[mod.mac] Delphi Mac Digest V2 #58

SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (Jeffrey Shulman) (11/11/86)

Delphi Mac Digest          Tuesday, 11 November 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 58

Today's Topics:
     Playing with sector-interleave factors (5 messages)
     RE: How to reboot your Mac and Hard Disk (Re: Msg 14516) (2 messages)
     RE: Finder/many-file copy bug? (Re: Msg 14512) (2 messages)
     RE: IMAGEWRITER-II HELP (Re: Msg 14464)
     proper definition of time variables
     RE: MPW C (Green Hills) "feature" (Re: Msg 975) (3 messages)
     Inside Mac Volume IV
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #90 (Re: Msg 14551)
     seminar announcement
     modem recommendation (3 messages)
     RE: DataFrames... (Re: Msg 14545) (5 messages)
      Re: Command Keys for Openning Desk Accs
     DiskTimer Results of Univation Disk
     Re: Fedit and Bundle bits (Re: custom ic
     RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #90 (Re: Msg 14551)
     RE: INFO-MAC Digest V5 #3 (Re: Msg 14299)
     LaserWriter (5 messages)
     Excel Macro
     Intersting MacTerminal 2.0 feature
     1 Mbit RAM chips are here for the Mac Plus
     scc clock (2 messages)
     SCSI controllers
     HD20SC Icon (3 messages)
      the cache

From: LOGICHACK (14534)
Subject: Playing with sector-interleave factors
Date: 6-NOV-01:20: Hardware & Peripherals

Steve:

    I'm interested in playing with the sector-interleave factor in my
DataFrame-20.  Since you are the resident SCSI expert, I hope you can give me
some clues.

    Basically, I want to use as tight an interleave-factor as I can. Of course
my DataFrame initializer program already does this but since I have a 12.5mhz 3
to 1 board, does it not make sense that I might be able to do better?

    If you could give me some clues as to what the code would look
like to set the interleave, I figure I can snoop around in the program
and try different values manually...  Does this make sense or is there
something inherent in the SCSI ROM code that puts a cap on transfer
speed?  I understand that SuperMac's XP upgrade patches the Apple ROMs
and requires the drive to be reformatted.  Any ideas as to what they
are doing?

Thanx,

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: NAKMAN (14541)
Subject: RE: Playing with sector-interleave facto (Re: Msg 14534)
Date: 6-NOV-03:05: Hardware & Peripherals

Paul -

I'm beta testing an XP upgrade right now, so I can tell you a little about it.
It consists of a piggyback board that plugs into the Mac's ROM soeckets and the
ROMs plug into it.  It allegedly replaces some of the Mac's buggy SCSI code in
ROM (which is fixed by RAM patches in System 3.2, but as a result does not run
as fast as it would in RAM).

Without the XP upgrade, on a norma Mac+, you can run Initializer 1.5
and get a 2:1 interleave.  With an XP, however, you can get a 1:1
interleave. This affects primarily the speeds of BLOCK data transfers,
so it will make programs like MS-Word and other Microsoft stuff speed
up a lot, but it will have little effect on MacWrite.

-- Raines

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (14547)
Date: 6-NOV-03:25: Hardware & Peripherals

Within the past few days, SuperMac has figured out how to get 1:1 interleave
without adding ROM code to the Mac.  Hence, their XP upgrade will consist only
of new initializer/driver software and a controller ROM change (in the drive
box).  I don't know what they're changing in the controller.

The interleave factor is determined by the contents of the format command given
to the controller by host software when the drive is formatted.  The interleave
factor also appears in the software command that assigns an alternate track to
replace a bad track (since this command is a kind of format command affecting
only the alternate track).

For any given CPU speed, there is a cap on data transfer due to the
fact that each byte must be moved by a CPU instruction.  However, even
with 8MHz CPUs, 1:1 with MFM (5MHz) drives is possible, as both
SuperMac and MICAH have demonstrated.

