[mod.mac] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #12

INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (Moderator David Gelphman...) (11/19/86)

INFO-MAC Digest          Tuesday, 18 Nov 1986      Volume 5 : Issue 12

Today's Topics:
                          correction to posting
             Apple Spokesperson's Response to Bug Complaints
            Re: Apple's response about Bugs in Apple Software
                            A modest proposal
                         TransSkel Announcement
                             Disk Verify 1.1
             Lofty Becker's wonderful printer control FKeys
                            New ROM SysAlert
                                Other 3.0
                             MW 4.5 Counter
                               Translator
                   Re: Probably Unrealistic DA Request
                          MacWrite default font
                        MacPlus Keyboard Run-away
                             Font questions
                            FullPaint gripes
                         Warp 9 30 MB hard disk
                           HD vs. Floppy: $/Kb
                       Re: MS Word Upgrade Pricing
                        Usenet Mac Digest V2 #94

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 86 05:08:07 PST
From: sdcsvax!sdcc6.UCSD.EDU!ix21@ucbvax.Berkeley.EDU (David Whiteman)
Subject: correction to posting

Moderator,
There was a posting in a recent digest that stated that MacWrite is not
compatible to Levco upgrade.  I think in fairness to Levco you should state
that this is referring to the Levco Prodigy upgrade which installs a
68020 and a 68881 and not their memory upgrade.  MacWrite uses the 68000
Trap instructions which makes it not compatible with the 68020.  This is
the fault of the authors of MacWrite, Encore Systems, and not the fault of
Levco.  In fact Levco even wrote a DA, which is free to Prodigy owners, which
corrects the problem with MacWrite.

Levco's other products that are simply memory upgrades have no problem with
MacWrite.  I have own a 2 meg memory upgrade from Levco and never had a problem
using MacWrite, nor a problem with any other software program.  At a San Diego
Macintosh Users Group meeting 4 months ago, over 180 members state they had
purchased a Levco upgrade and not one had any complaint of any type.  My only
connection with Levco is that I am a very satisfied customer.

[ note from moderator: my apologies to Levco for any misunderstanding of
my comments. The above author is correct that Macwrite had problems on
the Prodigy, not other Levco products. My remarks were intended only to
illustrate the current poor state of MacWrite and NOT to remark on
the Levco products. DAVEG]

------------------------------

Date: 18 Nov 86 08:44 EST
From: LEUE%nmr.tcpip@ge-crd.arpa
Subject: Apple Spokesperson's Response to Bug Complaints

I recently read an entry from George Deriso of Apple Computer in which he
responded to complaints about Apple's speed and forthrightness in fixing
reported bugs in their software products.

I must admit that his arguments were fairly persuasive.  When I think back
over my dealings with many other vendors, I believe that Apple does, in fact,
do a pretty good job in maintaining their software and that the overall
quality of Apple software is quite good.

However, there is still room for improvement.  One of the main problems
seems to be communications.  If you subscribe to several bulletin boards
as I do, you will see, for any given software product/bug, a nearly
endless reverberation of inquiries about the bug, possible workarounds,
confusion about revisions, etc.

Perhaps it would be worth Apple's time to publish a software newletter
in which all verified bugs/workarounds/patches could be posted.  Such a
newsletter could be "virtual", i.e., posted electronically, or actually
be printed.  This kind of newsletter does exist for other vendors'
software and is quite useful.  It would not, of course, contribute much
to the bugs getting fixed any faster, but it would establish common ground
for discussion and serve as an archive by which users and Apple itself
could measure progress.

-- Bill Leue
-- General Electric R&D, Schenectady, NY
-- ARPA: leue@ge-crd
-- UUCP: rochester!steinmetz!nmr!leue
-- (all the usual disclaimers apply)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 86 13:32:43 PST
From: <DAVEG@slacvm.bitnet>
Subject: Re: Apple's response about Bugs in Apple Software

    In a recent info-mac, I posted the response from George Deriso regarding
my original note about the poor track record of Apple updates to Apple brand
software. Before he sent the mail item for posting, he was kind enough to
personally call me and talk with me about the situation. After speaking
with him, I concluded that the reason Apple hasn't done an adequate job
supporting their products is because their resources are tied up in the
new products.  It seems to me that although everyone is excited about new
products from Apple, it is shortsighted to not support the existing products.
THERE ARE REAL PEOPLE OUT THERE WHO USE THEM AND EXPECT THEM TO WORK PROPERLY.
    After talking with George I did get the feeling that there were people
at Apple (namely his group) who were extremely interested in fixing the
existing software. He was very nice to call me and discuss the problems.
I have a few comments about his letter which was posted:

>other factors come into play: decisions must be made about how to distribute
>the software, when to revise it (in the event that more than one bug fix
>is pending), whether to add enhancements and whether the fix might adversely
>effect other third-party or Apple products.

