[mod.mac] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #10

INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (Moderator David Gelphman...) (11/13/86)

INFO-MAC Digest         Wednesday, 12 Nov 1986     Volume 5 : Issue 10

Today's Topics:
                    SANE and MPW and MacApp question
                      Booting SCSI & HD20 Hard disk
           Re: Excel Macro to calculate weekdays between dates
                              TextDiff 0.9
                               Grep-Wc 1.1
                            Two ripple demos
                         revision of UW postings
                           Re: WORD templates
                            more on TeXtures
                    Attaching a VMS Vax to Apletalk.
         Can you use an 800k external drive with a regular mac?
                              Color Plotter
                       MacWrite to Imagen filter?
                         MacDraw --> QMS program
                                  Disks
                              8085 Emulator
                  Re:  Laserwriters and Mailing labels
                         RE:IMAGEWRITER II SHIMS
                               speedreader

Subject: SANE and MPW and MacApp question
Date: Wed, 12 Nov 86 16:35:08 -0800
From: duggie@portia.stanford.edu

I'm writing some routines to manipulate matrices using SANE and MacApp.
For a few days now I've been unsuccessfully trying to track down the
cause of sporadic errors which I think may be due to handles moving
underneath pointers I use to access the data in the matrices.  I haven't
used SANE much before and so am wondering if for some odd reason SANE
(or MacApp, as I am using MacApp to implement a matrix object) causes
memory compaction.  How about writeln's to the debug window MacApp
provides, do these use ToolBox routines that compact the heap?  How about
object messaging?  My original guess was that writeln's did but nothing else
did, at least on a Mac+.  Now I am not so sure.

This is running on a Mac+, and errors occur more frequently if I run under
Switcher with very tight memory (5K over minimum suggested, minimum doesn't
work).  MPW and MacApp are version 1.0b1.  Because of the sporadic nature
of the errors they are very difficult and time-consuming to trace through.
Any suggestions?

-- doug

------------------------------

Date: Sun,  09 Nov 86 22:37:51 +0300
From: <CLAK100%BGUNOS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Booting SCSI & HD20 Hard disk

I am using two hard disks with my Mac Plus , one is the Apple HD 20 and the
other is Rodime S20+ a SCSI hard disk. Whenever I boot,
the default boot volume is of course the HD20 that is connected to the
floppy port. Is there any way to make the disk connected to the SCSI
port, be the default volume ?
Any suggestion , or am I too optimistic ?

You must hear this one :
A friend who got her Mac  just few hours ago ,came over for some good
advice, After some time of watching me perform miracles with the mac she
said:

" How come we have different mice,
 mine has a ball and a ring with 0 and L on top" ?

Rafi Brunner    CLAK100@BGUNOS.BITNET , rafibrunner at BIX

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 86 11:45:44 EST
From: Mark Nodine <mnodine@labs-b.bbn.com>
Subject: Re: Excel Macro to calculate weekdays between dates

To calculate the number of weekdays between two dates, you will probably want
to set aside a couple of cells in your spreadsheet.  It is calculated as
follows:

	Weeks = INT((date2 - date1)/7)
	DoW1 = MAX(MOD(date1 - 1,7),2)
	DoW2 = MIN(MOD(date2 - 3),7),4)+2
	DoWDiff = IF(DoW1 < DoW2, DoW2 - DoW1, 5 - (DoW1 - DoW2))
	WeekDays = 5 * Weeks + DoWDiff

A couple of comments are in order.  Weeks is simply the number of full weeks
between the two dates.  There will be 5 weekdays in each of these weeks.
The Day of Week numbers are calculated on the scale
	0 = Saturday
	1 = Sunday
	2 = Monday
	6 = Friday
so the calculation for DoW1 pushes the day up to Monday if it falls on a
weekend.  Likewise the DoW2 pushes it down to a Friday for weekend days.  At
this point you have two days of the week between Monday and Friday.  If they
are in the same week (DoW1 < DoW2) you compute the difference.  If they are
in adjacent weeks, you compute the complement of the difference.  These
formulae need to be modified slightly if you want the calculation to include
the final day (the version above excludes it).

	--Mark

------------------------------

Date: 11 Nov 86 23:03:16 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: TextDiff 0.9

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: TEXT FILE DIFFERENCE 0.9
Date: 11-NOV-1986 19:53 by PEABO

[ Updated 11-NOV-1986 19:53 by PEABO to version 0.9.  This version is
MUCH faster.]

