy of the
driver to the hard disk, along with checking bad blocks, etc.  It seems
that the MacBottom software is missing the function that DataFrame, Iomega,
and probably others provide.  If I get a chance, I'll try to duplicate
the problem on a HyperDrive FX/20, then use its Format option to see if
it rewrites the driver.

Ric Ford
"MacInTouch" newsletter

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14329)
Subject: RE: PhoneNet/LaserWriter+ problems (Re: Msg 14319)
Date: 30-OCT 10:31 Hardware & Peripherals

I just had a report of a bizarre marketing move by Apple.  Apparently, Apple is
_raising_ the prices of AppleTalk cabling substantially.  Can anyone confirm
this?

Ric

------------------------------

From: PEABO (14338)
Subject: RE: PhoneNet/LaserWriter+ problems (Re: Msg 14329)
Date: 30-OCT 21:30 Hardware & Peripherals

The price of AppleTalk connectors (at the very least) has gone up by about 50%,
I think.  I don't know how this effects people who buy the kits for bulk
cabling, solder your own ...

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (14362)
Date: 31-OCT 05:18 Hardware & Peripherals

The last two developer price lists (one arrived today) show the retail price as
$75.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14366)
Subject: RE: PhoneNet/LaserWriter+ problems (Re: Msg 14362)
Date: 31-OCT 09:25 Hardware & Peripherals

I get the info that it's $75 for any of the AppleTalk hook-up kits,
and $650 for the custom wiring kit.

SCSI cables are quoted as $50 for the Mac-SCSI cable, $40 for SCSI-SCSI or SCSI
extender, and $30 for a silly little terminator!

Looks like Apple is trying to push third-party cable suppliers harder while
grabbing some excessive profit margins on what may be an annoying product to
keep in inventory.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14330)
Subject: Finder/many-file copy bug?
Date: 30-OCT 11:03 Bugs & Features

I wanted to copy 1006 files from an FX/20 to a MacBottom SCSI using the
Finder.  (Regular Mac Plus, with or without caching)   Even when I did
it in 4 stages to minimize the number of files being copied at once,
it always resulted in an ID=15 bomb, usually after a long period of
processing and copying.

To verify that it wasn't caused by a problem with file corruption or
the driver software of the FX or Bottom, I then did the copy using a
(patched) version of Dantz Software's Megacopy backup utility.  This
worked!  (I had to rebuild the Desktop to get everything up to snuff, but
that's no big deal.)

Has anyone else had this problem (on other drives perhaps)?  Is there
any _Apple_ workaround??

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14331)
Subject: RE: Finder/many-file copy bug? (Re: Msg 14330)
Date: 30-OCT 11:49 Bugs & Features

By the way, this also happened copying the same 16MB of files from the FX/20 to
a HyperDrive 2000, with 2.5MB of RAM!

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14332)
Subject: RE: Finder/many-file copy bug? (Re: Msg 14331)
Date: 30-OCT 12:53 Bugs & Features

OK, this ID=15 bomb seems to be tied to the System folder.  If I exclude the
System folder from the copy, the copying process works.

Ric

------------------------------

From: DWB (14340)
Date: 30-OCT 21:42 Bugs & Features

When I had problems with my first DataFrame I was able to use
ComputerWare's 512E to copy about 17 meg and 1500 files from one
DataFrame to the other with no major problems.  I just selected
everything on the desktop of one and copied to the other.  The only
problem I noticed was that the finder doesn't take into consideration
the fact that it may be transferring 4 digits worth of files and only
updates the last three on the "File Remaining Display."  Other than
that it worked fine, slow but fine.

    David

------------------------------

From: LAMG (14355)
Subject: RE: Finder/many-file copy bug? (Re: Msg 14332)
Date: 31-OCT 02:58 Bugs & Features

Ric:  I don't know if this is it, but I've sometimes run into problems backing
up the "active" System File (or Finder) - when I do backups, I always make sure
that I run the backup program (HFS Backup) from floppy.

-Franklin

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (14356)
Date: 31-OCT 03:00 Bugs & Features

For what it's worth (not much towards solving your problem), I
regularly copy 17+MB, 1400+ files among a HD20, MicahDrive 20 AT, and
prototype external MicahDrive.  I think I've done it in all possible
permutations of direction and drive pairs.  Mac Plus, Sys 3.2, Finder
5.3.  I drag the contents of the root window from the source drive to
the empty window of the destination.  The only problem I've
encountered is the esthetic one of Finder's box for number of
files/folders being big enough for only three digits -- the leading
"1" stays on the left border of the box when the number remaining
drops below 1000.

