Date: Fri, 7 Nov 86 14:15:38 PST
From: chuq@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach)
Subject: laserwriter fonts, hints, and toys

I'm about to buy a laserwriter for my own uses at home (OtherRealms is
going to turn into a nice, expensive hobby before I'm through) which
brings up all sorts of interesting questions that I thought I'd throw
out to the group mind.

First of all, am I going to have trouble hooking it up to my system?  I'm
currently running a Paradise hard disk off of the printer port, an
Imagewriter/Thunderscan and a modem off of an A/B switch on the modem port.
Appletalk also plugs into the modem port, right?  Does this mean I'm going
to have to go to an A/B/C/D switch, or is this going to a real hassle?
(note: since the LW can't do mailing labels, I can't completely retire the
Imagewriter, although the Thunderscan may be retired soon).

Question #2.  How well in reality does bitmapped (i.e. MacPaint) art and
graphics reproduce?  Am I (as an example) going to want to upgrade to
SuperPaint so I can do Postscript graphics? Has anyone played with the
new Postscript clip art starting to come out? Is SuperPaint better than
MacDraw?  What are the tradeoffs?

Question #3.  Does anyone know of a grahics librarian for PICT stuff?
Picturebase (?) does it for macpaint bitmap stuff, but not for macdraw
format graphics.  Am I stuck with the Scrapbook for now?

Question #4.  What are your favorite laser fonts?  Now that I'm not going
to be limited to 72dpi, I want to pick up a few distinctive typefaces for
some of my stuff.  I particularly would like to find a good London style
Old English font, if it exists.  What other fonts are available, and
which ones do you like?

Question #5.  What do you recommend for things like custom font/logo/graphic
design?  If I want to develop my own font characters and dingbats, what
should I look at using, assuming I want PostScript and not bitmap characters?

Question the last.  With the laserwriter coming in, I'm thinking it would
be a Good Thing to start using honest letterhead instead of pinfeed with a
bitmap letterhead logo for stuff.  Any suggestions on kinds of paper (also
colors and tints ) that work well in a laserwriter?  What sort of thigns
should I plan on avoiding (textured papers, for instance...).  Does the
printer have trouble with heavy (say 20lb) paper?

thanks for the help, in advance (this should get some interesting dicussion
going, I hope!)

chuq

[ note from moderator:  APPLETALK RUNS OFF THE PRINTER PORT ONLY. That is
the bad news. The good news is that if you only want two nodes on an appletalk
network (e.g. 1 Mac and 1 LaserWriter) you don't need to buy the special
$50 a node boxes and cabling but only need to directly connect the three
wires which appletalk connects. Note that a possiblility exists of having
your imagewriter (II only) as an appletalk node (about $100) which may
be interesting.  DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Nov 86 16:12:16 PST
From: ssp@Sun.COM (S Page [Tech Pubs {windows}]  691-7670)
Subject: Re:  laserwriter fonts, hints, and toys

These answers are pretty incomplete...

On #2:

MacPaint images pasted into true LW pages look pretty poor -- the
larger dots really leap out at you.  What you could do is paste them in
at 1 Mac pixel to 1 LW pixel (they would come out 1/4 the size), but I
have no idea how you do this.  The latest issue of 'Colophon', Adobe
Systems' News Publication, says that it used GrayPaint(tm) software
from Fractal Software; I imagine this lets you work with bitmaps at the
high resolution of the LW.

There's also a product called Bill's Ultimate Bitmap Editor, or something,
which simplifies editing 300dpi stuff.  It was mentioned in some recent
Mac magazine (MacUser? Macazine?).

You need a special bitmap editor because at 300dpi it's incredibly time-
consuming to work on a dots by dots basis.

Another approach is to scan the stuff in, but that's extra money.

The real answer is to use MacDraw or some other drawing/drafting package
so you bypass all the pixel scaling problems.

The "macho" real answer is to insert raw PostScript in your document
wherever you need an illustration.  I have heard of a special PostScript
font option for the Mac that allows you to include raw PostScript as
part of a Mac document.