This is TextDiff 0.5 (beta test), a program that compares text files
and spits out a list of differences.  It is intended mainly for
programmers as an aid to tracking revisions in program source code
(either code from the Apple Software Supplements, or your own when you
forget exactly what you changed during a marathon editing session),
but may be useful in other applications as well.  This program is a
port of one I wrote for MS-DOS a few years ago (1983) before I had a
Macintosh :-) Any bug reports, suggestions, comments should be sent to
me.  The program is free and you can post it anywhere or give a copy
to anyone.

peter

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-TEXTDIFF-09.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 86 09:55:04 CST
From: Antineophilus <dubois@unix.macc.wisc.edu>
Subject: Grep-Wc 1.1

Here's an updated version of Grep-Wc (public domain).  It can replace the
one currently in the archives (<INFO-MAC>DA-GREP.HQX.4), since that one's
the previous version.  Following is a packit file containing a MacWrite
document and a Font/DA Mover file.  Some brief highlights:

- Now reads MacWrite 2.2 or 4.5.  Old version only read 4.5.
- Can be reselected from Apple menu when already open to bring window
to front.  Old version sometimes crashed or became brain-damaged when
this was done.
- Can ignore lettercase in searches.

Yours,
Paul DuBois

TransSkel 1.02, TransDisplay 1.0 and TransEdit 1.0 will be coming sometime
later this week.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-GREP-11.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 86 08:21 PST
From: PUGH%CCX.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: Two ripple demos

These small demos came from the Levco people when they showed us
the Prodigy 4 with The Big Picture.  They are very pretty ripple
effects.  If you intend to run them, I recommend starting them up
and then leaving for ten minutes or so.  They have a longer
preprocessing time than Vanlandingham.  They also have no way of
quitting, so it is a good idea to have either a debugger or
crashsaver installed (I opt for the Mac+ ROM debugger myself) so
that you can exit somewhat gracefully.

Ripple 1 is the faster of the two.  It shows a checkerboard sheet
undulating in the breeze.  Ripple 2 is a more complex example
that is a series of hexagonal posts that rise and fall in waves.
They are very similar and very pretty if you can manage to wait
long enough or them to start.

They should provide literally seconds of entertainment.

Jon

P.S. Oh dopey moi.
I just remembered that these two demos have an escape mechanism.
Just type a Q (not a q) and they will exit.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DEMO-RIPPLE.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Sun 9 Nov 86 17:56:33-PST
From: David Gelphman... <INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA>
Subject: revision of UW postings

   Werner brought to my attention the fact that the posting in the info-mac
archives of the UW terminal program was done in a most fashion which makes
ftping the file put a load on the network. To avoid this I have reposted
and renamed the different uw postings so that they may be FTPed in a
more efficient fashion.

The postings:
 UNIX-UW-21.SHAR.1   13-Nov-85   <- version appropriate for 128k Macs
 UNIX-UW-34-HQX       9-Nov-86   <- UW for Mac  version 3.4
 UNIX-UW-34-DOC.HQX   9-Nov-86   <- docs for Mac version 3.4
 UNIX-UW-34.PART1     9-Nov-86   <- part 1 of Unix source
 UNIX-UW-34.PART2     9-Nov-86   <- part 2 of Unix source
 UNIX-UW-34.PART3     9-Nov-86   <- part 3 of Unix source
 UNIX-UW-34.PART4     9-Nov-86   <- part 4 of Unix source
 UNIX-UW-34.PART5     9-Nov-86   <- part 5 of Unix source
 UNIX-UW-34.PART6     9-Nov-86   <- part 6 of Unix source
 UNIX-UW-34.PART7     9-Nov-86   <- part 7 of Unix source
 UNIX-UW-34.PART8     9-Nov-86   <- part 8 of Unix source
 UNIX-UW-34.PART9     9-Nov-86   <- part 9 of Unix source

I hope this clears up any confusion about this program and the way
it is archived. I have removed the full .SHAR file of version 3.4 since
it was over 500k. Unfortunately convenience is sacrificed for the good
of the arpanet.
  For those unfamiliar with UW, I am reposting part of John Bruners message
about it below.   David

From John Bruner's note upon posting:

UW is a multiple-window interface to UNIX (4.[23]BSD) for the
Macintosh.  A program on the Mac interacts with a server process
on the host to provide up to seven independent terminal sessions.
Each terminal session is conducted in its own window.  The windows
are independent, and can emulate an ADM-31, VT-52, a (subset of an)
ANSI terminal, or Tektronix 4010.

UW version 3.4 has a greater capacity for host-Mac interaction than
the previous version (v2.10).  If the host understands window resizing
(4.3BSD and Sun UNIX do), then window size changes on the Mac can
optionally be passed through to the host.  The cursor-addressible
terminal emulations are faster, although the Tektronix emulation is
slower.

