[mod.mac] Delphi Mac Digest V2 #59

SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (Jeffrey Shulman) (11/15/86)

Delphi Mac Digest          Saturday, 15 November 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 59

Today's Topics:
     RE: SCSI controllers (Re: Msg 993)
     RE: SCSI controllers (Re: Msg 1000)
     RE: SCSI controllers (Re: Msg 1000)
     RE: SCSI controllers (Re: Msg 1006)
     RE: SCSI controllers (Re: Msg 1007)
     RE: HD20SC Icon (Re: Msg 997)
     Network Hard Disks & Backups
     RE: Network Hard Disks & Backups (Re: Msg 14733)
     RE: Network Hard Disks & Backups (Re: Msg 14733)
     DiskTimerII results
     RE: DiskTimerII results (Re: Msg 14742)
     OMNI-READER fit to Mac+?
     RE: OMNI-READER fit to Mac+? (Re: Msg 14747)
     RE: OMNI-READER fit to Mac+? (Re: Msg 14749)
     RE: 1 Mbit RAM chips are here for the Ma (Re: Msg 14706)
     RE: 1 Mbit RAM chips are here for the Ma (Re: Msg 14748)
     Suspicious or innocent?
     MS Basic 3.0
     RE: Mac-IBM PC Laser Printers
     RF emissions
     RE: laserwriter fonts, hints, and toys
     RE: laserwriter fonts, hints, and toys
     RE: laserwriter fonts, hints, and toys
     RE: laserwriter fonts, hints, and toys
     RE: laserwriter fonts, hints, and toys
     RE: RF Interference with Hard disks
     RE: Re: LightspeedC 1.5
     RE: Booting SCSI & HD20 Hard disk
     PENMOUSE+
     human touch "One Touch" board (alternati
     InfoWorld Again
     Font/DA Mover bug

From: BRECHER (1000)
Subject: RE: SCSI controllers (Re: Msg 993)
Date: 11-NOV 03:57 Current Discussions

The 3527 has a richer command set, compatible with CCS (Common Command Set),
which is a standard set of commands (with a few extensions to the SCSI draft)
for disk devices, proposed for formal standardization by a committee of disk
industry people (led by SMS).  I advised Micah against the 3527 because of the
technical risk inherent in its newness, but for an adventurer like yourself...
BTW, the CP340 uses CCS.

------------------------------

From: HSTARR (1006)
Subject: RE: SCSI controllers (Re: Msg 1000)
Date: 12-NOV 02:58 Current Discussions

Steve, I hope your comments about the 3527 don't mean you actually
uncovered some problem, did you?? I am a little cloudy about the way
the CP340 handles bad blocks. I was talking to Conner the other day,
and the guy mentioned that the next release of the firmware (about end
of Nov) will actually allow you to dynamically replace bad blocks. I
gather that this means that at the moment, the disk is certified
during the format command (or pseudo format - the CP340 uses imbedded
servo), and that if any blocks go bad during use, that's tough! My
next step is to install the CP340 into the Prodigy. A little metal
bashing is required though, and that always deters me.

On a completely different vein, what do you know about the Quantum Q280 drive??
Or the CDC Wren III??? Hardware is such fun, isn't it?

Regards -- Harry

------------------------------

From: HSTARR (1007)
Date: 12-NOV 03:22 Current Discussions

Steve, could you give me a source for DETAILED specs (Operation,
register layouts etc) for the NCR 5380 SCSI chip as used in Mac??
Would I have to contact NCR itself? Thanks -- Harry

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (1008)
Subject: RE: SCSI controllers (Re: Msg 1006)
Date: 13-NOV 09:19 Current Discussions

No, I didn't uncover any problems with the 3527 -- I never used it.  I just
meant that it's new firmware, some features not yet implemented, little field
experience -- not the kind of thing I could recommend for a high-volume product
just now.

What I know about the Q280 and Wren is contained in the following paragraph.

(End of message.)

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (1009)
Subject: RE: SCSI controllers (Re: Msg 1007)
Date: 13-NOV 09:19 Current Discussions

"NCR 5380 SCSI Interface Chip Design Manual."  NCR -- (800) 525-2252.

