[mod.mac] Delphi Mac Digest V2 #64

SHULMAN@RED.RUTGERS.EDU (Jeffrey Shulman) (12/04/86)

Delphi Mac Digest        Thursday, 4 December 1986     Volume 2 : Issue 64

Today's Topics:
     Traveling DFrame...
     MacinTalk patches
     RE: XP20
     RE: Network
     RE: problems with Chooser
     RE: 800K MFS volume
     Koala out of business? (2 messages)
     RE: Ghost windows
     RE: MPW observations
     printer driver skel?
     RE: Russian fonts
     Re: Should we support 64K ROMs anymore?
     Re: Posting Menus
     Re: Disk drives
     deals too good (3 messages)
     RE: boot problem (2 messages)
     RE: Mac user interface (6 messages)
     RE: INFO-MAC Digest V5 #19 (2 messages)
     DataFrames and performance
     Opening the HD20SC
     RE: Should we support 64K ROMs anymore?
     Startup (3 messages)

From: INC
Subject: Traveling DFrame...
Date: 30-NOV 21:11 Hardware & Peripherals

On a positive note, my DataFrame20 made it to SF and back being bounced around
in a Mac+ bag.

No problems...

------------------------------

From: LOGICHACK
Subject: MacinTalk patches
Date: 1-DEC-00:42: Bugs & Features

To those with non-standard hardware:

After putting up with a gravelly sounding MacinTalk for the last year
or 2, I decided to do something about it.  For those adventurous
enough, try searching for 3b 7c 00 fa 00 20 26 78 and change the fa to
a 78 and the 78 to an fa.  This sequence occurs twice and both have to
be patched.

This patch works on all existing Apple hardware as well as MonsterMacs,
Hyperdrive 2000's, and Human Touch 321 boards.  No I can actually run Talking
Moose!!

Note - this patch does not work 100% on a 321 board with an 020 chip and the
instruction cache.  Works if the cache is disabled.

Paul :)

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: XP20 (Re: Msg 15284)
Date: 1-DEC-19:42: Hardware & Peripherals

Sparky,
  The new drive isn't any different, only the hard/firm-ware.  It's unlikely
to speed up disk accesses a lot unless you're doing large transfers of large
chunks of data.

  We'll be doing MacInTouch benchmarks soon, comparing a 20 to a 20XP.  The
40XP is a lot faster than other disks, apparently because of a fast hard
disk inside (a 5" NEC drive).

  Rodime has just come out with a set of SCSI drives for the Mac, internal
and external, and they claim a fast access time (28ms I think), which might
make them faster than others like FX/20 or DataFrame 20, or Apple jet drive.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: Network (Re: Msg 15348)
Date: 1-DEC-19:52: Hardware & Peripherals

Congratulations to Elaine.  I talked with her, and know it was a tough fight.

You might want to scan earlier message threads here on networking.  We've had
some good discussions.  One thing that seems important to me is that running
applications off someone else's hard disk is a bad idea.  So is using someone
else's System files.  If you've got to do this, probably MacServe is the
best way, where the hard disks are partitioned up into separate volumes for
each person.

However, with TOPS, it's easy to copy files from one place to another.  So you
could make applications available on the hard disk, and a person without a
hard disk could copy the application he/she needs to a RAM disk or local
floppy and use it there.  Data can be easily shared via TOPS (or InBox).

You can do pretty well with a Plus and an external floppy drive, or just the
internal drive and a RAM disk.

There are a few laser spoolers around.  You probably have the MacInTouch
review of LaserSpool.  RICKLEPAGE has been working with LaserServe a little.
It seems quite a bit more powerful, but is copy protected.

As far as hooking the Macs up, it seems that PhoneNet is a lot more cost
effective than Apple AppleTalk cables.

Finally, look for a file server from Apple before summer.  (January?).  That
could be a significant thing to consider for long-range planning.  I'd expect
a box that stands by itself and just gives files to anyone on the network
who wants them, like a standalone Mac running TOPS on a hard disk.