UW v3.4 will not run on a 128K Macintosh.  You should allow for at
least 256K, although in extreme cases even that may not be enough.
(I have not extensively tested it under Switcher.)  It will run with
the old ROMs or the new ROMs.  I have no idea if it will work with
third-party large screens (e.g. Radius).

There is a new server for UW v3.4, although the old server will work
with the new Macintosh program and the new server will work with the
old Macintosh program.  (To take advantage of most of the new
features, both ends must be running the new software.)  There are a
few utility programs ("uwtool" and "uwterm" create windows in
somewhat different ways, and "uwtitle" retitles existing windows).
There is also a UW library which can be used to build other utilities.
(The capabilities of this library are not fully utilized in this
release; consequently, it hasn't been tested as thoroughly as I would
have liked.  Some of the future enhancements will draw more heavily
upon the library.)
-------12-Nov-86 08:06:17-PST,2487;000000000001

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 86 16:34:58 +0100
From: Richard Carels <mcvax!uva!carels@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Subject: Re: WORD templates

In some issue of mod.mac (I don't remember which one) Andre Lehre
writes :

>If you are using LOCKED Word templates for your documents, be aware that if
>you open the document from inside word (choosing "Open" from the File menu)
>you WILL NOT get a message indicating that the item is locked and cannot be
>changed.  With the 128 ROMs you can type merrily away, SAVE the document (no
>message appears to indicate you can't) and close.  Your document--and all
>your effort-- will have vanished!  The template is unchanged.

The moderator answered 'Unbelievable', and I thought the same. So I tried it
out, and indeed, MS-WORD does not warn you.
But : your work is not lost ! I found it in a file Word Rescue, in the
same folder the locked template was in.

Of course I agree with Andre when he says it would be nice if Microsoft
would modify WORD so that it always gives this message. Perhaps WORD 3.0 ??

P.S. I have MS-WORD 1.05, system 3.2 and finder 5.3

--
			Richard Carels
			Department of Computer Science, UvA

Usenet:			carels@uva.uucp
			{seismo,decvax,philabs}!mcvax!uva!carels

*             There's no dark side of the moon, really.                     *
*             As a matter of fact it's all dark.                            *

------------------------------

Date: 10 Nov 86 22:05:00 EST
From: <bouldin@ceee-sed.ARPA>
Subject: more on TeXtures

Since there is clearly interest in this SIG, here is more TeXture feedback:

TeXtures and a working subset of the fonts can be fit on a single 800k disk,
with nearly 100k left over for text.  Time for floppy processing is about 1-1/4
minutes per page for straight text with a few trivial equations.

So, TeXtures will run on 512E with even one floppy, but I strongly suggest that
a Mac+ is the minimum system for anything serious. A Mac+ and 2 800K floppies
would allow pretty serious TeXing without to much frustration.

Input that ran at 10 secs/page on a Mac+ and 20 meg disc (Macbottom) ran at
more like ONE MINUTE/page on a 512E with the same Macbottom, and the disc
seemed to be running almost continuously. Moral: you need 1 meg at least for
this thing to perform well. I will test shortly with a Levco monstermac to
see how much that helps.

TeX doesn't look for it's fonts in the system file. Don't waste your time
installing them there.

When Tex puts up a dialogue box about being out of memory you usually just
get a system bomb after you say that it's "okay". Why put up the dialogue
box if it is just followed by a crash almost always?? Yah, I know, it's
_pre-release_. Needs fixing.

Also, on a 512E it is possible to open a file that was Texed on a Mac+ and
immediately get the 'out of memory' dialogue and a bomb! So, don't switch
back and forth between a 512 and a +.

The DVI file is written in the resource fork of the SAME file as the tex input.
This is convenient since it keeps them together, but:
I don't normally keep dvi files around at all.
It makes file transfer up to the vax for laser printing a hassle. I cant' just
upload the dvi file and print, I have to upload the .tex input file, retex on
the vax and then print. What a waste! A lot of the point of having tex on the
mac is to offload texing from the vax.
Also, there is some strange header on the dvi stuff in the resource fork.
Even when it is stripped out and uploaded to the vax, the tex printer utility
chokes on it. They desparately need to fix this.

Especially since the imagewriter is, in my opinion, worthless for ouput other
than very rough draft proofing. You must have a laserwriter or access to a
talaris, qms, or other laserprinter to get decent ouput.

When mac-graphics are embedded this is done by including postscript. You can
still preview, but I can't upload to vax and print it out any more, as our
qms printer speaks quic, not postscript. Sigh.