In the Mac Plus, the NCR base address is $580000.  Bits 4,5,6 of the address
select the NCR register; bit 0 set for a write register, clear for a read
register. Bit 9 set to assert DACK, clear to assert CS.

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD (1001)
Subject: RE: HD20SC Icon (Re: Msg 997)
Date: 11-NOV 06:31 Developers' Corner

I seem to remember (don't have it right in front of me right now) that
Tech Note #28 (I do have the index) entitled "Finders and Foreign
Drives" gives an explanation of how an external File System sends its
icon to the Finder.

Inside Macintosh Volume IV (File Manager chapter) notes that "due to the
complexity of writing an external file system under HFS", you can send off to
Macintosh Technical Support for a document telling you how to do it.  I don't
have that piece, either; related information may be in there.

Laird

------------------------------

From: BWD (14733)
Subject: Network Hard Disks & Backups
Date: 11-NOV 00:58 Business Mac

     As office networks for Lasers become more commonplace, more people will
want to put hard disks on-line for sharing and backup purposes.

     My office is planning precisely that.  I would like to generate some
comment on this and other related issues.  I expect that there are some pretty
strong opinions on the topic especially from those who have been there!

Background:
     Our department has about 30 people on one Appletalk network with
3 Lasers.  We would prefer not to break it down as we would like to
use InBox for messaging to all 30 people.

     Does anybody have any comments on the following points, either
individually or as a whole.

     1)  Disks - We want to have shared hard disks on which to store data files
and  use programs (is it legal to use programs on a network?).  The disks (SCSI
preferably) must be useable considering the points mentioned below.

     2)  Backup - Backup is extremely important but it must also be easy and if
at all possible, automatic (am I dreaming?).  In order to give ease, I think we
have to consider floppies out.  The backup scheme should allow selection by
date, changes, file, folder, and whole disk.  It should not use an image-based
scheme considering the recovery problems this can cause.  Can an occassional
user be used to do the backups given some basic instruction as to the purpose
and improtance.

     3)  Using MacServe to copy disk partitions seems slow.  Does anybody have
experience with a better server?  How can you back up a server AND its
partitions?  Have others tried TOPS and some of the other Servers.

     4)  Currently there is no network degradation since the only traffic is
Laser oriented.  What is the price that has to be paid to get the above
installed?

     5)  How to organize the backup generations in a cost effective manner.

     One idea I have had is to find a tape unit to plug into the disk
drive port and could be used to backup a SCSI or an HD20 at fairly
quick rates.  The unit would be portable meaning it could be taken to
different machines to avoid the network degradation problem.  Has
anybody seen my dream device?

     I hope others will benefit from this discussion.  I definitely feel that
the topic will become even more pressing in the next 6-8 months.

     Comments?????
     Brian

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14745)
Subject: RE: Network Hard Disks & Backups (Re: Msg 14733)
Date: 11-NOV 09:33 Business Mac

Brian,

For the amount of backup you're talking about, I'd consider a Bernoulli Box.
It's both faster and more reliable than tape.

For hard disks that are going to be shared extensively, I'd consider getting
one of the 30 or 40MB units which usually have higher speed than the 20's.
We'll be looking at the DataFrame 40 XP shortly.  I think Mirror has one, too,
and Micah is supposed to be coming out with something (Steve?) in a larger
capacity.  I'm sure there are others.

As far as setting the network up, I'd recommend the following: you can
put lots of programs and documents on a networked hard disk (I like
TOPS for the network software), but don't _run_ them across the
network - just copy down the program and data you need to the Mac
you're using, and run from a RAM disk, external RAM disk, floppy or
local hard disk.  Sharing System/Finder and printer files is likely to
cause a lot of problems, and so is sharing applications.  I think
AppleTalk with TOPS is a wonderful file-transfer medium, but not a
good way of multiprocessing.

By the way, one of the good things about the Bernoulli box is the excellent
backup software written by Dantz Software (LARRYZ on Delphi).  They are
working on a more general purpose program that I'm really looking forward
to.