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: problems with Chooser
Date: 1-DEC-20:15: Network Digests

To: joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West)
Subject: problems with Chooser

I have seen this problem a number of times.  I cannot pin it down.  Once I
thought it was caused by using a Laser spooler, but it was not reproducible.
I really don't have a clue as to what's causing it.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: 800K MFS volume
Date: 1-DEC-20:18: Network Digests

To: dbb@aicchi.UUCP (Burch)
Subject: 800K MFS volume

You can create an 800K MFS volume by initializing the disk while running
under System 2.0/Finder 4.1.

I'd like to know if anyone has a patch for the System that would change the
size from 400 to 800K, so that any diskette would automatically be initialized
as MFS instead of HFS, and such that it could be overridden (as it is now
for single-sided disks) by use of the Option key.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Koala out of business?
Date: 2-DEC-15:59: Business Mac

Ben Calica gave me a call to say that all the numbers for Koala, the people who
make the MacVision digitizer, seem to be shutdown with no forwarding number.
Are they out of business???

Ric

------------------------------

From: MACSPARKY
Subject: RE: Koala out of business? (Re: Msg 15395)
Date: 2-DEC-18:17: Business Mac

I got through to Koala a month ago and ordered a software and MacPLus adapter.
But I have never recieved the goods.  I have not tried to call.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Ghost windows (Re: Msg 1037)
Date: 30-NOV 17:56 Programming Techniques

Take a look at Microsoft Chart and you will see how ghost windows work.

I suggested the idea of ghost windows to THINK in connection with a less
obtrusive find/replace in the editor, and they said they thought ghost windows
were likely to disappear in a future release of the interface.  I don't know if
they are on the official list of things not to do if you want your code to run
on the next generation of machines from Apple.

peter

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD
Subject: RE: MPW observations (Re: Msg 1024)
Date: 30-NOV 21:38 Programming Techniques

Paul,

MPW has the earmarks of a "functionally decomposed" system, to use one of the
structured programming buzzwords.  It is up to purchasers to decide if it has
decomposed so much that it has begun to smell...

Any large company starts to become bureaucratic.  Projects these large company
undertake become team rather than individual efforts.  MPW tools can be written
by one person in the framework of the entire product.  'Design by committee' is
done in meetings by people who may not otherwise use the resulting product.
Because each member of the committee has to compromise/play politics to ideas
and desires of the others, the end result will not show the unity of conception
that would have resulted had one person designed everything.  (I don't advise
one person do that - my idea is that an overall technical manager should meld
all other ideas into a _consistent_ framework)

I have a particular dislike for some designers' solutions in MPW - and
I like some others.  (what the features are isn't important) As long
as the decisions do not cripple the product I'm not going to do more
than adapt to them.  Once I do adapt, however, I don't want to chalk
around with another development system until I have to.  That's why I
still prefer the Lisa Workshop, and will use it until I simply can't
anymore.  I'll fiddle with MPW, MDS, Megamax, and a few others, but
until I need to ensure code compatibility or something I don't think
there's a real need to bother.

That C/Asm w/source The Waite Group is putting out is _mucho_interesting_, and
curiousity may kill this Mouse!

The biggest strike _against_ MPW, to my mind, is the nearly total withdrawal of
support for the Lisa Workshop once MPW was introduced.  MPW has not even gone
past beta test yet, but Lisa Pascal has not been updated (aside from HFS glue)
for more than a year, and Lisa Workshop C 'will not be revised'.

Does any of you want a development system which might be abandoned when Apple
goes to the next-generation Macintosh?  Apple has been announcing big profits
lately "due to cost-cutting measures", but I think even a skeleton of support
for its discontinued lines, say for five years, would not cost them much, and
would give them a great deal of respect in the marketplace.

Laird

------------------------------

From: INTECO
Subject: printer driver skel?
Date: 2-DEC-17:35: Developers' Corner

Is there anywhere a printer driver skeleton available. I would like to
interface a Nec P6 to a Mac and use the 24 pins. Or is there any
disassembled (Nosy?) file of the imagewriter? Uwe

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: RE: Russian fonts
Date: 2-DEC-21:11: Network Digests

To: jrolls@bbncc-eur.ARPA

Jay,

According to the latest issue of Retreads for the Mind, the Boston College
Font Project has several of their fonts finished, and given the work is being
done by their Dept. of Slavic and Eastern Languages, I'd give them a try for
a nice, hopefully inexpensive Russian font.  Contact: Prof. M.J. Connolly,
above mentioned dept., Boston College/Carney 236, Chestnut Hill, MA  02167.
(617) 552-3912.