#4 (fonts):
Call up Adobe (800)45-ADOBE to ask for a brochure on fonts and find
your nearest font dealer.  I would advise against going with anyone
else's fonts unless you really see all of them at a lot of different
styles and sizes.  Poorly designed LW fonts look even worse than all
the ImageWriter junk fonts.

There is an article in the Nov 12th Bay Area Mac Classifieds on
'Unusual Type Effects with Downloadable Fonts' (together with some ugly
sample fonts).  With an ordinary LW you can only download 2 fonts per
document (2 per text block in Page Maker), so if you want to use lots
of fancy fonts, you should think about getting a LW+.

If you buy a font designer program, you can in theory put somewhat
sophisticated clip art in the font, and bypass MacDraw/MacPaint
altogether.

All the Adobe fonts are good looking.  ITC Lubalin Graph is kinda
techy, Optima is cool, ITC Souvenir and Palatino are easy to read...
have fun!

=S Page		Tech Pubs (windows)	spage@sun.COM  (415)691-7670  M/S 5-40
					{hplabs,ucbvax,decwrl}!sun!spage

Not my employer's opinions; all the fonts mentioned are TM of someone or other.

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  7 Nov 86 22:03:24 est
From: rs4u#@andrew.cmu.edu (Richard Siegel)

Um....lotsa questions; I'll answer what I can.

A LASERWRITER FOR HOME????

That's something I would only >>dream<< about.....

1) Hooking it up to your system is doing to be very interesting, and you may
well have problems. See, AppleTalk only works off the printer port. Although
you can use a 9pin-to-9pin cable instead of shelling out $100 for AppleTalk
nodes, you still have to use the printer port. It stinx, but there are no
alternatives. Actually, there are.... I suspect you can't do without the hard
drive, nor would I recommend it. You could purchase an Apple Hard Disk 20,
which connects to the external drive port and still lets you hook up a
floppy, and thereby free the modem port for use by your
ImageWriter/Thunderscan setup. Then sell the Paradise.... (Who knows? If the
price is right...) The other alternative is to completely unhook the
ImageWriter, and swap it with the LaserWriter whenever you need to do
something like Thunderscan or print labels, neither of which the LaserWriter
can do. Basically, there's no way that you can have the Paradise drive,
LaserWriter, ImageWriter, and Thunderscan completely hooked up and at your
command at all times....

2) With the new LaserWriter drivers (which have been out for a few months
now) bitmapped graphics, like MacPaint graphics, will come out beautifully.
They finally implemented the printing right, so you can tell the LaserWriter
that you'd like your MacPaint bitmaps smoothed, or not. As far as
reproduction quality, you've nothing to worry about. I haven't tried
SuperPaint, so I can't comment on it. I use MacDraw for any drawing tasks I
have, since I generally don't deal with bitmapped images. On the Laserwriter,
MacDraw produces some of the most fantastic output I've ever seen. It's
pretty compatible with MacPaint, so you can paste in a bitmap from MacPaint,
and mess around with it, and print it out...

3) I don't know offhand of a MacDraw-format graphics librarian... All I can
suggest is the Scrapbook, or maybe some careful HFS organization....The
scrapbook kinda loses....

4) Since I do a lot of technical writing, my preferred font is Times 14. It's
not distinctive, but it is easy to read. Keep in mind that with the new
drivers, ANY Macintosh font can be downloaded, so if you have some really
nifty public-domain font, you don't have to worry. It'll look as good, and in
many cases better, than what you see on the screen. So go ahead and use your
London, and enjoy...
You could also use Fontographer ($495 from Altsys, if I remember correctly)
to create your own, if you're into that...

5) As I just mentioned, Fontographer wins for font design. You create a font
in terms of its outline, and you have an assortment of straight segments,
curves, and angles with which to build your font.

6) While I haven't done too much with heavy paper, or anything really
strange, I have printed a bit on lightly textured bond paper (weight unknown)
without any problems. I would want to stay away from anything extra-heavy or
extra-rough textured.. I would recommend you try some extreme cases, and see
what happens....