    I agree that the system software suffers from the problems mentioned above,
namely may affect third party programs or Apple products. It is hard for
me to understand how fixing MacWrite, MacPaint, or MacDraw bugs will affect
third party products.

>While Apple is no longer an "out-of-the-garage" company, its larger size
>does not necessarily mean that we have endless resources to devote to these
>tasks.  The engineers who are sustaining existing products and effecting
>fixes are also working on future generations of products.

   This seems to me to be a serious problem. If Apple must support existing
products by using people who are working on newer products then that seems
to me to be neglecting the interests of those who are currently using the
product. This implies that there will never be nearly bug free software
for any Apple computer since there will always be another product which
is being worked on.

>Another critical issue is whether to stall technology if it means that
>not doing so will result in incompatibilities and marketing risks.  Would
>it have been wiser for Apple to ignore the requests for more memory and
>higher speed processing and concentrate instead on making sure that the
>128K Macintosh and its associated products were nearly flawless?  Should
>Apple have not introduced HFS because MacPaint handles its scrap differently
>from other programs?  Is it wise to take an engineer from his or her next
>GREAT product to spend time fixing an annoyance for which there is an existing
>workaround?

    Again, I feel that there is an obligation to those who already have
the product to ensure that the programs being sold for it work properly.
I'm glad that HFS was introduced even though it causes problems with MacPaint
but that is no excuse for not fixing MacPaint on a timely basis.

>Please realize that Apple has heard and is responding to you.  Although
>nothing happens overnight, it IS happening.  As an employee, it may be
>difficult to be impartial, but I think we are doing a FANTASTIC job.  Having
>worked in a number of other computer hardware/software related companies,
>I have to say that Apple is the most customer caring among them.  Your
>inputs are valuable;the fact that many Apple employees (among them, Jean-Louis
>Gassee) spend their personal time in users groups and on bulletin boards
>collecting your comments, requests, bug reports and complaints is directly
>related to the fact that you get products from Apple that are different
>and, in my opinion, far superior than anything else out there.

   I think it is hard for me to think that Apple is doing a FANTASTIC
job. I still stick to my guns regarding the fact that the track record for
updating the Apple label products has been far less than fantastic. I do
think Apple gets points for making upgrade paths to new products (which
generate quite a bit of new revenue for Apple I would think) but gets a
low grade for its support of existing products (which makes the current users
happy but generates no DIRECT revenue).

>George Deriso
>Supervisor, Apple Technical Communications

    Again, thanks to George for responding both directly to me and to
the net. I hope the Apple track record improves; I feel it will make
their position even stronger than it is right now.
David Gelphman                  BITNET address: DAVEG@SLACVM
Bin #88 SLAC                    ARPANET address:  DAVEG@SLACVM.BITNET
Stanford, Calif. 94305          UUCP address: ...psuvax1!daveg%slacvm.bitnet
415-854-3300 x2538
usual disclaimer #432 applies: my employer apologies for the fact
that I have access to this net.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 86 17:56 EST
From: CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: A modest proposal

I was awake this morning at 4 with a terrible head cold
that one gets from watching Notre Dame get stomped on
in 20 degree weather when I had a thought about a nice little
DA someone could write.  That someone would be me, unless
somebody out there already has something to do this.

The Problem: To convert files from various formats to MacWrite,
Word, etc.  Most notable amoung these are Script (from mainframes)
and DCA from IBM DisplayWrite etc (even tho Apple is working on this)
The trouble with conversion software is that the MacWrite file
format is a bear and a half to create from scratch and rarely
much fun to do.

The proposed solution:  Have a DA that reads a text file,
interprets the start place for things such as BOLD and italics,
size changes and so on, and proceeds to convert them to
MacWrite by posting events for various keypresses.  Thus
one would let MacWrite do that hard work.

