Date: Thu, 6 Nov 86 09:42:42 est
From: James Clausing <jac@ohio-state.ARPA>
Subject: LightSpeed Pascal feature(?)

A friend encountered this bug which I have since recreated and I was
wondering if anyone in net-land could enlighten me on why.

The Background:  We were trying to port a large program that was
written for a class (to see if LSP was a reasonable environment for
this class in the future).  This program makes fairly extensive use
of string functions.  To avoid having to manually change all of the
calls to string functions, he decided to write a unit which exported
the function names expected and internally converted them to calls
to the LSP string functions.  This seemed to work fine except for
Delete.

The Symptoms:
	Procedure StrDelete (var st1:string, offset, length:integer);
	begin
	  writeln('string in ',st1);
	  delete(st1,offset,length);
	  writeln('string out ',st1);
	end;
	Procedure StrDel2 (st1:string; offset, lenghth:integer);
	begin
	  writeln('string in ',st1);
	  delete(st1,offset,length);
	  writeln('string out ',st1);
	end;
	.
	.
	.
	begin
	  st:='12345';
	  StrDelete(st, 1, 1);
	  writeln('string between ',st);
	  StrDel2(st, 1, 1);
	  writeln('string at end ',st);
	end.

produces the following output:
string in 12345
string out 12345
string between 12345
string in 12345
string out 2345
string at end 12345

My question, why won't delete work from within a procedure when the
string being worked on was passed in by reference, but it will when
the string was passed by value (in which case, of course, nothing
is returned to the caller)?  Am I missing something obvious here?
Any help would be greatly apprciated.

------------------------------

Date: 6 Nov 86 13:34 EST
From: HALLETT JEFFREY A            <HALLETT@ge-crd.arpa>
Subject: Positively last item on icons

   First, thanx much for your voluminous and quite helpful responses on my
icons problem.  I have tried everything upto and including destroying all
the resources I made and rebuilding them just like some of the examples you
gave.  I tried all the ways of using FEdit and ResEdit to affix the changes
you all suggested and NO DICE!
   Secondly, amidst all this, I have made an observation that I believe is
directly applicable.  When I download something, say a MacWrite document
or even an application and unBinhex and unPackit it, if it has an associated
icon, the file will ALWAYS take the generic forms unless a file with the
same creator is present to the current FINDER.  For example, I download
a file, undo it and a MacWrite document is unPackit'd.  That doc will use the
generic folded-corner document icon.  Now, I take the disk with this doc to
another machine that has MacWrite say on a harddisk.  Pop the disk in and wa-
lah the MacWrite doc icon appears on the doc!  Take the disk back to where
my generic System 3.2, Finder 5.3 is, pop it in, and we are back to the old
generic doc again.
    I take back one thing; SOMETIMES it happens with applications, but when it
does, there is no way I can get the associated Icon to pop back up, it
suffers from the Vanishing-Bundle-Bit syndrome I have described.  Another
thing, it always happens with files that I unfold with PACKIT II.  Ones that
come only BinHex'd always display the icons correctly.  How about that?

JAH

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Nov 86 00:40:32 pst
From: oster%lapis.Berkeley.EDU@BERKELEY.EDU (David Phillip Oster)
Subject: Apple Copyright Outrage

The October '86 issue of Apple's newsletter for developers, _Outside Apple_,
starts with a controversial article on Apple's copyright of the Macintosh.
Not only the code, but also the "look and feel" on the screen.

The article, "Who can use the Macintosh Interface" by Joanne Koltnow, has
a paragraph that gets me furious: (direct quote):

  "Developers who are considering modifying the interface should follow this
  rule of thumb: In general, you don't want the users to do something they're
  familiar with and have it produce an unexpected effect.  But you _can_
  have the users learn to do something new.  When you do this, however,
  remember that the 'something new' is usually derivative of Apple's interface
  and, by copyright law, also belongs to Apple."

My initial response was: "No way Jack! My ideas are my ideas.  They are mine,
I own them.  The claim that user interface ideas on the Mac inherently
belong to Apple is insufferable!"

I'm upset because this paragraph insults me and lies to me.

1.) It claims my new ideas are usually derivative.  This is a laugh when you
consider that the very "look and feel" that Apple is trying to claim is
their unique creation is itself derivative of the Xerox InterLisp-D and
Smalltalk interfaces. Or at least it is no less derivative than my ideas based
on the Mac interface.

2.) It claims that the original copyright holder somehow magically acquires
rights to new material attached to a derivative work.

A derivative work, under copyright law, is a translation from one language
to another language such as from Spanish to French. The term also applies
to a translation from one medium into another.  For example, the book
_Old_Possum's_Book_of_Practical_Cats (c) T. S. Eliot was translated into the
current musical "Cats".  Apple's claim is equivalent to saying that since
the authors of the musical used T. S. Eliot's words, somehow, magically,
T. S. Eliot owns the music of "Cats".

