Date: Wed, 26 Nov 86 13:48:22 est
From: munnari!csadfa.oz!jlo@seismo.CSS.GOV (John O'Neill)

Subject: LstMgr Doc Error?

In the IM4 chapter on the List Manager, the following words of wisdom
appear:

"RView is the rectangle, given in the local coordinates of the grafPort,
in which the list is displayed.  Room for scroll bars is not included
in this rectangle.  If the list has scroll bars and is to fill the
entire window, rView should be 15 points smaller in each dimension than
the grafPort."

and later on, under the heading "The LClikLoop Field":

"The lClikLoop field of a list record lets you specify a routine that
will be called repeatedly (by the LClick function, described below) as
long as the mouse button is held down within the rView rectangle or its
scroll bars."

The critical words here are "or its scroll bars".  Unfortunately, this
does not appear to be true, in that MyClikLoop() is not called when a
mouseDown occurs in the scroll bars. This is causing me grief, as I need
to redraw grids around cells whenever new cells are scrolled into rView.

Any suggestions?

John O'Neill		   Phone ISD:	+61 62 68 8165	    STD: (062) 68 8165
Dept. Computer Science	       Telex:	ADFADM AA62030
University College	      ACSNET:	jlo@csadfa.oz
Aust. Defence Force Academy	UUCP:	...!seismo!munnari!csadfa.oz!jlo
Canberra. ACT. 2600.		ARPA:	jlo%csadfa.oz@SEISMO.CSS.GOV
AUSTRALIA		       CSNET:	jlo@csadfa.oz

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 86 13:38:42 est
From: munnari!csadfa.oz!jlo@seismo.CSS.GOV (John O'Neill)

Subject: Re: ListMgr Documentation error?

> "The lClikLoop field of a list record lets you specify a routine that
> will be called repeatedly (by the LClick function, described below) as
> long as the mouse button is held down within the rView rectangle or its
> scroll bars."
>
> The critical words here are "or its scroll bars".  Unfortunately, this
> does not appear to be true, in that MyClikLoop() is not called when a
> mouseDown occurs in the scroll bars.

Since posting the above item out of frustration with IM, I have developed
a dirty workaround, which involves a custom List Definition Procedure
which calls the standard ListDefProc. To avoid creating an LDEF resource
and doing it properly, (as I still live in hope that someone will "re-
interpret" the "error" in IM vol 4 favourably) I use the userHandle field
to hold the default listDefProc, and make listDefProc point to my MyListProc:

    theList = LNew(&rView, &bounds, cSize, 0, theWindow,
        TRUE, TRUE, TRUE, TRUE);
    HLock(theList);
    (*theList)->lClikLoop = (Ptr) MyClikLoop;
    (*theList)->userHandle = (*theList)->listDefProc;
    ResrvMem(0L);	/* force low in heap, as it will be locked & lost */
    (*theList)->listDefProc = NewHandle(0L);
    HLock((*theList)->listDefProc);
    *((*theList)->listDefProc) = (Ptr) MyListProc;
    HUnlock(theList);

This is naughty, as it leaves a locked relocatable block lying around with no
handle to it - but it works, by making the ListMgr call the following routine,
which just calls the default LDEF and then checks the scroll bars:

pascal
void
MyListProc(lMessage, lSelect, lRect, lCell, lDataOffset, lDataLen, lHandle)
{
    Handle      listProc;
    Point       mousePt;

    listProc = (*lHandle)->userHandle;	/* get default LDEF */
    HLock(listProc);
    CallPascal(lMessage, lSelect, lRect, lCell, lDataOffset,
        lDataLen, lHandle, *listProc);	/* call default LDEF routine */
    HUnlock(listProc);

/* now check for mouseDown in Scroll Bars - fix ListMgr error */
    if ( Button() ) {
        GetMouse(&mousePt);
	if ( PtInRect(mousePt, &(*((*lHandle)->vScroll))->contrlRect) ||
	    PtInRect(mousePt, &(*((*lHandle)->hScroll))->contrlRect)) {
	    DrawGrid(...);
	}
    }
}

Do I really have to go to this much trouble?

Date: Sun, 30 Nov 86 16:36:37 est
From: munnari!csadfa.oz!jlo@seismo.CSS.GOV (John O'Neill)

Subject: Menu Manager bug - global TheMenu not set?

