[mod.mac] INFO-MAC Digest V5 #17

INFO-MAC-REQUEST@SUMEX-AIM.ARPA (Moderator David Gelphman...) (12/01/86)

INFO-MAC Digest          Sunday, 30 Nov 1986       Volume 5 : Issue 17

Today's Topics:
                        Lightspeed C  Version 1.5
                              Object Pascal
                                BinHexing
                      DataFrame 20 initializer 2.1
                               fortune.hqx
                           fortunecookies.hqx
                              Soundplay.hqx
                          CONDENSED-IM-VOL2.HQX
                    Twilight zone startup sound file
                     Re:  Imagewriter II problem...
                         RE:Corvus disk problems
                           New ROM and System
                          SmarTEAM modems again
                Re: Why are Mac SCSI Disks so expensive?
                   re: why SCSI drive is so expensive
            POSTSCRIPT request for the Apple Laserwriter Plus
                     Wave-15 and PostScript Printing
                        Delphi Mac Digest V2 #61
                        Delphi Mac Digest V2 #62
                        Delphi Mac Digest V2 #63
                        Usenet Mac Digest V2 #97

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 86 14:56 EDT
From: Joe Mastroianni <JDM%SMVL%rca.com@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Lightspeed C  Version 1.5

        Has anyone gotten the 1.5 update to LSC yet? I thought
it was supposed to be sent gratis at the end of October to all
registered owners. Here it is, end of November, almost, and I still
haven't gotten it. Has anyone had any better luck?

                               Joe

------------------------------

Date: 25 Nov 86 10:43:05 EST
From: Peter.Su@gnome.cs.cmu.edu
Subject: Object Pascal

Having been in the Macgnome group for a while and used Macapp for all this
time, I would say that if LightSpeed Pascal supported Objects and Macapp I
would run out and buy copies for my friends, me, my dog (and I don't even
have a dog...),...

This is because, as we all know, LSP is fast, and MPW is slow and too big
for the casual user, and of course, Macapp is great stuff.

Well, that's my opinion.

<Standard disclaimer: My boss doen't even know my opinion...much less share
it.>

Pete
-------
ARPA: hugo@cmu-cs-gandalf.arpa      BELL:412-681-7431
UUCP: ...!{ucbvax,ihnp4,cmucspt}!hugo@cmu-cs-gandalf.arpa
USPS: 5170 Beeler St., Pittsburgh PA 15213
QUOT: "What's that I smell? I smell home cooking.  It's only the river!"
			_ Talking Heads

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 86 10:02:21 est
From: jonathan@mitre-gateway.arpa (Jonathan Leblang)
Subject: BinHexing

a document, when I have downloaded a large file that has characters in the
header that prevent it from being unBinhexed, I just use DiskTools (I'm sure
that Fedit+ would also work) to replace the header with spaces.  This avoids
having to load a large file into a text editor.

          _____  __    ___
|\  /|  |   |   |  \  |         ARPA: jonathan@bert.mitre.org
| \/ |  |   |   |__/  |__       BELL: (703) 883-5761
|    |  |   |   | \   |         MAIL: 7525 Colshire Drive
|    |  |   |   |  \  |___            McLean, VA  22102

  Jonathan A. Leblang
 The MITRE Corporation

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 86 19:43:06 PST
From: <DAVEG@slacvm.bitnet>
Subject: DataFrame 20 initializer 2.1

This posting was culled from USENET news and should be of assistance to
those trying to speed up their DataFrame 20s.

--

Since many on the net have Dataframe drives, I thought others might
find the newest Dataframe formatter useful.  This is version 2.1 and

FMT - format version number
DRVR - driver version number

Version Number    Reads      Writes     Access
1.4FMT 1.5DRVR     194        194        74
1.5FMT 1.5DRVR     147        147        74
1.5FMT 2.1DRVR     146        146        64
2.1FMT 2.1DRVR      99         99        63

All these tests were run on a 512K Mac with new ROMS and a levco 2 meg
upgrade.  The cache was turned off.
Note: To get the fastest speed, you will have to reformat your
dataframe drive and install the lastest driver.  The following
binhexed program will allow you to do this.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>UTILITY-DATAFRAME-INIT-21.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 86 10:46:58 est
From: jonathan@mitre-gateway.arpa (Jonathan Leblang)
Subject: fortune.hqx

[uploaded from ngp by Jonathan Leblang]
This is an Unpit (or PackIt I/II/III) file containing a Fortune for
the Mac program, a spinoff of the Unix fortune game/utility.  I hope
you enjoy it, but please send any new Cookies to one of the following
adresses.