Some alternate sources for Russian fonts:

MacCyrillic, basic Russian keyboard with all extra symbols for Ukrainian,
Byelorussian, Bulgarian, Serbian, Macedonian, and Yakut (let's hear it for
Yakut!)  $49.95, Linguists' Software, 137 Linden St., South Hamilton, MA
01982; (617) 468-3037. (MacConnection sells this one at $39...)

World Class Fonts Vols. 1 & 2.  These are primarily the fonts that Miles
Computing used to sell as Mac the Knife, now cheaper since everyone already
has so many fonts.  Around 80 fonts or so, including Russian fonts named
Gorky, Minsk, Moscow, Nelkan, and Stalingrad.  Now sold by Dubl-Click Software,
18201 Gresham St., Northridge, CA 91325 (818) 349-2758.
Individual volume $39, both volumes, $59 (all the Russian fonts are on
their Volume Two, single volumes from MacConnection at $29, each volume is
three 400K disks).

Alf

"Tell me where a man gets his corn-pone, I'll tell you what his 'pinions
are." - Puddinhead Wilson

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: Re: Should we support 64K ROMs anymore?
Date: 3-DEC-05:04: MUGS Online

To: baron@runx.OZ (Jason Haines)
Subject: Should we support 64K ROMs anymore?

> How should we treat the new features of the 128K ROMs that have
> *NO* 64K ROM counterpart (e.g. QuickDraw(CalcMask,etc), List Manager,
> Time Manager) ?

While I have nothing particularly insightful to say about your question, I just
want to note that the List Manager is not in ROM; it is PACK 0 in System 3.2,
and can be used with 64K ROMs as well as 128K ROMs.

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: Re: Posting Menus
Date: 3-DEC-05:05: MUGS Online

To: CML5A9%IRISHMVS.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: Posting Menus

> Does anyone know how to post an event (or events) to
> cause a menu item to be selected?

There is no way to do this, since MenuSelect uses GetMouse() to track
the mouse.  Further, it calls WaitMouseUp at entry, and exits with a
zero result if WaitMouseUp returns false.

If it's worth the extra effort, you could install a fake command equivalent in
the menu record and then post a keyDown with a char code of that "key."

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: Re: Disk drives
Date: 3-DEC-05:05: MUGS Online

To: LI700016%BROWNVM.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
To: Reply-to: LI700016%BROWNVM.BITNET@WISCVM.ARPA
Subject: Disk drives

> ... a company called "Abaton" for 5 1/4"
> floppy drives for the Mac.  I couldn't find them, however...

Abaton Technology Corp.
7901 Stoneridge Drive, #500
Pleasanton, CA 94566
(415) 463-8822

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: deals too good
Date: 3-DEC-20:01: Network Digests

Jeff,
  I saw some discussion a while back in the net digests about cheap prices
for the Mac - unbelievably cheap prices.  Well, I've just looked at the
Computer Factory ads (New York and Boston) and discovered that they are
advertising prices that include an Apple $250 rebate, thus assuming that
you will buy a peripheral for at least $500 at list price...  Rather
questionable advertising logic.  It looks great when you see "Macintosh Plus
$1399"  but then there's the small print.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MOUSE1
Subject: RE: deals too good (Re: Msg 15411)
Date: 3-DEC-20:39: Network Digests

Their real, honest to goodness price is about $1600-- I just asked
because a friend may want to buy my 512 and I searched the ads to find
out what gave with the $1300 price.  Even their salesmen (to their
credit) dont like the way the ads appear! Thats who I deal with, being
the best of a bad lot here in NYC and they have a deposit on order
from me -- to be applied either to the upgrade or a new Mac+. BTW, I
left a message on CIS asking Apple about the trouble with the upgrades
- and heard -- nothing! Very interesting.  Actually I did hear
something -- 2 people answered saying they had had burnouts and never
could find out why from their dealers! Again - very interesting!
   judy

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: RE: deals too good (Re: Msg 15412)
Date: 4-DEC-00:12: Network Digests

$1600 is actually an excellent price for a Mac Plus.  :-)

Ric

------------------------------

From: HOFFMAN
Subject: RE: boot problem (Re: Msg 15415)
Date: 3-DEC-21:44: Bugs & Features

I have had similar problems many times: Copying files & System FOlder
to a newly-initialized disk.  The new disk wouldn't boot.  This was a
problem under Finder 4.1, as well as 5.3. Forget FEdit here.  Set
Startup, under the Finder is quicker, and does the same thing.  I do
this all the time.