It's pretty tough to predict what the code would look like to set up
the format.  In case the format command is in a table, it would look
like this:

04 00 00 00 0X 00

where X is the interleave factor, and the last byte might possibly be $40
instead of 00.  Not a terribly distinctive pattern, I'm afraid. Using a
debugger, you could try trapping _SCSIDispatch before formatting.  If the word
on top of the stack is 0003, then a command is being issued; if the word below
that is 0006 (length of command) and the long below that is an address that
points to the 04... pattern above, then that's the format command.  (In memory
terms, read "above" for "below.")

If you patch the format command but can't find the patch for the assign
alternate track command, don't sweat it -- a bigger interleave on the alternate
tracks, if there are any, isn't going to be noticeable.

------------------------------

From: WESTEN (14566)
Subject: RE: Playing with sector-interleave facto (Re: Msg 14541)
Date: 6-NOV-22:35: Hardware & Peripherals

The latest version of the XP upgrade (now finished and shipping today I think)
does not require the ROMddaughter board, nor any modification to the Mac at
all...or so Dan Clarke (head Tech after Edelman himself at SuperMac) told me
yesterday. -Chuck

------------------------------

From: NAKMAN (14634)
Subject: RE: Playing with sector-interleave facto (Re: Msg 14566)
Date: 8-NOV-19:18: Hardware & Peripherals

Dan Clark of SuperMac just posted a message in MACUS confirming that: The XP
upgrade (and XP drives) are now shipping.  No modification of the Mac is
required, just a board change in the drive itself.  After doing this, you can
reformat the drive to get 1:1 interleave (which greatly increases the speed of
CERTAIN programs, but not all) and you can change the SCSI ID from Software
(definitely needed, as one who has changed the ID's on 5 DataFrames, several
times, by hand, and punctured a finger and shocked myself as a result).
Initializer 2.1 was just posted on CIS and should be up here (I'll UL it myself
if SuperMac doesn't!)

-- Raines

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK (14535)
Subject: RE: How to reboot your Mac and Hard Disk (Re: Msg 14516)
Date: 6-NOV-01:22: SIG Business

I'm pretty sure that's because you can operate the mini-debugger from an
external terminal.  Kinda handy since it doesn't mess up your screen.

Try it.

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (14544)
Date: 6-NOV-03:23: SIG Business

In addition to the on-screen minidebugger, the ROM contains a nub for
two-Mac debugging.  When the interrupt button is pressed, the ROM says
to itself (in perfect English): "Is there something connected
(asserting CTS) to the modem port?  Yes! But is the serial port in use
(driver open)?  No!  OK, there must be a Mac running MacDB attached!
So, I'll ship a bunch of info out the modem port."  If a modem is
connected and not online (port not in use), the ROM will wait forever
for a valid MacDB response.  If nothing is connected, or the port is
in use (serial driver open) it puts up the on-screen debugger.

------------------------------

From: PEABO (14537)
Subject: RE: Finder/many-file copy bug? (Re: Msg 14512)
Date: 6-NOV-02:25: Bugs & Features

But if the disk switch dialog were lost, shouldn't that trigger some kind of
system bomb?  Usually when there is a problem with disk switch alerts, you get
an endless loop trying to paint the alert box, which can be fixed only by
rebooting.

Also, I'd be happier to see a more robust DeskTop file.  I haven't had any
trouble with mine, but I keep hearing reports of very odd things affecting
folder X or folder Y.  The Finder ought not to believe everything it reads from
disk.  (Ditto for the Resource Manager, which can get terribly messed up by
corrupted resource files.)

peter

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14553)
Subject: RE: Finder/many-file copy bug? (Re: Msg 14537)
Date: 6-NOV-10:49: Bugs & Features

Well, it appears that it was indeed corruption of the catalog or desktop.  I
eventually initialized the target disk, created a new system folder on it, and
dragged the individual files from the old system folder into the new one. This
gave me a "good" system folder, which could be copied along with 1006 files to
another hard disk without any problem.  I went both ways between the MacBottom
and the FX/20 (and a Hyper2000) to make sure it wasn't a bug in a hard disk
driver.

I wonder if this is related to the problem that crops up occasionally,
where Chooser can't find printer drivers that are in the System folder
and have worked fine before.  A blessed folder problem?  (A number of
people have had other folder problems though, so maybe it's not just
the blessed folder). By the way, I always have only one System folder,
so it can't be a problem of multiple blessed folders.