David Fry				fry@huma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics		fry@harvma1.bitnet
Harvard University			fry%huma1@harvsc4.bitnet
Cambridge, MA  02138			...!harvard!huma1!fry

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-FORTUNE.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 86 10:47:50 est
From: jonathan@mitre-gateway.arpa (Jonathan Leblang)
Subject: fortunecookies.hqx

[uploaded from ngp by Jonathan Leblang]
Here is a new and improved Cookies file for use with the Fortune program
I posted a week ago.  This has 177 adages, so you have a nicer selection.
Special thanks go to Tom Milligan for supplying me with a huge list
of sayings.

David Fry				fry@huma1.harvard.EDU
Department of Mathematics		fry@harvma1.bitnet
Harvard University			fry%huma1@harvsc4.bitnet
Cambridge, MA  02138			...!harvard!huma1!fry

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>GAME-FORTUNE-COOKIES.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 86 10:41:55 est
From: jonathan@mitre-gateway.arpa (Jonathan Leblang)
Subject: Soundplay.hqx

[uploaded from ngp by Jonathan Leblang]

Here is the SoundPlay package posted some time ago.

This file is a BinHex of a PackIt II file containing :-

1) SoundPlay - program plays digitized sound files like "Max Speaks";
2) SoundInit - installs an INIT resource which plays a digitized sound file
		named "StartupSound";
3) BeepInit  - program that installs an INIT resource which alters the
		Standard ErrorSound to the sound in a digitized sound file
		named "BeepSound";
4) BeepSound - a sample sound for BeepInit.

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>SOUNDPLAY-EXTRAS.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 86 10:45:23 est
From: jonathan@mitre-gateway.arpa (Jonathan Leblang)
Subject: CONDENSED-IM-VOL2.HQX

[uploaded from ngp by Jonathan Leblang]

Here is the Inside Macintosh Condensed, Volume 2 which I wrote this spring.
Of course, it will soon become out-of-date with the new ROMs. But I figured
it would be useful to beginners or educators until I can update it.  I have
not done any work on condensing Volume 1.

Let me know if you found it useful, or if you wish to contribute to its
continued existence.

Daniel LaLiberte   217-333-8426
Department of Computer Science
1304 W Springfield
Urbana, IL  61801

liberte@uiucdcs.Uiuc.ARPA
ihnp4!uiucdcs!liberte

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>CONDENSED-IM-VOL2.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 86 10:44:40 est
From: jonathan@mitre-gateway.arpa (Jonathan Leblang)
Subject: Twilight zone startup sound file

[uploaded from ngp by Jonathan Leblang]
This is an Unpit (i.e. Packit II uncompressed format) files containing
1) A MacNifty Soundcap digitized sound file containing the first few
seconds of the Twilght Zone theme, named StartupSound, and 2) the PD
program SoundInit which installs something into the System file which
will play any Soundcap file named StartupSound in the System Folder at
boot-up.

The only the user needs to do to get the theme to play at boot-up is:

1)  Run SoundInit.
2)  Place the StartupSound file in the System folder.
3)  Make sure that the files name is StartupSound (this is equivalent to
    making the startup screen's name StartupScreen).

                                "It is indeed a sad commentary when it's
                                 easier to send a person 500 years into the
                                 past than across town"

                                        Moriarty, aka Jeff Meyer
ARPA:  fluke!moriarty@uw-beaver.EDU
UUCP:  {uw-beaver, sun, allegra, sb6, lbl-csam}!fluke!moriarty
CREDO: You gotta be Cruel to be Kind...

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>SOUND-TWILIGHTZONE.HQX

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 86 9:10:45 EST
From: Thomas Coradeschi  (FSA-E)  <tcora@ARDEC>
Subject: Re:  Imagewriter II problem...

>I was trying to print some diskette labels but ran into a problem that
>caused my printer to jam. Since then, it doesn't seem to be printing as
>well as it used to. I hope not, but the printing head might be a damaged.
>Also, the plastic infront of the head has some sort of an aluminium foil
>that is also damaged. Being a student, I don't have the resources to take
>it to the local dealer (who I don't trust anyway) to fix it. Any idea of
>where those two parts might be available and how much they would cost? It
>is a simple matter of replacing them.