------------------------------

From: BRECHER
Subject: RE: boot problem (Re: Msg 15416)
Date: 4-DEC-02:54: Bugs & Features

Finder's Set Startup does not do the same thing as Fedit's Write Boot
Blocks.  Set Startup does not write boot blocks.  *If* a disk already
has boot blocks, Set Startup will insert the name of the startup
application into them; otherwise it will do nothing.  Finder doesn't
know how to create boot blocks; it knows only how to copy them (when
it copies a System file), and how to put the name of the startup
application into them.

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: Mac user interface
Date: 3-DEC-23:28: Network Digests

>Date: Tue, 2 Dec 86 10:34:36 pst
>From: Julian Lebensold
>From: <lebensold%capone.crim.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
>Subject: Mac user interface

I'm not sure this is part of the Mac user interface as published by Apple, but
it certainly is part of the defacto Mac user interface, and I hate it:

    Option-Shift-younameakey secret commands.

The best example of this is MacPaint, with its innumerable variants for
graphic operations.  Sure it's nice to have these available for the experienced
user, but I have a very difficult time remembering that they even exist, not
to mention which key is which!  There do not seem to be any equivalents to
many of these that can be activated by menus or dialogs.

Microsoft Word is another offender in this department.

peter

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER
Date: 3-DEC-23:41: Network Digests

I can understand disliking secret key combinations that aren't duplicated by
menu items, but what's the objection to combos that are?  And is there really
anything not so duplicated in Microsoft WORD?  I can't think of one (except for
cursor control, which of course is duplciated by the mouse).

Lofty

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Date: 4-DEC-01:24: Network Digests

Page break is what I was thinking of.  It's not on a menu as far as I
know, and you have to use the Enter key, or some variant of it.  I
don't know which one, because it's not on a menu ... :-) I also don't
know if it works on a Mac Plus keyboard.  I do know that you really
need a manual to use MS-WORD to its fullest potential.

Another example from a few days ago:  the option-S or option-D or whatever that
LOGICHACK says activates the scavenger menus in Disk First Aid.

I find that I don't even use visible menu key equivalents very much because I
get confused from one program to other.  That's why I didn't like DDUNHAM's
suggestion that DiskInfo extensions be implemented by more menu commands.  I
vastly prefer to see something (like a button) on the screen to remind me of
what I can do and how to do it.

Absent minded,
peter

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD
Date: 4-DEC-03:35: Network Digests

CC: Julian Lebensold
>From: <lebensold%capone.crim.cdn%ubc.csnet@RELAY.CS.NET>
>Subject: Mac user interface

Many of these <command-option> (cum-shift) alternatives are not only
undocumented but inapparent as well.  Since when has <command-option> been
included in the "Macintosh" manual Finder section? (the book I just glanced at
was dated 1984)

The Macintosh user interface is based on "what you see is what you get".  All
the options should be in the pull-down menus.  Scrolling menus is a hack - the
system should not require so many options - but is sometimes useful to those of
us who spend as much time configuring our systems as using them.  Side-winding
menus (popping up sidewise from the main pull-down) is acceptable as a way of
including extra options, and might even be preferable to checks or renaming
menuItems.  Remember "Use Printer Port"/"Use Modem Port" in Red Ryder?

The difficulty with the pull-down menus is twofold.  First, the
single-button mouse is not consonant with pulling menus.  Having to
hold the mouse down is an unneccessary pain.  Either waving the mouse
over the menuBar could pop a menu up, or a click in the menuTitle area
could lift the menu to be selected with a little more ease (and a
second click would select the item).  Second, grabbing the mouse
interrupts the continuous use of the keyboard.  This is where keyboard
equivalents come in.  These wildcards are _very_ important for the
productive use of the Macintosh - unfortunately there aren't enough
function keys and/or activators, so the oddball combinations get
included.