Ric

------------------------------

From: REGENCY (14548)
Subject: RE: IMAGEWRITER-II HELP (Re: Msg 14464)
Date: 6-NOV-03:43: Telecommunicating

Thanks for the info.  The problem was that I had MAX PRINT spooler on.
When I shut the spooler off everything worked fine.  It took two days
for me to realize the problem, because I was using McWrite and the
printspooler just before logging on to delphi.  thanks again for the
feedback.

------------------------------

From: RMUHA (981)
Subject: proper definition of time variables
Date:  6-NOV-01:26: Inside Mac

In the course of a recent project involving lots a dealing with the
system time I discovered that the Lightspeed include files define the
global variable time (as well as the alarm clock value, file create
and mod times, etc) as long ints.  Note that since the MAC measures it
time from Jan 1, 1904 the MSB of the time values has been set for
quite a while.  So for calculations and comparisons to work properly,
these definitions should really be unsigned long.

------------------------------

From: RMUHA (982)
Subject: RE: MPW C (Green Hills) "feature" (Re: Msg 975)
Date:  6-NOV-01:35: Programming Techniques

Many centuries ago, when I was programming on a beached whale of a
timesharing system known as TSS (IBM's first and worst), I was
involved in porting lots of C programs to that system.  There, the
system also expected strings to be preceded by a length byte; however
the address you passed was of the first actual byte of the string.  So
we actually rigged to compiler to generate the secret length byte and
voila, strings that were mostly usable.  Now, in my old age, I find
conduct like that embarassing.  It might still work on the MAC.  You
would just have to say &"xyz"[-1] or, more simply, "xyz"-1.

I shouldn't be saying this.  Somebody might actually go ahead and do it.

------------------------------

From: PEABO (983)
Subject: RE: MPW C (Green Hills) "feature" (Re: Msg 979)
Date:  6-NOV-02:15: Programming Techniques

We'd *rather* do the PtoC and CtoP ... it's the thought of turning on all those
optimization features and then having the run-time library munch through our
strings all the time that is upsetting!

peter

------------------------------

From: DSCHLESINGER (999)
Subject: RE: MPW C (Green Hills) "feature" (Re: Msg 946)
Date:  10-NOV 23:31 Programming Techniques

BTW, Mac C also makes no distinction between '\r' and '\n' -- they're
all carriage returns.  While this makes some (slight) sense in terms
of usage on the Mac, it's un-C-like behavior.  C should be WYSIWYG
programming.

The '\p' construct is, as far as I'm concerned a _MUST_...  I'm used to CtoPStr
and PtoCStr...

If you don't like the register-based argument passing in Mac C, you can always
recompile everything and force stack-based argument pasing.

Vers. 5.0 of Mac C has a "pascal" declaration for functions as well as
a library of [Not in ROM] routines.  Speed has also been enhanced...

Mac C for me!!

------------------------------

From: STEVEMALLER (984)
Subject: Inside Mac Volume IV
Date:  6-NOV-02:16: SIG Business

Can anyone define what the Can anyone define what the "Time Manager"
is, and WHY it exists? I pride myself on an intimate knowledge of the
guts of the Mac, and I can find no reference to it.  Is is covered in
Inside Mac Volume IV?
  Steve

985  6-NOV-03:32: SIG Business
     RE: Inside Mac Volume IV (Re: Msg 984)
     From: BRECHER      To: STEVEMALLER (NR)

It's a high-resolution timer facility covered in IM vIV.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14555)
Subject: RE: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #90 (Re: Msg 14551)
Date: 6-NOV-11:07: Network Digests

To: naftoli@aecom.UUCP (Robert N. Berlinger)
Subject: Freesoft roundtable on GEnie

I had the same problem on GEnie, but found Brian Ebarb, CMUG, to be very
helpful.  Just send him mail asking to be in the Roundtable.  He's sort
of the sysop.  (CMUG => Coffee MUG).

to: tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith)
Subject: Re: Dataframe Utilities can be Killers

I talked to PCPC, and they claim they'll release a Format utility in the next
week or two.