Unfortunately, you have run into the same problem i did. The only difference is
that i messed up my employer's printer, and you did it to your own. The little
plastic thingie in front of the print head (with the aluminum foil on it) has
possibly gotten a small tear in it -- mine did. Just take out the two phillips
screws holding it in and carefully wiggle it while pulling it upwards to remove
it. The printer seemed to work ok without it for several weeks until a new one
was provided. By the way, the new one only cost a dollar or two, as i recall.
The reason your print quality is suffering is probably due to the foil grabbing
the ribbon, and preventing it from travelling smoothly past the print head.
My last recommendation to you is to forget about printing disk or mailing
labels with the eimagewriterII. Get yourself an imagewriterI or be prepared to
repair your printer frequently. Also, the roller in the IWII cannot be removed,
so getting those sticky little labels out it a real hummer!

Regards,
tom c

------------------------------

From: Paul Skuce <mcvax!hatfield.ac.uk!comt-ps@seismo.CSS.GOV>
Date: Tue, 25 Nov 86 13:56:23 GMT
Subject: RE:Corvus disk problems

Re: Mod.Mac V5 #11
Re: Corvus disk question

We have 2 corvus's which are connected to 512/E's. To connect to a MacPlus you would need to get a mini din to 9 pin din. Also you need 5 volts from some where to drive the corvus interface (which apple in their wisdom have removed from the +).
To boot with the new system do the following:
Copy old boot disk except system, finder imagewriter to new disk
Copy on new system, finder etc onto the new disk
Open OLD system with ResEdit copy the Onmidriver driver ID=11(in with the D.A.'s) and Paste into the new system
Copy INIT 3 from old system and paste into new system.
Make logon SetStartup and that should work (ONCE you have 5volts)
		Regards
			Paul Skuce
		Hatfield Polytechnic, School Information Science, P.O. box109
		College Lane, Hatfield, England, AL10 9AB
			comt-ps%hatfield.ac.uk%mcvax%seismo%.. from States
			comt-ps%hatfield.ac.uk%mcvax%..		From Eur
               He is coming back.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 86 11:41:26 EST
From: ST401385%BROWNVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: New ROM and System

I got 6 responses to my complaints about the new system and single-drive
macs:

Disagree: 4 (of which, some were of the form "well, I have two drives and a
hard disk, and I think the new system is great-- a fine plug for Apple, but
hardly responding to my complaint that the new system was poor for single drive
systems).
agree: 1
Neutral (suggesting fixes without agreeing or disagreeing): 1

 Most people suggested that the problems were with the applications, not the
system.
The three most important suggestions were:

>    (1) Strip the system down by removing all unnecessary fonts,
> desk accessories, etc.  This will result in a system that is only
> 40 K larger than the old system.
     40 K larger than the old system unstripped?   That's
still pretty big.  Also, the new font/DA mover doesn't mark any fonts
as being system fonts that shouldn't be deleted.  Does this mean that
you can delete any fonts at all?

>    (2) You are probably using an old version of RAMstart.(*)
     Right.  I thought it was the latest version, but it turns
out that only versions named RAMHFS work on the new system.
     I have now used the one labelled RAMHFS13 HQX and it does,
in fact, work on the new system.  In order to hold system, finder,
imagewriter, and MacWrite requires a 350 K ramdisk, and I *still*
think that the new system is too big, but at least it works.  (I do,
however, get the errors "can't empty trash" and "not enough memory
to move the selected objects; please move in two groups", which is quite
annoying when you are only moving one object.)

>    (3) The problems with disk swapping you mention are bugs in
> MacWrite.  Microsoft WORD is much better, although larger.  Word
> 3.0 will be incredible (release scheduled soon.)
     Ok.  I tried Word when it first came out, release 1.05 I think,
and didn't like it. However, I have been informed that the current version
is much better than MacWrite, and the problems have been fixed, so I'll
give it a try.  Version 3 sounds great, but it has one problem: it
doesn't exist yet.
     Question: can I fit Word on a RAM disk with the system, finder,
and imagewriter?  Will I be able to fit Word 3.0 on it?  If not, I may
still have to keep using MacWrite anyway.

    And as for the kind person who suggested that the old system still
worked with the upgraded mac, so why didn't I just use that and quit
complaining (the following comment should be read in a patient, long-suffering
voice, as if explaining something to a not-very-bright child):
I just spent almost $300 getting an upgrade, double-sided disk drive, and some
double sided disks.  You are now suggesting that I just cheerfully accept the
fact that the money is wasted and that I should go back to a system that
doesn't read double sided disks.  Well, in fact that is what I *do* have to
do, since I still have programs that I can't get to work on the new system.
However, I think this is just cause to complain.