Hope this is helpful.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: WESTEN (14796)
Date: 13-NOV 03:20 Business Mac

David (?),
   This is in reply to your large network questions.  First,
presumably you are not running 30 Macs plus 3 LaserWriters since I
don't believe more than 32 devices can be on the network... For the
rest of your questions I'll respond not in the order you asked. (1)
Your choices for Backup are Tape Backup, floppy disk, a spare drive,
or, as Rich mentioned, a Bornoulli Box.  The only tape units I've
evaluated are from the Mirror Drive guys, and basically it doesn't
work.  The software is lousy, and I never did get it to actually
backup a drive.  There are no good (in my opinion!) tape units
available right now.  They al, to my knowledge, either give you a
quick "image" backup of your device but then require an image restore
(what if you backed up 40 Megs, then trashed 1 file a week
later...want to restore the whole drive and loose 1 weeks worth of
data?), or else do allow a file by file restore, but also do a file by
file backup (requiring lots of time to do the backups).  Regarding the
Bernoulli Box, a local store reports to me that they have had a lot of
trouble with their customers copying the old backup to the disk they
are trying to backup, or destroying both copies in the process (sorry
I don't use one so I don't know how this can be done by the normally
intelligent user!).  The problem is severe enough that they have taken
to keeping copies of the customer data once a month....(really!).
Also, the BBox is extremely loud and the media wears out in about a
year of use I'm told- so you should be sure to keep your backups up to
date.  DataFrame, HyperDrive, MaBottom, and (I believe) Micah all come
with backup software, and both HyperDrive and DataFrame are working on
tape backup units for future release.  The backup software for the
DataFrame is less than perfectly reliable at this stage I would say,
but I also encountered a few bugs with my FX/20 backups at one time.
MacBottom backup software seems not to cause any problems. (2)
Regarding MacServe and TOPS.  First price.  TOPS sells locally for
about $110 per Macintosh (list is $ 19) and MacServe ranges from 2$205
to $250.  I would not recommend you buy MacServe without support (ie,
don't go Mailorder even if you can find it that way).  There is not a
chance though that you can run ~30 users on AppleTalk without severe
problems.  My experience is with about 25-30 copies (users) of
MacServe and ~40 copies of TOPS.  TOPS is definitely slower than
MacServe (MacWorld's comparison notwithstanding) and is less solid-
more prone to crashes and lockups.  On the other hand, MacServe when
it does hang seems to do so mainly when printing and seems to
frustrate users more.  Which you choose depends on exactly what you
are trying to do, how many hard drives you are using, etc. (send me
mail if you'ld like to get more indepth thoughts). Basically, if you
expect "heavy" net traffic, don't expect to have more than 5 people
working before the slow downs get intollerable.  Rich's suggestion of
copying files only is clearly the only way you could hope to work it.

    Some other thoughts: I wouldn't rely on a hard drive for people to backup
their software to, since you would have to much valuable information from too
many users stuck there... what if your drive dies...  The best backup is each
user backing up his or her own work on personal floppies.  You are asking for
headaches any other way.

Chuck

------------------------------

From: BRECHER (14735)
Subject: DiskTimerII results
Date: 11-NOV 02:12 Hardware & Peripherals

These are reported results from the DiskTimerII program as of Nov. 10, 1986.
DiskTimerII measures performance on large (24KB) data transfers and on access
time (seeking, head movement).  The results are independent of the file system,
amount of free space, System and Finder versions, etc.  There is no direct
translation of these results to perceived performance in ordinary Mac usage.

 On HyperDrives, the seek test provides meaningful results only when run from a
drawer which is contiguous for more than 1MB.

 Multiple results from the same drive by the same submittor which vary by not
more than 5% have been combined into one report by taking the best result for
each of the three tests.  Where three or more reports from different submittors
on the same drive were available, I have omitted those having results on all
three tests which fell between the best and worst shown below for that drive.

 Additional reports are welcome.