Note: Legally, "a derivative work" does NOT mean a work with no artistic merit
as it DOES mean in popular speach. Although _Battlestar_Galactica_ was
artistically derivative of _Star_Wars_ it was NOT legally derivative of
_Star_Wars_.
--- David Phillip Oster		-- "We live in a Global Village."
Arpa: oster@lapis.berkeley.edu  --
Uucp: ucbvax!ucblapis!oster     -- "You are Number Six."

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Nov 86 11:04:16 EST
From: Mark Nodine <mnodine@labs-b.bbn.com>
Subject: Here's a SUMacC List Manager interface

A couple of weeks ago I asked if anybody had written glue for the List Manager
for SUMacC.  I didn't get any response, so I wrote it myself.  In the spirit
of SUMacC, I am posting this as public domain software for anybody who wants
to use it.  The posting is in the form of a shell archive.  To unpack under
Unix, type
  sh listmgr.shar
If you are not using unix, use an editor to chop the files apart.

	--Mark

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>SUMACC-LISTMANAGER.SHAR

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu 6 Nov 86 12:42:11-PST
From: Lance Nakata <K.Kirin@OTHELLO.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Re: Trashed MacWrite Files

> Does anyone know how to recover from a disk a trashed (pre 4.5, 512e Mac)
> MacWrite file?  Nothing has been done to the disk since the trashing. Thanks.
>
> 					Richard Alpert <alpert@BU-CS.BU.EDU>

First of all, WRITE LOCK the damaged disk by sliding the disk tab to
the "open window" position.  Then, use Copy II Mac to make a Sector
Copy of the disk.  It is not advisable to use the Bit Copy option
because that will transfer formatting errors to the destination disk.
USE ONLY THE COPY FOR REPAIR WORK!

When you say "pre 4.5", I assume you mean a MacWrite 2.2 document.  If
this is the case, then you can try using File Tricks
(UTILITY-FILEFIX.HQX).  It has something like a "rescue ASCII text"
option.  If you have one of the rare MacWrite 3.x or 4.x versions,
then you can try using UTILITY-WRITERECOVERY.HQX.  Note that
WRITERECOVERY is for MacWrite files in compressed format (3.x and 4.x)
ONLY, and was specifically written for 4.5 files.  Do not use it on a
2.2 document.  Also, File Tricks has a 4.5 option, but I've noticed
that it does not recover many of the characters that are in a 4.5
file.

File recovery is sometimes a difficult task, but it can be done.  If
your entire disk is "unreadable" or "damaged", then the Sector Copy
process might help.  If it's only one file that won't open, then
perhaps File Tricks will help.

Good luck.

Lance

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  6 Nov 86 09:35:45 est
From: rs4u@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel)
Subject: Trashed MacWrite Files...

If the version of MacWrite you're using is between 2.2 and 4.5, then you are
taking many many risks; the intermediate versions (such as 3.8, 4.2) are
famous for crashing, and taking your work, and the application's code, along
with them.

I agree, about MacWrite's unreliability. Part of the problem is the crazy
file format they use.... And who every heard of an application that runs
SLOWER with a Prodigy board???

		--Rich

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Nov 86 12:14:15 PST
From: chuq@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach)
Subject: MS word defaults

What I do in MS word for most of my defaults is simulate style sheets using
the glossary function.  For example, I store letterhead  PICTs in the glossary
and I store paragraph formats in the glossary.  I can open a letter,
type "ORhead<command-backspace>" and my letterhead pops in.  I then type
"in<command-backspace>" and I get an indented paragraph format.  You can
set up just about whatever you want, get it out in a minimal number of
keystrokes, make it available when you want it without worrying about
opening up a specific default document, and use them in a less than
document sized granularity.

This doesn't help some things, like paper size.  It OUGHT to be possible
to build these defaults with TEMPO or some other keyboard macroprocessor,
shouldn't it?  That way, you aren't tied to only a single format in a
document, but can develop a set of standard formats you can paste in at
will.  VERY flexible.

chuq

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Nov 86 10:07:56 EST
From: Thomas Coradeschi  (FSA-E)  <tcora@ARDEC>
Subject: Reply: Schematic application for macs

This is my first attempt at replying to an inquiry on the nets, so please bear
with me if this isn't altogether coherent.

>I'm interested in buying a printed circuit board layout software. I'd
>like a package that would allow printing the resulting layouts on a
>LaserWriter.