According to the assembly language note in IM1-357:
"The global variable TheMenu contains the menuId of the
currently highlighted menu."
THIS DOES NOT APPEAR TO BE TRUE, at least not in my configuration:
Mac+, System 3.2 Finder 5.2, LightspeedC v1.02.

More specifically, I had installed MBarHook & MenuHook functions to be
called by MenuSelect, e.g.
    MBarHook = MyMBarHook;
    MenuHook = MyMenuHook;
where:

static  Rect            myMenuRect;

MyMBarHook(menuRect)
Rect            *menuRect;
{
    myMenuRect = *menuRect;             /* this works OK                */
    DisplayInt(TheMenu);                /* debug - always displays 0!   */
    return ( FALSE );
}

MyMenuHook()
{
    Point           mousePt;
    MenuHandle      menuH;

    GetMouse(&mousePt);
    if ( PtInRect(mousePt, &myMenuRect) ) {
        menuH = GetMHandle(TheMenu);    /* bug - TheMenu is always 0    */
        DisplayInt((*menuH)->menuID);   /* debug - doesn't produce goods*/
    } else {
    }
}

I am using LightspeedC v1.02 which defines, inter alia:

#define MenuList        (* (Handle *) 0xA1C)
#define TheMenu         (* (int *) 0xA26)
#define MBarHook        (* (ProcPtr *) 0xA2C)
#define MenuHook        (* (ProcPtr *) 0xA30)

These all correspond OK with IM.

Of course, there is more than one way to skin a cat, as I work around the
problem by scanning MenuList until I find the correct menu by comparing
left edges of each menu in MenuList with the mouse position.  But I
shouldn't have to do that, should I?

Is this a bug, or am I doing something really stupid?

Date: Mon, 01 Dec 86 14:34 EST
From: CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Posting Menus

With Apples hidden anouncment of the new ROM call
PPostEvent I was able to get a DA to "hit" any key
combination I wanted, this included command keys.
I am using this for a tricky new DA I'm writting,
and it's working great.  But...

In the process, I noticed that it might be nice to be able
to post ANY kind of menu selection.  So, I thought, could
I do it with a MouseDown and a MouseUp post?  It didn't
seem to work, though I tried various posibilities...

Does anyone know how to post an event (or events) to
cause a menu item to be selected?

-Tom Dowdy
 CML5A9@IRISHMVS.BITNET
"I am increasingly of the opinion that a vast majority
 of wrong thinking people are right."

------------------------------

Date: 27 Nov 1986 02:18-EST
From: Stuart Uleman <su01@andrew.cmu.edu>
Subject: Finder 5.3/System 3.2 Bug?

This is what happened:  I had my MS-Word disk in the internal 800K
drive, and I ejected it with CMD-E to copy some files.  I then proceded
to put my MacSpell master in the internal drive and a blank disk in the
external 400K drive and copy the dictionary over.  When I was done, I
put the MacSpell master AND the dictionary disk in the trash to eject
them, put my MS-Word disk back in the internal drive, and
double-clicked on the Word icon.

Much to my surprise, my Mac spit the disk out and said:
	Please insert the disk:
		MS-Word
and would not accept the fact that the disk it just spit out WAS the
MS-Word disk.

Being severely irritated at this, I rebooted my Mac.  And now the
sucker tells me the Word disk has no System!  When I looked at the disk
with Tools 6.0, I found that the directory blocks from the DICTIONARY
disk had been somehow transferred to the Word disk, and although it
says "This is a two-sided disk" when I put it in the external drive,
the internal drive seems to think it's a 400K MFS disk, with the name
"Dictionary".  (But it shouldn't have even known about the dictionary
since I put that in the trash before putting the Word disk back in,
right?)  In addition to all this, it put random pieces of the disk into
files, so the Undelete Files option was totally useless....

Is this a Finder bug?  A System bug?  Or is there something wrong with
my 512e??  FYI, I was using:
	Mac 512e
	400K external Drive
	System 3.2
	Finder 5.3
	--No strange inits in the System file--it's right off the
	  System Tools disk that came with my ROM upgrade.

Does anybody have any idea what's going on?

Thanks in advance....