                               --- time in deciseconds ---
                               100 24KB  100 24KB   80 1MB
 Model, Vendor  [Note]            Reads    Writes    Seeks   Reported by
 ---------------------         --------  --------   ------   ------------
 AST-2000, AST Research             192      192       48    Fred Fischer
 AST-2000, AST Research             192      192       48    David Rose
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [1]         147      147       74    Harry Conover
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [1]         146      146       69    Dan Clark/SuperMac
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [1]         194      194       80    Carlos Weber
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [2]          98       99       69    Dan Clark/SuperMac
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [2]          99       99       62    Harry Conover
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [2]          99       99       80    Harry Conover
 DataFrame 20, SuperMac [2]          99       98       59    SuperMac
 DataFrame XP20, SuperMac            52       55       38    SuperMac
 DataFrame XP40, SuperMac            52       51       18    Dan Clark/SuperMac
 DataFrame XP40, SuperMac [3]        52       70       18    Ira Rampil
 DynaMac portable Mac 40MB internal 165      163       33    Steve Bobker
 Easy Drive 20MB, DC Systems        192      206       37    Tom Hensley
 Hard Disk 20 (floppy port), Apple  872      996       61    Steve Bobker
 Hard Disk 20 (floppy port), Apple  848      969       60    Jean Hess
 HardMAC+20, CMC                    285      286       36    Joseph DiGangi
 HD20SC (SCSI), Apple               155      155       37    Brian Hall
 HD20SC (SCSI), Apple               157      157       39    P. Williams/Apple
 HyperDrive 10MB (Mac Plus), GCC    186      190      N/A    Rich Goldberg
 HyperDrive FX20 (SCSI), GCC        154      231       37    Brian Hall
 HyperDrive FX20 (SCSI), GCC        154      218       38    Philip Kinsler
 HyperDrive FX20 (SCSI), GCC        153      224       37    Michael Root
 LoDOWN 20, LoDOWN                  102      107       39    Bill Steinberg
 MacBottom 10 (serial port), PCPC   503      846       91    Rod Paine
 MacBottom 10 (serial port), PCPC   507      855       97    T. Scotta
 MacBottom HD21 (SCSI), PCPC        164      162       49    Rod Paine
 MacBottom HD21 (SCSI), PCPC        162      164       50    Bill Steinberg
 MacDrive 10MB, Tecmar              717      795       59    Chip Nicolais
 MacDrive 5MB removeable, Tecmar    750      784      104    Gene Madill
 MacMate 20, Relax                  192      197       37    M. Azarnoff
 MacSlimLine 20 fixed, Univation    172      211       38    Robert Yellen
     "       10 removeable  "       305      363      107       "     "
 Magic 20, Rabbit Industries        199      464       37    Larry Halff
 MicahDrive 20 AT, MICAH [1]         54       58       70    Fred Fischer
 MicahDrive 20 AT, MICAH [1]         55       63       68    Fred Fischer
 MicahDrive 20 AT, MICAH [1]         56       82       73    Fred Fischer
 MicahDrive 20 AT, MICAH [1]         57       72       74    Ted May
 MicahDrive 20 AT, MICAH [1]         55       78       79    David Rose
 MicahDrive 20 AT, MICAH [2,4]       55       58       30    Steve Brecher
 MicahDrive 20 AT, MICAH [2,4]       55       68       30    Steve Brecher
 Plus-30, Peak Systems              139      438       38    Joel West
 Warp 20 (in 512E), Warp Nine       443      443       42    Fred Fischer

 Notes:
   [1] Old version
   [2] Current version
   [3] Mean of three trials
   [4] Tester has a business connection with manufacturer

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14746)
Subject: RE: DiskTimerII results (Re: Msg 14742)
Date: 11-NOV 09:36 Hardware & Peripherals

Steve, can we conclude that the big win is 1:1 interleaving, shared by your
Micah and the DataFrame XP?  Or is there some other magic that makes the
difference??

Ric

------------------------------

From: UJL0013 (14747)
Subject: OMNI-READER fit to Mac+?
Date: 11-NOV 10:52 Hardware & Peripherals

I found OMNI-READER adv. in MacWorld October issue. Is this optical reader
workin on MacPlus well and connectable with MacPlus miniDin connector?