On the other hand, last summer someone told me of a problem similar to the one
you encountered when trying to copy one fairly-full HD20 to another.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14333)
Subject: Word 3.0, Intro.
Date: 30-OCT 13:18 Business Mac

We just got the press kit for Word 3.0.  It looks very good, and it should for
$395.  But it's not copy-protected (yay, Microsoft!).  Upgrades are $99 for old
Word owners, and $50 if you run out now and buy Word 1.05  (a good idea).  It
isn't scheduled for delivery until January.

Some major functions (more details later):
- outliner
- 80,000 word dictionary
- quick launch and return from other applications (Draw,Paint,Excel, etc.)
- mixed text and graphics
- mouse-based page-setup stuff (headers, footers, etc.)
- big speed increase
- customizable menues
- expert and novice modes
- PostScript inline
- indexing
- IBM DCA support
- Works, IBM Word, Windows Rich Text Format (RTF), MacWrite 2-way interchange
- PageMaker is supposed to support Word formatting
- multiple, snaking columns, or independent columns, side by side graphics/text
- compound documents (not clear, but suggests support for storage within
Word document of graphic objects, bit-maps, equations)
- column operations (move, delete, sort)
- keyboard option to bypass mouse requirement
- style sheets
- page preview
- ruler has enhanced functionality
- multi-level table of contents creation

It requires 512K RAM and 800K disk drive (you can send in coupon for
400K disks).

- 5-function math (+ - x / %)

Ric Ford
"MacInTouch" newsletter

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14365)
Subject: RE: Word 3.0, Intro. (Re: Msg 14335)
Date: 31-OCT 09:20 Business Mac

Microsoft is due to notify current users in November, they say.  $99
may be ok for the functionality, but it seems to me that the pioneers
who bought the original one are getting screwed again.  I guess
they're supposed to pay for the privilige of finding bugs and
workarounds.

Oh yeah, there is also some info in a Word output sample about Excel 1.03:

support for 68881 floating-point coprocessor
expanded linking
large screen support
latest Switcher included
no copy protection
ship end of October (?)

Ric

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER (14377)
Subject: RE: Word 3.0, Intro. (Re: Msg 14333)
Date: 31-OCT 19:54 Business Mac

Do you know if it fixes the footnote bugs?  And does it still take forever to
repaginate?

Lofty

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14392)
Subject: RE: Word 3.0, Intro. (Re: Msg 14377)
Date: 31-OCT 23:00 Business Mac

What _is_ the footnote bug you're referring to???  My impression is that
repagination, along with other functions, has been sped up.

Ric

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER (14405)
Subject: RE: Word 3.0, Intro. (Re: Msg 14392)
Date: 1-NOV-08:16: Business Mac

The footnote bug -- which-- which makes WORD unusable for many law
offices and academics -- is that a footnote too long to fit
comfomfortably on the page isn't carried over to the next page, but e.
Instead, WORD stops printing the current page at the point in text
where the footnote appears, and moves the text and the whole footnote
over to the next page.  So if you have a 3/4 page footnote attached to
text in the middle of page 3, page 3 stops in the middle (leaving a
huge blank space) and the text (and footnote) start anew on page 4.
If the footnote is longer than a full page, horrid things happen.

I know four law offices that went with IBM equipment because of this problem.
Lofty

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (14341)
Subject: RE: TRS-100/102 <-> macintosh
Date: 30-OCT 22:30 Network Digests

 > From: oster@lapis.berkeley.edu (David Phillip Oster)
 > Subject: TRS-100/102 <-> macintosh
 You can find the file format for Acta outlines on the developer SIGs on Delphi
or CompuServe.  Perhaps someone will post the file to your net.  Failing that,
anyone who sends me (or probably Symmetry) a SASE can get the format.