The upshot is still that this is a very usuable implementation of TeX on a
micro. I am just starting a new, fairly lengthy manuscript from scratch with
TeXtures. I will report how it goes.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 10 Nov 86 23:20:04 aest
From: munnari!rpepping.oz!RAY@seismo.CSS.GOV
Subject: Attaching a VMS Vax to Apletalk.

To: info-mac%phobos.caltech.edu@deimos.caltech.edu
From: Raymond Haynes (ray@rpepping.oz)

I have a problem related to POSTSCRIPT/ laser writer (+'s)/ and
VAX 11/750's that someone must have by now discovered.

The problem can be summarized as follows:
1.  We appletalk running with 10 Mac Pluses & 2 Laserprinter Pluses.

2.  Thus outputting all Mac configured printer output on the
Laserprinters (in postscript ) form to the 9 DIN plug on the
Laserprinters works fine.

3.  However we would like to also output VAX generated POSTSCRIPT to
those printers.  Up to now we can do that using the 25 Pin RS232
port on the back of the laser printer.   The process of course involves
disconnecting appletalk and power-cycling the Laserprinter.   We have a
spooled queue from the VAX to the 25 pinner to do this.

However::

We would like to attach the VAX also to apple talk.  Unfortunately (or
perhaps fortunately) we are running VMS 4.3 on the VAX system.  Thus I
cannot use the software around running under UNIX that lets the VAX talk
to the MAC with say ATPRINT.

4.  No to be put off we recently purchases LASERGATE, a simple but
effective spooler that lets a small Mac act as a handshake device
between the VAX and Apple talk.   This package works fine on the MAC and
we can correctly pass a MAC generated POSTSCRIPT file up into the VAX
and then out again through the Dedicated MAC (and LaserGate).

5. My problem arises when we generate POSTSCRIPT with the VAX form of
TEX or a package called Laytek (I think that is the spelling) and pass
this onto Appletalk and thence to the laser printers.  This method of
generating Postscript results in an error (using either LASERGATE or
ATPRINT on the dedicated MAC) back from the LaserPrinter of the form:

         Postscript error;  DICT ERROR,  Dictionary fullfull.

I assume that the problem is that when one powercycles the Laser
printer
one must create more free memory in the Laserprinter to hold more font
definition stuff etc. so Tex runs ok.  When the Appletalk system is
running and one tries to take the Vax files onto Appletalk and then to
the printer more of the memory in the laser printer is used up so the
definition file information downloaded from the VAX cannot all fit.

CAN SOME GOOD PERSON OUT THERE SUGGEST HOW I CAN OVERCOME THIS PROBLEM
PLEASE.  ie. WHAT SHOULD ONE DO IN THE POSTSCRIPT FILE FROM THE VAX TO
SET THE LASER PRINTER IN THE SAME STATE AS WHEN WE USE THE DEVICE
THROUGH THE RS232 PORT HAVING POWER CYCLED THE LASERPRINTER.

Thanks for any help you can give.

Raymond Haynes, CSIRO Division of Radiophysics,
Mail: P.O. Box 76, Epping, NSW, 2121, Australia
ACSNET:  ray@rpepping.oz
Internet: ray%rpepping.oz@Seismo.CSS.GOV
UUCP: {seismo,hplabs,mcvax,ukc,nttlab}!munnari!rpepping.oz!ray
Telephone: Aust.(02) 868 0222
Telex:     AA26230 ASTRO

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 86 07:33:29 PST
From: <KNIGHT@maine.bitnet>
Subject: Can you use an 800k external drive with a regular mac?

From:    KNIGHT@MAINE (Michael Knight)
To:      INFO-MAC@SUMEX-AIM.STANFORD.EDU
Date:    Tue, 11 Nov 86 16:47:22 EST

I seem to remember that it was possible to use an 800k external drive
with regular (old rom) mac, but that you had to boot first from the
internal drive with an hfs compatible system. Does anyone remember the
specifics? I've tried it using finder 5.3 and system 3.2 to no avail.

Thanks.

[ note from moderator: in order to use an 800K external drive you need to
boot off a disk with the current system and finder AND the file HARD DISK 20.
This file should be widely available from Apple Dealers. It will allow you
to run HFS from RAM (only needed if you don't have the 128K ROM) and it
installs the drivers necessary for 800K external floppy disk use. DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 86 15:48:00 est
From: jonathan@mitre-gateway.arpa (Jonathan Leblang)
Subject: Color Plotter

We have just successfully hooked an Apple Color Plotter up to a macintosh, and
are able to send it commands using a terminal program.  However, we don't
know of any software that supports the plotter.  Does anyone out there know
of any software that supports plotters (specifically the Apple Color Plotter)
PD or shareware is preferred, but names of commercial packages would also
be appreciated.
Thanks,
Jonathan Leblang

ARPA: jonathan@bert.mitre.org

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 86 10:54:01 pst
From: mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc (Michael Khaw)
Subject: MacWrite to Imagen filter?