Ric Ford
"MacInTouch"

------------------------------

From: BCSMAC (14558)
Subject: seminar announcement
Date: 6-NOV-12:02: Business Mac

AIGA Boston               Information Design Seminar      Saturday, November 15

Boston Design Center, 660 Summer St., Boston          9A to 5P, Registration 8A

  Seminar Fee: AIGA Boston members $50, Non-Members: $75, Students w/ID: $25

                                Guest Speakers:

Alan Kay, is a musician and computer scientist and currently one of three
   research fellows charting Apple's future.

Edward Tufte, Professor of Political Science and Statistics at Yale University,
   author of "The Visual Display of Quantitative Infomation."

Kenneth Morris, faculty member at John Jay College of Criminal Justice,
   executive vice president in charge of Language Services Division of the
   design firm of Siegal and Gale in New York

Joel Katz, a partner of Katz Wheeler Design in Philadelphia. Katz has
a particular interest in maps, diagrams, and the visualization of
complex data.

Sharon Helmer Poggenpohl is a design consultant and teacher based in
   Philadelphia. Her interests include design process and alternative
   approaches to organizing information.

                 For information please call: 492-2777 x2505

------------------------------

From: RMUHA (14563)
Subject: modem recommendation
Date: 6-NOV-18:52: Hardware & Peripherals

For the last six months or so I've been using an ADC moden that I
purchased from DAK (the high-tech liquidation people) for $169.  It's
Hayes compatible and seems to be quite reliable (although, since I
live in Cambridge, I've never had noisy line problems since Delphi is
but a local call).  In their latest catalog, they've dropped the price
to $149.  So if you need a modem... I've also found DAK to be very
good w/respect to returns...just send it back and they send your money
back (no questions asked).

Incidentally, on the subject of return policies, I'd like to warn
people to stay away from Warp Nine.  I purchased a Warp 20MB internal
drive early in the year but sent it back (within two days) after
reading the installation instructions: they require you to pry your
logic board back into place! It took a month of phone calls before
they would credit my VISA account...

------------------------------

From: DWB (14596)
Subject: RE: modem recommendation (Re: Msg 14563)
Date: 7-NOV-06:12: Hardware & Peripherals

Regarding prying your logic board back into place.  I've found that
the best way to get the logic board into and out of it's frame is just
that, take a screwdriver and carefully pry it out, rather than trying
to slide it out.  This is especially helpful if you have a daughter
board (sh as my MonsterMac) that increases the hight of the board and
makes it otherwise difficult to remove.

David

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14627)
Subject: RE: modem recommendation (Re: Msg 14596)
Date: 8-NOV-13:23: Hardware & Peripherals

This does seem to be common practice, used for HyperDrive and many
other internal Mac modifications.  I've seen it called "jumping the
board" into place.

Ric

------------------------------

From: WESTEN (14567)
Subject: RE: DataFrames... (Re: Msg 14545)
Date: 6-NOV-22:39: Hardware & Peripherals

Steve, SuperMac is (at least sometimes) removing the antistatic tabs... How
dangerous do you think this is? Chuck

------------------------------

From: PEABO (14570)
Subject: RE: DataFrames... (Re: Msg 14554)
Date: 7-NOV-00:40: Hardware & Peripherals

My HD-20 used to make a high pitched noise from time to time, usually
lasting from 20-60 seconds after which it would become quiet again.
(The image that comes to mind is the singing of telephone wires on a
hot summer day -- that's what this sounded a bit like.)  The first
time it happened was about an hour after I unpacked it, and it scared
the #@@$ out of me (I ran the disk disgnostic again and reformatted,
etc).  Later on I got accustomed to hearing it a couple times a week,
and nowadays I think it hardly ever happens.

I figured after a while that it must be the fan, but I never was sure.

peter

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (14589)
Date: 7-NOV-03:54: Hardware & Peripherals

We had some really horrible noises develop on our Corvus Omnidrive,
and I managed to cure them by opening up the case and vacuuming away
the several mm thick layer of dust.  It took about a day after that
for the noise to completely go away.

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (14592)
Date: 7-NOV-04:37: Hardware & Peripherals

Yes, that's the ground strap contacting the spindle the wrong way.
Not quite as bad as chalk screeching against a blackboard, but almost.

