Date: Mon, 8 Dec 86 12:41:43 EST
From: singer@harvard.HARVARD.EDU (Andrew Singer)
Subject: Re: Loading Random Segments

You are being overly naive to the ways of the Macintosh.

The Resource Mgr maintains a list of open resource file maps.  When it needs to
load a resource, it searches the resource maps starting at CurResFile and
proceeding down the list until the last resource map (which should be
the System unless you've been diabolical).

When you OpenResFile, the new ResFile is inserted at the head of the list
and becomes CurResFile (unless the file was already open, in which case it
DOES become CurResFile (contrary to IM) but DOES NOT go to the top of the list,
it stays where it was).

When you call a routine in another segment (that isn't already loaded), the
segment loader will call GetResource on the CODE segment it needs to load.
The resource mgr will search the maps on its list and get the first CODE
resource of the ID requested that it finds.  In your case, it's finding a CODE
resource in the file your program opened, before it searches your application's
resource map.  C'est la Mac, c'est la guerre.

You gotta problem.

How about doing this:

	/* when you initialize things do this: */
	myAppResFile = CurResFile();
	theOtherFile = OpenResFile("\pMy Other File");
	UseResFile( myAppResFile );
	/* when you have to operate on the other resfile, bound it by */
	/* UseResFile calls: */
	saveResFile = CurResFile();
	UseResFile( theOtherFile );
	/* now do what you need to do with this other file */
	/* DON'T make any calls to segments which are not already */
	/* in memory !!! */
	UseResFile( saveResFile );

In any case, you must tread carefully here!!

Who invented liquid soap? Proctor and Gamble???

			Hopefully helpfully,
			Steve Stein, THINK Technologies, Inc.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Dec 86 11:38:07 PST
From: gunther.pa@Xerox.COM
Subject: Re: DASampler File Format?

re: Note from moderator: INFO-MAC Digest   V5 #22

I think David's (the moderator) comment might deflect from the original
inquiry.  I'm fully aware of how to generate the DA code (DRVR resource)
in the Megamax Development System (it's still there in 3.0).  The
problem is that the DASampler doesn't 'see' the generated DA file.
RMoving it into the System will ('permanently') instantiate it in the
Apple Menu.  The fix for the Sampler may require a CREATOR id edit or I
don't know what.

Since the DASampler approach to previewing DA's is so prevalent in
public domain code,  I thought I'd ask before embarking on another hack
attack.

Still looking for help.

 Neil.

------------------------------

From: dsc@seismo.CSS.GOV (David S. Comay)
Subject: hidden commands in `hd-test'
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 86 10:19:24 EST

i understand the apple supplied `hd-test' program (for their own hd-20
hard drive) has a number of options (like starting the program with the
option key held down or other such things) that are not documented.
could someone please fill me in on these options and what they do or
point me in the direction of the documentation.

also, does anyone have any comments on central point software's 800k
external drive.  i would like to use it with a 64k rom, 512k ram mac.
am i correct in believing that i just need a copy of the `hard disk 20'
system file in my system folder to use this or any external 800k
drive?

thanks for any information,

dsc

`i believe in coyotes and time as an abstract'

------------------------------

Date: 8 Dec 86 15:23:00 EST
From: <bouldin@ceee-sed.ARPA>
Subject: More on 68020's and Macwrite

Novy systems is selling a 68020/881 plug in for the Mac ($750 with 881,
$595 with 'only' the 020). They have a patch for Macwrite.

Also, there is now a clip-on version for the 512E ($99.00 extra for the
clip-on). A clip-on version is expected shortly for the MacPlus.

They do not yet have a policy for selling the Macwrite patch except with
their boards.

A patch to SANE to let any languag access the 881 for hardware floating point
should be out in January.