I want a optical reader for my mac, but i don't have any info of this. i'm
wondering to buy ....

Thanks for yource. - - Masaaki - -- -

------------------------------

From: PEABO (14749)
Subject: RE: OMNI-READER fit to Mac+? (Re: Msg 14747)
Date: 11-NOV 17:05 Hardware & Peripherals

The Omni Reader works with RS-232 connections and software for either
the Mac or the IBM PC.  You should be aware however, that it is
necessary to guide the optical reader head by hand, so this would not
be suitable for a high-volume application, and may not be cost
competitive with having your data input by a service bureau, either
though an optical reader or by rekeying the input.

peter

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER (14754)
Subject: RE: OMNI-READER fit to Mac+? (Re: Msg 14749)
Date: 11-NOV 19:46 Hardware & Peripherals

Also, you should note that the Omni Reader is only designed to read four (if
memory, rusty as it is, serves) typefaces, all of which I think are along
the lines of Courier on an IBM Selectric.  If your page is not in one of the
four typefaces, it won't read it.  In playing with one locally (hooked to an
IBM), it would read around 97% of a page accurately, if in one of the few
typefaces.  Of course, then you have to go through and find the 3% it misses,
which is often harder than just typing the page in.

In other words, there are several excellent reasons it is going so cheaply.

Alf

P.S.  Me, I'm waiting for the first C.O.M.B. ad for Cruzins (hehe).

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14748)
Subject: RE: 1 Mbit RAM chips are here for the Ma (Re: Msg 14706)
Date: 11-NOV 13:48 Hardware & Peripherals

Talked today with a more technical guy at Dove.  The 1Mbit upgrades are called
"2H" and "4H" - the "H" stands for "HyperDrive compatible."  It turns out that
the 2H kit contains 2 SIMM boards of 8x1Mbit, and that you have a choice of
running these with or without 2 of your original Mac 8x256Kbit boards.  If you
keep the Apple ones, you get a total of 2.5MB of RAM.

The guy didn't seem to be totally up on power supply issues, but he
claimed that their upgrades always use less power (and create less
heat) than the Mac Plus original configuration (excepting their budget
upgrade which uses 256Kbit chips).

The warranty is for 90 days.  The chips are from Toshiba mostly, and
from AT&T.  The guy claimed they were the 3rd largest purchaser of
1Mbit chips in the world, using them only for the Mac!!!

List prices were quoted as:

 cheapo 2MB upgrade with 256Kbit chips:  $399
 2H upgrade with 1Mbit chips: $999
 4H upgrade (1 Mbit chips, 4MB total): $1999

Finally, the Apple warranty is invalidated unless the upgrade is
installed by an Apple tech.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: NANOCHIP (14781)
Subject: RE: 1 Mbit RAM chips are here for the Ma (Re: Msg 14748)
Date: 12-NOV 22:31 Hardware & Peripherals

Your msgs jogged my memeory so I did some digging. At the Boston MacExpo
I had seriously looked into the Dove Memory upgrade...but funds were low...
I had visited the Vision Technologies booth  ( a mail order house) and got
good prices on the Dove Memory upgrade(s). dug up the address and
called them again yesterday. Their rep, David, was curteous and
knowledgeable and answered all my questions. They have a rebate policy on
the 1Mbit chip upgrades...$50 rebate if you return the 2ea 256K SIMMS
the 2H upgrade, and $100 rebate if you return the 4ea 256K SIMMS with the
4H upgrade!
BTW, the Dove 1Mbit @H or $H upgrades are MicahDrive AT compatable (forgot
to ask about the cheapo 2MB).
Current prices for Dove Memory Upgrades:

cheapo 2MB upgrade with 256Kbit chips:  $275 ($399 list)
 2H upgrade with 1Mbit chips:
           $795 net; $695 net with SIMMS rebate ($999 list)
 4H upgrade (1 Mbit chips, 4MB total):
           $1399 net; $1299 net wtih SIMMS rebate ($1999 list)

Vision Technologies Inc.
2200 Guadalupe St.
Austin TX. 78505

1-800-MAC-DISK

Havent had the opportunity to exchange any cash with them yet, so I can't
compare them to MacConnection etc. Had any dealings with them? They seem
to be on the ball.
<Chip

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (14763)
Subject: Suspicious or innocent?
Date: 11-NOV 23:10 Mousing Around

Anyone notice that Jasmine is at the same address MacWorld used to be?