* the original posting listed "version 2.22".  This, of course, was
a misprint, I meant 1.22.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 86 10:06 N
From: <INFOEARN%HLERUL5.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: SmarTEAM modems again

Just a quick reminder that there's another ad for those SmarTEAM modems
I mentioned some time ago in this month's BYTE.  That's the november BYTE,
page 24.  I've gotten a couple of mails from people asking where to reach
the maker of these modems... BYTE has all the addresses.

-- Thomas

   FRUIN@HLERUL5.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: 25 Nov 86 15:02 PST
From: Ghenis.pasa@Xerox.COM
Subject: Re: Why are Mac SCSI Disks so expensive?

"But wait just a second! That Seagate 20 meg hard disk is $528, PLUS a
controller, PLUS a powersupply and chassis. That total cost is $528 +
$170 + $100 = $798. "

A better reference might be the cost of a 20 Meg HD for a PC-XT
compatible: around $350 INCLUDING controller. Maybe a bit slower than
the AT HDs, but it's still 20 Megs; and $350 is AFFORDABLE.

So what is the justification for the high cost of Mac peripherals? It's
a real shame, because that happens to be one of the reasons why many
people choose IBM compatible systems instead...

-- Pablo Ghenis

------------------------------

Date: Tue 25 Nov 86 21:37:49-PST
From: David Liu <DLIU@Sierra.Stanford.EDU>
Subject: re: why SCSI drive is so expensive

I have seen new, unused 20meg hard disk drive  (internal!!) with control
card sold for IBM-PC/XT/clones for $490!  I have a hard time to convince
the management in the company I work to go for a Mac with a $1000-2000
internal hard disk while one can get one with half to 1/3 of that price for an
IBM-PC/XT/AT.  You may say Mac is better than PC/XT/AT but the disk drive
is'nt and should not deserve the excessive over pricing.

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 86 20:23:05 aest
From: munnari!rpepping.oz!RAY@seismo.CSS.GOV
Subject: POSTSCRIPT request for the Apple Laserwriter Plus

Subject: LaserPrinter on AppleTalk.

I wish to send the appropriate commands down through Appletalk to
reset the LaserPrinter (Plus) in the same way that turning the power
on or off does.   I believe that changing the selection switch
for the appropriate input port on the back of the machine also does
this.  ie. I need the machine reset without the LaserPrep file
loaded and still with the Appletalk server software (if needed).
For reasons of attaching the Vax VMS system to Appletalk through a
small Mac acting as a server I need to be able to software wise
reset the system and then load in my own Prep file preceeding the
actual plotting Postscript.

At the moment I seem to be running out of the limit for the number
of Font Dictionaries allowed in the system ( I think it is 20? - can
someone please confirm this!)

PLEASE CAN SOME POSTSCRIPT GURU HELP ME BY LETTING ME KNOW THE
POSTSCRIPT COMMANDS TO SOFTWARE WISE RESET THE SYSTEM, SET ALL
DICTIONARY STACKS TO ZERO, LOAD THE SYSTEMDICT AS THE OPSTACK AND
CLEAR ALL OTHER STATUS STATES.

I would very much appreciate any help anyone could give on this one
as it has been driving me crazzy for a week now.
Thanks for any help anyone can give.

By the way the Tasmanian package LASERGate to act as a small spooler
program in a dedicated Mac used to interface the VAX system to the
Appletalk network works very well.

The Tasmanian writers of this software are also looking for a
solution to the above problem. You could mail <Luke@tasis.oz> also
if you have a possible solution.

Raymond Haynes, CSIRO Division of Radiophysics,
Mail: P.O. Box 76, Epping, NSW, 2121, Australia
ACSNET:  ray@rpepping.oz
Internet: ray%rpepping.oz@Seismo.CSS.GOV
UUCP: {seismo,hplabs,mcvax,ukc,nttlab}!munnari!rpepping.oz!ray
Telephone: Aust.(02) 868 0222
Telex:     AA26230 ASTRO

[ note from moderator: There IS a desk accessory for the Mac which will
reset the LaserWriter. It is posted in the archives as DA-LWRESET.HQX.
As a last resort you could look with resedit and see if STR# resources
contain the strings necessary to send to the LW.  DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: 25 Nov 86 11:05 EST
From: HALLETT JEFFREY A            <HALLETT@ge-crd.arpa>
Subject: Wave-15 and PostScript Printing

   2 questions:

1.  Has anyone seen or (even better) have a game called Wave-15?  If so,
could you please post it or (even better) mail it to me?