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Dec 86 14:43:32 CST
From: Paul DuBois <dubois@unix.macc.wisc.edu>
Subject: TransDisplay Bug

Actually, a mistake in the documentation.  On the last page of
the TransDisplay manual there's a hunk of code showing how to clobber
a display window when it gets a click in the close box.  The
test says

	if (w->visible != 0)

when it should (of course) say

	if (w->visible == 0)
---
Paul DuBois     UUCP: {allegra,ihnp4,seismo}!uwvax!uwmacc!dubois    |
                ARPA: dubois@easter                               --+--
                      dubois@rhesus                                 |

"What is lacking cannot be counted." - Solomon the cladist
                                       (Ecclesiastes 1:15)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Dec 86 16:48:50 PST
From: c160-ef%zooey.Berkeley.EDU@BERKELEY.EDU (Pai H. Chou)
Subject: turbo pascal

I have MacPascal, TML 1.1, and now Turbo.  I think turbo is great --
the same program that took 13 minutes on TML (compile only, not including
linking) takes 30 sec on Turbo; Turbo's editor supports UNDO -- which
is pretty rare nowadays; I mean, once you're in turbo, you're spoiled.
but I am not going to abandon MacPascal: I still use it for all my homework
purpose because interpreters are much nicer for debugging.

Now as high school kids start picking up pascal, cs classes are switching
to C.  I wish somebody writes a MacPascal-equivalent C -- things like
auto indent & format, bold keywords, Observe window, and INTERPRETED.

Pai
(disclaimer: I am not associated with any companies whose products were
	     mentioned above.)

------------------------------

Subject: MacMan
Date: Sun, 07 Dec 86 17:54:45 -0800
From: duggie@portia.STANFORD.EDU

I downloaded all five parts of macman (400K+) and it seems to work (I did
have some trouble with MacIP downloading at 9600 baud, two files had
single character glitches in them, but this is besides the point).  I say
seems to work because it`s a minimal program if this is all it is.  Info
from IM (the parameters and some paragraphs describing the procedure or
function) is displayed in a text edit window.  This window is not resizable,
and although it will highlight text you select, it will not let you edit
it or copy it for transfer via the clipboard.  One can access these
descriptions either via category (rather unorthodox, a large array of radio
buttons, and as soon as you select one -- no OK button -- you are presented
with a dialog box with which to select the procedure) or by typing in the
name and hoping you get a hit.  If you miss you look at routines beginning
with the same first letter.  Unfortunately the box simply presents the routine
name and either next, select, or cancel -- i.e. you only see one name at a
time, and you can't scroll backwards if you pass it, and you have to keep
pressing the Next button.  Some of the routines are missing (Random) and
new routines (i.e. Vol IV) are not included.  At least some relevant data
structures are present (FontRecs).  The routine names you select from are
all lower case (not like inside mac, so they are difficult to read) although
those in the text description are capitalized normally.  Names leading to
routines with no parameters have semi-colons at the end.

Now after ragging on this program let me say that it could be very useful and
is a bit even in its current state. It was obviously a lot of work getting the
data in there (although Apple may consider this illegal) and it wouldn't take
that much work to fix it up, so I suggest passing on this one and waiting for
the author to come out with a more reasonable version.  It's too much work to
download and piece together (even at 9600 baud!) except for diehards.  Or
someone might contact the author and ask him (and Apple!) for permission to
use the data file.  It's just a large text file with some coding, plus an
index file.

I'm kinda busy or I'd try it myself.  Someone should have come out with this
two years ago.

-- doug
   duggie@portia.stanford.edu

"it's = it is, its = belonging to it.  but does anybody care?"

P.S.  I just looked at the text file and random is in there after all.  The
question now is why it wasn't found when I typed 'random' to the search
dialog.  Like I said before, perhaps the version I downloaded ran, but was
still somehow corrupted...

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Dec 86 15:38:16 EST
From: ANDERSEN <sigurd@vax1.ACS.UDEL.EDU>
Subject: Historical simulations

Two simulations are available through "Kinko's Courseware," distributed
through Kinko's copy store across the U.S.  One is "Treaty of Versailles"
by Eric D. Brose at Drexel University - "A series of exercises to help
students understand the main problems confronting the diplomats who drafted
the treaties ending World War I."  The second is "The Would-Be Gentleman"
by Carolyn Lougee at Stanford University - "A simulation of social mobility
in the France of King Louis XIV."  I've tried the second one - it's said to
be accurate down to the weather for given years - and rather difficult to
"win," but then, I'm no French history scholar.