By the way, if you can, get a LaserWriter Plus. It's quite a bit faster at
processing things, it offers some really nice built-in fonts, and it doesn't
have some limitations that the LaserWriter does, if you decided to try and
test the envelope...

			--Rich

BTW, the opinions here are my own...
Fontographer is a trademark of Altsys, Inc...
I have no affiliation with Apple or Altsys or anyone else, but my
girlfriend...

------------------------------

Sender: "Kevin_J._Mackey.osbunorth"@Xerox.COM
Date: 7 Nov 86 14:09:48 PST (Friday)
Subject: Tandy 200 and Mac file transfer?
From: Mackey.osbunorth@Xerox.COM

In the December '84 issue of MacWorld, on page 158, there is a
description of a procedure for transferring files from a TRS 80 Model
100 to a Mac, using the Mac's printer cable connected to the modem port.
I've tried to do the same with a Tandy 200 but without success.

I have problems when I try to set the Tandy's Telcom program to use the
RS232 port. I enter a 5 for using the RS232 at 1200 baud (instead of M
for modem), leaving all the other parameters the same, and it beeps when
I press ENTER. I check the settings, and they are unchanged.

I notice that the Mac's printer cable's RS232 connection doesn't have
pin 6, though the article says this this cable should work.

(Note: The March '85 MacWorld, p. 117-118, describes a problem, with
using MacTerminal and the Model 100. The July '85 MacWrld, p. 141,
describes a solution to this by doing a POKE 63066,255 on the Tandy
before using MacTerminal, then doing a POKE 63066,0 when done.)

Kevin

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 04 Nov 1986 09:11 PST
From: "Dan Calderwood"  <GCO0002%CALSTATE.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: FOREIGN WORD PROCESSORS

At the risk of sounding extremely naive, I have a question regarding the logic
of foreign keyboards and fonts in relation to the Macintosh.  To allow simple
input of foreign text (ie. no alt keys used) are the ASCII codes sent
directly from the keyboard, or does the keyboard simply send a scan code
that is interpreted by the software?

The question was raised when a discussion of foreign keyboards and
word processors were being discussed. If the ASCII code is sent directly from
the keyboard (assuming the keyboard has its own ROM) then to "easily" generate
foreign characters, would simply mean switching keyboards, right?  If, however,
all keyboards send out the same scan codes, a foreign word processor is a must
to interpret the scan codes for the respective language..??  One last thought,
would a foreign font negate the need for a foreign word processor and
keyboard?

Thanks in advance for any information that would clear up this matter.

Dan Calderwood
Humboldt State University

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  7 Nov 86 15:40:48 PST
From: <DAVEG@slacvm.bitnet>
Subject: Radius Screen Demo and more

    Last night we got a first hand demonstration of the Radius screen
( 8.5 x 11 in) from the principals involved: Andy Hertzfeld, Burrell Smith,
and Alain Rossman. It was EXTREMELY impressive to see a full page plus
the Mac screen working together. Andy's firmware is (as expected)
unbelievable with lots of small features which make the screens work
together in an elegant and useful way. All windows can have zoom boxes
and zoom to a full page on either screen. Windows can exist on either
screen or span the two screens simultaneously. You've probably heard
all this stuff before but seeing it is a real treat. Before the demo
I felt that their implementation suffers next to a larger screen used
by itself. The E-machines screen (on paper) looked to be a better idea.
After the demo, I'm not so sure. The user interface details on the
Radius screen may make it the one to beat. My jury is still out but
has been swayed quite a bit by the demo by the stars.
   One additional point...Andy has evidently cleaned up a lot of programs
which had minor or major incompatibilites with using the big screen. He
has done this in the firmware of the Radius and it is transparent to
the user. The compatibility issue will only get better as more screens
are in use and the open mac hits the market, but according to Andy,
the Radius screen offers the most compatibility currently.
   With Andy at hand, I had the opportunity to talk with him about
Servant. Rumors that he has given up on the project are unfounded.
He indicated that he is still working on it (is up to version .85)
and should have a newer (imperfect) version available soon for testing.
Andy indicated that within a couple of months he was going to decide
exactly how far to take the Servant program. It is clear that to have
a finished, bug free version was an extremely ambitious project which
would take probably 6-9 more months. He has not decided whether to
do so. In any case, he plans to continue with Servant for now, so
we should be able to look forward to better versions.
   For those that are in the local area, you missed a wonderful evening
full of excitement with both the Radius screen and the stars discussing
everything from marketing to programming philosophy. For those outside
the local area, be sure and go to such a demo if it comes nearby.