 David Dunham
 Maitreya Design / POB 1480 / Goleta, CA  93116

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (14344)
Subject: RE: Word / WriteNow (Re: Msg 14300)
Date: 30-OCT 22:31 Business Mac

I doubt he does...I sent him the sample version (and no manual). In my
opinion, it not only blows the doors off Word but sandblasts the paint
off, too.  (Unless you really need mail merge.)  Up to 4 columns on
screen, onscreen footnotes, WYSIWYG headers, pretty normal Mac
interface (no dumb key combinations, tho I'm not too fond of command-6
for whatever it means), pictures treated as characters (so on the same
line as text), automatic backup, works on Radius FPD without ever
crashing, very good WYSIWYG printing (adjusts rulers when you switch
between Tall and Tall Adjusted!). 50 000 word spelling dictionary,
which you can delete from and add to.

But those are only features.  What counts is that it's well done and fairly
fast.

It doesn't have "smart quotes."  I hear that the next version of MacAuthor (aka
LaserQuill aka LaserAuthor[?]) will.  MacAuthor is currently running in second
place in my opinion, and their new version could be #1.

Neither MacAuthor nor WriteNow save in a format that PageMaker uses.  But from
what I hear, that will eventually change (aided in part by the new 2.0 release
of PageMaker).

------------------------------

From: MACMAG (14398)
Subject: RE: Word / WriteNow (Re: Msg 14378)
Date: 1-NOV-00:41: Business Mac

WriteNow 2.0 should be able to read word processing formatted files without the
need of a conversion program.

Rich.

------------------------------

From: PEABO (946)
Subject: MPW C (Green Hills) "feature"
Date:  30-OCT 23:30 Programming Techniques

I just learned that MPW C defines '\n' as the same thing as '\r'!  I
guess it will be necessary to go back to octal to guarantee that what
you say is what you meant.

peter

------------------------------

From: PEABO (947)
Subject: RE: MPW C (Green Hills) "feature" (Re: Msg 946)
Date:  31-OCT 02:33 Programming Techniques

(More on MPW C):  it has a wonderful optimizing compiler, but somebody decided
to create glue routines that do the conversion from C to Pascal string
conventions.  Is it just me, or would most folks call this an example of
wrong-headed idiocy?

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (948)
Subject: RE: MPW C (Green Hills) "feature" (Re: Msg 947)
Date:  31-OCT 05:19 Programming Techniques

Yup.  Obviously Apple wants to cripple MPW C.  Luckily, Apple employee
Bob Perez does not, and I think he's posted a new .h file to
Compu$erve with glueless interfaces.  I never looked at it because I
don't have MPW.

------------------------------

From: JEFFS (949)
Subject: RE: MPW C (Green Hills) "feature" (Re: Msg 948)
Date:  31-OCT 19:03 Programming Techniques

This is also what Megamax does.  I don't find it all that bad.

                                               Jeff

------------------------------

From: PEABO (952)
Subject: RE: MPW C (Green Hills) "feature" (Re: Msg 949)
Date:  31-OCT 22:23 Programming Techniques

Well one (now two) out of the half dozen+ C compilers uses implciit string
conversion.  My point is that prevents the programmer from making decisions
about how to optimize his code.  With explicit PtoC and CtoPStr's he retains
control.  Forcing continual time-wasting conversions on people seems
unconsistent with the high level of optimization offered by the compiler (as
claimed by Apple).  Also, since they point out that most strings come from STR#
resources in a properly designed Mac program, that means you have to convert
into C format so you can call the routine that converts back to Pascal format.

It seems pretty idiotic to me.

peter

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD (953)
Subject: RE: MPW C (Green Hills) "feature" (Re: Msg 952)
Date:  1-NOV-05:03: Programming Techniques

Now that you folks are _seriously_considering_ Apple's C compiler, you start to
complain about something I was harping on Lisa Workshop C for some time.

The biggest problem that I have with the C interfaces is that they are not 100%
consistent.  Sometimes (and you have to check the .h files themselves) you will
have to pass the Pascal string address; sometimes the c string.

My own solution is to recode the .h files call by call.  Whenever I want to use
the Pascal string, I just change the header.  This is only a little tedious, as
I do it as I write the rest of the code.  If I remember right I haven't chosen
to use the c-string (interface) glue once yet.

Sometimes, like with FSRead() etc. you don't get a choice.  On the other hand,
the stuff I'm doing right now must use the PB calls or nothing.  Also, you can
always buy the Pascal compiler and link in with _its_ interface files.  What's
a few bucks?

I think this is something like "reimplementing the wheel".