I have recieved thru a co-worker, a demo disk
for an application called 'SCHEMA'
which is supposed to run on ibm pc's and clones. I tried it out, and it seems
reasonably useful. Automatically creates correct drawing upon definition of the
device, supports laserwriter, creates wire lists, etc. I have no real use for
the application, so  I never bothered to find out whether there is a macintosh
version available.
You can get in touch with
Omation, Inc
1701 N. Greenville Ave
Suite 809
Richardson, TX 75081
214-231-5167

Regards,
tc

Oh, and they want $495 for it.

------------------------------

Subject: jasmine HD
Date: Thu, 06 Nov 86 11:56:28 -0800
From: Don Rose <drose@CIP.UCI.EDU>

Does anyone know anything about these drives? The company is in
San Fran, and is taking orders for $575 if prepaid (+tax). They claim
their disk comes with 14mb of public domain software, which sounds
enticing. Thanks for any info --
Donald Rose (drose@ics.uci.edu)

P.S. they give a 1 yr warr and 30 day refund. Its a seagate. Has fan and surge
protection. SCSI. 2 in. high. Free shipping. Name: Direct Drive 20.
P.P.S. Has anyone seen companies selling them other than Jasmine
themselves? thanks again.
(P.P.P.S. Sorry if someone has already discussed this.)
P.P.P.P.S. Their addr/phone: Jasmine  Computer  Systems
                                  555 De Haro St.
                                  San Francisco, CA 94107  (415) 621-4339.

------------------------------

Date: Thu 6 Nov 86 03:32:54-CST
From: Werner Uhrig  <CMP.WERNER@R20.UTEXAS.EDU>
Subject: "things" to put your Mac-disks in ....

[ continuation of a long-interupted series of useful and thrifty hints ...]

remember, when in 1984 I discovered the reason to drink more champagne?

the corks make great supports to lift the front of the Mac to a user-friendly
angle ... (rumours have it that Apple justified the cost of an early 128K
"toaster-computer" by including 2 bottles of expensive 'bubbly' ...:-)

ah, and then there was the use of a Velcro sticker to tie the "indispensable"
*TOOLBOX* to the front of Mickey (consisting of a colorfully plastified
paperclip")

and how about the pointers of how to build TORX-screwdrivers and
piano-hinge "spreaders" to crack open your Mac ....

NOW THERE IS MORE !!!!

yesterday I discovered a new way to wrap a MAC-disk for mailing: you know those
plastic wrappers to keep beer cans cold?  Yep, perfect fit and great protection
for *HOT* data ... original, too (until now, at least).

Ah, and remember, the use of those Sterling plastic check files #269, which
list for ~$5 and which I buy at Target on sale for$3?  holds 140 disks,
available in Mac's "putty" colour, for those with a sense of color-coordination
(hi, H.J.  (-:), protects from water and dust, *AND* portable - it comes with a
decent handle!!!  and the 12 monthly cardboard check-separators cut in half
make great disk separators and markers.

This Monday, I discovered another useful Sterling product: the MultiFile #274,
lists at $5.99, this week on sale at the local Target store for $2.99: sized
for manila folders and about 6" deep, "putty" colour. IDEAL storage for 12
boxes of Mac-disks or lots of printed paper.  Stores nicely in book-shelves
also.  What more can I say ....

let's see what else ... ah, yes.  2 other things I picked up at Target: they
are selling a "Multidirectional Monitor Base" COMPUTERMATE" which "adjusts to
any desired position" for $10.  Great replacement for those *EXPENSIVE* French
champagne corks ...manufactured by A.L.S Industries, Torrance CA 90504, says
the box.  and another "putty" colored item: lately, lots of stores seem to
carry those plastic storage magazine "watch-a-ma-call-them".  You know, they
hold 1 year's issues of magazines ....  Great for that Mac-office, too, for listings and
manuals.  $2 on sale, often with $1 refunds for 3 proofs of purchase (if you
can't resist those inventions of the consumer-devil either).  I must have over
50 of those things ...

I also have to admit that I, recently, replaced the COMPUTERMATE with a *FANCY*
stand, which includes a power control center in the base (surge and spike
protector, 6 illuminated switches for master and individual line control) with
5 power outlets in the back, all for ~$60 mail-order from some outfit in
Houston that advertises in Computer & Software News.  brandname on the gadget
is "Pico Products" ....

and a reminder should your mouse go on the blink: the optical Apple-][ mouse
works at about half the price of the *REAL* item.  Besides, a trackball is
really better ( <= religious statement, no flames, please)

ah, yes, one last item: should your power- or motherboard ever go on the blink
and you are able and willing to take it out and ship it by mail (nothing to it,
really), I may just know of a place where you can get things fixed (swapped)
at a price that's hard to beat.  When the occasion arises, send me a
mail-message and I check on the actual availability and price at the time.  I
have yet to hear  of a refurbished power-board to go out - something I wished I
could say about  Apple boards ...  Wished I had known about this place in my
first *EMERGENCY*!