Question: Does anyone out there have a textfile to event
posting DA?  I would use this as a bare bones start, if not,
I guess I'll do it from scratch.  So, while I'm working on
this, if anyone has any hot ideas about what I could use this
for, or some nifty file formats that I could use to do conversion
with, I'm open to any ideas.

Now where did I put that DA example program...

-Tom Dowdy
 CML5A9@IRISHMVS.BITNET
"I am increasingly of the opinion that a vast majority of
 wrong thinking people are right."

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 13 Nov 86 15:13:43 CST
From: AntiNeophilus <dubois@unix.macc.wisc.edu>
Subject: TransSkel Announcement

I am releasing to the net TransSkel 1.02, TransDisplay 1.0 and
TransEdit 1.0.  TransSkel 1.02 is an update to the original TransSkel
transportable application skeleton posted some months back.  This version
fixes a bug, makes some minor improvements, and (more significantly)
supports Zoomboxes and modeless dialogs.  Zoombox and dialog support
was provided by Dave Berry (well!dwb@lll-lcc.arpa).  I have modified
his code slightly, but he really did the work.  Thanks, Dave!

TransDisplay and TransEdit both run on top of TransSkel.  TransDisplay
provides any number of display-only windows.  These can be used for such
things as help screens or debug output display with memory.  TransEdit
provides any number of generic text editing windows.  Instant editors,
if you will.

The primary goal of each of these efforts is to come up with modules
that do significant things in a relatively appliciation-independent
manner, so that they can be compiled and plugged in.

All of it is free, public domain stuff.

---

The documentation is formatted using Times Roman 10, 12, 14 and 18 and
Courier 10 fonts.  For ImageWriter printing, the closest fit is
probably to change all the Times Roman instances to the corresponding
New York font, and change all Courier to Monaco-9 (unless you have a
good Monaco-10).  These changes can be made with Font Changer, written
by Tom Dowdy (public domain).

Looking at the sources without downloading them

The source files can be examined in Unix machines by first unhexifying
them with xbin, then unpacking them with unpit.  This will result in
several .data, .rsrc and .info files.  The .rsrc and .info files can be
thrown away.  The .data files should have the carriage returns mapped
onto newlines, e.g.:

	tr "\015" "\012" < junk.c.data | expand -4 > junk.c

The expand command formats the file for 4-column tabwidths, which is
how I wrote them.  Otherwise the code won't line up properly.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-TRANSDISPLAY-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-TRANSDISPLAY-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-TRANSDISPLAY-PART3.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-TRANSEDIT-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-TRANSEDIT-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-TRANSEDIT-PART3.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-TRANSSKEL-PART1.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-TRANSSKEL-PART2.HQX
[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-TRANSSKEL-PART3.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 16 Nov 86 18:32:18 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Disk Verify 1.1

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: DISK VERIFY
Date: 16-NOV-1986 17:15 by HSTARR

[ Updated 16-NOV-1986 15:18 by HSTARR to version 1.1. There is better messaging
and error handling. This release is SHAREWARE. ]

Here is a handy utility to check the formatting of your diskettes. It is non
destructive, and will check non-Macintosh (but Apple formatted) diskettes. This
will allow you to determine if those single sided disks really can be used as
double sided. Also good for a double check after a few days. Send comments and
suggestions to HSTARR.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-DISKVERIFY.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 86 07:36:13 est
From: osu-eddie!osupyr!pgn@seismo.CSS.GOV (Paul G. Nevai)
Subject: Lofty Becker's wonderful printer control FKeys

It's a pain in the neck to "deselect" and "form feed" whenever I want to
take out paper from the ImageWriter. Well, finally I thought why not to
go to THE EXPERT: I wrote Lofty Becker and asked him to make a FormFeed
FKey for me. In a couple of days he sent me one. I love it, it makes my
work much faster than it used to be in the pre-Lofty days. In what follows
I have a pit.hqx package of Lofty's FormFeed and ReverseFormFeed FKeys.
Lofty told me it's okay to post them.

If you agree with me that these FKey's are great then it would be nice if
you sent a postcard to Lofty thanking him for them. I personally think that
Lofty is a great guy, and I use this opportunity to express my appreciation
for the job he made for me.