Laird

------------------------------

From: DWB (954)
Date:  1-NOV-06:59: Programming Techniques

It's called "artificial stupidity" It's also one of my biggest gripes
about MPW C.  Right up there with not being able to put globals in a
DA or other non-application...

David

------------------------------

From: DWB (955)
Date:  1-NOV-07:01: Programming Techniques

Yeah, I really got used to doing all my work with PStrings.  After all, I never
used (still don't, just carry them around as) CStrings anyway.  They just get
shuffled from one ToolBox routine to another.  Why bother turning 'em into
cstrings and back...

David

------------------------------

From: PEABO (956)
Subject: RE: MPW C (Green Hills) "feature" (Re: Msg 954)
Date:  1-NOV-09:53: Programming Techniques

At least they promise to allow DA globals in a future release ...

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (959)
Date:  1-NOV-22:08: Programming Techniques

I agree with Peter.  It's an incredible inefficiency (in space as well
as time -- you have to have the glue code in each desk accessory
segment, plus the JSR's gonna be longer than a trap). It certainly
doesn't seem C-like.

I think Apple's developing MPW C only because they were so surprised that most
of the non-Apple developers used C.  They seem to have no inclination to use it
themselves...why else no \p, why else \n == \r, etc.

------------------------------

From: LAMG (14354)
Subject: RE: Dataframe Squeal (Re: Msg 14316)
Date: 31-OCT 02:51 Hardware & Peripherals

Alf:  yes, my DF ignores me on occasion, too.  The cures are: (1) Just wait a
while (it usually gets going in a few seconds) and (2) Turn it off and then on
again right away.   -Franklin

------------------------------

From: RAMARREN (14359)
Subject: RE: TeX (Re: Msg 14163)
Date: 31-OCT 03:08 Mousing Around

re:TeX we've got one/two folks who are real hot on using it because
there is no other program that will do the complex, scientific
expressions and equations necessary to our work in remote sensing.
I've been hacking at it with various Paint programs and Switcher with
Word, but the results (on the LaserWriter anyway) aren't so nice.  TeX
on the IBM with an Apple LaserWriter attached is fantastic for this
stuff. gods i hate to say that.  I HATE embedded command word
processing with a UUU (almost as much as I hate FORTRAN, our standard
vehicle). maybe I'll sti ck to ComicWorks for my reports.  They're
more understandable anyway...

godfrey

"disgruntled but learning to TeX"

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14368)
Subject: RE: TeX (Re: Msg 14359)
Date: 31-OCT 09:43 Mousing Around

Godfrey,
  I'd be interested in your evaluation of the new Microsoft Word 3.0
formula printing functions (as soon as we can get the information).

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14390)
Subject: RE: what do people think of the max-2 memory expansion?
Date: 31-OCT 22:56 Network Digests

to: dsc@seismo.CSS.GOV (David S. Comay) Subject: what do people think of the
max-2 memory expansion?

There are a couple of things to beware of:  the first is that, after installing
the memory upgrade, you've got to make sure the power supply is at 5.0-5.1
volts, exactly, measured at the memory.  The other is that there may be
a substantial increase in heat with the way the MaxMemory board is
positioned in relation to the Mac logic board.  Finally, beware of connecting
a lot of SCSI terminators and the memory upgrade all at once - I feel that
may cause some interesting voltage variations ...

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MDELUGG (14421)
Subject: Macsbug
Date: 1-NOV-18:40: Programming

Hi y'all,

Well here I am getting a bit more adventusurous...looking for trouble <grin>.
Can I trash the Macsbug file once it's loaded?  (I know, this assumes if I re-
boot I no longer want "bugsy")

Thanks,
                 -Mikey!

------------------------------

From: PEABO (14423)
Subject: RE: Macsbug (Re: Msg 14421)
Date: 1-NOV-20:47: Programming

Yes you can ... MacsBug is loaded during boot and operates entirely in memory.

peter

------------------------------

From: STEVEMALLER (14422)
Subject: How to reboot your Mac and Hard Disk (qu
Date: 1-NOV-18:46: SIG Business

 How To Safely Reboot Your Macintosh & Hard Disk After A Bomb
 By Steve Maller (with inspiration from Chris Gibson)
 Ever notice that, following a system error (a Bomb), that your hard disk
 takes forever to reboot?  This is because the Mac's file system under HFS
 has become very complex, and rebooting the machine without first "tidying
 up" causes the disk to be left in an unstable state.  Although this is
 not destructive, it takes the Mac a few extra minutes to rebuild from
 scratch certain parts of its directories.  This is a real pain, and it
 has always made me nervous.  What needs to be done is for the Mac to
 "eject" and the hard disk.  Obviously, the disk cannot actually be
 ejected, but tricking the Mac into thinking so will perform this
 "cleaning up" of the hard disk's directories.