------------------------------

From: HSTARR (14791)
Subject: MS Basic 3.0
Date: 13-NOV 02:30 Programming

Does any one know if MS Basic v3.0, and the accompanning MS Basic
Compiler are available yet?? or when they will be available?? Anyone
been beta testing or had words with someone who has??

------------------------------

From: PEABO (14792)
Subject: RE: Mac-IBM PC Laser Printers
Date: 13-NOV 03:02 Network Digests

>Date: Mon, 10 Nov 86 14:49 EDT
>From: JPB%SMVL%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET
>Subject: Mac-IBM PC Laser Printers

According to an ad on page 41 of the Nov-Dec issue of Publish! a company called
The Laser Connection, P.O. Box 850296, Mobile, AL 36685. 1-800-441-4040) claims
to be able to retrofit H-P LaserJet printers with a PostScript raster image
processor.  (For about $3000).  It doesn't say in the ad whether they know
what they're doing.  :-)   If it is a new purchase, I can't see why you would
not purchase an Apple LaserWriter, which by the way can be used by IBM PCs
running MicroSoft WORD.

------------------------------

From: WESTEN (14798)
Subject: RF emissions
Date: 13-NOV 03:52 Hardware & Peripherals

Someone on Info-Mac was complaining about noise emissions from hard
drives. I've had (until recently) a Mac+ and a DataFrame next to a
"homebuilt" Electron Energy Loss spectrometer that was sensitive to
~1mV noise and never had any pickup problems- and the electronics are
extremely sensitive!

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (14799)
Subject: RE: laserwriter fonts, hints, and toys
Date: 13-NOV 05:31 Network Digests

> From: chuq@Sun.COM (Chuq Von Rospach) > Subject: laserwriter fonts,
hints, and toys

AppleTalk plugs into the printer port.

Bitmapped art reproduces very well, especially when reduced to 50% or
25% (note: the LaserWriter driver handles the 96% reduction
automagically; if you use PageMaker, you've got to do it yourself, and
should reduce to 48% or 24%).  SuperPaint doesn't handle PostScript;
it can do the reduction for you on a bitmap-by-bitmap basis.
SuperPaint also has a LaserBits mode (or, if you will, kludge) that
does the 300dpi stuff for you. If you want to paint to the
LaserWriter, SuperPaint is a great program.  If you want to do
engineering drawings, it's the wrong program.

I believe PictureBase does handle MacDraw graphics.  I know for a fact
that Acta handles any graphics you can put in the clipboard, including
draw-type graphics from SuperPaint, MacDraw, and MacEqn.

Check out Fontographer for doing your own PostScript characters or logos.

If you're getting envelopes to go with your stationery, don't get real thin
ones, they seem not to work as well (also the ones I have tend to get melted
shut by the fusing element).

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14807)
Date: 13-NOV 09:35 Network Digests

While David's on the subject, I'll note that I've also had trouble
with the LaserWriter sealing envelopes I run thru it, and that nice
textured paper is the wrong stuff for a letterhead to be used in the
LaserWriter.  You need smooth paper.

Ric

------------------------------

From: PDNNOG (14825)
Date: 13-NOV 22:02 Network Digests

Have you had any problems with the heat sealing element, like too hot
or cold?  Again, my problem(minor) with a new laserwiter seems to come
when several pages are printed in a row, and I have isolated the
waviness in the paper to come from the last set of rollers which is
the sealing thingie.