As an aside, the keyboard itself could stand a revision.  The Macintosh Plus
keyboard changes amounted to a Great Leap Flat-on-the-Face.  It wouldn't be too
hard to fix that little nosedive, I'm sure.  A keyboard cannot be all things to
all people, anyway, but in business, a display may sell the first computer but
the keyboard interaction will be instrumental in selling the next one.  An
avant-garde keyboard might have extra thumb-keys for command-key activation,
and I've described the Mac Plus keyboard problems earlier.  The numeric keypad
is sorely lacking in function - a NumLock for this guy might supply some of
those needed function keys.

In the further realms of cogitation, I would allow the keyboard greater control
over the display.  While all multiple-window applications do not need to select
a FrontWindow from the back, some do, and I would have a standard key doing a
revolving-door BringToFront.  There is no reason a standard key sequence should
not select menus, complete with animation of popping up the menus, traveling up
and down (say with cursor-keys), and selection.  Finally, there might be some
way for the user to lay out his own preferences on top of the application.  I
guess Tempo does a little of this, but I would like the user to see the current
state of affairs, as he has arranged them, right in the menuBar.

Do note that I haven't inspected Tempo, Servant, etc.  I've got enough to keep
busy with.  With the Macintosh, too, I don't feel that pressing need "I know I
could do this simpler if I just did it differently" which I frequently get with
other computers I use.  There's not much difference between one key-stroke and
a dozen, until you find yourself constantly typing those same twelve letters.
In Edit, for instance, what is simpler than command-C/command-S/command-V to
pick up the character sequence to change?

Laird                  The White House User Interface needs an Undo command...
                       Anyone with one can name the price....

------------------------------

From: LOFTUSBECKER
Date: 4-DEC-10:26: Network Digests

Peter, I think you're right about page break and there should be a
menu equivalent.  But that you have to use a manual to get the most
out of WORD isn't, in my view, a major problem. Any program that lets
you do 200 things makes you learn 200 commands, one way or another
(and learn what 200 things it will do, and what things it won't do).
Excel, and every decent database that is more than a simple list
manager makes you read the manual to get full use out of it too.

I completely agree that liking command keys or buttons is a matter of
taste on which there is no right or wrong. In general, I like
Microsoft's tendency to include both choicesi] (even to the "Y" or "N"
in dialog boxes inde9 OY C>Z stead of clicking "Yes" or "No" and let
the user use whatever one he or she prefers.

Lofty

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Date: 4-DEC-11:58: Network Digests

More to the point of the thread, let me include an enthusiastic vote
for hierarchical menus!  I have considered writing an MDEF to do them,
but I haven't found the time to go off on that tangent.  Wish someone
would write it for me!

The specific example where a hierarchical menu would be extremely
useful is in a program I have where my menus initiate dialogs.  The
dialog takes a long time to draw (relatively speaking) and I just want
to make a small adjustment and then exit out of it.  Perfect
application for a two-level hierarchy.

One question I have is whether there should be more than two levels of menu
hierarchy, and it so, should the menus continue to spawn off in the same
direction from the initial one (towards the emptier half of the screen) or
should they zig-zag back over top of the original menu.  I have not had the
please of using systems like Interleaf that have the hierarchical menus, so I
don't know if there is an industry precedent.

peter

------------------------------

From: MOUSEKETEER
Subject: RE: INFO-MAC Digest V5 #19 (Re: Msg 15408)
Date: 4-DEC-00:58: Network Digests

To: bouldin@ceee-sed.ARPA

While I'm sure Apple, at least indirectly, will applaud the move of any 512E
from dealer shelves by January, the Apple program of paying 50% of peripherals
or software up to a total of $250 rebate is not limited to the 512E, but also
includes the Mac+, Apple //e, //c, and even //GS, if you can find one of those
beasts between now and Dec. 24th.

Alf

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Subject: RE: INFO-MAC Digest V5 #19 (Re: Msg 15426)
Date: 4-DEC-01:27: Network Digests

I think one of the ads Apple has been running says "until January 9" for the
rebate.  Peculiar date, eh?

peter

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: DataFrames and performance
Date: 4-DEC-12:25: Hardware & Peripherals

I've just finished a lengthy set of benchmarks on many different configurations
of DataFrame hard disks.  I did it, because it was a good way to compare
the many different components and each one's contribution to overall
performance.  I used our MacInTouch standard benchmarks, which measure the
speed of combined disk and CPU operations that you can expect to encounter
in everyday use of the Macintosh.  Heavily disk-intensive programs would
see a larger difference than our tests display.