 What follows is a procedure for typing in a very simple assembly language
 program using the "mini-debugger" built in to the 128K ROM in both the
 512e (Enhanced) and the Mac Plus.

 In order for the following to work...

   * You must install the "interrupt/reset" programmer's switch into
     the lower left side of the Mac's case.  Instructions are in the
     rear of the Macintosh's user manual.

   * You have to have BOOTED your Mac from the hard disk.  I don't
     think this will work with the MacBottom, and other disks that
     require a floppy from which to boot.  (It may work - I just
     haven't tested it.)

   * You needn't know ANYTHING about assembly language, bits, bytes,
     vectors, traps, or the Dewey Decimal System to use this!

 As soon as the Mac displays a "Bomb", do the following...

   1. Press the rearmost of the two programmer's switches.  This is
      the one labeled INTERRUPT, assuming you didn't install the
      switch upside-down!  (The Mac should display an empty box on
      the screen, with a '>' symbol in the corner.  If it doesn't,
      you had a BAD crash and you'll have no choice but to turn the
      power off, then back on again.  Sorry...)

   2. Assuming you are now looking at the mini-debugger, type the
      following.  Ignore any numbers that appear after you hit
      <Return>, and type exactly what appears below.  All 0's are
      ZEROS, not capital o's...

      SM 10008 4280 7001 4840 2040     ( press <Return> )
      SM 10010 A017 4E70 0000 FFFF     ( press <Return> )
      G  10008                         ( press <Return> )

 You will first see your hard disk's light flash momentarily, then
 the Mac will reboot.  If for some reason it fails, just try the
 above procedure again.  You will notice that the hard disk will
 reboot without delay!

 So, you ask what this does?  Without subjecting you to interminable
 technobabble, here's the "source code" to the above patch:

 ; * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
 10008: CLR.L    D0      ; First, we clear out reg D0...
 1000A: MOVEQ    #1,D0   ; We want address $10000 for our pb
 1000C: SWAP     D0      ;   for _Eject, so we build it in D0, then
 1000E: MOVEA.L  D0,A0   ;   MOVE it into A0...
 10010: _Eject           ; We then call _Eject, and the $10000
 10012: RESET            ;   vectors an offset of $16 to -1 which
 10012: $0000            ;   is the code for BootVol...
 10016: $FFFF            ; Do a 68000 RESET upon _Eject returning!
 ; * * * * * * * * * * * * * *

 Thanks to BIX's 'cgibson' (Chris Gibson) for the idea of using _Eject.  I'll
 take credit for the rest of it...

Steve Maller / MacQueue BBS (San Francisco) 415-661-7374
       DELPHI - STEVEMALLER   *    BIX - SMALLER

 :-{)

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD (958)
Subject: RE: LightSpeed C/Loadseg hangs! (Re: Msg 940)
Date:  1-NOV-20:58: Programming Techniques

I was patching around the other day, and missed a little.

I got around the immediate trouble and then got...a Segment Loader error!

So I turned on LoadTrap and...trapped once and...got...a Segment Loader error!

apparently you can goof up random values and it won't show until the Segment
Loader gets into it.

Just theorizing, but:  maybe you're nailing your code?

Laird

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (960)
Subject: Apple's interface
Date:  1-NOV-22:08: Current Discussions

What does everyone think about Apple's claim (in OutsideApple) that user
interface innovations you come up with are copyrighted by Apple?  This would
seem to imply that if I decide that triple-clicking selects a sentence,
quadruple-clicking selects a paragraph, Apple could say that I'm simply
extending their double-click paradigm and they have copyrights to my program (
which means they could restrict my porting of it).

I'm not sure what legal grounds this has, but it seems designed to cause
developers to do things in as non-standard a way as possible, to avoid legal
hassles with Apple.

End of Delphi Mac Digest

-------