------------------------------

From: HSTARR (14833)
Date: 14-NOV 02:26 Network Digests

My experience, in Australia, with the LW was that you had to be
careful of the 'clay' content of the paper you were using. One of my
favourite papers is 'IkonoFix Matte', a heavy clay based paper with a
beautiful matte finish, but the LW fusing elements will wave this
paper. However, it usually reverted in about 3 hours. In Australia,
the paper distributors sell a product called 'Reflex' copying paper --
it is computer controlled moisture content, long grain cut, and works
flawlessly in the LW (no distortion, no jams) so maybe you could track
down a similar paper here! -- Harry

------------------------------

From: PDNNOG (14838)
Date: 14-NOV 19:40 Network Digests

Thank you for your response. I have noticed that the paper I use now
is produced in West Germany and sold here in the states by inmac, and
is simply called laser paper..it is smoother and heavier than normal
20lb weight. It will be interesting to see if we can locate anything
similar to your Reflex copying paper! Phil.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (14800)
Subject: RE: RF Interference with Hard disks
Date: 13-NOV 05:31 Network Digests

 > From: PAUL%Acadia.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Paul Steele - Acadia
 > Subject: RF Interference with Hard disks

I'm listening to the radio right now while using my LoDOWN 20. No RFI, tho I
think the drive motor's a bit loud.

------------------------------

From: DDUNHAM (14801)
Subject: RE: Re: LightspeedC 1.5
Date: 13-NOV 05:31 Network Digests

 > From: baron@runx.OZ (Jason Haines)
 > Subject: Re: LightspeedC 1.5

I dunno about a library, but there's a ListMgr.h file.

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH (14814)
Subject: RE: Booting SCSI & HD20 Hard disk
Date: 13-NOV 17:07 Network Digests

To: <CLAK100%BGUNOS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Booting SCSI & HD20 Hard disk

If you remove the Finder from the HD20, the SCSI hard disk should start up
and be the default disk.  (Thanks to tips from Delphi members for this one)

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: ELEN (14836)
Subject: PENMOUSE+
Date: 14-NOV 16:32 Hardware & Peripherals

Has anyone had any experience with Kurta Corp's Penmouse+ graphics
tablet on a Mac or MacPlus? The price is good (even here in the UK)
and I'm interested
 - particularly appealing is the cordless stylus. I understand it
interfaces, however, with one of the serial ports, rather than into
the mouse socket, and is powered off the interface. Will this provide
probs with a Plus? It apparently is powered off the TX line in the
serial I/F.

Any comments would be useful... thanks

-Richard

------------------------------

From: SNUFI (14845)
Subject: human touch "One Touch" board (alternati
Date: 14-NOV 21:52 Hardware & Peripherals

Hi, I'm very interested in human touch's One Touch board, which I saw at
August's MacWorld Expo.  Added to my 512e Mac, it'd give a total of 2 Megabytes
of RAM, speed up the processor to 12 MHz, include a line filter and fan, and
carry the processor bus out to a connector out the back.  By now, I think they
must have a SCSI adapter for it.

My questions are: Does anyone have this upgrade?  How do you like it?  How good
a job did they do of making it work with existing software?

I liked the migration path to 68881 especially - they have a socket,
so you can add the device any time later on.  WIth Levco, you have to
buy the MonsterMac to get the 68881, n'est-ce pas?  (Sorry, I mean the
Prodigy 4, the $7000 one.)

So, basically, the Q is this: anyone use it, read review, compare it with other
upgrades?

Thanks!

Doug

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER (14846)
Subject: InfoWorld Again
Date: 14-NOV 22:18 Mousing Around

Fascinating quote in a recent InfoWorld article on spreadsheets.  According to
one defender of Lotus 1-2-3, "It's not really all that hard.  Why, we can take
people who don't know anything about computers, and in eight weeks they'll be
writing macros."

The sad thing is that he seems to have been quite serious.

Lofty

------------------------------

From: JEFFS (1011)
Subject: Font/DA Mover bug
Date: 14-NOV 23:55 Programming Techniques

There is a bug in the current Font/DA Mover (3.2) where ICON items in
DITL's are not renumbered.  If you have a dialog or alert that
includes ICON's, you'll have to SetDItem it yourself.

                                               Jeff

P.S. Other... 3.0 renumbers it just fine.  Good job Lofty!

End of Delphi Mac Digest

-------