	---Werner	"Make my day", he said ...
			"One more time for the gipper", he said ...
			thanks, guys, for voting *THIS TIME*!!!

PS: I nearly forgot. Yesterday's NY-Times has some good mail-order prices:
	Mac+ for $1599 at SnW Electronics (800-874-1235)
	and LaserWriter for $3895 at 47th Street (800-221-7774).
	beats the riff-raff around here, and considering no sales-taxes for
	out-of-state, it approaches Consortium prices.

------------------------------

Date: 6 Nov 86 13:52 EST
From: HALLETT JEFFREY A            <HALLETT@ge-crd.arpa>
Subject: Startup Sound and Pictures

  I am interested in an application that will cause a Mac to display a
startup screen and play back a digitized sound file upon startup of the
Mac.  I know it exists, but I do not know the name of it (I've seen this
work on a Mac; it is impressive as heck!)
  I know that a startup screen can easily be made eg. via Paint Cutter, but
I have never seen a way to make a Mac play a digitized sound file on
startup as well.  Any ideas?

Thanx much.
JAH

[ note from moderator: The very impressive MacNifty audio digitizer package
comes with an application which installs an init resource into your system
file that allows a file called StartupSound to be used as a startup sound.
If you want to use the old startup screen method in addition to the sound
I'm fairly certain that is no problem. I set this up once upon a time but
found that, since digitized sound files are so large, the amount of time
to startup grew quite long and the whole effect grew tiresome. Nevertheless
I see that the MacNifty encourage the posting of that init so I will.
DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Thu,  6 Nov 86 17:02:34 aest
From: munnari!rpepping.oz!RAY@seismo.CSS.GOV
Subject: Mini Din 8 Plugs and panel mounted sockets.

Please could anyone out in Netland help.  We cannot find any supplier for these
in Australia that has any stock.   Please could you mail me as below if you know a good source of the items.

Thanks.  raymond Haynes (  ACSNET%"ray@rpepping.oz" ).

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Nov 86 17:15:18 EST
From: David A. Levitt <levitt@MEDIA-LAB.MEDIA.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Fonts for Hindi or other overstriking languages in MacWrite?

Is there a Hindi font or word processor for the Mac?
Is there a way to use MacWrite or other word processor to do
overstriking (or relatively complicated accents) that could
do Hindi and languages like it.  (It runs left to right.)

reply to levtt@media-lab.MEDIA.MIT.EDU

------------------------------

Date: 6 Nov 86 09:49:03 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #90

Usenet Mac Digest        Thursday, 6 November 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 90

     Re: Edit ver2.0
     Re: Command Keys for Openning Desk Accs.
     Freesoft roundtable on GEnie
     Re: Dataframe Utilities can be Killers
     Mac fan comparison
     Re: TML Pascal ver 2.01 bug
     Re: Arbitrary Serial Output
     Scanning Macwrite files while IN Macwrite
     Font wanted - romanised sanscrit
     Re: Driving a plotter from a MAC
     TML Pascal, SetPaths DA
     Video problems with upgraded 512K Mac
     Re: Software Project Management
     Journaling
     Re: TML Pascal, SetPaths DA
     MacWorks (Apple, are you there?)
     IBM-PC <-> VAX <-> MAC network?
     Re: IBM-PC <-> VAX <-> MAC network?
     MacPlus Connectors
     Prolog suggestions
     Re: What's Nu with VME for Mac?
     Questions about low cost Hdrives
     Re: Serial Port
     HFS Backup (and similar), HFS "Directories" (long query)
     Delphi V2 #55 (disk benchmarks)
     DiskTimer Results of Univation Disk

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-90.ARC

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 6 Nov 86 09:47:55 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #57

Delphi Mac Digest          Thursday, 6 November 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 57

Today's Topics:
     RE: Finder/many-file copy bug? (Re: Msg 14331) (6 messages)
     IMAGEWRITER-II HELP (2 messages)
     DiskTimerII
     RE: How to reboot your Mac and Hard Disk (Re: Msg 14422) (5 messages)
     RE: MPW C (Green Hills) "feature" (Re: Msg 946) (5 messages)
     RE: Apple's interface (Re: Msg 960) (2 messages)
     HELP get my PD offering off the ground
     RE: HELP get my PD offering off the grou (Re: Msg 14468)
     Voice recognition
     RE: alarm clock menu blink (Re: Msg 944)
     TeX (2 messages)
     DataFrames... (2 messages)
     DataFrame loongterm reliability
     DataFrames for $730.00? (3 messages)
     Appletalk pricing (3 messages)
     It's true about Berke.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV2-57.ARC

DAVEG
]

End of INFO-MAC Digest