--Stu Uleman, Carnegie -Mellon University
	Arpa: su01@andrew.cmu.edu
	Bitnet: su01%andrew.cmu.edu@cmuccvma.bitnet
	Mailnet: su01%andrew@carnegie.mailnet

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 86 21:11:52 pst
From: gould9!joel@nosc.ARPA (Joel West @ Western Software Technology)
Subject: Apple-brand software

I have mixed feelings about Thomas Newton's points about Apple software.

On the one hand, I'd like to see MacWrite maintained, since I've
used it to write several 200+ page reports and books (broken into
30 page chapters) and find it fast and easy to use.  I wasted some
of my early (1984) money on Word and found it slow, confusing,
un-Macish and not WYSIWYG.  If it could write MacWrite files, I might
have used it, but since once you start Word you can never go back.

  [Aside: does anyone understand MS's upgrade policy?  They're
   trying to scare me into adding $99 to their cash flow now, when
   they may ship my upgrade later.  Also before I can find if a
   dealer will sell the upgrade discounted from list.]

However, look at MacWorld's latest sales figures.  You find MacWrite,
MacDraw, MacPaint and MacTerminal in the top of the charts.  As a
developer, why should I write a terminal program? There are already
two terminal programs many would consider superior to MacTerminal,
and one (Microphone) with a lot of advertising money behind it, and
yet they can't touch Apple's own software.

MacPaint is an odd item, since it really works as intended, and doesn't
really need fixing.  At the same time, anyone buying a new program
would be better off buying either FullPaint or SuperPaint (both
give multiple windows, allow printing in color, etc.) for the same
price.  Apple evangelists will (or should) tell you the same thing.

MacDraw as yet has no replacement, and I wouldn't be suprised if Apple
were to update it.  SuperPaint is not a replacement, although I
will be using it exclusively because I tend to draw one-page documents.

MacPascal is an interpeter; Lightspeed is a compiler, although a fast one.
It's probably better for most, but I don't see it as a direct replacement.

I think Apple should consider discontinuing MacPaint, since there are
two reasonable third-party successors.  Not upgrading MacPaint for
larger screens or new chips is tantamount to the same thing.  As far
as I'm concerned, Write and Draw should stay.

MacTerminal is odd.  It has very reliable VT100 emulation, while I couldn't
get the Microphone emulation to work with vi under curses.  Certainly
Apple would be foolish to discontinue a reliable program they
paid for until there are multiple, well-implemented and well-
debugged replacements.

	Joel West
	{cbosgd, ihnp4, pyramid, sdcsvax, ucla-cs} !gould9!joel
	joel%gould9.uucp@NOSC.ARPA

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 86 16:20 N
From: <INFOEARN%HLERUL5.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU> (Thomas Fruin)
Subject: FOUND: the MacBinary and Binhex specifications

Fantastic!  Only a couple of days after my MacBinary and Binhex queries
a kind person on Bitnet sent me both descriptions.  However, I want to make
sure these are the most recent or recent enough before I start distributing
them to everyone.

The MacBinary format is described in an article called "Macintosh Binary
Transfer Format Proposal".  It is a Revision 2 and is dated 12 April 1985
and was written by Dennis Brothers (Delphi: DBROTHERS).  If anyone has a
newer version I'd appreciate hearing about it.  I expect there to be one,
since this article is still a proposal.

The Binhex format is described in "HQX Format Description", dated 11 April
1985, by Yves Lempereur.  It specifically mentions "this is not intended
to be a programmer's reference", so if there is a newer one...

[ Oh yes, I'm also getting the C source of Unix xbin2.3, which will decode
  Binhex files. ]

-- Thomas

   FRUIN@HLERUL5.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Dec 86 13:57:46 EST
From: Mark Nodine <mnodine@labs-b.bbn.com>
Subject: Re: graphics tablets

I have used the Summagraphics tablet with the Mac+.  You do, indeed, need a
cable to convert from DF-9 to Mini DIN 8.

It seems to work quite well as long as you open up the Control Panel and put
the Mouse Tracking from Mouse mode into Tablet mode.  It is useful for tracing
drawings into MacDraw or MacPaint.  You can make the tracing easier by taping
a couple of layers of clear plastic over the tablet.  This does not interfere
with the ability of the tablet to track the pen, but it gives you a pocket into
which to put the drawing you want to trace without having to mess with tape.

Another way that the tablet can be used is for entering a signature to put at
the bottom of a document.  You can get a much better signature with the tablet
than you can with the mouse.