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (14594)
Subject: RE: DataFrames... (Re: Msg 14567)
Date: 7-NOV-04:38: Hardware & Peripherals

The only indication I've had that the ground straps are not purely superfluous
was from Steve Edelman, who says he has a manufacturer's lengthy study of the
subject, the length implying that it was not a cut and dried conclusion.

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (14590)
Subject:  Re: Command Keys for Openning Desk Accs
Date: 7-NOV-04:36: MUGS Online

To: tim@ism780c.UUCP (Tim Smith)

> Does anyone know why there is supposed to be a null [at the start of a DA's
> name]?  IM says it is to avoid conflicts with file names, but who cares if a
> DA and a file have the same?

The _Open trap cares; it needs to be able to distinguish file system
names from device driver/DA names.  _OpenDeskAcc is basically "just"
glue to the overloaded _Open.

However, I think the null is a 64K ROM anachronism -- that the 128K ROMs don't
care.  The 128K ROM _Open looks via the unit table, or for a resource of type
DRVR, if the name starts with a period, or if ioVersNum=0 and ioPermssn = $40.
_OpenDeskAcc sets the 0,$40 values before calling _Open.  Note that file/volume
names cannot begin with a period.

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (14591)
Subject: DiskTimer Results of Univation Disk
Date: 7-NOV-04:37: MUGS Online

To:     "Robert E. Yellen" (IMD-TSD) <ryellen@ARDEC.ARPA>

DiskTimerII reports results in deciseconds, with no decimal point.  I
assume you divided the results by 10 to render them comparable with
DiskTimer (the predecessor program) results.

Note to all: please report the results in the units provided by the
program.  The units are different in DiskTimerII in order to avoid
confusion with DiskTimer results, since some people don't report which
program they ran.  Also, please do not report DiskTimer results;
report only DiskTimerII results.  DiskTimerII repairs a flaw in
DiskTimer; it is not merely another kind of test.  If the results from
the two programs correlate, then the DiskTimer results are
superfluous; if they don't then the DiskTimer results are invalid.
DiskTimer and its results should be discarded in favor of DiskTimerII.
Thanks for your time in running DiskTimerII and reporting its results.

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (14626)
Subject: Re: Fedit and Bundle bits (Re: custom ic
Date: 8-NOV-11:09: MUGS Online

To: Lance Nakata <K.Kirin@HAMLET.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Fedit and Bundle bits (Re: custom icons for applications)

> With the new ROMs, Fedit 3.05 through Fedit Plus 1.0.7 have problems
> retaining changes done to the LAST modified file.

The changes are made directly to the disk.  This is necessary because
the File Manager does not provide a facility for changing all of the
attributes (only some of them).  The problem is observed if you have
the cache on when you enter Fedit: the cache is not updated.  The new
attribute settings are correct on the disk but not in the cache.  When
you leave Fedit, Finder's GetFileInfo gets a cache hit on the obsolete
directory block.  The reason your workaround -- open another file from
within Fedit -- is effective is that it overwrites the cache with info
about/from the new file, and then Finder's GetFileInfo must go to
disk.  Another workaround is to disable the cache (via the Control
Panel) before launching Fedit.  John Mitchell tells me that Fedit Plus
2.0 will invalidate the cache so that it will be refreshed from disk
before subsequent programs get information from it.

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD (14645)
Date: 9-NOV-11:51: Network Digests

To: richa@tekred.UUCP (Rich Amber )
Subject: MacWorks (Apple, are you there?)

Yes, you are right:  Apple has pulled the plug, at least through the dealer
network.  Dumb Dumb da Dump.

But if you have a friend with MacWorks XL, use Copy II Mac sector copy.  You
might have to run it on a Macintosh, maybe on a 400K drive.  MacWorks 3.0 was
part of the "May 1985" Software Supplement, so APDA might carry it too.

Apple cannot be blamed for letting their dealers cut off - the dealers don't
stand to make any more money from the product - but there still are a few
Lisa/Macintosh XL dealers.  Call the Apple Zip Code laddies (aka their toll
free Customer Service number) and they might give you a hand; or a boot.