Lofty can be reached at:

     Loftus E. Becker, Jr.
     41 Whitney Street
     Hartford, CT 06105

Paul Nevai
"lim Turan = weight"

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>FKEY-FORMFEED.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 86 14:01 PST
From: PUGH%CCX.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: New ROM SysAlert

This is an INIT for the 3.2 System and the NEW ROMS only! It
replaces the standard bomb box (which has two buttons) with a
three button box that allows Resume, Restart, and Finder and
instead of saying ID=2 it will print out a slightly more
descriptive text, like "Odd Address Exception", for whatever that
is worth.

This one is not as nice as the one for the old ROMS since that
also gave a register dump, but this has it's uses.  The old ROM
one would also appear if you pressed the Interrupt button.  This
one won't.  Instead you get access to the mini-debugger where you
can type SM F000 A9F4 and then G F000 to invoke the ExitToShell
trap.  This will almost always get you back to the Finder,
Switcher, or Lightspeed Pascal, whichever was last running.

I like these SysAlerts better than the Crashsaver type of
applications because these boot automatically and are never
accidentally forgotten.

Enjoy,
Jon

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>SYSALERTS-128KROM.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 17 Nov 86 18:37:07 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Other 3.0

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: OTHER... 3.0
Date: 10-NOV-1986 19:58 by LOFTUSBECKER

[ Updated 7-NOV-1986 02:57 by LOFTUSBECKER to version 3.0. ]

Version 2.0 of Other..., the desk accessory that lets you run desk accessories
from disk files even if they aren't installed in the System. Major changes from
earlier versions, now supports full concurrent operation with the running
program. Documentation in MacWrite 4.5 format. This upload is version 2.01.
        - Lofty Becker

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-OTHER-30.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 17 Nov 86 19:37:45 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: MW 4.5 Counter

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: MW 4.5 Counter
Date: 15-NOV-1986 15:16 by PAGE1

This is a Word counter DA for Macwrite 4.5 and TEXT files.  Information on how
to pay for this and how to get the source code are included.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-MACWRITE-WC.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 17 Nov 86 19:38:23 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Translator

[ Uploaded from Delphi by Jeff Shulman ]

Name: Translator
Date: 15-NOV-1986 15:22 by PAGE1

This is a DA that will translate a Macwrite 4.5 file into TEXT.  Handy for Red
Ryder and other applications where you need to read a file with Mockwrite but
don't want to go to Macwrite to change the file to TEXT.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DA-MACWRITE-TOTEXT.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Nov 86 02:11 N
From: <INFOEARN%HLERUL5.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Re: Probably Unrealistic DA Request

There _is_ a desk accessory to read MacWrite files.  The name says it all:
it's called ReadMacWrite.  ReadMacWrite was an application written at
Reed College and posted to Usenet some time ago to convert MacWrite files
to text-only files, but a friend of mine miraculously had a DA version of it,
which I had never seen going by on the net.

Looks like it's just what you were looking for, Michael.  Since the authors
posted the program before, I guess there's no problem in me doing it again.
But now a PackIt file including the program, the DA, and the message that
came with the first posting.

-- Thomas

   FRUIN@HLERUL5.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 86 21:05 EST
From: GKN3M2%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: MacWrite default font

There is a utility that will change the default font called
PRAM Editor.  THis program manages the information stored in the
Mac's internal paramater memory (about 20K of RAM).  Most of the
PRAM is set with the control panel, but this does not include
the default font.  PRAM Editor is shareware and may be available
in the SUMEX archives.  If not, it's on my BBS in the Utilities
section under the name of "PRAM Edit".  Hope this helps.
   Evan Bauman
   University of Notre Dame
   gkn3m2@irishmvs (bitnet)
   MacCHEG BBS  (219)-283-4714   after 6PM and all weekend

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Nov 86 19:45:44 est
From: levine@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Jonathan M. Levine)
Subject: MacPlus Keyboard Run-away

I've had similar problems with my 512E (standard keyboard) during dips in line
voltage (like when the refrigerator compressor goes on).  I'm not sure what the
problem is, but it usually goes away once the power comes back up to 120V.  The
one time this did not happen, while I was in the Library window of MacLighting,
I was able to stop the repeating temporarily by typing another key (which turns
off autorepeat).  Of course, when I stopped typing the problem re-occured, but
banging on the offending key a few times solved it.