	--Mark

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 86 16:50 EST
From: GKN3M2%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Appletalk links

This may have been asked before, but I couldn't find any refernce
in the archives.
How does one go about linking Appletalk networks together?  There
are/will be three separate networks in our building and we have
been talking about linking them together via some kind of
gateway.  Although the total number of nodes is unlikely
to exceed 32, we would not like to create one big network.
Any suggestions would be appreciated.
   Evan Bauman
   Dep't of Chemical Engineering
   University of Notre Dame
   gkn3m2@irishmvs (bitnet)
   gkn3m2%irishmvs.bitnet@wiscvm.wisc.edu (arpanet)
   MacCHEG BBS (219)-283-4714

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 1986 10:49 PST
From: "Michael Fleming"  <HMICHEL%CALSTATE.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Accessing Modems on Appletalk

     Does anybody have any experience with connecting a modem to AppleTalk
and accessing it via MacServe or Tops?  Is there any hardware around that
will do that?  Is this dreamware?

     Thanks for any help.

Michael Fleming
California State College, Bakersfield

------------------------------

Date: Fri, 28 Nov 86 12:02 EDT
From: <FABER%BCVAX3.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU>
Subject: Connecting MAC Plus to Parallel Daisy Wheel printer

I want to run a Radio Shack Daisy Wheel II (made by Ricoh) from my Mac+.
I tried a serial-to-parallel port converter cable made by Assimilation
without success, apparently because the Mac Plus (with its 8-pin
connectors) lacks the + 5V output required by the Centronics parallel
port. I gather I need a converter with its own power supply.  Does
anyone know of a suitable cable?
Please respond to
FABER@BCVAX3.BITNET
Thanks.         - Richard Faber, Boston College Math Dept.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 86 11:34:19 EST
From: LI700016%BROWNVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Disk drives

Thanks for the suggestion to check a company called "Abaton" for 5 1/4"
floppy drives for the Mac.  I couldn't find them, however, after checking
several back issues of MacWorld and MacUser, and the 800- directory.
Anyone know how to find them, or any other company with such a drive?

Also, I've just been given 2 Lisa Profile hard drives, which I'd like to
attach to my Mac+....  Any sources for a Seageate->SCSI board, or info on
an easier way to do it (Maybe just through the ext. drive port)?

Carl Dunham's recent comparison of the per-byte cost of floppies and hard
drives was interesting.  I think for most folks 2 DS floppies should be
all they need if configured right, and so are the best choice.  For those
(probably most of whom read this) who need much more space, I'll put in a
plug for Bernoulli drives, which have a long-term per-byte cost near that
of floppies, but speed comparable to a Hyperdrive (at least on the dual
10-meg SCSI drives here).  Also, the backup process is very nice.  The main
problem is the initial cost; but you get infinite space for it (in the same
sense as with floppies).

(Usual disclaimers apply)

Steven J. DeRose
Dept. of Linguistics, Brown Un.

------------------------------

Date: Thu, 27 Nov 86 22:47:36 PST
From: c160-ed%zooey.Berkeley.EDU@BERKELEY.EDU (Norman Fong)
Subject: Apple HD20 sc
Sender: c160-ed@zooey.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP (Norman Fong)

The Apple HD20sc does use the economical Seagate 225N with the
integral scsi.  It sells for about 400$, so people can afford to
sell it for $600 and make a couple dollars.  Warning!  This drive
is not the greatest.  We have been using one for about 2 months
now and it occasionally makes a loud noise, like a  car  grinding
on the payment!  The drive continues to run and the noise  goes away
after a while, but it tends to send shivers  up one's  spine!
I'd suggest  checking into the Rodime  hard disks, they make  quality
stuff.  If I'm not mistaken, the HD20 used them, had a HD20 for
14 month and never a crash!

c160-ed@zooey.Berkeley.EDU.UUCP
Norman Fong

P.S. Most of the cheap 20 meg drives also use this  drive, ie
Jasmine, Relax, etc..

------------------------------

Date: Mon,  1 Dec 86  09:16:09 AST
From: PAUL%Acadia.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU  (Paul Steele - Acadia
Subject: SCSI Hard disks

There's been several complaints lately about the high prices for MAC
SCSI hard disk drives.  I agree that they do seem high, although the
new Jasmine drive at $599 is getting into the realm of affordability.
If you consider that this drive includes power supply and chassis, its
actually very close to a comparable 20 Meg Seagate ST-225 used in many
IBM machines (The Jasmine uses the ST-225).  There are obvious economic
reasons (supply and demand, for example) that are keeping the prices
higher than Mac users would like.  There is an article in the Nov 17th
issue of Infoworld about a new Mac drive and reasons why Mac drives are
more expensive, if anyone wants more information on this subject.