1) Software:  going from Init (driver) 1.4 to 2.1 sped up work about 10% overall
2) ROMs:  going to the XP ROM's didn't make much difference in our tests

3) drives: The 40MB NEC provides a large increase in speed.  The 20MB LaPine
now shipping in XP20's provides a moderate increase (about the same as the
change in Init programs).  The classic MicroSci drive in an older DataFrame
was slow enough to keep overall performance down at the average level
we saw with Apple HD20SC, GCC FX/20, and MacBottom SCSI.

4) cache: it always speeds things up a little overall; either Apple's or
Nevins' TurboCharger 2.0.  It's worth using if you've got the RAM for it.

I'll be posting the test results and more information later.  This is mainly
intended to help people plan what to buy, as far as upgrades and all goes.

Ric Ford

------------------------------

From: MACINTOUCH
Subject: Opening the HD20SC
Date: 4-DEC-12:51: Hardware & Peripherals

I figured out, finally, how to open the HD20SC.  The top comes off if
you press in 2 plastic clips on each side, through the small holes in
the topmost grooves in the side; then there are two similar hooks in
the back, inside the slots at the sides of the SCSI connectors;
finally, the front must be unhooked last, after raising the back -- BE
CAREFUL not to break off the brittle plastic hooks.

Inside, it's apparent instantly why the thing makes so much noise:  everything
is heavily shielded with light-weight sheet metal, which no doubt vibrates at
many different (and noisy) frequencies.  Kind of like the new-style doors on
VAXen (for RFI containment).

There's a Sony power supply module, a Seagate ST225, and that's all she wrote.

<Thanks to the unknowing Peabo, who has a real excuse now not to give me the
MacBottom back! :-)

Ric Ford
"MacInTouch"

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD
Date: 4-DEC-03:31: Network Digests

To: tim@hoptoad.uucp (Tim Maroney) Re: Should we support 64K ROMs anymore?

From debugging Lisa Workshop C code (the same Green Hills compiler) I estimate
that an assembler programmer could halve the code even leaving in LINK/UNLK and
passing parameters.  This is good for a compiler; nearly as good as Aztec.

I compared Lisa Pascal to the MPW Pascal compiler and was surprised to find the
code size significantly _larger_ in MPW!  This may have been "due to the glue"
but larger it was; I only bothered to check it for one small program.

Laird                                   "The best things in life are for sale."

------------------------------

From: CFULLER
Subject: Startup
Date: 4-DEC-03:00: Programming Techniques

I remember hearing Apple changed the protocol for self installing
System patches, but I lost the actual details.  Something to do with
avoiding INIT resources, but setting a certain bit of a named
application in the system folder so it would be run at startup.  I'd
like to use this to run the wonderful patch AutoBlack and a nd
MacsBug.  Currently Autoblack has to be named Macsbug, which is
misleading.  Anyone know where the info can be found?  Thanks.
--clayton

------------------------------

From: MACLAIRD
Subject: RE: Startup (Re: Msg 1056)
Date: 4-DEC-03:26: Programming Techniques

You are referring to the "INIT 31" mechanism.  This is documented in Tech NOte
#14, which as usual I don't have in front of me (I do have an index).  It's in
the Data Base:  for a quicky, SEArch, EXPand, TN#14, EXIT (?), READ, should get
you there.

If I remember, you put a file of Type INIT and Creator /\/\/\/\ in the System
folder, rather than reinstalling it into the System file every time, although
that works too.

Have at it!

Laird

------------------------------

From: PEABO
Date: 4-DEC-11:49: Programming Techniques

Unfortunately, Laird's answer about the INIT resources won't solve your problem
with AutoBlack, because AutoBlack does not use the INIT mechanism to install
itself!  (I call it lazyness, myself ...)

The only was to deal with this is to call MacsBug "Disassembler" (or whatever)
like it says in the AutoBlack documentation.

You could also send a letter to the AutoBlack author complaining about his
lazyness in not using a supported mechanism for installation.  :-)

peter

End of Delphi Mac Digest
-------