David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538
usual disclaimer #432 applies: my employer apologies for the fact
that I have access to this net.

------------------------------

Date: Sat, 8 Nov 86 21:59:25 pst
From: Bernard Aboba <bernard@ararat>
Subject: Optical Character Readers

I have had the experience on utilize an optical character reader service
firm to read in several hundred pages of data for my thesis.  I feel I
am therefore in a good position to evaluate the current state of the art.

The firm I went to utilized a Kurzweil scanner which can recognize any
type font as long as the type is high quality. For example, it is usually
impossible to recognize characters written by a dot matrix printer, or
a bad xerox, but laserwriter quality output would do just fine, as would
output from a high quality typewriter.  As for foreign languages such
as Russian, Japanese, Hebrew, etc., I have no experience, but as the
quality of the scan depends greatly on the expertise of the operator
(more on this later), my guess is that most services wouldn't do a very
good job with this.

In my application I was entering numbers, so I wanted high accuracy, and
compared the price of scanning versus "verification" service of a
commercial data entry firm.  Scanning was much cheaper, and as I was
promised an error rate of 1 in 10,000 characters, I went ahead.

After I got the data back, I realized that the error rate was much higher
than 1 in 10,000 characters.  As I had part of the work done by a
commercial service in "once-through" mode, and part by a department
secretary, also not checking her work, I was able to do a comparison.  The
scanner was more accurate than my department secretary, but less accurate
than the commercial service which didn't verify the data.  Scanning would
still have been cheaper than typing it "once through."

Here is the rub though -- in portions of the document the error rate was
horrendously high, on the order of 50 errors per page.  The reason for
this was that the type face changed slightly (perhaps someone changed
the typewriter ribbon), and the Kurzweil, having been "trained" to
recognize characters early on in the document, couldn't cope with this
initially.  It did seem to adapt after about 10 pages, though, and things
were fine again.

So to summarize, scanners are economically viable for "once-through"
data entry where accuracy is not all important, and errors can be easily
seen and corrected.  For absolute accuracy, there is no alternative to
traditional data entry and verification methods.  Here I distinguish
scanners of the Kurzweil type, which are very expensive, from Optical
Character Readers, which can only recognize certain fonts.  My opinion
is that optical character readers are not sufficiently reliable to
use in commercial or important applications.

The firm I used was:
	Quadratype
	Mani Feniger, Marketing Rep
	2201 Third Street
	San Fransisco, CA 94107
	(415) 621-0220

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 06 Nov 1986 10:54 PST
From: "Andre Lehre"  <GFA0009%CALSTATE.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: WORD templates: a cautionary note

If you are using LOCKED Word templates for your documents, be aware that if
you open the document from inside word (choosing "Open" from the File menu)
you WILL NOT get a message indicating that the item is locked and cannot be
changed.  With the 128 ROMs you can type merrily away, SAVE the document (no
message appears to indicate you can't) and close.  Your document--and all
your effort-- will have vanished!  The template is unchanged.

So...it's wise to open your templates from the Finder to be sure you get that
reminder that you need to "Save As.." right away.  It would be nice if Microsoft
would modify Word to give you an error message when you try to write to a
locked file.

       -- Andre Lehre

[ comment from moderator:  Unbelievable!    DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Sun, 9 Nov 86 00:12:26 est
From: spector@nyu-acf4.arpa (David HM Spector)
Subject: A generic DA for LightSpeedC.