The descriptions above are taken from the "Kinko's Academic Courseware
Exchange Catalog."  Address and phone given are Kinko's Service Corp.,
4141 State St., Santa Barbara, CA 93110  (800) 235-6919 or in CA  (800)
292-6640.

I have no association with Kinko's or either of the authors.

------------------------------

Date: Sun 7 Dec 86 18:43:59-PST
From: Lance Nakata <K.Kirin@LEAR.STANFORD.EDU>
Subject: Re: Tools to Recover 'Damaged' Diskettes?

I haven't used MacZap before, but I've had fairly good success using
Fedit Plus to recover MacPaint documents.  I would first use Copy II
Mac 5.4 or later (6.2 is the latest) to make a double-sided copy of
the damaged disk.  Use the "Sector Copy with Format" option.  Sometimes,
this is enough to resurrect the disk depending upon the damage.

If the sector copy gives the same error message, you will have to use
Fedit Plus to rescue MacPaint documents by hand.  If you don't know any
Fedit hackers, you can attempt to recover files off of the COPIED DISK
by first studying the format of a good MacPaint file.  Use that info to
search for the your lost documents on the copy.

Fedit Plus is powerful and slightly complex.  If you're still in need
of assistance, try including a U.S. mail address and I'll see if I can
write up some step-by-step info.

Lance

------------------------------

Subject: Hyper Drive Recovery
Date: Mon, 08 Dec 86 11:39:15 EST
From: tgw@mitre-bedford.ARPA

The mac owned by my department head appears to have a trashed first
cylinder on its Hyperdrive Hard Disk.  Is there any way to recover the
data on the disk either by a software package, etc.  Sending the disk
out is not the best option but if there is a company that will recover
lost files on a disk, it might be the only option.

Moral of the story: Back up your hard disks!!!!

Thanks,

Tim Wade
(tgw@mitre-bedford.arpa)

------------------------------

Date: 8 DEC 86 16:58-N
From: U00170%HASARA5.BITNET@WISCVM.WISC.EDU
Subject: VAX-Laserwriter connection

I am working on a VAX 11/750 machine working with the VMS operating
system. For printing of text we have bought an Apple Laserwriter +,
connected to a terminal line and acting as a spooled printing device.
In order to get the most out of your Laserwriter, the best thing
is to have it working in Postscript mode, so graphics output can be
mixed with normal text files.
I have now two problems,
1: Apple text files need to be transferred to the VAX first and
   then send to the Laserwriter. a: What is the best way to make
   a postscript textfile and b: who has the startup file necessary
   to setup the Laserwriter.
2: For normal text files , say e.g. Runoff output files, you simply
   cannot send them to the Laserwriter unless it is in the Diablo
   emulation mode. Before I reinvent the wheel again, Has anybody
   written a program to convert these text files (an any other
   file) into postscript text files?
I am sure that I am not the first one with these problems.

Please send mail directly to me because I am not a member of
this interest group.!!

Thanks in advance,
Berend F. de Vries,
U00170@HASARA5 (BITNET)

------------------------------

Date: Mon, 8 Dec 86 21:47:56 EST
From: Dave Anderer <anderer@louie.udel.EDU>
Subject: SCSI/Ethernet
Sender: Dave Anderer <anderer@louie.udel.EDU>

A co-worker brought up an interesting point the other day:  Since the
Mac Plus has a relatively high-bandwidth port on it (the SCSI port),
why couldn't you construct a box that sat between that port and an
Ethernet?  Such a box, and some software, would give a relatively
low-cost method of hooking up to something other than Appletalk.

Is this reasonable?  Has it been done?  Is there a 'better' way to
accomplish this?

[ note from moderator: There have been rumors that Kinetics is going to
introduce an ethernet box which hooks up to the SCSI port in January. DAVEG ]

End of INFO-MAC Digest