2.  Suppose I capture a PostScript file with flower-K.  Does anyone know
how I can then print this file on a Mac hooked to a LW later?  I know
there are ways to print it on a VAX hooked to a LW, but I do not know how
to print it from a Mac.

Thanks
JAH

[ note from moderator: There are two programs in the archives which can
accomplish the task of printing a postscript file on a LaserWriter hooked
up to a Mac:  UTILITY-PSTESTER.HQX  works well but is limited to 32K files.
UTILITY-SENDPS.HQX   was written by someone at Adobe and has no file size
limit I believe BUT I have had it crash on me and it doesn't seem quite
as HARDY as the other program. Take your pick. One other point is that
these programs may send the LaserPrep file automatically and if so you
should capture your postscript file using COMMAND-F instead of command-K.
DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: 24 Nov 86 18:35:24 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #61

Delphi Mac Digest          Monday, 24 November 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 61

Today's Topics:
     RE: APL for the Mac
     ReadySetGo 3
     Phone line surge suppressor (3 messages)
     Re: Algorithmic and implementation references about Quickdraw (5 messages)
     again, hard drives (2 messages)
     Re: HFS Fonts?
     STICKy folders! (9 messages)
     ? (2 messages)
     Business Filevision 1.1
     RE: Need cheap Mac printer
     excess
     boot problem
     RE: INFO WANTED: modems and software for MAC+
     Word 3.0 (3 messages)
     RE: Wanted: the MacBinary specification
     DiskExpress/DataFrame problems (5 messages)
     Tecmar as SCSI
     Show it (2 messages)
     Rodime 6052? (2 messages)
     RE: SCSI driver id numbers?
     RE: Disk Tag Support - Apple says "No"
     RE: SCSI driver id numbers?
     DiskExpress Set Startup (2 messages)
     System file corruption from Switcher?
     MPW observations (3 messages)

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV2-61.ARC

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 27 Nov 86 11:15:33 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #62

Delphi Mac Digest        Thursday, 27 November 1986    Volume 2 : Issue 62

Today's Topics:
     programming help (3 messages)
     Not again....
     RE: Why are MAC/SCSI disks so expensive? (2 messages
     RE: MIDI Interfaces
     Comparisons:PASCAL (6 messages)
     RE: MPW observations (4 messages)
     RE: boot problem (4 messages)
     RE: Re: Mac Engineering
     San Francisco expo
     Mac upgrade shaft (12 messages)
     Discipline (2 messages)

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV2-62.ARC

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 30 Nov 86 16:53:49 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Delphi Mac Digest V2 #63

Delphi Mac Digest        Sunday, 30 November 1986      Volume 2 : Issue 63

Today's Topics:
     RE: STICKy folders! (2 messages)
     RE: Comparisons:PASCAL (3 messages)
     RSG 3 Opinion (3 messages)
     PRINTSHOP/HARD DRIVE (4 messages)
     XP20 (2 messages)
     RE: MPW observations (3 messages)
     old prog problem
     RE: programming help
     LSP and DA's (7 messages)
     Network
     DF20 problem (2 messages)
     RE: boot problem
     RE: Terminal programs not dropping DTR when they terminate.
     System Heap Size (3 messages)
     Ghost windows
     Serial i/o

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>DELPHIV2-63.ARC

DAVEG
]

------------------------------

Date: 26 Nov 86 14:51:30 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #97

Usenet Mac Digest        Wednesday, 26 November 1986   Volume 2 : Issue 97

Today's Topics:
     TDK 3.5" disks -- query
     Re: Small bug in MacMETH toolbox-interface
     Re: SCSI Hard Disks (Delphi Digest V2 #52)
     Re: Info wanted: Mac in the Lab
     220v 50 cycle current
     DataSpace DS20 Info requested
     MacLab and animation
     Re: APL for the Mac
     Re: Mac+ Keyboard Bug?
     Followup on System Heap and other Misc.
     Re: Mac+ DTR upside down?
     graphics tablets
     Getting Correct Font on LaserWriter
     Aztec 'C' problem - help!
     Re: Mac+ DTR upside down?
     Correction concerning Word 3.0
     Re: PostScript dump from SuperPaint
     Re: INFO WANTED: modems and software for MAC+
     Rumours on slotted/colour/68020 Mac?
     Re: mac video - drawing into ScreenBits fast?
     Re: Mac+ DTR upside down?
     Those Hard Disk Backup Blues

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-97.ARC

DAVEG
]

End of INFO-MAC Digest