               Jonathan

"This space for rent"

------------------------------

Date: Sun 16 Nov 86 23:19:30-EST
From: "Bob Soron" <Mly.G.Pogo%OZ.AI.MIT.EDU@XX.LCS.MIT.EDU>
Subject: Font questions

When I'm in the Finder (F5.3/S3.2) and use the new KeyCaps, I have no
trouble with either Cairo or Mobile/Taliesin, but once I boot Word up,
both of them come out as 18-pt. Geneva.  Anyone have any hints or tips?

On a related topic, there've been rumors out here of "HFS versions of
the Apple fonts" (this appeared in the Boston Computer Society's Mac
newsletter), but no one knows anything.  If any of you folks do, a whole
bunch of users out here would sure appreciate a note.

FInally, does anyone know if there's a DA along the lines of "Other..."
that temporarily installs fonts into a font menu?  (I'm using Word 1.05
if there is one and it makes a difference, but it would probably come in
handiest in Macpaint.)

Bob

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 18 Nov 86 15:58 PST
From: PUGH%CCX.MFENET@LLL-MFE.ARPA
Subject: FullPaint gripes

It's time for me to complain about FullPaint again and to see if anyone knows
if they are going to fix any of this stuff.

FullPaint still doesn't handle selections correctly.  First of all you can only
select things on the screen UNLESS you press the Option key BEFORE you click
the mouse.  This ALLOWS you to select WITH THE MARQUE ONLY an area of the page
larger than the screen.  Unfortunately, you cannot do some things with this.
You cannot Trace Edges nor Rotate a large selection.  Nor can you do any of
the four wonder-goodies on the bottom of the menu.  This seems pretty
arbitrary to me.  Both Thunderscan and PaintCutter can Rotate a large
selection (which you got by default in both cases), and Trace Edges has no
need to have the entire picture on screen for it to work.  In fact, Trace
Edges is one of those nifty things that CANNOT be done in chunks.  No way,
Jose!

It also needs a single picture mode that doesn't hog as much memory as it
normally does.  I would like to see a version that can be run under Switcher,
with only one window available, in 256K or less.  As it is it NEEDS 380K and
if that's all it has then it CANNOT use the Clipboard (how useful are Mac
programs that don't use the Clipboard, kids?).

It seems that FullPaint could use some more programming effort (and not the
kind that allows you to get Life instead of Trace Edges when you hold down the
Option key - I use that feature a lot! :-) to make it an end all bitmap
editor.  Don't get me wrong, I love the program, but it's like seeing your kid
playing Baseball badly.  You want to make him play right, but you just can't.
He has to do it. I want FullPaint to work better, because I like it and I use
it.

Jon

------------------------------

From: D L Lulue <nosc!lulue@cod.nosc.arpa>
Date: 14 Nov 86 22:16:33 GMT
Subject: Warp 9 30 MB hard disk

My 30 meg Photon 30 arrived today from Warp Nine Engineering.  It is
still in the box so I can't report on its performance, but here are the
costs:

1	Photon 30 Plus     $795.00
1	SCSI Cable	  	 29.00
1	Software Bundle  	 39.95
	Shipping/Handling	 20.00

	Total		    $883.95

The manual is well written and easy to understand.  It took Warp Nine 2
weeks to ship after I placed the order.   The warranty is for 90 days
with an optional additional year for $100.00.  The additional coverage
can be purchased at any time during the 90 days.

I'll report any problems I encounter, however at this point I don't
expect any.  I hope this information is of use to anyone considering a
hard disk purchase.

Dan.

------------------------------

From: harvard!ci-dandelion!carl@seismo.CSS.GOV (Carl A. Dunham)
Date: 17 Nov 86 21:39:03 GMT
Subject: HD vs. Floppy: $/Kb

	For those of us who are unwilling to shell out the $$ for a
hard disk (or can't), reading all about how nice a time everyone is
having with theirs can be quite a disheartening experience.

	This little survey should make you feel a little better.  If
you just shelled out $1k+ for a new disk, just keep repeating to
yourself "It's faster and more convenient, it's faster and more
convenient..."
#endif

	NB: I'm not naming names here because I was having some
difficulty finding a nice range.  Also, brands aren't really the
point;  I have tried to give a decent enough spread so that everyone
gets covered.  Two prices are given for each size, except for the
larger drives.  These prices are roughly the high and low prices that
I have seen (read remember).  Figures are rounded to two decimal
places, and are in American dollars.