The latest Macazine has some other telephone numbers that might be helpful.
In particular, try NetSolutions at 800-523-6549.  They publish The LisaTalk
Report, and could certainly help you out (but they are a comercial operation).

Apple is now beginning to second-source the Lisa, which is probably good news
to current Lisa owners, because folks are working on enhancing it.  Speeding
the clock rate is one goal (although I can't for the life of me figure why
some EE wizard hasn't removed the memory overleave on the screen buffer - a
dual port can't be that difficult).  The basic hardware capabilities of the
Lisa make it far more of a computer than the Macintosh is.  On the other hand,
Lisa was Macintosh by bureaucracy, and bureaucracies don't make money, they
just make more bureaucracies.

By the way, the MacWorks emulator may run slower than the Mac does, but things
like the scrolling on the 3.9 Workshop Editor show that Lisa is plenty capable
of running as fast as the eye can see.  The problem was, they had software in
there that would put a mainframe to sleep.  Try doing a sector view on the
MacWorks disk.  Just reading the things in there amused me, anyway.

Finally, I can't recall booting the Lisa from my MacWorks XL disk - but I've
used a copy quite a lot!  Good luck - and use Hard Disk Install to put MacWorks
up in your Hard Disk next time.

Laird (MACLAIRD).

------------------------------

From: DSACHS (14653)
Subject: RE: INFO-MAC Digest V5 #3 (Re: Msg 14299)
Date: 9-NOV-16:47: Network Digests

ODESTA HELIX is capable of selecting areas from a text line.  You may need the
latest version of Double Helix.  You could also preprocess your file with a
simple program written in BASIC, C, or PASCAL.

------------------------------

From: PDNNOG (14673)
Subject: LaserWriter
Date: 9-NOV-21:06: Hardware & Peripherals

Peter, I've just gotten a new laserwriter. Beautiful! and appears to
have the Version 38.0 rev 2 roms which I have seen is actually for the
LaserPlus.. maybe apple is doing the macplus rom thing on the lasers.
Only one minor problem, when the printer prints a buncha things at a
fast clip, the paper gets a funny almost not noticable set of wrinkles
on the right hand side of the paper. This is with both regular xerox
20lb paper, and the new Laser paper from Inmac. Is this something that
will ease in time? It actually is only noticable in the right light.

------------------------------

From: PEABO (14696)
Subject: RE: LaserWriter (Re: Msg 14673)
Date: 9-NOV-23:40: Hardware & Peripherals

I haven't seen any wrinkling on my LW (but it is a non-Plus LW, if the
speed of page setting has anything to do with it).  I have noticed
some irregularity in print density, which tends to get better after
the cartridge has been running for a while (and with repeated sifting
of the toner acfording to the directions) .

peter

------------------------------

From: INC (14707)
Date: 10-NOV 17:40 Hardware & Peripherals

It's very possible that the toner cartridge is damaged or incorrectly loaded.

Try taking it out and examining it.  We had to replace one last week that was
wrinkling and jamming.

Josh / MacInTouch

------------------------------

From: PDNNOG (14710)
Subject: RE: LaserWriter (Re: Msg 14696)
Date: 10-NOV 18:10 Hardware & Peripherals

Thanks for your reply. It's always a pleasure to know I will get a
response, even tho in this case, it does not shed light on the
problem. This wrinkling which is more three waves, very subtle in the
paper, seems to be more pronounced when the printer is printing
continuously and the paper is warm, and also when the paper is low in
the cassette. I have a feeling it may be the toner cartridge breaking
in.

------------------------------

From: PDNNOG (14711)
Subject: RE: LaserWriter (Re: Msg 14707)
Date: 10-NOV 18:11 Hardware & Peripherals

Thanks for the message. At least it prints fine, but I believe you may be
correct. No jamming.

------------------------------

From: NOFAL (14676)
Subject: Excel Macro
Date: 9-NOV-22:08: Business Mac

Is there anyway to make Excel count only weekdays within a macro or a formula?
    --Danny P.S.:This is a question from my father.Not mine.

------------------------------

From: PEABO (14701)
Subject: Intersting MacTerminal 2.0 feature
Date: 9-NOV-23:51: Telecommunicating

I just noticed for the first time that there is a thick black line at
the bottom of the MacTerminal screen display.  For whatever reason, I
am able to make it scroll into view by pressing on the down arrow when
the screen would otherwise be at the bottom.