Enclosed please find one generic DA for LightSpeedC.  I wrote it this weekend
after trying to port some of my older Mac C code to LightSpeedC and found that
it was easier to start from scratch in most instances, due to some of the non-
standard aspects of the former.  It does most of the things one would
want in a DA, such as menus, update events, etc; but it doesn't do too much,
so its easily expandable without having to throw away a lot of useless code.

The Generic DA may be freely copied and used for non-commercial purposes,
except where stated in the program's comments.

			Enjoy,

			David Spector
			NYU/acf Systems Group

The following is a hexified .pit file containing the files "GenericCDA.c",
"GenericDA.r" and "Generic DA".

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-LSC-GENERIC.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Nov 86 11:21 EDT
From: <JCLARK%UTKVX4.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Macintosh Pascal v2.1

This is taken from a letter from Anjali M. Magana, who is Macintosh
Pascal Product Manager:

What are the differences between 2.1 and 2.0?
  1.  Due to input from dealers, the Backup/Install program has been removed
      from the Utilities disc.  You use the Finder as you do with other
      Macintosh applications.

  2.  The "Generic" file on the Utilities disc, which was missing from the
      2.0 update, has been added.  (This is a reprint of a MacTutor
      article.)

  3. The PShell has been corrected so that programs that are saved as
     applications now appear with a "see-through" Blaise Pascal icon.  Before
     only the name appeared with no icon.

Note:
     it has been my personal experience that versions 2.0 and 2.1 are much
     more restrictive of the range of traps allowed in "InLine" calls.
     Indeed,  some of the programs which worked under the previous version
     need "work-arounds" in 2.1.  I don't recall which ones are not allowable,
     but when you use one, you get a message to the effect "traps must be in
     range of..."

Jim Clark

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 6 Nov 86 15:22 EDT
From: Paul Christensen <PCHRISTENSEN%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: RE:  MacPascal 2.1 a reality

MacPascal version 2.1 was released in late July.  It corrects several minor
bugs in version 2.0, and it removes ALL copy protection (yes, you can finally
see the formerly invsible files!).

					- Paul Christensen

				CSNET:  PCHRISTENSEN@RCA.COM

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Nov 86 15:32 EST
From: LYONS%FSU.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Trouble with MaxPlus memory upgrade

We purchased a MaxPlus kit to upgrade one of our Mac Plusses to 2Mb about a
month ago.  I installed it and everything worked fine until yesterday.  The
Mac wouldn't boot up, instead the screen was black except for the
question-mark icon.  After checking the supply voltage and making sure the
SIMMs were seated ok, it still didn't work, so I deinstalled the upgrade.
Unfortunately, the Mac was still dead, this time with a different pattern
on the screen.  When I looked closely at the upgrade's socket module, two
of the three chips showed evidence of overheating. I am going to
send it back to the manufacturer for test/inspection and await the
diagnosis of the Mac's problem.

I had read a number of messages on the net here to the effect that most
people were happy with this upgrade kit.  Has anyone had experiences
similar to mine?  I had already ordered more kits before this trouble, now
I don't know whether to send them back or not.

Jim Lyons  (LYONS@FSU.MFENET)
Supercomputer Computations Research Institute
Florida State University
Tallahassee, Florida 32306

------------------------------

Subject: Re: Jasmine Hard Drive
Date: Sat, 08 Nov 86 12:39:01 -0800
From: "David M. O'Rourke" <rourke@icsb.UCI.EDU>

I am writing in response to the request for Jasmine Drive info.

I recently purchased the jasmine drive and I couldn't be HAPPIER.

I decided to puchase the drive as a backup for my father's business data.
He hates dealing with floppies but wanted to do backups of our Apple HD20
after throwing out a tape backup system, do to the cost and difficulty of
finding reliable information regarding their use. We decided to purchase the
Jasmine and see what it could do.

We received the drive and simply pluged it in.  I found the drive to be
extremly fast, quiet, and an overall good value for the money.  Since
aquiring the drive it is now the primary drive and the HD20 backs it up.