	Notably absent here are 400K floppies.  It would be
interesting to see how they stack up against the others.  Also, I
implore people to find fault with my math, or find better prices.

	Assumptions:	1K == 1024 bytes
			1M == 1024K
			nK == n * 1K
			nM == n * 1M
			$1 == 100 cents

	Size in bytes		Cost($)		Cost for 1K (cents/K)
	-------------		-------		---------------------
	800K DS floppy		   1.60		0.20
	800K DS floppy		   4.25		0.53

	 20M HD			 650.00		3.17
	 20M HD			1250.00		6.10

	(these figures I just whipped together from a posting I saw recently)

	 60M HD			1795.00		2.92
	 88M HD			2195.00		2.44
	100M HD			2595.00		2.53

	Now, just for those of you are are saying "Gee, maybe the
prices of those new SCSI disks will continue to drop enough to narrow
the gap", we have the following chart.  All I did for this was to
multiply the size (in Kb) by $0.0020 (the cheap floppy price) or
$0.0053 (the expensive floppy price).

	Size (bytes)		cheap($)	expensive($)
	------------		--------	------------
	800K			  1.60		  4.24
	 20M			 40.96		108.54
	 60M			122.88		352.63
	 88M			180.22		477.59
	100M			204.80		542.72

	So when they start selling 100Mb hard disks at $200 each, sign
me up.  Im the mean time, I'll continue to rely on my cheapo RAM disk
and clumsy floppies, thank you.

Carl A. Dunham		uucp: ...!{mit-eddie,ulowell}!ci-dandelion!carl
			bitnet: CARL@BROWNVM

"I work in the nighttime,
 Sleep in the daytime,
 I might not ever get home."

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 17 Nov 86 11:17:28 CST
From: wmartin@ngp.utexas.edu (Wiley Sanders)
Subject: Re: MS Word Upgrade Pricing

The new list for MS Word 3.0 is $395, one expects the mail order price to
be, maybe $200 minimum. The upgrade is supposed to be $50 if the old ver-
sion is purchased after 1 October. You can get the old version (1.05) mail
order now for about $110. Doesn't it behoove all potential MS Word owners
to buy now and then upgrade, thus saving at least $40?
   Or perhaps MS is encouraging users to buy 3.0 instead of 3.1 or 3.2,
and you know what THAT means! ;-)
-w

[ note from moderator: I suspect that MS is trying to lure in those who may
otherwise be waiting other products like WriteNow which is now available
and WordPerfect which is due out shortly. DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: 18 Nov 86 12:01:07 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #94

Usenet Mac Digest        Tuesday, 18 November 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 94

Today's Topics:
     Re: Static brushes
     Re: Appletalk Cables
     Re: Computerworld Focus 11/12
     Re: IBM-PC <-> VAX <-> MAC network?
     Re: TML Pascal ver 2.01 bug (really: Request for TML 2.0x info)
     Squealing DataFrame
     Help - Kermit eats HD20 space
     Re: Apple SCSI
     Re: Northeastern Software bankruptcy
     DA wanted
     QuickDraw Request
     Small bug in MacMETH toolbox-interface
     Re: Help - Kermit eats HD20 space
     RamStart 1.3 as startup?
     Re: Computerworld Focus 11/12
     Macintosh <--> Smith-Corona typewriter connection?
     Warning about the Best of MacTutor
     Warning about MacUnderground
     Mac pictures inside a troff doc??
     APL for the Mac
     Snobol for the Mac?
     Re: QuickDraw Request
     Naming Bug
     Re: Break Key w/128k Roms, old keyboard, Macterminal
     Princeton font
     Re: Macintosh <--> Smith-Corona typewriter connection?
     Re: Help - Kermit eats HD20 space
     Re: Binhex V4 or Kermit.rsrc binaries needed!
     alternate dot-matrix printers + drivers ?
     Re: Computerworld Focus 11/12 (Mac interface)
     ZoomWindows...Help Wanted
     Funny behavior of the Video, and avoiding expensive service fees
     Algorithmic and implementation references about Quickdraw
     Re: Computerworld Focus 11/12
     mac video - drawing into ScreenBits fast?
     accelerators and more memory
     DiskTimer II results

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-94.ARC

DAVEG
]

End of INFO-MAC Digest