(Just did a little experimenting while typing ...)  Aha!  It turns out that it
you inadvertantly adjust the window size of the MacTerminal window, it uses the
black line to indicate that you are not exactly on the screen boundary!

peter

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14706)
Subject: 1 Mbit RAM chips are here for the Mac Plus
Date: 10-NOV 16:43 Hardware & Peripherals

I haven't seen much discussion about this, but it seems that Dove is selling
RAM upgrades for the Mac Plus that use 1Mbit chips.  We've been waiting for
this for a long time.  Since the Mac power supply is such a wimp, it seems
that this is the only good way to upgrade a Mac's memory capacity.

MacConnection (1-800-MAC-LISA) quoted me the following prices for the
Dove upgrades:

 4 MB  - $1549
 2 MB -  $769

Yeah, it's a little steep.  But the Dept. of Commerce in its wisdom is
setting an arbitrarily high price for RAM chips after the big "dumping"
investigation.  FMV ("fair market value") pricing of 1Mbit chips appears
to be about $40.  They are selling for $20 in Japan.  256K chips are about
10 times cheaper.

I've called Dove, and gotten only a run-around so far.  MacConnection, however,
claims to have been running 3 Macs with the 4MB upgrade for a few months
without problem.  I guess a Mac using 1Mbit chips should actually run cooler
than one with 256K chips and 1/2 the memory.

Ric

P.S. Dove is at 800-MAC-SNAP

------------------------------

From: OPPENHEIM (990)
Subject: scc clock
Date:  8-NOV-20:59: Programming Techniques

Can the SCC use an external clock in the asynchrous mode? Does anyone know of a
source for this chip's spec sheet?

Thanks. op

------------------------------

From: PEABO (992)
Subject: RE: scc clock (Re: Msg 990)
Date:  8-NOV-21:38: Programming Techniques

The 8530 SCC chip is manufacured by Zilog and also by at least one second
source.

peter

------------------------------

From: HSTARR (993)
Subject: SCSI controllers
Date:  9-NOV-02:38: Current Discussions

Steve -- I am moving right along on my SCSI project, thanks for your
help. BUT -- Do you know if there is any significant difference I
should be aware of between the OMTI 3127 and the newer 3527? I tend to
agree with your earlier comments about the Adaptec 4070 compared to
the 3127. My current project is to replace a 4070 with a 3527 (the
drive is a Priam v185). If I ever track down someone to get some
cabling and a power supply, I'll give the CP340 I have a bit of a go
too! (My workshop is back in Australia!) Thanks -- Harry

------------------------------

From: INET60 (994)
Subject: HD20SC Icon
Date:  9-NOV-15:42: Developers' Corner

Where the hell is the Icon for the HardDisk, ( in the ROM ? )

Dhiren Fonseca.

------------------------------

From: DSACHS (995)
Subject: RE: HD20SC Icon (Re: Msg 994)
Date:  9-NOV-18:38: Developers' Corner

You will probably find the Apple HD20 icon as a resource in the System file.
Icons for other hard disks may vary in location.  The Finder isssues a function
to each disk driver to determine the icon to display.  Most SCSI disks have
their icons as part of the driver code.

------------------------------

From: INET60 (997)
Subject: RE: HD20SC Icon (Re: Msg 995)
Date:  10-NOV 00:16 Developers' Corner

So, do think that the ICON is in the Driver installer ?, It is not in the ICON,
ICN# Res in the system file!

998  10-NOV 00:25 Programming Techniques
------------------------------

ple:
     From (     crashing)
Subject:  the cache

    Are you tired of having to turn your disk cache off to run Megaroids and
other programs that require the second video/sound page? Are you crashing out
because you often forget to turn the cache off before you run these programs?

    If you answered yes to any of the above questions, then you should know that
since the cache code resides in INIT 35, you can go in and lower BufPtr below
the secondary buffers by using the INIT 31 mechanism.  Sure it ties up a little
memory but that's what memory's for, right?  And its only a few lines of
assembler.

Paul :)

End of Delphi Mac Digest

-------