As far as the software, don't plan on just getting the drive and using it, it
took just over three hours for me to weed through the PD software and determine
what I wanted to keep.  A second hard Drive is very nice for this process
because you can use it to hold the stuff you would like to keep and when you're
all done, you can initalize the Jasmine drive and move everything back on to
it.

I am very happy with the purchase and I have recomended it to three close
friends who were thinking of purchasing a Hard Drive.

David O'Rourke
rourke@icsb.uci.edu  (I don't know my full address)
ps I'm a computer science major at UC Irvine.  I've owned a Macintosh since
May of 1984, and I've been developing software for the Macintosh for about
6 months using TML Pascal.  I write custom software for my father's
business.

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  07 Nov 86 00:59:01 +0300
From: <CLAK100%BGUNOS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: New Fast Hard Disk

I hope this will interest some of the Hard Disk Jokies, the drive bellow was
purchased in England and produced by Rodime - Scotland

These are reported results from the DiskTimer program as of Nov 07, 1986 for
the disk above.

                              ----- time in seconds -----

                              100 32KB  100 32KB   80 1MB
Model, Vendor  [Note]            Reads    Writes    Seeks   Reported by
---------------------         --------  --------   ------   ------------
Rodime S20+ (SCSI)       14.5     14.4       5.0   Rafi I. Brunner

Disclaimar: I have no connection with Rodime except that I am a satisfied user
of the S20+.

P.S the disk seems to boot and work normaly with unpatched system 3.2 and
finder 5.3, how ? it is a mystery to me
Rafi Brunner    CLAK100@BGUNOS.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Fri,  7 Nov 86  09:44:44 AST
From: PAUL%Acadia.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Paul Steele - Acadia
Subject: RF Interference with Hard disks

I have recently acquired a Mirror Techonolgies Magnet 30X 30Meg
hard disk.  The disk seems extremely fast compared to others I've
seen, but there is one severe problem.  It generates a totally
unacceptable amount of RF interference.  Every radio in the house
was "zapped", as well as the TV reception.  I have never seen a
computer device generate so much RF interference.  Needless to say,
I am returning the disk.  What I would like to know is if other
people have experienced this problem with Mirror drives, or with
other brand drives.  If I order a new drive from the States via
mail order, I'm going to be very upset if I encounter a severe
RF interference problem.  Although I would prefer a 30Meg disk,
I have considered the following drives for a replacement to the
Mirror drive:
                LODOWN 20      $995
                DATAFRAME 20
                PHOTON 30
                JASMINE 20     $599

There may be others, but these seem to have the best price per megabyte
value.  If anyone has any experience with these drive, please let me
know.  Thanks.

==> Paul@Acadia.BITNET

PS:  The MAGNET 30X has a 30Meg Seagate, which I've used before on PC's
     without problems.  The Mirror drives obviously have a design problem.

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 7 Nov 86 13:23:35 GMT
From: Jsventek@Cs.Ucl.AC.UK
Subject: Telephone interface hardware

I am in the process of developing some multi-media applications on Xerox 1100
series machines under Interlisp-D.  In order to include voice as one
of the media, I need to find hardware which samples voice from a standard
telephone and outputs it through a serial interface.  Before I left
the states this past May, I was aware of an interface provided by the BMUG for
use with Macintoshes.  The purpose of this query is to flush out any other
hardware widgets which could be connected to our 1100's.  Please respond
directly to me, as I do not belong to any of these lists.  I will send a summary
of responses received to each list within a couple of weeks.

Joe Sventek                          <JSventek@cs.ucl.ac.uk>
ANSA Project
24 Hills Road
Cambridge  CB2 1JP
United Kingdom

P.S. I already possess the MMH software from ISI, thanks to Greg Finn.

[ note from moderator:  the MacNifty soundcap is a general digitizing system
for the Mac that is about $110 including software. I am not sure how adaptable
it is for other systems. DAVEG ]

End of INFO-MAC Digest