This has probably been asked before, but is there a Unix program out in
netland that converts MacWrite (4.5) files to a form suitable for Imagen
laser printers?

Please reply by e-mail, as we do not receive net news.

Thanks,
Mike Khaw	mkhaw@teknowledge-vaxc.arpa

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 86 12:06 CDT
From: <MAX%TAMLSR.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: MacDraw --> QMS program

Is there a program out there somewhere that will take MacDraw documents
(or PICTs) and convert them to the QIC format of QMS Lasergrafix printers?

Preferably for the Mac,  but -any- version that has source attached would
be appreciated!!!  (we have VAXen and UNIX machines around, too)

We're going to need one of those Real Soon Now, and I'm too busy to write
one. (actually, probably too lazy  (-: )

Thanks

Greg Marriott
Thermodynamics Research Center
Texas A\&M University
College Station, TX 77834-3111
BITnet: max@tamlsr

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 86 15:52:40 EST
From: LI700016%BROWNVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Disks

(Have not tried posting yet from BITNET, so here's hoping...)

Does anyone know of a source for a 5 1/4 inch floppy drive to plug into
my Mac+?  I'm doing a lot of PC->Mac porting these days, and being able
to read PC disks would make life much easier.  I'm actually rather
suprised not to have seen ads for such an item... (By the way, I can't
afford MacCharlie just for the drive)....  Thanks!
Steven J. DeRose, LI700016 at Brownvm via Bitnet
Dept. of Linguistics, Brown Univ.

[ note from moderator: I've heard that someone is offering a drive for
the Mac that does just what you want...I think it is Abaton and I believe
they advertise in MacWorld or MacUser. DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: 12 Nov 86 08:30 EST
From: CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: 8085 Emulator

I have available for the asking a demo version of an
an 8085 emulator that was written at Notre Dame
and ported from our PR1ME computer to the Macintosh by a student here.

This is a limited version of the program, allowing only 16 bytes of
data/program to be entered, but it is enough to see that the emulator
works well.  Information about ordering the full emulator is available
in the help box.  An interesting 15 byte (!) sample program is
included for testing purposes.

Notre Dame also has TI9900,8086 and 68000 emulators for our PR1ME
computer that may also be ported in the future if there is interest.

To get a copy of the emulator, simply send me a message to that
effect, and I'll ship it off.  Due to the large size, and rather
limited audience, it doesn't make sense to post this at SUMEX.

                                   - Tom Dowdy
"I'm increasingly convinced that a vast majority of wrong thinking
 people are right."

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 12 Nov 86 11:20:25 EST
From: Thomas Coradeschi  (FSA-E)  <tcora@ARDEC>
Subject: Re:  Laserwriters and Mailing labels

Maybe I'm just a wimp, but the idea of putting those sticky little disk or
mailing labels in my laserwriter gives me the creeps! My recommendation to
anyone interested in printing these items is to stick with your imagewriterI
(not II, they jam in a very messy fashion). It may not be as classy looking,
but it will probably be a lot cheaper in the long run.

Regards,
tom c

------------------------------

Date: THU, 6 NOV 1986 11:55 CST
From: PHYS300%UNLCDC3.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: RE:IMAGEWRITER II SHIMS

DATE: November 6, 1986
TO: INFO-MAC
FROM: Glenn Sowell

SINCE SOMEONE ASKED, I CALLED MY LOCAL DEALER ABOUT THE SHIM KIT FOR THE
IMAGEWRITER II.  THE APPLE PART NUMBER IS #955-0005 AND IT IS CALLED SIMPLY
SHIM, IMAGEWRITER II.  THE COST IS $1.  THE DEALER SAID THAT THE DELIVERY TIME
IS ABOUT A MONTH; THE SOUNDS LIKE A LONG TIME, BUT CONSIDERING HOW LONG SOME
OF US HAD TO WAIT FOR MAC+ UPGRADES, THIS IS FAST TURNAROUND. :->

Cheers,
   Glenn
      PHYS300@UNLCDC3.BITNET\12-Nov-86 16:45:44-PST,424;000000000001

Date: 12 Nov 86 19:34:03 EST
From: Esfandiar.Bandari@cive.ri.cmu.edu
Subject: speedreader

Is there a software for the Mac that teaches speed reading.  I appreciate it
if you send me mail at bandari@cive to let me know.  Thanks.

					--- Esfandiar

End of INFO-MAC Digest