==> Paul@Acadia.BITNET

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 24 Nov 86 16:42 EDT
From: rw%williams.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET
Subject: LCD looking fonts for the Mac ?

  I'm writing some documentation for a device with an LCD segment
readout.  Has anyone created a Mac font (which should look good on
a LaserWriter) which looks like LCD characters ?

-- Randy Witlicki     rw%williams@csnet-relay

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 1 Dec 86 12:04:48 GMT
From: "Jay A. Rolls" <jrolls@bbncc-eur.ARPA>
Subject: Russian Fonts

Can anyone direct me to a source for Russian fonts for the Macintosh?  A friend
of mine would like to compose documents with part English and part Russian in
them.

			Thanks,

			Jay Rolls

[ note from moderator:  The Fluent Fonts set has a bitmap Russian font among
many other fonts in the collection. DAVEG ]

------------------------------

Date: Tue, 25 Nov 86 00:49:59 est
From: Christopher North <bono%dartmouth.edu@RELAY.CS.NET>
Subject: Strategic Conquest Plus

Coments about PBI Software's newest game Strategic Conquest Plus.

1) Amazing game.....best yet (well almost)

   This game is really great.  Digitzed sound...the whole works

2) Expensive....$60 is very steep for just a game

3) Copy-protected.....sure protection is on its way out but
   this game is the last game tthat should be protected.  The
   game can be played two player on two macs (either over appletalk
   or via cable) thus this fact combined with #2 makes it very
   practical to share thwe costs...however the protection prevents
   buyer #2 from playing alone.  If he wants to shell out another $60 he can play alone and with his partner....

   This is grossly unjust.....I protest such stupidity....if
   protection is a must then lower the price...otherwise it
   should at least come with two sets of disks.

------------------------------

Date: Wed, 26 Nov 86 20:24:46 est
From: mayerk@eniac.seas.upenn.edu (Kenneth Mayer)
Subject: Looking for version of Megaroids for 512e

Has anyone come across a version of Megaroids that works on the 512e?  I have
checked almost every net and found only Mac+ versions that cause my poor
little mac to bomb.

Thanks.

       /|---------------------------------------------------------------|\
      / |    ARPA:	mayerk@eniac.upenn.seas.EDU		        | \
     |  |    USnail:	Kenneth Mayer				        |  |
     |  |       	University of Pennsylvania, Moore School of Eng.|  |
     -  |       	305 S. 41st St				        |  -
     |  |       	Philadelphia, PA 19104			        |  |
     |  |    GENIE:	MAYERK					        |  |
      \ |    CIS:	[73537,3411]				        | /
       \|---------------------------------------------------------------|/
        "It's a sky-blue sky,		         "The future is a place,
         Satellites are out tonite,         About 70 miles east of here,
         Let X = X..."				   Where it's lighter..."

------------------------------

Date: 1 Dec 86 14:42:36 EST
From: Jeffrey Shulman <SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU>
Subject: Usenet Mac Digest V2 #98

Usenet Mac Digest        Monday, 1 December 1986       Volume 2 : Issue 98

Today's Topics:
     Re: Rumours on slotted/colour/68020 Mac?
     Re: Aztec 'C' problem - help!
     True BASIC for the Mac
     problems with Chooser
     Keeping account of usage on Appletalk network
     Re: Mac+ DTR upside down?
     Where's the help button on this thing
     TRS-80 Model 100 => Macintosh communication
     New and improved MacDraft 1.2 (2 messages)
     Re: Problems with Chooser
     MacIntosh to CoCo picture convertor
     Should we support 64K ROMs anymore?
     800K MFS volume
     Re: Should we support 64K ROMs anymore? (2 messages)
     Re: Rumours on slotted/colour/68020 Mac?
     Re: Should we support 64K ROMs anymore?

[ archived as

[SUMEX-AIM.Stanford.EDU]<INFO-MAC>USENETV2-98.ARC

DAVEG
]

End of INFO-MAC Digest